PDA

View Full Version : Plastic (Snap Edge) or Aluminum Edge Restraint?

JimLewis
12-01-2009, 02:56 AM
Anyone had some experience installing aluminum edge restraint along the sides of a hardscape (e.g. pavers) pathway or patio? Do you like the aluminum better or the plastic (snap-edge kind) better? And why?

Seems like the alum. might be good. I've also been told it's less expensive. And while that's tempting, I don't take short cuts. So if it's not as good as snap edge then I don't care how much less it costs.

Just looking for some feedback here. I always see it at the trade shows and expos. Never wanted to make my customer the guinea pig on trying it, though.

Woodland
12-01-2009, 05:17 AM
I used the aluminum edging some last year. It is very convenient around curves since you don't have to cut it. Otherwise, it really didn't seem as "tough". It seems like it would pull away from the brick edge a lot more than the plastic does and I don't believe that the edge is as tall as the plastic counterpart. As far as cost is concerned, I think we paid slightly less for the aluminum, although that wasn't really a factor in our purchasing decision. This season, we switched to using SnapEdge exclusively, however, I wouldn't be opposed to using the aluminum if the need arose (availability or customer request).

Stillwater
12-01-2009, 07:50 AM
they claim it is stronger than snap I don't agree (curve rite) The last time I used it I accidentally bent some in the truck and it was difficult to make it right I never bought it again. It also tends to have a smaller profile at grade but some guys say that is better for growing turf to paver edge I don't buy that line because I never had issues with quality turf using others I am not saying I will never use it again it is just never will be my first choice.

DVS Hardscaper
12-01-2009, 08:03 AM
we have been using snap edge for 13.5 years.

it works fine.

makes sweet curves.

i'm not interested in considering anything else.

billwlod
12-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Aluminum Edge Restraint is the best. I find the Okanagan heat warps the plastic pave edge leaving wide spaces for dirt to collect thus looking like **** after the first heat wave. On low budget jobs I use 3/4 polly pipe and stake it in with 8" twisted spikes that are galvanized. I did this at my house and this is 2 years later and the pavers are still as tight as can be.

Stillwater
12-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Your edge restraint is above grade?

billwlod
12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Think about vinal siding it will expand 1-2 inches in length in the summer the same with plastic edging forcing it to buckle leaving gaps for crap to collect in. and dont leave it in the sun to long

PatriotLandscape
12-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I am not a fan of plastic. we use curve-rite never had any issues and it is very easy to cut and link together saving a spike at the joint. I like how the aluminum holds the curve. We have never had it pull away from pavements.

DVS Hardscaper
12-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Think about vinal siding it will expand 1-2 inches in length in the summer the same with plastic edging forcing it to buckle leaving gaps for crap to collect in. and dont leave it in the sun to long

Snap Edge isn't vinyl.

It's *NYLON"

And no, it does NOT expand, contract, harden, soften, or give you dirty looks.

Although, I agree, we have used other plastic restraint, and yes....the sun has made it do some weird stuff.

Which is why Snap Edge is our preference.