PDA

View Full Version : Diversity in the Lawn & Landscape Industry

Lawn Enforcer
11-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey everyone,
I have a 5 page essay due tomorrow (nothing like waiting until the last minute) and it is about diversity in an industry. I chose the lawn and landscape industry, and what do you think makes our industry so diverse? This is a broad topic, go nuts. Thanks!

ALC-GregH
11-29-2009, 07:18 PM
you mean give you the answer? I have no clue, sorry. But, this reminds me of long winded post Bruce made in another thread but I won't go there. I will say, if your going to wait until the last day to do it and then post a thread asking others to basically give you the answer, then I hope you fail the course. Maybe that will help you to understand the importance of doing research (homework) and learning about what your after. Hows that for nuts? Good luck.

Yater
11-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't base my paper on anything said around here. ALC-greg is a fine example. The dude never learned the appropriate use of your/you're or how to use an apostrophe. It's basic stuff, but if you can't grasp elementary grammar, you don't have anything to offer.

Hanau
11-29-2009, 07:29 PM
How about you interview different business owners?

If you'd like send me a PM or an email with some questions and I'll answer them. Hopefully a few others will volunteer to as well. Than you can write some sort of paper about that.

Good luck.

Lugnut
11-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Well one thing i would note is the broad difference in company sizes throughout the industry. You have guys working solo and making a good living, and you have companies with hundreds of employees, and every number in between. How many other industries are there where a solo operation can even survive, let alone prosper. I'd be more than willing to help you out with a survey or answering some questions as well if you would like the perspective of a small but growing company.

Lawn Enforcer
11-29-2009, 08:06 PM
you mean give you the answer? I have no clue, sorry. But, this reminds me of long winded post Bruce made in another thread but I won't go there. I will say, if your going to wait until the last day to do it and then post a thread asking others to basically give you the answer, then I hope you fail the course. Maybe that will help you to understand the importance of doing research (homework) and learning about what your after. Hows that for nuts? Good luck.

Wow, obviously you took me the wrong way. I have my rough draft done and everything, I'm just looking for some ideas to maybe spruce up the paper, some interesting things about the green industry and how it is diverse. I have things about diverse workers, equipment, techniques, services, etc. I did research, just looking for some fun ideas. That's what I meant about nuts.

Lawn Enforcer
11-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Well one thing i would note is the broad difference in company sizes throughout the industry. You have guys working solo and making a good living, and you have companies with hundreds of employees, and every number in between. How many other industries are there where a solo operation can even survive, let alone prosper. I'd be more than willing to help you out with a survey or answering some questions as well if you would like the perspective of a small but growing company.

Excellent point, I mention in my paper how I make it with only me and my dad, but I haven't expanded on larger companies. Thanks!

Hanau- thanks for the offer-if I need some questions answered, I'll PM you, thanks!

DLAWNS
11-30-2009, 02:12 AM
If it's not too late, I'd be happy to give you some ideas if you have some more specific questions. I can't think of anything off the top of my head as it seems like you have come up with the basic gist of your paper. But if there's any way that I can help, just ask away.

dhunterd08
11-30-2009, 02:14 AM
comeing from an econ major's perspective... what makes this industry so diverse is the low low low barriers to entry. the diversity in skill level is huge as well your average 12 year old can enter and be succesful in he business as well as someone with a degree in landscape design(not sure if they have a masters or anyting) that can do everything from irrigation to retaining walls to your average landscape maintenance. I would argue there is not another industry that has such low barriers when it comes to laws and permits,equipment, startup costs, availability of consumers for this service. Idk just my thoughts lol

CkLandscapingOrlando
11-30-2009, 08:16 AM
On the same lines as the last post... Education. We got 4th grade drop outs to PHD holders and every thing inbetween. Public perception to. Most think we are that 4th grade drop out and feel the pay should be inline.

Lawn Enforcer
11-30-2009, 02:10 PM
A lot of my paper was based on the diversity of people with no experience working with some cheap equipment to people who have owned and operated a 50+ employee company for 20 years.

mdlwn1
11-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Just a funny thought...

Kiril
11-30-2009, 03:16 PM
There are lots of different kinds of diversity ..... but I say ..... DO YOUR OWN DAMN HOME WORK!

1993lx172
11-30-2009, 03:56 PM
He did. On the first page he said that he has his rough draft COMPLETED. He is just looking to shore up some of his points by using LS and us as a source which will be cited on the works cited page. The paper is done all he had to do was change some stuff around and clean up the grammatical errors.

jvanvliet
11-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Down here diversity means a disproportionate (relative to the population) high number of gays, lesbians, people of color (other than white); liberals; a fair and balanced proportion of people based on work ethic, skill and ability = lack of diversity, close mindedness, bigotry, homophobia & right wing radicals, nazizm, etc.

