PDA

View Full Version : How to pay your employees

Green Industry Pro
11-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Hey guys,
I need help figuring out how to pay the workers on my landscape maintenance crew.I havnt hired anyone yet(thankfully) but Im considering sometime in the future and I want to have everything in order.Once again Im new to the commercial business and Im young(trying to start my carreer in L&L rather than work at a fast food joint).I maintain several small to medium size residential properties with the help of my brother and sometimes my dad.I live in East Texas so I know the methods might be different in your part of the country,but Im sure that they can apply to me aswell.

THANKS POROWSKI LAWN AND LANDSCAPE

:usflag::usflag::usflag: GOD BLESS AMERICA

JB1
11-29-2009, 11:30 PM
we use checks at the end of the week.

Green Industry Pro
11-29-2009, 11:34 PM
OK, but how do you determine how much to pay them on their check.Do you decide based on a percentage of the amount you charge per property, an hourly salary,or what.

THANKS

POROWSKI LAWN AND LANDSCAPE :usflag::usflag::usflag:

RollingZimmer
11-29-2009, 11:46 PM
tons of ways to look at this.

experience, insurance costs for them, how productive they are etc.

my friend gets 9.50 an hour under the table. id give him more but i cant technically write it off.

but pay them by the hour, that way they make money but youll still make yours.

bohiaa
11-30-2009, 12:47 AM
you need to re phrase your Q.

as you know "or should" you can pay out 600.00 PER YEAR. with out paying taxes.
in TEXAS you can have 5 employees with out having workers comp.
be carefull on that one. some comerical accounts will demand it.
http://www.window.state.tx.us/procurement/prog/
check out this web site, it will help you a lot.

Best of luck

DLAWNS
11-30-2009, 02:06 AM
I pay my guys an hourly wage depending on their experience level. If they work over 40 hours they get paid time and a half. Also if they work extra hard and do a great job, or work through rain, extreme heat, or just put in the extra effort I will give them small bonuses when I feel it is warranted.

topsites
11-30-2009, 03:46 AM
I think you will want to start looking into speaking with an accountant, a CPA.

punt66
11-30-2009, 04:08 AM
quickbooks pro. You will need to take deductions and pay the Gov. You will need a FEIN number. Workers comp insurance. Pay by the hour.

AzLawnMan
12-02-2009, 10:17 PM
I used to pay my formans salary, and the labor guys hourly. Now I pay everyone salary. Its not for everyone but I have found that I dont have to worry about hours anymore, overtime, my workmans comp changing and most of all the guys know there check isnt going to be any less than 40 hours a week. Now if you dont have the work then hourly is the way. We usually do about 50-60 hours in the summer months and about 40-45 in the winter months so anyway you look at it I am still doing good. Not every employee will go for it, but I always tell them that I can pay them hourly but if the time comes where I have to cut hours, they are the first. Like I said not for everyone but after 8 years of doing it this way it seems to work out fine. If your looking to hire 1 guy try it out, especially in these times, he will work harder and longer because he knows not every company will give him 40 hours a week.

unkownfl
12-02-2009, 11:35 PM
In FL you can't pay salary and not pay over time. Unless you are a exempt employee or non exempt I forget which way. Pay hourly you can try piece work but generally its more of a pia just keeping up with everything. If equipment fails you are suppose to pay hourly for the down time and then you have drive time you are suppose to pay hourly as well.

360ci
12-03-2009, 11:05 PM
I pay hourly. It keeps things simple. Weekly pay is a good way to start. I prefer every two weeks. Friday to the Thursday and they get the cheque on the Friday, so there's no waiting a week BS.

Green Industry Pro
12-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks so much for your responses.Ill check those things out.If you or anyone else has anymore info keep it coming.Bye from texas yall LOL.:usflag::usflag::usflag:

POROWSKI LAWN AND LANDSCAPE

PROCUT1
12-04-2009, 07:54 PM
You have to pay them hourly by law.

SNAPPER MAN
12-05-2009, 12:31 AM
We pay hourly and always straight time, no overtime. If we work 60 hours you get paid for 60 hours.

unkownfl
12-05-2009, 01:38 AM
We pay hourly and always straight time, no overtime. If we work 60 hours you get paid for 60 hours.

Is that legal over in Texas?