PDA

View Full Version : putting up and taking down.

TPnTX
12-01-2009, 08:25 AM
I wanted to ask and compare methods people use. Most of this may seem obvious.

On a new install do you put the lights in the sockets first?

When taking lights down do you leave the bulbs in and then store and put the stringers back up with the bulbs in?

I lost a lot of bulbs this year. It still seems worth it to eat the cost of replacing them.

Toy2
12-01-2009, 05:08 PM
I wanted to ask and compare methods people use. Most of this may seem obvious.

On a new install do you put the lights in the sockets first?

When taking lights down do you leave the bulbs in and then store and put the stringers back up with the bulbs in?

I lost a lot of bulbs this year. It still seems worth it to eat the cost of replacing them.You mean like the c-9 bulbs? I just leave them on and plug them in right off the bat, fix them as I come up on one, as for the take down, I just start pulling the cords and might end up with a couple of broken, but that's it....

David Gretzmier
12-02-2009, 12:37 AM
install bulbs and clips on the ground plugged in. takedown I leave all bulbs and clips on the strand. 2 guys with 2 poles with hooks- one takes one end of a strand and one takes another, and they pull it out and down carefully, so as not to create the domino effect. we also do one guy on roof and one guy with pole on takedown. all in one clips on gutters must be taken down by hand.

hotrod1965
12-02-2009, 11:36 AM
You need to be careful installing lights that are plugged in. Here it is an MI-OSHA violation, unless you are on a fiberglass ladder.

It doesn't take much to fray a wire and electrify the gutter and "zap".

TPnTX
12-02-2009, 01:37 PM
well at least you find it :)

wurkn with amish
12-02-2009, 06:10 PM
How do you guys do dormer tops? Those of you that outline tops.
Do you run up the gable then cut at the top and put in a triple tap then run off that? Or is there an easier way?
Or on any T-shaped connections?
Triple taps are big and bulky so I dont like doing them.

hotrod1965
12-03-2009, 09:07 AM
inline plug.

How do you guys do dormer tops? Those of you that outline tops.
Do you run up the gable then cut at the top and put in a triple tap then run off that? Or is there an easier way?
Or on any T-shaped connections?
Triple taps are big and bulky so I dont like doing them.

Jason Rose
12-03-2009, 09:37 AM
The inline plug is a good idea! I never thought of that for C-9/C-7 lights. lol. Of course, to expand on that idea. What he means is a Vampire plug that you cut or snap the notch out of so that it can be clipped onto the wire anywhere, not making the wire terminate. ( I can post an example if need be)

Of course you will have to watch your loads. The inline plug, or a 3 way only works on smaller houses or if you can do the ridge from both ends. Otherwise another run of SPT1 or 2 18 or 16 ga. is needed.

I think most do the install as david said. Once you get the bulbs and clips installed the first year, the next years is a lot easier. Assuming you store them right. It's very easy to end up with a huge knot if you don't do the storage carefully. I've always installed and taken down with the bulbs in, just once in a while will break one. NEVER mess with the C-7's or C-9's when lit. You take a much higher chance of knocking the hot fillament loose (burning out the bulbs).

wurkn with amish
12-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Jason could you show an example of what your talking about?
Hotrod, could you do the same or a link?

hotrod1965
12-03-2009, 09:06 PM
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/p/Cord-End-Outlet-Polarized-Black-SPT2-For-Indoor-Use-Only--19650.htm

just use an inline plug that snaps on the wire.

David Gretzmier
12-04-2009, 12:09 AM
I love the term vampire plug. that is exactly what it looks like. a male slider plug with a notch out of the end of the slider so the wire continues. using these on huge commercial jobs with very long runs, you actually can put 280 foot of c-9 cord in one run by putting a vampire plug in the middle. 7 amps one 140 foot direction, 7 amps another. use a heavy duty cord if you go over 25 foot to your power source, however. and that is pretty close to your max load on a powersource as well.