PDA

View Full Version : trailer brake Q.

patpls
11-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Hey Guys, I'm running a 14,000lb dump trailer, I swapped the shoes from all brakes last year but stopping power isn't as great as hoped. Do hubs wear out? The trailer is 9 years old, the wiring is good, the magnets are new, the only thing left to change out are the hubs. Any help appreciated.

Horsepower Lawns
11-30-2009, 10:40 PM
Did you turn the drums (shoe AND magnet surface)?
Did you adjust the brakes in the last year?
Did you over grease the bearings? Did you pump grease in the axle or pull, clean & repack the bearings?
What brake control are you using, is it a factory Ford control (if so what month & year is your truck)?

patpls
11-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Hey HPL, new magnets, not over greased, adjusted up fine, is it required to turn the drums, ( not rotors) I am hoping its that simple of a fix!!

igotdiesel2
11-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Hey HPL, new magnets, not over greased, adjusted up fine, is it required to turn the drums, ( not rotors) I am hoping its that simple of a fix!!

I don't know if you can find someone that will turn both sides of drums. I tried a few years ago and it was cheaper to get new ones. You can use a multimeter at the truck plug and check your voltage on the brakes when you hit the brakes, to make sure your trailer brake is working correctly. The higher the voltage the more brake power is applied. Also have someone sit in the truck and activate the brake control and then go around the trailer and listen for humming at all 4 wheels to make sure you have power to all brakes. It might just be that a few wires have come loose if you replaced the magnets. I hope this helps. -Jason

South Florida Lawns
12-01-2009, 12:42 AM
I bet the drums are worn out after all those years.

Horsepower Lawns
12-01-2009, 08:25 PM
You need to turn the drums. When you put in new magnets they are smooth, but the magnet surface is not. So you don't get "good grip" with the new magnets.

We charge $30 to turn both or you can get new ones for about $60.