PDA

View Full Version : Truck suspension opinions

talus
11-29-2009, 09:01 PM
What would you guys consider to be the best suspension for a dump and why. Hendrickson,Chalmers,air ride etc.

Gravel Rat
11-30-2009, 04:25 AM
It all depends on where you are hauling. If this truck is a pavement queen and you spend 99% of the time on road air ride works the best.

Do lots of offroad or run really heavy then go with Hendrickson Extended leaf it works good for offroad and rides decent.

Then you have the rubber rides like Chalmers, Freightliner Tufftrac and Hendrickson makes them too.

The problem with air ride is when you use the trucks offroad you have to drop the bags so you are more stable. Now that makes the axles not articulate now your stuck.

A truck with spring suspension (not wagon) I'am talking about walking beam spring the axles flex. They don't flex as much as Chalmers or Freightliner Tuff Trac.

The other problem with air ride is they don't do well with overloaded conditions. A dump truck is never totally legal on axle weights.

Down in the USA I think you guys are only allowed 34,000lbs on the tandems here in B.C. we are 37,500lbs.

As I said it all depends on what you want to do with the truck.

CLARK LAWN
11-30-2009, 08:40 AM
for one thats off road alot and heavy hauling i like the Mack camelback.