PDA

View Full Version : few burn spots in the lawn that need tobe masked.

ant
05-18-2002, 06:43 PM
i have a few burn spots in a lawn that need to be
masked ..what can i use?
ant

robert payer
05-18-2002, 07:43 PM
Ant,

In response to your post concerning burn spots, several options come to mind. First suggestion would be to cut piece of healthy sod from elsewhere on property and install for immediate proper quick fix and the customer will be happy! Besure to put down a peatmoss base to keep roots moist in the event people do not water. I have one of those old fashion manual sod cutters. Ideal and comes in handy often. Hold implement with both hands and kick. Works very well for small sod repairs and making beds in lawn areas.

Dig out burned sod and plant grass. Scotts patch master is great for very small seeding jobs. This is a blend of seed, feed and a barrier to keep seed from drying out. No straw needed. Fast easy and inexpensive.

You spoke of masking damage. Green turf paint from Lesco would mask the problem. Why not just repair damage?

Hope that this will be of help

tremor
05-18-2002, 07:54 PM
Grass Green Turf Marking Paint. Great for dog urine spots too. Better grasses often fill back into the damaged spot before the paint wears away.

Steve

dan deutekom
05-19-2002, 12:19 PM
Steve

The only problem with paint is that usually the grass has burnt to a bare patch before it can grow back in. I like to flush heavily with water and then patch with a piece of sod. I usually seed as well. The big question is why the burn? Dogs are the only thing out of your control.

rixtag
05-21-2002, 04:16 PM
You are talking about burn spots from dog urine and I am wondering what you do to repair the damage after the dog is gone?

I have a customer who had a big dog and killed some pretty good areas before they got rid of it and they were asking me.

Thanks
Rick

robert payer
05-21-2002, 09:08 PM
Urine solution:

If burns are related to dog urine, customer should mix Small amount of tomato soup in with the dog food. Neutralizes the urine. Works well.

KirbysLawn
05-21-2002, 09:31 PM
What caused the burn?

anthony
05-21-2002, 10:23 PM
WELL GUYS READY for this one.....
heat from the muffler of the mower.

the company that i fertilize for has mowers that the exhaust pipe before the muffler is right near the top of the turf canopy. when they go to dump the basket the mower sits at high speed the it singes the turf...
anthony

robert payer
05-21-2002, 11:34 PM
WHAT? Need more info on this. Exaust at the ground? What kind of machines? Factory mufflers? I know its not your fault but What is the boss waiting for on this one?

dan deutekom
05-22-2002, 05:29 PM
Its not the first time I have seen mowers with the exhaust pointed at the ground like that. Usually it is on the home owner type lawn tractors but I have seen it on some comercial equipment too. You have to wonder about some engineers.