PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimmer for under $250

Steven B
12-01-2009, 01:35 AM
I'm looking to get a quality hedge trimmer for under $250.
A person is selling a Kawasaki 600D for about $260 shipped on ebay, is that a fair price?
The Stihl HS45 might be out of my price range, 18" $290
Haven't looked much into Husky, Shindaiwa & other brands yet. Any recommendations?
I'm going to call up some local dealers tomorrow to see what they can do.

Alan0354
12-01-2009, 02:24 AM
I'm looking to get a quality hedge trimmer for under $250.
A person is selling a Kawasaki 600D for about $260 shipped on ebay, is that a fair price?
The Stihl HS45 might be out of my price range, 18" $290
Haven't looked much into Husky, Shindaiwa & other brands yet. Any recommendations?
I'm going to call up some local dealers tomorrow to see what they can do.

Kawi is a good brand. I think for the price, you can't get any better. It is a true commercial unit. You sure is the D model? That is the highest of the Kawi hedge trimmer with very robust gear box.

The only other that is $279 is the Echo 20" HC151. It is too short, I have that, it is a good trimmer but it is just too short. It is not comfortable to use.

If it is $260 go with the Kawi.

Steven B
12-01-2009, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Their's couple of new 600S for about $230 shipped. Allot more people seem to like the 600D for it's gearbox, but is it worth the extra $30?
Seems like allot of people are clearing out their inventory of kawa 600.

Alan0354
12-01-2009, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Their's couple of new 600S for about $230 shipped. Allot more people seem to like the 600D for it's gearbox, but is it worth the extra $30?
Seems like allot of people are clearing out their inventory of kawa 600.

That is a very very good price, I would get it right now. It was more like $300 just 3 months ago on ebay.

I have the IPL of the unit, it has two ball bearing one on each side of each gear. A lot of the so call top commercial brand is not like that. The others one have that good a design is Shindaiwa and Maruyama and both are a lot more. If you have any doubt, do a search on this forum and you'll see.

I don't even think my HC151 have any ball bearing in the gear box!!! It is cheap looking but it also have very good reviews....including me. It is just too short!!! That's it, others are more like $400 and up. Maruyama is a little cheaper, but still $359 for the 24" from TurfEagle online. I don't think you can judge the quality by the price.

Steven B
12-01-2009, 02:46 AM
I got the 600D $257, allot more people liked the overall quality of it over the S.
I'm not sure what's the site policy is about posting ebay links, so I won't.

Alan0354
12-01-2009, 03:06 AM
I got the 600D $257, allot more people liked the overall quality of it over the S.
I'm not sure what's the site policy is about posting ebay links, so I won't.

People want it, they can go fish!!! You make me want to get one too!!! And I already have the Echo and a short reach articulate hedge trimmer.:laugh::laugh:

N.TX
12-01-2009, 09:01 PM
I bought a residential grade sthil hedge trimmer 3 years ago and its still going strong. I dont even like sthil trimmers or blowers but I love that hedge trimmer......It was right at 300 new I think.

topsites
12-01-2009, 09:12 PM
I bought a residential grade sthil hedge trimmer 3 years ago and its still going strong. I dont even like sthil trimmers or blowers but I love that hedge trimmer......It was right at 300 new I think.

Same one, I think...
Don't forget to grease up that gearbox every once in a bit.

jkilov
12-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Shindaiwa 22 DH

Best bang for buck residential hedge trimmer. Check for availability at your local dealer, I think they replaced it with an echo unit :(.

Alan0354
12-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Shindaiwa 22 DH

Best bang for buck residential hedge trimmer. Check for availability at your local dealer, I think they replaced it with an echo unit :(.

It sure look like the Echo HC151. It is toooooo short.

Richard Martin
12-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I've been using the Stihl HS45 for 5 or 6 years now. It's a nice lightweight trimmer that gets the job done for me. Just watch out for that muffler screen. It fooled me yesterday into a trip to the dealer. I absolutely, positively should have known that thing was in there. I had a 62 bush job to do yesterday and it had to be done yesterday. I'm trimming along and then the trimmer starting bogging down really bad. I couldn't figure it out. I even took it home and took the carb apart. Clean as a whistle. Head up to the Stihl dealer and Derek hooked me up in 5 minutes. He was smiling the whole time.

