PDA

View Full Version : TOO good to be true.....tractor price

steveair
04-18-2000, 07:48 AM
Hello,<p>I just got my Northern Equip. catalog today and they have a unbelievable price on a tractor. <p>Its called a NorTrac. Supposely it has 4wd, a 20 HP diesel, a 3 pt hitch, power steering, and a 2 stage clutch.<p>Price.....5999.99<p>Is this too good to be true?<p>I just called and they are faxing/mailing more info over to me today. On the phone, they said they are just starting to carry tractors and are setting up parts centers in S.C. and Minnesota.<p>They say they are made in china, which could mean some pretty shotty construction/odd parts.<p>My question is what do you guys think. <p>For the price, it sounds very tempting. A new kubota/john deer is way above this. Is this too good to be true.<p>They supposely also have a 25 HP model along with a catalog of attachments.<p>It seems like for 12 grand, I could get a complete loader/tractor/backhoe setup. Very tempting considering I was looking into a dingo or gravely skidster which start at 11k base. <p>I work part time, so I wouldn't be running the hell out of it. For a &quot;part time&quot; machine, it seems to be worth considering. Even if it breaks occasionally, how hard could it be to fix (well, maybe, but I'd imagine it could earn its keep quickly). Most tractor parts are pretty common these days. Also, with the diesel, I can't see it having any major engine problems. <p>I usually rent my machines, which is starting to add up. For this kind of price, it seems like theres nothing to really lose. <p>Any comments greatly appreciated.<p>steveair<p>

thelawnguy
04-18-2000, 08:42 AM
Whatever you decide to get, when you buy the backhoe attachment get the type with a full subframe and stay away from the 3 point hitch mount type, the backhoe will bend the crap out of the 3 point hitch in no time. <p>Bill

steveair
04-18-2000, 09:58 AM
Thanks lawnguy,<p>Where i use to work we had a 855 with a kelly backhoe, and your right, it broke the mounting pin on the back of the tractor twice. Ending up having to do some welding and we unable to put any other attachments on when finished. Was a strong hoe though, just not a good set up. I believe it did mount on the frame, underneath, but also attached to a rod in the back. thats the part that kept snapping. I guess its a problem in general with the smaller hoe/tractor setups.<p>steveair<br>

paul
04-18-2000, 06:03 PM
be careful with this type of equipment, who can service it even if you can get parts. does it have wet brakes? Can you lift the equipment you need with the 3 point hitch? how may hp at pto enough to run a harley rake?<p>----------<br>paul<br>

JB1
04-18-2000, 07:25 PM
I don't know you or know what kind of operation you run , but i would walk away and would look at something else.Go with a name brand john deere , ford ,kubota or something. I know its more money but you'll be money ahead . Go to a dealer near you that can take care of your parts needs and service. If it breaks down you can't wait a month for partswhen you need it yesterday.

steveair
04-25-2000, 07:17 AM
Hello again,<p>Just been pricing out tractors again and well, the numbers are just ridiculous. Got a price for a new kubota B21 and with backhoe, looking at 27k almost. Its hard to justify that kind of purchase. <p>The northern tractor still sounds real temping. For 11k, can get a 25 horse with a loader, 4wd, etc. A big price difference.<p>I know I want a name brand, but with the difference of 10k in base price, the tractor seems to be a solid deal. Plus, these days, with the demand for compact machines, company's like kubota and john deere are without a doubt playing the high demand out and charging more for their machines. These days, every other home owner has a compact sitting in their back yards. I really feel that tractors are getting overpriced. For almost 27k, you can buy a real nice pickup with a 200 HP diesel, AC, and other stuff. Its tough to compare a 20 HP tractor to a truck, so to me theres no doubt that the machines are overpriced.<p>I asked, and it is made in china by a company called JIMA. They have been making tractor for 50 years in china, so they actually do have a decent reputation.<p>Even though parts and servicing may be difficult, the 10k difference seems like it could out weigh that. I don't plan on using it quite so heavily as you guys might, so it seems like it might hold up. <p>I just don't know. Even if it is a piece of junk, being a new machine it would have to hold up for a couple of years. Could easily make its money in half that time.<p>Any more advice aprreciated.<p>steveair<p>

paul
04-25-2000, 06:57 PM
I would still stick with the new Holland's or the Kubota even with the price difference. our oldest tractors is now 15 years old, it still runs fine. I can't see wasting $11,000 on a machine that you might get for five years out of. Right now they're offering some great interest rates on new machines, we just purchased a new Holland TC 45 without a loader for under 23,000. You're not looking at a machine this big. So the price should be down some, also compare apples to apples. The northern machine as a bare tractor whereas the Kubota is a combo machine.<p>----------<br>paul<br>