PDA

View Full Version : Skidsteers

James
04-10-2000, 05:26 PM
I'm at that point in my business that i would like to add a skidsteer. I have operated several kinds (Case 1840, Bobcat 873, etc.) Does anyone have some pros and cons to these models or any other skidsteer I should consider? Thanks, James

Matt
04-10-2000, 05:59 PM
I would definatly go with a New Holland. Ive never operated one, but those things have balls. Ive seen one push over oak trees 7-8 inchs around no problem. You definatly can't say that about a Bobcat, they have a hard enough time going into a pile of mulch.

Stonehenge
04-10-2000, 06:11 PM
Gehl is the only brand we will buy. They got great lifting capacities, are durable as hell, and I like the safety a Gehl offers. New Holland has bucket controls on the foot pedals. While I know there's a lockout mechanism to keep the bucket from moving when someone's not in it, there have been a few scenarios where it has moved, and could've hurt somebody. <p>I'll only buy a skidsteer that has no controls at the feet (except for maybe aux. hyd., and there's nowhere else to put them). Gehl has that, and has proven to be very durable. In my area, most landscape companies (and other construction-type companies for that matter) have either all Gehl or all New Holland (some Case, too). There are smaller outfits that'll have one Bobcat, or Mustang, or JCB, or Thomas..... But the bigger companies seem to stick with the aforementioned two. I'm not bigger, I just really like the Gehl.

paul
04-10-2000, 07:15 PM
Ok just my 2 cents worth,<p>I like the old style New Hollands.<br>The problem with the new ones is vision from the sides the lift arms get in the way when lifting and moving close in tight areas.<p>The new Case seem to be better in the vision area but haven't run one enough to be sure.<p>New Holland machines will lift more and load higher than most machines. (Bobcat ect)the new Case(xt series) and Bobcat 773 & 873 will do about as well as the New Holland, I like New Holland also because of it's longer wheel base.<p><p>----------<br>paul<br>

steveair
04-10-2000, 08:32 PM
We just rented a newer XT case (i want to say 85xt, but probably am wrong...) to sweep the sand off our roads. It was I nice machine. No foot pedals, which is a big plus in my book. <p>Only thing I didn't like was the auxillary hydraulic pedal. Has a pedal on the floor that you had to push and then lock to operate the sweepster. It worked good, but was kind of a pain, and didn't lock all the way down. If you pushed it, you would have full power, if you locked it it would only have like 80% power.<p>Also, the case had a gas pedal on the floor. Was nice. Didn't have to have the engine reving up all the time. I also had the throttle lever on the side, but the pedal was nice with the broom. I'm not sure if others have a seperate pedal for throttle, but others I have used didn't.<p>Also, the case was about average for visibility. Had a few blind spots. Nothing unusual though. <p>New Hollands are tanks! Can't go wrong with one of those.<p>steveair<p><p>

little green guy
04-10-2000, 09:12 PM
New Hollands are the best. Ive run new hollands and John deere both w/the superboom. I think the super boom is the only way to go. I run new holland alot. They are real durable and real powerful. I was working on a clearing job once and backed into a 8&quot; tree and didn't even know i hit it till it was almost the ground. I was also pushing down anbout 14&quot; trees with it. GO NEW HOLLAND

paul
04-10-2000, 10:19 PM
quick note all deisel motors should be run at full throttle,<p>----------<br>paul<br>

steveair
04-11-2000, 07:09 AM
What about the diesel motors, I never heard that. Explain please...<p>We have a old JD diesel tractor 750. You can't possibly run it full throttle because of the clutch. On hydros, you can, but not on the manuals. If this is the case, then why do you say this. Same for big machines too. We don't sit there and have our 580 at full throttle all the time either. I thought that was why they have a pedal on the floor. It's impossible, in fact to have the machine at full throttle all the time.<p>Maybe there's something I'm missing here. I really don't know, so any answer to your point appreciated. Is this just one of those 'in theory' points. <p>steveair<p>

Stonehenge
04-11-2000, 02:24 PM
Another word on skidsteers - The Gehl 6635 I have regularly lifts loads of 3200# (40 Versa-Lok units on a pallet) to move around close to the ground. I can take pallets off truck beds 4' high that weigh around 2800-3000# (I bet you'll figure out how I discovered that difference in lifting capacity :) ). So, it can handle a pretty good load.

