PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Ton vs 3/4 Ton

TaketheMoneyandRun
11-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Looking into either buying a '94 Chevy 1500 or a '92 Chevy 2500. The 3/4 really wouldnt be neccesary for my operation. Also I feel there is something disruptive about a huge clunking truck pulling into a neighborhood to cut a lawn. However I am still considering it as an option. Any opinions?

mike lane lawn care
12-01-2009, 12:00 AM
well if someone ever asks you to do more than cut their lawn, say haul some gravel or mulch in, that little 1/2 ton is going to be underpowered. A 1/2 ton truck is also not equipped to pulling a loaded trailer everyday for a few years without breaking. I started with a 1/2 ton van and moved up to a 1/2 ton truck, and now have a 3/4 ton truck. the cost of running the 3/4 is actually less than it was for the 1/2 ton, as with the 1/2 ton I was replacing parts all the time, hubs, axles, the auto T case was always needing repair, brakes went on it wayyyy too quickly. I would never go less than a 3/4 ton ever again.

Hanau
12-01-2009, 12:12 AM
I started this business with a half ton. You'll be fine. I've built decks, moved gravel, river rock, built patios, retaining walls, all kinds of stuff with my 1982 F-150. Still my favorite truck out of all the rigs I own. Never let me down. Over 400K on it. The truck is a legend.

Half tons ride nicer. Get a good trailer brake controller, manage your loads, and you'll be fine. Yes, you may have to make 2 trips or pay a delivery charge on big projects.

Know the limits of the truck, know your limits as an operator of the truck, stay within them and you'll survive.

Heaviest load I've moved with my half ton was 18,000lbs. You don't want to do that everyday, but once in a great while is manageable.

unkownfl
12-01-2009, 05:07 PM
1500 all the way not a fan of the old chevy diesels.

MileHigh
12-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Half tons are pu$$y trucks. Just admit it.

Get the 3/4 ton and thank me in the future.

Disruptive?????Your nuts. Your about to mow someones grass with a disruptive as hell mower, and even worse trimmer.

BTW...the chevy half tons are the same body as the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks man...

My lord. Get it together.

cochino12
12-01-2009, 09:13 PM
If it's going to be your only truck why would you buy one that cant do EVERYTHING? If you are only going to have one of a certian peice of equipment "overybuy"!! No regrets

You will never regret having a truck that can do everything, but I guarantee you will regret buying a truck that cant.

Hanau
12-01-2009, 09:14 PM
If that were true we'd all be driving Class 8's.

topsites
12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
As far as a big clunking truck, they're both the same size...

Now if you think you can predict your truck's limitations then by all means get a 1/2 ton,
everyone else probably likes to drive 3/4's because like the guy said it's actually cheaper
when you got the beef to handle it.

STIHL GUY
12-02-2009, 10:58 PM
if you go with the 1/2 ton and down the road a time comes that you need more out of your truck your going to be kicking yourself

360ci
12-03-2009, 11:43 PM
1500 vs 2500.

If you want a V8 gas, you might as well go with the 2500. Right now, GM has a nice 6 speed combo that works great, and GMs are the smoothest riding trucks, in either 1/2 or 3/4 ton form. If you want diesel, get a Dodge. The I6 will outlast you. If you want a powerhouse, go for the Ford Diesel, although reliability isn't that great unless you can find a used 7.3L TD powered truck.

If I bought a 1500 for WORK. It would have the V6. Gm offers the largest V6 (4.3L), has a lower purchase price, oil change of 5 quarts (versus 6-8 quarts for V8 engines), and has nearly as much payload as Dodge in similar extended cab short box form. Ford half tons are V8 only, so I wouldn't consider one for that choice alone. If you want a 4x4, then choices are limited to V8 only, and again, you'd be better off going with a 2500 truck.

A 2500 is more capable, but it's also heavier, in weight, and weight decreases fuel economy. For a smaller trailer, a half ton will serve you just fine. Hell, I use a '00 Dodge Durango R/T to haul my toys and tools around. I did a round trip to Destin Fl this past spring with no problems, and it returned a respectable 16.2mpg overall for 2900 miles. Parts are relatively inexpensive and performance modifications are a plenty should one decide to upgrade parts that wear out (or fall off). Including fuel, and all maintenance it runs me a few pennies a mile more than my '99 Ford Taurus does! ...and that car can TOW as well!

If that were true we'd all be driving Class 8's.

