PDA

View Full Version : What are your plans for expanding in 2010???

N.TX
11-30-2009, 10:23 PM
I am looking for input on expanding for this next spring. I normally don't advertise at all in the winter but I think I am going to start sending a guy out a few days every week until spring to pass out fliers. I am wanting to pick up 100 plus accounts for next spring. Do you guys think it is a waste of time to start advertising this soon and what are yall doing to get ready for next year????

santafe
11-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Do you find that fliers are the best advertising for the money? or are you just giving your guys a job? I have been thinking about fliers because the paper just doesn't seem to do much good.

Yater
11-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Pick up 100+ new accounts...with fliers?? Share your secret if you figure it out. Leaf cleanups are good money and often lead to mowing accounts.

SNAPPER MAN
11-30-2009, 10:59 PM
I am looking for input on expanding for this next spring. I normally don't advertise at all in the winter but I think I am going to start sending a guy out a few days every week until spring to pass out fliers. I am wanting to pick up 100 plus accounts for next spring. Do you guys think it is a waste of time to start advertising this soon and what are yall doing to get ready for next year????

I think starting the advertising now is a good idea, but you have to do the same areas multiple times to get decent results. The more people see your name, the more apt they are to think of you when they need landscape or lawn work done. 100 might be pushing it but you will definitely get some more work. I am planning on doing 10k doorhangers a month year round next year because I do tree work and want to stay busy.

As far as expanding goes. This year I only had a 2 man crew working 4-5 days a week, but the way things are shaping up, I should have a 4 man crew working 60 hours a week next year. I am not buying any more major equipment, probably just some saws and handhelds. My mowers should be fine...

Good look with your expansion and keep us updated on how it works for you. I know we start doorhangers in January and I am not looking for much of a response then, but I'm hoping that my march and april when people start thinking about mulching and landscaping they will think of us because they see out doorhanger each month.

N.TX
11-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Well I have had good luck in the past with fliers in spring. I havent ever picked up 100 at once but I have picked up in the 30s with a few thousand ... I figure if I just need to put out several times the amount to get close to what im looking for.

stevenf
11-30-2009, 11:10 PM
I am going to mail out 10k postcards starting in Feb. Mabey two runs per area. I have tried the doorhangers and it just didnt work for me. I never had a good return. I may not have a good return on postcards either but it sure will get people aware of my business name.

JB1
11-30-2009, 11:15 PM
I am hoping to triple my business next year, this year I had 2 lawns, next year I hope to have 6 lawns.

lawnsaspire
12-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Flyers work great here. They work even better if you make an effort to personally speak with each householder. I plan to spend some time this winter designing a very fancy flyer, I'm going to hire my wife's friend who is a very good artist to help. My flyers have been kind of generic in the past, but they've still worked. I don't think any lawn companies around here really use flyers and that's why I've gotten so much work. I hope to get 10-15 more customers next year which would put me at 45-50 which would be enough for me to quit my part time job. The last three years I've gone from 7 customers to 25 last year, to 37 this year. I'm hopeful. Good luck to all of you. Knock on doors, it works.

SNAPPER MAN
12-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I am going to mail out 10k postcards starting in Feb. Mabey two runs per area. I have tried the doorhangers and it just didnt work for me. I never had a good return. I may not have a good return on postcards either but it sure will get people aware of my business name.

If door hangers didn't work then post cards probably won't. The reason I say this is because when most people get a advertisement in their mail they just skim over it and throw it away, but with a door hanger they are forced to take it off their door so they have to at least look at it. Thats just my philosophy. Also door hangers are WAY cheaper.

ADVANCEDOHIO
12-01-2009, 02:27 PM
I am hoping to triple my business next year, this year I had 2 lawns, next year I hope to have 6 lawns.

You might want to be in the homeowners forum.:laugh:

starry night
12-01-2009, 02:36 PM

Yeh, but he didn't tell you his two "lawns" were lush, private estates of 6-8 acres.:)

ADVANCEDOHIO
12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeh, but he didn't tell you his two "lawns" were lush, private estates of 6-8 acres.:)

Yea... I suppose.;)

81Bronk36
12-01-2009, 09:28 PM
I doubled + mine this year. I used doing good work, yard signs at about $10 each, magnets on my truck, and 10" tall banner across my tailgate on my trailer. I also got postcards from Vistaprint and now hand those out when I get called, but I dont put them in people's doors I actually think my advertising spending was less this year then last.

This year I am technically downsizing from a 48 and 36 to just the 36 so I dont have to switch mowers to do backyards all the time.

JB1
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM

that really hurt my feelings, we were all minnows once.

orlawncaresvc
12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Call it steal accounts if you would. But my plans for expanding is I'm going to try and get in contact with commercial properties and attempt to put in bids on them. I already have my eye on several of them. And I know we could do a lot better job for the same price or a better rate.