paul
04-11-2000, 09:52 PM
Stone, that is one reason I like New Holland full load of versa-lok with our 783's 40 units not even grunting. Now some of that stone we get from Halquist they say runs 4000 lbs per pallet it has a hard time unloading,<p>Stevethat is why they make lower gears :)<p>No mostly for hydo's need full rpm to lift and keep hyd. pressure up.<br>I remember the D7's that I use to run they had a peddle for lowering the RPMrun them full out and use the peddle for close work<br><p>----------<br>paul<br>

Matt
04-12-2000, 05:19 PM
Seems like most of you guys like the New Hollands... very good to hear!! As far as the foot pedals... i like em like that but if i had to run something else i would learn to live with it. Back to Brands.... Dont buy a Bobcat! Oh and has anyone used one of the newer bubble looking Deeres?? How did it work???

FIREMAN
04-17-2000, 05:15 PM
JAMES SKIDSTEERS HAVE AN INVALUABLE PLACE IN THIS FIELD BUT IF YOU ARE ONLY GOING TO HAVE ONE MACHINE A MINI HOE MAY BE A BETTER CHOICE, I KNOW THEY CAN'T LIFT LIKE A SKIDSTEER BUT THEY ARE FAR MORE VERSITILE, I WAS LOOKING A SKIDSTEER 2 YEARS AGO AND FRIEND WHO IS A MASON INSISTED I TREY HIS KUBOTA B SERIES TRACTOR WITH A LOADER AND HOE ATTACHMENT. IT DOES NOT TEAR THE TURF(IF YOU ARE WORKING SOMEPLACE WHERE THIS MATTERS) IT HANDLES LOADS WELL AND YOU CAN DIG HOLES FOR BIG ROOTBALLS WITH OUT SHOVELING FOR HOURS. NOW I HAVE ONE TOO, IT HAS NOT FAILED ME YET...JUST SOME FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

firedog
04-18-2000, 05:50 PM
just my 2 cents. I had a bobcat 853, then I got smart and bought New Holland LX885 x2. They are the best, will never buy anything else but New Holland. Kinda wish I would have upgraded to the LX985 for more power, but about $4500more.

DMC300
04-18-2000, 09:46 PM
I AM LOKING INTO THE BOBCAT 853 TELL ME SPECIFICALLY WHY THIS MACHINE IS NOT THE ONE FOR ME.IT WILL BE USED FOR EVERYTHING TO FINISH GRADING TO SPADIND TREES TO LOADING PEAT,FILL,ETC...THANKS <p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

firedog
04-18-2000, 10:05 PM
don, I don't know about the lawn stuff but as for snowplowing I wasn't happy with it. could not load my salt trucks, not a lot of power, no speed. It might work for the lawn stuff, I don't want to give you wrong info. If you do buy it I'll send you my service manual for it. doesn't do me any good now.

firedog
04-21-2000, 07:41 PM
don, what did you decide on the 853 bobcat.

pete
04-21-2000, 08:47 PM
Hey have you guys seen that JCB with one boom. Seem intersting, think i might try to rent one next time and see if they'll cut it. Has anyone had any experience with them?

paul
04-21-2000, 11:53 PM
tried a JCB one boom problem with them is the loader boom can twist and the pins wear out fast<p>----------<br>paul<p>

EDL
04-22-2000, 11:51 AM
I demoed a Cat, the other day, i was pretty impressed with what it could do and how well it is built. Althought I am alway skeptical on machines that are new on the market

Foster
04-25-2000, 03:33 PM
Hi guys, liked the discussion so far. I run a 753 bobcat and love it. Have a great bobcat rep in our small and out-of-the-way town. Tried a gehl but didn't have the power I thought it should and I didn't want to re-learn the hanc controls. Have heard good things about new holland. Haven't drove one tho... gonna stick with bobcat!

paul
04-25-2000, 05:49 PM
the bobcats 753 is a little too small for my work it only lifts 1300 pounds, I need machines that can lift 1600 or greater. New Holland's can lift more than other machines. The bobcats 773 and 873 are in the same classed as a new Holland's. Most landscaping is lifting and carrying there's not a lot of excavation that we do with these machines.<p>----------<br>paul<br>