PDA

View Full Version : why not cub cadet?

santafe
11-30-2009, 09:35 PM
I run two cub rzts, but since I am going to depend more and more on my lawn service for my family living i am going with two exmark 60". I have decided this from the advice and other talk on this site. BUT why is there so little talk about cub cadet.

Gunnels Grounds & More
12-01-2009, 12:13 AM
good ? but I have A 48in cub cadet Enforcer with the 21 kaw that I absolutely love.

Sammy
12-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Because Cub Cadet is not what it use to be when IHC owned it.
CC now days is made for the homeowner and entry level lco rookie.

greenred
12-01-2009, 01:23 AM
The Cub Cadet Tank ZTR's I have seen in person look to be built at the same level as the Bad Boys I have seen in person. Unfortunately Cub Cadet's name has been tainted by the management or mismanagement and ownership by MTD.

If Cub was still owned by International Harvester, and International Harvester was still a independent company, I bet they would be turning out some awesome Zero Turn Mowers.

Tim White
12-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Because alot of those who bash cub cadet have never tried one or are hung up on the mtd thing. I have had 2 tanks now and couldnt be happier.

Tharrell
12-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Cub and Lesco mowers were virtually identical. Lesco got a bad rap from a lot of people on here and I have to admit I thought poorly of them too based on what I read and the fact that I was using Bob-Cats at the time.
I'll tell you now, those mowers have quality parts on them and they are built tough.
I have a Lesco Z2 60" with a 25 Kawasaki and a Lesco 52" walkbehind with a 19hp Kawasaki and they're every bit as tough as a Bob-Cat, actually they're tougher.
I'm using Scag, Bob-Cat and Lesco right now.
I think very few who respond on here have actually put enough time on different machines to accurately post comparison opinions. Heck, some don't even know how to operate a keyboard. Tony

ALC-GregH
12-01-2009, 08:59 AM
I tried a Cub Cadet Enforcer. It turned out to be a piece of crap and fell apart in 10hrs. It ate 2 belts in that time as well. The deck wouldn't cut any higher then 2.75in. I told the dealer that I'm dropping it off and they can keep it. He told me to stop in and pick out a Scag that will fit my needs so I did. I swore I'd never buy a CC again.

Gunnels Grounds & More
12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
I have over 200 hrs on my Enforcer. Problems that have developed were not related to MDT but other manufactures such as the seat and fuel pump.

N.TX
12-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Junk!!!!!!!!!!!

orlawncaresvc
12-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I think cub cadet is junk. I know they make some commercial mowers but they just don't come anywhere near the exmarks, toros, scags, or any other major commercial brand.

XLS
12-01-2009, 11:21 PM
guys we have several Cub cadets , oh yeah ZTR's the home owner 50" and we run them 1000's of hours and no biggies at all . the newest one has i belive has 1500+ hours and all is factory no parts as of yet . we plan on more low dollar units in the future .

Nosmo
12-02-2009, 03:30 AM
I think cub cadet is junk. I know they make some commercial mowers but they just don't come anywhere near the exmarks, toros, scags, or any other major commercial brand.

Here we go again - another mine is better pissing match. All I have to say is my tank is used for personal use and it was bought new in 2006. If anyone is not satisfied with a CC so be it. As for me I've never had any problems with mine as of now.

Nosmo

jkilov
12-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Unfortunately Cub Cadet's name has been tainted by the management or mismanagement and ownership by MTD.
That's it alright. MTD cranks out junk not even fit for casual homeowners. Several dealers around here refuse to work on brands pwned by MTD.

djflats
12-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Some say the CC is junk. I had a M48 TANK for 5 years and never had a problem with it. The only reason I finally went to an Exmark is because the Exmark does good on hills. The TANK was terrible on hills, it went where it wanted.
I have a couple of friends that have run CC's for the last 3 years. No real problems and they like them. They must not cut on many hills though.
I wouldn't get the "cheaper" commercial CC like the Recon or Enforcer. They are a lighter mower and wouldn't hold up like a TANK(IMO).

scagrider22
12-02-2009, 08:21 PM
JUNK!!! And if you didnt think it was junk yourself, you would not of paid the extra $4k to buy the Exmark.

djflats
12-02-2009, 08:27 PM
JUNK!!! And if you didnt think it was junk yourself, you would not of paid the extra $4k to buy the Exmark.

Hey, thanks for telling me what I think. If you did it sooner I wouldn't have had to type anything. I said it was my opinion. If you don't like it don't read it.

scagrider22
12-02-2009, 08:47 PM
I wasn't talking to you I was talking to santafe, the guy who started the thread, who also paid $4k extra on a Exmark after owning a Cub. If those Cubs are so great then go back to them and save your money.

djflats
12-02-2009, 09:03 PM
I wasn't talking to you I was talking to santafe, the guy who started the thread, who also paid $4k extra on a Exmark after owning a Cub. If those Cubs are so great then go back to them and save your money.

