PDA

View Full Version : Who's a Member of ALMA?

GPDesign1
11-30-2009, 10:01 AM
We were contacted by this group called ALMA (American Landscape Maintenance Association) about becoming an equipment supplier affiliate. I'd never heard of 'em...

http://www.almanow.com/

The founder, Tommy Ganz, claims to be one of the original partners of U.S. Lawns. Looks kinda like a quasi-franchise deal...

Anybody here a member? What's your take- good, bad or indifferent?

BrendonTW
11-30-2009, 10:42 AM
We were contacted by this group called ALMA (American Landscape Maintenance Association) about becoming an equipment supplier affiliate. I'd never heard of 'em...

The founder, Tommy Ganz, claims to be one of the original partners of U.S. Lawns. Looks kinda like a quasi-franchise deal...

I'm a member. Tommy loves what he does and is very comitted to his subscribers. He always let's us know about what's going on at ALMA and he recently partnered with another guy. They are putting together a new site and there should be more resources coming soon. There is already a lot of helpful resources on the site and Tommy is very knowledgable about this industry. I would never hesitate to ask him a question or ask him for help. Also I know he would be very helpful and personal in response.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
11-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Tell me something...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
In 2007, 58% of all new "non-franchise" businesses failed. In that same year, only 8% of new franchise businesses failed in their first year. An even more staggering statistic is looking over the past five years...only 17% of all new "franchised" businesses failed, but a whopping 69% of all new non franchised businesses closed their doors during that period.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What do you see in that statement?

No, this isn't a psychology quiz :laugh:

mdlwn1
11-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Not that his info isnt good for newbies, it's just clearly a for profit situation...

dishboy
11-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Tell me something...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
In 2007, 58% of all new "non-franchise" businesses failed. In that same year, only 8% of new franchise businesses failed in their first year. An even more staggering statistic is looking over the past five years...only 17% of all new "franchised" businesses failed, but a whopping 69% of all new non franchised businesses closed their doors during that period.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What do you see in that statement?

No, this isn't a psychology quiz :laugh:

Most new business fails because lack of capital investment IMO. Most franchises require capital large capital investment . I think fail /success is more dependent on Capital not whether it is a franchise or not.

DLAWNS
11-30-2009, 08:16 PM
I've talked to him a few times and seems really knowledgeable. I will be joining soon.

GPDesign1
12-01-2009, 07:18 AM
*bump for the morning crew.

mowerbrad
12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Tommy is a member on here and does have quite alot of knowledge to pass around. I'm not a member of ALMA or anything, but just from reading some of Tommy's posts on here over the last few months, I get the impression that he is very knowledgable about this industry. If you decide to join, I don't think it will hurt you but I'm not sure how much good it will do for you guys either.

zturncutter
12-01-2009, 07:06 PM

I am a new member, if they get this organization rolling again, at one time they were 3000 strong, it could be a good move to be an affiliate, if they do not increase the membership it may not be of any help to you.
Both Tommy Ganz and Rick Beaver I believe are sincere and very knowledgeable and have been there and done that, so they do have insight into this business.
I like their video approach to topics on the website, it is different from other organizations I have belonged to. For me membership is more to remind me of things that I used to use in my business, or have gotten lazy about doing.
One example is the video on not walking over those $20.00 bills. Every account has other unsold work just waiting to be done, all you have to do is ask. I had gotten lazy about doing this and after watching the video I went out the next week and sold over $750.00 worth of new work to existing clients. Yes, this same info is available in posts on lawnsite, ALMA just puts it into a more condensed form.

BearWise Landscapers
12-02-2009, 06:21 PM
I visited their website, www.ALMAnow.com (http://www.almanow.com), and it looks like they provide a lot of good information to landscapers. I am going to grab lunch with their Vice-President next week to find out more about them and see if I can help provide useful insurance information to their already large source of general landscaping business related information. The VP's name is Rick Beaver. They seem like great guys and they have plenty of experience and knowledge of the industry.

I would be interested to hear more about them from those of you that are members.

If you aren't a member, check out their website.

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I've looked at them as well as readthe post on here. I signed up for a sample video as well. It was a good vid and good advice. But it was something I learned 10 years ago. My only concern would be paying for old news. They seem very smart and willing to help, I just hate to throw money out for zero gain. I'll watch this thread for more info.

We got more than 3000 landscapers in Orlando. Thats like 52.69 people per state so not a marketing game changer. It may make you look more credable though

BearWise Landscapers
12-29-2009, 02:02 PM
I've looked at them as well as readthe post on here. I signed up for a sample video as well. It was a good vid and good advice. But it was something I learned 10 years ago. My only concern would be paying for old news. They seem very smart and willing to help, I just hate to throw money out for zero gain. I'll watch this thread for more info.

We got more than 3000 landscapers in Orlando. Thats like 52.69 people per state so not a marketing game changer. It may make you look more credable though

CK Landscaping,

I agree that it would not be very helpful from a marketing perspective. But I think you may find they have a lot more detailed information that could be helpful to you. Both Tommy Ganz and Rick Beaver are sharp guys and they have tons of experience in the industry. I met with Rick a couple of times already and have been encouraged by what they are trying to do. Our insurance service recently partnered with the association to help provide insurance information to their members. There will be quite a few videos with general insurance policy information for new lawn maintenance companies and there will also be quite a few more videos that go in depth on the specifics of certain insurance questions and topics. They are coming out with a new website in the spring of 2010 and I think that will make it a lot easier for them to provide all of the detailed information to their members that have been in the industry for a longer time like yourself and that have experience. I would recommend that you wait until they get their new website up and running and then check it out again. Rick is even on these forums sometimes and if you contact him, I´m sure he could give you a quick demonstration of the members´side of the website so that you could see if it would be worth your money.