XLS
12-02-2009, 12:15 AM
we are adding 15 business locations by any means nessacery , mostly kissing arse and shaking hands but you never know . i am hoping we can add atleast 5 good accounts but 60-70 residentials per location is a reasonable goal as well .

topsites
12-02-2009, 03:55 AM
I just play it by ear, if the business wants to take off great, if not, oh well.

TwoBrosLawn
12-02-2009, 04:18 AM
i got into subdivisons last year...hoping to get 3-5 more this upcoming spring as well as 10 more res. accounts....
also gonna look into management companies somtimes a pain to bid but money can be nice because normally you have to big 5 or so businesses at one time.

where did you find yard signs for 10.00 ~81bronk36~

ADVANCEDOHIO
12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
that really hurt my feelings, we were all minnows once.

Sorry about that. Not meant to be hurtful, only funny. Im just a fat minnow at best.... myself, 2 full time employees, and 6 part-time.

mowerbrad
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm hoping only to add about 5 or just a little more for next season. I'll see how the new set up I'll have next season will do, then I'll see if I can manage a few more accounts. Until then, I'm just planning on 5 or so more.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I would like to know about these lawn signs at 10 bucks a piece too. I want to double if not triple my work this coming season.

Nick's Lawn Care
12-02-2009, 06:14 PM
I would like to know about these lawn signs at 10 bucks a piece too. I want to double if not triple my work this coming season.

A company around here sells them for $7 double sided, one color...

grassman177
12-02-2009, 06:29 PM
i really want to spend some money and stuff advertising this next early and mid spring. i am not sure, but i know i want to focus on certain neighborhoods in blanket fashion, and then some direct and localized. i was thinking of door hangers and some mailers both. we have started sponsoring some city events, this has done a little, but i think besides those materials about also doing a billboard for a month at the peek time,

What do you all think of a billboard ad for a month or so?

prizeprop
12-02-2009, 06:48 PM
price them really low, you'll get plenty.

P.Services
12-02-2009, 06:58 PM
No expansion for me!I'm happy as is. Some times you just need to grown into your clothes before you go shopping again. I figure it will save me at least 10 grand on fliers, ads, and doorknockers. That's a lot of work during the year I don't have to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

NC Greenscaper
12-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I'd like to pick up about 20 full service accounts. Besides my yellow page add. I belong to the chamber of commerce, and a real estate association. I hope that my networking oportunities with these organizations will pay off. They Haven't yet, but I think it adds to our image also.

TXNSLighting
12-03-2009, 12:04 AM
I just play it by ear, if the business wants to take off great, if not, oh well.

Terrible...

Working Man
12-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Any, more creative ideas?? There's gotta be more than just fliers and door hangers. I've tried the chamber, its helpful but you really have to work the networking. I like the idea of door to door, only done it once but it got me contracts quick. I can see how it would get expensive quick. I'm not a great salesman (but working on it.) We took on a municipality this year. Went from one truck with two guys 3 days a week to 2 trucks, 4 guys 5 days a week. I was nervous as hell when I first got the contract. It's been challenging this year but I figured out a lot of the problems with employees, taxes, and management, etc. In 2010 all I have to do is use what I've learned this year to reduce costs and I should raise my profits about $10k. It's amazing how quick you learn things when your in the middle of it. I want to do some giveaways for nonprofit auctions this year, try to get the contracts with the companies doing the auctions, get a customer or two from the giveaways in the future, good name recognition, and get to rub elbos with the other local companies at the auctions. The municipality that I have has 80 properties all in one town, I'm going to try to build my customer base around those properties. I'll still do fliers and maybe door to door again in targeted areas but mostly looking for a few key accounts to set my business up around and use those accounts to get more accounts. I don't know about a billboard. It sounds like it would be a little expensive and you would have people from all over calling you. For residentials we try to get 5-10 in each sub min so that we don't have to drive all over the place and we can keep our routes tight.

slamjamrockinman
12-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I'd like to pick up two or three more accounts at every current account I have. Then target a few neighborhoods throughout the whole season. It will be fliers, biz cards, and networking for me. Hopefully have about 30-35 accts by mid season. Should keep me plenty busy for a high schooler. I would also like to do about 5 smaller installs during the summer and maybe help my buddy with some tress. We'll see.

81Bronk36
12-03-2009, 08:31 PM
They are yellow corregated plastic, cut in half so they are about 12"x15" with my logo and # in Black double sided, and they ran about 10-11 bucks a piece from a local guy around here. The full color metal sign was either 60 or 75, cant remember which was my magnets and which was my sign