Alan0354
12-02-2009, 08:02 PM
I've been using the Stihl HS45 for 5 or 6 years now. It's a nice lightweight trimmer that gets the job done for me. Just watch out for that muffler screen. It fooled me yesterday into a trip to the dealer. I absolutely, positively should have known that thing was in there. I had a 62 bush job to do yesterday and it had to be done yesterday. I'm trimming along and then the trimmer starting bogging down really bad. I couldn't figure it out. I even took it home and took the carb apart. Clean as a whistle. Head up to the Stihl dealer and Derek hooked me up in 5 minutes. He was smiling the whole time.

Happen to the best of us!!!:waving:

STIHL GUY
12-02-2009, 09:32 PM
you cant go wrong with the kawi. i have the KHT600S and it works great for me

jkilov
12-03-2009, 05:16 PM
It sure look like the Echo HC151. It is toooooo short.

Nah, the 22 DH was a shindaiwa built unit, lots of positive reviews on these and a bargain at $275. As far as being too short, for most jobs it's fine, short is nimble. I have a 40"+ maruyama single sided unit, mostly in the shed collecting dust, because I also have a 24" residential husqvarna which gets 90% of use.

Speaking of which is a fairly nice piece. Has a maruyama entry-level engine, AV springs for both handles and a semi-pro gearcase. My only complaint is the bulky design. If the brand name and plastic look don't scare you away you get a decent trimmer for $290.

Alan0354
12-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Nah, the 22 DH was a shindaiwa built unit, lots of positive reviews on these and a bargain at $275. As far as being too short, for most jobs it's fine, short is nimble. I have a 40"+ maruyama single sided unit, mostly in the shed collecting dust, because I also have a 24" residential husqvarna which gets 90% of use.

Speaking of which is a fairly nice piece. Has a maruyama entry-level engine, AV springs for both handles and a semi-pro gearcase. My only complaint is the bulky design. If the brand name and plastic look don't scare you away you get a decent trimmer for $290.

22 DH is not on the catalog anymore, I am refering to the new DH212. It is a 20" trimmer look exactly like the HC151. They are taking the Echo products into their lineup. The EB633 is the Echo PB755 and did away with the famous EB630.

DT Lawn Care
12-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I bought the Kaw 600D used, the guy had used it one time, sold it to me for $90. Love the thing, normally starts first pull cold.

unkownfl
12-03-2009, 08:22 PM
They have a one sided Kawasaki at my john deere landscapes dealer, and they only want 120 for it. I think it is over half off, and they have two. He actually told me to make a offer and I said I can't use a one sided one.

pinto n mwr
12-03-2009, 09:43 PM
picked up a NEW Echo HC-150 off of ebay for 150 bucks, free ship. Runs great. Not the best ot there for pruning but for the price can't beat it!

Alan0354
12-03-2009, 09:57 PM
They have a one sided Kawasaki at my john deere landscapes dealer, and they only want 120 for it. I think it is over half off, and they have two. He actually told me to make a offer and I said I can't use a one sided one.

All depend on your budget. If you have a lot of business and time is money, go for the more expensive. If your business is hurting like most of the people, a penny save is a penny earn!!! It's all about what you need and the economy. I can make do with a single sided one. We are all just cry babies here.....have to have the best!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am joking and I am not joking!!! Who doesn't want the best, who doesn't want the $500 blower that can twist your body. But people just have to make do with what they can affort!!!!

aird208
12-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Link to HS45 for sale here on Lawnsite
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=298001

brucec32
12-03-2009, 11:57 PM
If you're in the lawn care business, why make a decision on an important tool you need over a price difference of just $50, as that is inconsequential relative to your business's sales and the life of the trimmer. I can understand a budget of $5,000 or $8,000 on a machine, but $50? That works out to what, a penny every time you pull it out over its lifetime?

If you're not in the business, I suggest you read the very first post in the very first thread on the website entitled "homeowners please read" or something to that effect.

brucec32
12-04-2009, 12:07 AM
If you're choosing tools over $50 price differences, you might be what they call "undercapitalized".

Richard Martin
12-04-2009, 03:18 AM

Is it possible to put a 2 sided bar on it?

andyslawncare
12-05-2009, 10:21 PM
shop craigslist in your area, surely you can find someone in ca that will have one for sale. I'd buy an echo HC150 or HC180, the 150 retails for $300is and the 180 retails for $400-450ish I've sold used units of the hc150 for $150 before that ran great.