The reason why I got an Exmark is because we got a new one at work and I like it. It holds to hills better so I got one. All I said is I had a TANK and had no problems with it...that's it. Did I say they are great? Let me go back and read. Nope, sure didn't. If you don't like my opinion I really don't give a damn. The way you present your opinions I doubt if there will be very many on here that take them too serious anyway.
I don't know where you shop but the Exmark sure wasn't $4k more either.

scagrider22
12-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I never asked for your opinion,so thats funny you say you dont give a damn if I dont like yours. And I dought anyone will take this thread serious because its about C.C. And also I dont know how much a Cub costs nor do I care I would never buy one. But anyway congrats on your new Exmark purchase.

djflats
12-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I never asked for your opinion,so thats funny you say you dont give a damn if I dont like yours. And I dought anyone will take this thread serious because its about C.C. And also I dont know how much a Cub costs nor do I care I would never buy one. But anyway congrats on your new Exmark purchase.
No, you didn't ask for my opinion. I gave my opinion on something and you read it and replied, giving your opinion on the CC. Believe me, I could care less if you like CC's or not, I'm not in love with them either. I simply stated that I have had no problems with the ones I've had.
I use to own a Chevy too and it was fine so I opted to try something else. Now I drive a Dodge. Make sense? Btw, I do like the Exmark. It's great on inclines. As for as flat ground, not a great difference. Good enough? Take care.:usflag:

scagrider22
12-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Why are you such an angry person, is it because you drive a Dodge? LOL good night precious!

djflats
12-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Why are you such an angry person, is it because you drive a Dodge? LOL good night precious!

I'm not angry, I get a kick out of people like you. Now come out of the closet, it's ok now.

cturf
12-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Cub Cadet makes a poor built home owner z-turn and a top quality pro mower. If you bought a home owner and are tring to use it commercially look what youpaid and what you got not a bad deal. If you operate a commercial then most will love it. There are a lot of good machines out there but be aware of what you buy If its cheap its probably"cheap"

scagrider22
12-02-2009, 09:58 PM
"I'm not angry, I get a kick out of people like you. Now come out of the closet, it's ok now." Me too this is fun! Speeking of gay you probally have one of tose stickers on your back window that say, "Id rather be cummin than stroken"

santafe
12-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Cub Cadet makes a poor built home owner z-turn and a top quality pro mower. If you bought a home owner and are tring to use it commercially look what youpaid and what you got not a bad deal. If you operate a commercial then most will love it. There are a lot of good machines out there but be aware of what you buy If its cheap its probably"cheap"

I am using it commercially. for what i paid for them, they do very well. but like i said i am depending more on my business, so it is time to get serious.

Triplex
12-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I've run across a few posts here by newbie LCO's who mistook Cub Cadet's high-end homeowner stuff for professional-grade (in some cases misled by clueless big-box store salespeople) and felt like they got gypped.

MJB
12-02-2009, 10:56 PM
I am using it commercially. for what i paid for them, they do very well. but like i said i am depending more on my business, so it is time to get serious.

I would not be afraid to run the new Tank with the Select Cut 60" deck.
I run Exmark and think that the Tank compares to the Lazer Z AS 60".
They cut every bit as well as the Exmark I was impressed with the Select Cut cuts very clean, like the apron on the front that adjustable really creates more lift than the Ultracut deck when mulching.

scagrider22
12-02-2009, 11:09 PM
MJB how do you like the cut on your hustler compared to your newer exmark? I hear alot of critasism on the hustler as far as cut quality but mine cuts as good if not better than my exmark when I mow at the same speed as my exmark, but if I mow at 15mph then yeah the cut is not as good. My exmark is a 2008 60" Z and my Hustler is a 2009 super z 60". let me know how yours is.

Nosmo
12-03-2009, 05:39 AM
I know a guy who said who cares how they cut or ride. I bought mine because I like the color Black and Yellow on a mower.

Nosmo

jbell36
12-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Simply because of the name "cub cadet." That's about as gay as it gets

MJB
12-03-2009, 12:00 PM
MJB how do you like the cut on your hustler compared to your newer exmark? I hear alot of critasism on the hustler as far as cut quality but mine cuts as good if not better than my exmark when I mow at the same speed as my exmark, but if I mow at 15mph then yeah the cut is not as good. My exmark is a 2008 60" Z and my Hustler is a 2009 super z 60". let me know how yours is.