Hey, my Freightliner Coronado does a fine job of hauling around my 4x8 utility trailer. It's just a shame that I have to chain everything down, or it'll fly out even going over highway expansion joints! I6 engines have the torque, afterall. 14L is a bit overkill, I agree. Once I upgrade to a six ZTR operation and a crew of six, plus a couple of backhoes, I'll be all set to tow'm.

corey4671
12-04-2009, 12:56 AM
I ran a 1/2 ton for a long time. made the switch to a 3/4 ton in the spring of 07. best move I ever made. don't regret it later, go with the 3/4 ton

johnslandscaping
12-06-2009, 01:38 AM
3/4 ton all the way. If you want to put a dump insert in down the road works great. Makes life eazy.

Lazer Cut
12-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Don listen to these guys about 3/4 ton all the way... I've always been told... buy what you need. If you can see in the future you won't be plowing or having huge loads everyday the 1/2 ton will be fine. I tow a trailer 1900 lbs empty mower hand tools and anythkng else... I've hauled just as heavy **** with my 150 as I did my 250... get what you will need. my 150 tows it better anyways... real heavy loads and I can tell its back there... other than that... not even back there... hauled my step dads with it and sure it was squattin but didn't phase the truck... pulls lika champ.

Just my 2 cents... y'all lay off the negative comments on my opinion y'all stated yours and I've stated mine no need for pissing matches... another thing... can you swing the fuel cost diff.. if its diesel... that's one hell a high price engine to fix... that goes for any diesel
Posted via Mobile Device

Lazer Cut
12-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Hauled my step dads bobcat with it... didn't show up in the post above
Posted via Mobile Device

mike lane lawn care
12-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Don listen to these guys about 3/4 ton all the way... I've always been told... buy what you need. If you can see in the future you won't be plowing or having huge loads everyday the 1/2 ton will be fine. I tow a trailer 1900 lbs empty mower hand tools and anythkng else... I've hauled just as heavy **** with my 150 as I did my 250... get what you will need. my 150 tows it better anyways... real heavy loads and I can tell its back there... other than that... not even back there... hauled my step dads with it and sure it was squattin but didn't phase the truck... pulls lika champ.

Just my 2 cents... y'all lay off the negative comments on my opinion y'all stated yours and I've stated mine no need for pissing matches... another thing... can you swing the fuel cost diff.. if its diesel... that's one hell a high price engine to fix... that goes for any diesel
Posted via Mobile Device

The only thing that really bugs me about your post, is the complete lack of spelling and grammar.:drinkup:

Lazer Cut
12-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Haha... sorry was just typin away on my phone lol... droid buttons are close together and hit things that I don't mean too
Posted via Mobile Device

cochino12
12-08-2009, 09:24 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Nothing wrong with planning ahead though right? Also, the main problem with using a 1/2 ton for hauling isnt managing the load its stopping it, too many people forget about the brakes and thats when safety becomes an issue.

Good luck with your purchase either way

Lazer Cut
12-08-2009, 10:35 AM
You know there are brakes on a trailer... I don have brakes on my trailer... stops fine. If you're haulin heavy **** get a brake controller and have brakes on it and you'll be fine
Posted via Mobile Device

cochino12
12-08-2009, 10:38 AM
You know there are brakes on a trailer... I don have brakes on my trailer... stops fine. If you're haulin heavy **** get a brake controller and have brakes on it and you'll be fine
Posted via Mobile Device

Your right who needs brakes on a truck, the trailer will stop you.

Lazer Cut
12-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Listen don't be the jackas* of this thread alright... brakes on the trailer will be fine. Ya brakes on the 1/2 will go faster but if that's all you can afford then let the guy be... if its diesel I already explained the big cost diff. What engine is in the trucks?
Posted via Mobile Device

mike lane lawn care
12-09-2009, 01:48 AM
brakes were so annoying on my 1500 Z71, I think in just one summer I replaced something like 6 rotors and a set of pads, and they weren't the cheap parts, they were OEM. my 2500HD just had the brakes done for the first time at about 60k. Granted I think I towed more often with the 1500, it seemed like I always had the Toyota on the trailer, or my friend's blazer or a race car, or the stupidest thing which was a 14,000 lb Kubota tractor. Since buying the 2500HD, the only thing besides my lawn equipment and ATV I have towed has been a couple Geo Trackers, and the Toyota when it died an hour from home, and I thank god that I had the 3/4 ton because the 1500 would not have made it up the steep hill with the car and trailer coming up over the mountain.

As for trailer brakes, I have a brand new car trailer with 2 braking axles and a prodigy brake controller, and when loaded I can still feel it pushing the truck coming down hill. I had to make an emergency stop a few months back, when a car stopped suddenly in front of me, and it took all of the truck's and trailer's brakes to stop it before disaster struck.