Hard paper to write...

freshprince94
11-30-2009, 08:01 PM
I agree with what the other guys are saying about how easy it is to start, and how people of numerous levels work in the lawn and landscape industry.

You could talk about how the labor force of the landscape industry is over 50% hispanic (I read this in L&L Mag) but 90% of the supervisory level/designers are white.

You could also add in about how the mission of people in this industry is so different. You have your lowballer with the push mower and the Homelite trimmer in the back of his Jeep who's trying to ride out the economy. You have the young kid trying to make a few extra bucks. You have the lifers who have worked in this industry for most of their lives because they couldn't do much else, and could take it or leave it, but don't really want to expand to a big company. You have the guys who are passionate about their work and love the trade of landscaping. You have the big companies run by CEOs who by now don't know a thing about landscaping. And, of course, you have the retirees who got tired of sitting around watching Martha Stewart with their wives all day and decided to cut a little grass in their spare time.

The landscape industry is also diverse in the way that it offers so many different services and things. You have maintenance and mowing, design, tree work, fert and squirt, plant installation and care, irrigation, hardscaping, etc.

Hope this helps and if you've already finished the essay at least I made a few interesting points.

Yater
11-30-2009, 09:10 PM
On the same lines as the last post... Education. We got 4th grade drop outs to PHD holders and every thing inbetween. Public perception to. Most think we are that 4th grade drop out and feel the pay should be inline.

You'll need to present yourself as something other than a highschool dropout. If you're articulate, people will immediately recognize it. Customers trust me because they can relate to me. Whether they're teachers or Doctors, I can speak the language. I wish I had the equipment and design knowledge that some of these guys on LS have. I can get a "foot in the door", but I just can't swing those big jobs (I have a full-time job).

Triplex
11-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Diversity in both workers' ethinicities and the size and sophistication of firms has been addressed, but one more thing I thought of is that there are many specialized kinds of landscape businesses, and a lot of people working in this field have jobs that don't involve cutting grass - some firms install and maintain irrigation systems, some do hardscaping, some manage golf courses, some specialize in chemical application, etc.

santafe
11-30-2009, 11:04 PM
to greg and kiril, do you all take those lovely personalities out in public?

brucec32
12-01-2009, 02:34 AM
If you're at an American college or high school in the year 2009 I'm pretty sure by "diversity"they mean they want you to talk about how many different ethic, gender, or other politically correct groups are involved.

ALC-GregH
12-01-2009, 10:15 AM

If your talking about me, no, I only shine here on LS. :D

Kiril
12-01-2009, 10:21 AM

Well, the kid should be doing research and actually learning something instead of posting on this forum looking for help writing his essay. Now if he had posted his essay and asked for proof reading that would have been a different matter, but he didn't.

Lawn Enforcer
12-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, the kid should be doing research and actually learning something instead of posting on this forum looking for help writing his essay. Now if he had posted his essay and asked for proof reading that would have been a different matter, but he didn't.

I did do my research. Read the posts. And Lawnsite.com is one of my resources, because after all, this is a huge resource for the green industry. My essay was done, but I still wanted to see if anyone else had ideas out there. I did three weeks of research already, so chill out. I don't cheat, I pave my own way.

To those who posted helpful suggestions, thank you!

Yater
12-01-2009, 03:21 PM

This is f-ing FUNNY!

To all of you highschool dropouts:

When you write a research paper, you need sources for your information. I've bought lunch for PhDs and spent countless hours at internships. Picking brains is what learned people do. You only know what you're taught.

Lugnut
12-01-2009, 09:55 PM
There's no better source of information than from the people who actively work in the field you're researching. Any quotes or statements that are properly noted almost always make a paper more interesting, as well as add credibility to it.

Kiril
12-02-2009, 11:39 AM
This is f-ing FUNNY!

Why didn't he present the paper then? Rough draft was already done according to him. Fact of the matter is, he just threw out a very general question, which suggests the "rough draft" was incomplete at best.

To all of you highschool dropouts:

When you write a research paper, you need sources for your information. I've bought lunch for PhDs and spent countless hours at internships. Picking brains is what learned people do.

Odd. Here I thought when one goes to an "interview", he/she might have some specific questions, no?

The only thing that is funny here is the fact the OP is attempting to write a 5 page essay on such a broad topic .... and if he doesn't narrow it down, will probably earn him a crappy grade.

You only know what you're taught.

I see, so experience counts for nothing?

Triplex
12-03-2009, 12:42 AM
If you're at an American college or high school in the year 2009 I'm pretty sure by "diversity"they mean they want you to talk about how many different ethic, gender, or other politically correct groups are involved.

That's exactly what's wrong with most college administrators - "diversity" means a certain percentage of racial minorities to make the administrators feel good about themselves, while the rest of the student body is a bunch of homogeneous Abercrombie-wearing preppies. I'd rather see a diverse group of personalities and ideas, but college administrators don't think like that.