Mine is a 2006 66" XR7 deck. With all the add ons to the deck, I've got it where I can live with it. I have mulching kits on mine. I gave up trying to side discharge with it , just left strips of uncut grass. So I put on a mulching kit and use it on all size lawns, double cutting most of them to clean up the cut. The deck sux in my opinion otherwise. Both Exmarks have Ultracut decks and cut better at any speed than the Hustler. But the hustler is smooth and can double cut faster so it leaves a nice stripe and cut on the 2nd pass. But you have to scrape the xr7 deck every day, not the Ultracuts.

2000 Exmark and a 2008 Exmark. Which deck is on your Exmark?

XLS
12-03-2009, 06:33 PM
as previously stated we have the BOX STORE type cub cadets 50" units and find nothing wrong with them as a unit $3000 for a unit that has a seat, cuts wider and holds up just fine over all . when you compaire them to a walkbehind that is in its price range there is absolutly nothing wrong with the machines

1500 hours on them and besides the tires are slick they are ready for next season .

djflats
12-03-2009, 06:45 PM
as previously stated we have the BOX STORE type cub cadets 50" units and find nothing wrong with them as a unit $3000 for a unit that has a seat, cuts wider and holds up just fine over all . when you compaire them to a walkbehind that is in its price range there is absolutly nothing wrong with the machines

1500 hours on them and besides the tires are slick they are ready for next season .

I'm glad you have good luck with them. I never had a problem with my TANK. You'll never convince them on here though...lol.

XLS
12-03-2009, 06:50 PM
yeah i know , every time i say something on here some one calls bs or what not and it is quit stupid on their part to judge someone or something on facts they are uncertain of . its what makes us come back, you know

dcondon
12-03-2009, 06:59 PM
I own and run 72 and 60" Tanks for about five years now and have never had any problems............. The homeowner units are made for one reason........To mow your own lawn. The TANKS will hold up to com use just as good as exmark, scag or any others.

XLS
12-03-2009, 07:14 PM
i love the homeowner setups , what is it that makes these home owner units any less effective then a same priced walkbehind ? i must be told why not to run the ones i have before next year starts or i could be in trouble

rwar
12-03-2009, 10:01 PM
xls,im glad to hear you are getting that kind of hours on yours,mine has only got about 250 hours and the drivetrain is still doing good,however the cut quality has diminished,due to a bent spindle i suspect,the big weakness in these mowers is the thin deck and blades,but if you are getting 1500 hours you could wear out two of them and still spend less than a commercial z,hope mine does as well as yours

XLS
12-03-2009, 10:46 PM
that was our outlook on it all just dont hit things and keep it serviced they are good , keep the blades sharp or it will streak other then that no complaints

milo
12-04-2009, 09:13 PM
i owned some commercial cub mowers and there walk behinds are ok (belt drive) but the tanks are not up with exmark, scag hustler and dixie. would i ever buy one new NO. if i got a hell of a deal on a used one that looked good i would maybe buy it....

BLC24
01-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Dude I have a 50 inch rzt, That I am about to sell. I bought my first year in the business. I had alot of problems. The muffler fell off, the cables that held the deck up kept snapping. I broke one spindle. Another spindle broke off the deck, and I had to get it wielded back on. It only has like 263 hours. Changing the blades and greasing the spindles is a *****. You have to take the whole deck off, because those flimsy cables will break. I only used it for two years part time. When the spindle broke off the deck, I went out and bought a used exmark walk behind. I haven't looked back since. This year I found a killer deal on an almost new scag tiger cub. Both the exmark and the scag are built like tanks, and The are easy to grease and maintain. Also the scag is a lot faster than the cub cadet.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
01-08-2010, 12:37 PM
There is a reason why over %90 of the LCO in my area don't run them . All I see is a few fly by nighters buy a home depo one !!! With a troybuilt trimmer !! Then call them self professianals Lawn Care !!

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
01-08-2010, 12:38 PM
The tank might be a good mower.But I have not tried one !!!!

XLS
01-08-2010, 04:28 PM
next time a 50ztr deck lift cabe breaks consider buying 2 sections of chins ,just like a commercial deck hanging chain and simply replace them so it is held by 3/8'' chain it is a $2.00 piece of chain and it will never break again . my dealer changed it over because the standard cable broke and it was a $75 replacment either way .

Darryl G
02-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Dude I have a 50 inch rzt, That I am about to sell. I bought my first year in the business. I had alot of problems. The muffler fell off, the cables that held the deck up kept snapping. I broke one spindle. Another spindle broke off the deck, and I had to get it wielded back on. It only has like 263 hours. Changing the blades and greasing the spindles is a *****. You have to take the whole deck off, because those flimsy cables will break. I only used it for two years part time. When the spindle broke off the deck, I went out and bought a used exmark walk behind. I haven't looked back since. This year I found a killer deal on an almost new scag tiger cub. Both the exmark and the scag are built like tanks, and The are easy to grease and maintain. Also the scag is a lot faster than the cub cadet.

What did you do, take it to the demolition derby? Sounds like abuse to me.