PDA

View Full Version : WAM opinion

Toxic
12-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I am looking for your guys opinion on wide area mowers in partically a mower for behind a 40-50hp tractor. I've been looking at lastec mowers quite a bit lately and seem to think they might be the answer(model 621er, link below). Would like pros and cons on these mowers as well as pull behind gang mowers.

http://www.lastec.com/lastec/rearMount/621ER.aspx

N.TX
12-01-2009, 08:52 PM
How much acreage are you mowing???? We can knock out some major acreage with a 60 and 52 in wide open areas. I think the most efficient and cost effective would probably be 2-3 72inch diesel ztrs per crew . If the wide area breaks ... I have heard its expensive to work on and it may be down for a while before you get it fixed. If one ztr breaks u can still have the other going and go rent a ztr if needed while the other is being repaired.

meets1
12-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I run two wams. I also run 5 Z, 2 front mounts - so my wams are needed - they are a deadicated machine. Expensive to fix but I buy parts direct and do 90% in house repairs. The time that I save with the wam compared to Z is worth the extra cost - but then again all my machines have a place for the 5-6 day mowing week.

jtkplc
12-01-2009, 09:57 PM
I run two wams. I also run 5 Z, 2 front mounts - so my wams are needed - they are a deadicated machine. Expensive to fix but I buy parts direct and do 90% in house repairs. The time that I save with the wam compared to Z is worth the extra cost - but then again all my machines have a place for the 5-6 day mowing week.

I think that is the key to your decision.

If you'd get a WAM and use it all day everyday then it makes sense to get a WAM. Because the cost of paying 2 guys to run two other 72" mowers doesn't seem cost effective. However, if you won't be running a WAM but a day or two then it makes sense to get the largest deck size you can use most, 66" or 72" perhaps.

mowyo
12-01-2009, 11:36 PM
I bought a Kunz 60" trailmower (commercial model with extra gauge wheels) to start this season (towed by a 72" dixie chopper diesel) This rig cuts about a 10.5 foot swath and does a great job.I hang this trailmower out over and down in ditches-it's saved me a ton of weed eating.Also have a 72" diesel ferris that my help rides and together we cover a stupid amount of ground in a day.put 300 hrs. on it this year; it has held up very well.check em out at www.kunzeng.com.I think mine was about $4000.

Toxic
12-02-2009, 07:02 AM
I'm looking to use this mower on two school district we currently service which come in right around 125 acres. As well, a third school district shown interest last year in awarding us with another 54 acres if we could take on the work, But I had to turn it down knowing we very well couldn't. So I'm looking to streamline operations in order to take on more work as well as drop a name or two off of the payroll. Wams may seem like a big investment, but compared I'd rather spend the money on a piece of equipment that is always on time in the morning than try to find extra employees that are.

Toxic
12-02-2009, 07:08 AM
I forgot to mention that I already have a 45hp kubota tractor with turf tires that sits for a good part of the year (main job is snow blowing). So why not put it to work on the properties that seem to take forever with 60" and 72" z's

laird006
12-02-2009, 07:43 AM
have you looked into the tow behind landprides? i see them in use a lot

txgrassguy
12-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Toxic, I have used both pull behind rotary and ground powered gang type reel mowers extensively.
I found the rotary unit from Lastec to be the most efficient in terms of overall cost to operate, durability and adaptability to differing site conditions.
Throughout my many years of golf course maintenance prior to my opening a grounds maintenance business my experience with the rotary type units on sites averaging 150 acres has been quite good.
Unit life, ease of maintenance, blade sharpening (the real "kicker" if you will) and transport of the unit without the incessant worry of smacking the reel to bed knife adjustment out of whack all combined with a better clipping dispersion meant for me the rotary was the way to go.
Feedback on the sites, both C3 and C4 turf, were also positive.
To me it makes much more sense to outfit the tractor you already have with a Lastec then acquire a dedicated tractor unit wide area mower.

Toxic
12-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Ok, so I just happened to be browsing around a local dealers website today, scrolling through the used golf and turf equipment and lo and behold what do I find? A lastec 621er.Same model that I was interested in. So I call them up to get some more info. Found out that they took it on trade from a local golf course, put new belts, bushings, couple of wheels, etc on it and are asking 6900$ cdn. Asked what a new one was worth, Around 17000 cdn. So I think I'll go see it tomorrow and if it fits the bill then she'll be coming home with me. I wish every time I was searching for a new piece of equipment it would be this easy.:)

1993lx172
12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Post picks of it if you get the chance.

TGturf
12-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Toxic, I used to work at golf courses that had Lastec's. Great machines, but people get frustrated with them because they don't do the maintenance. Keep it greased, belts tight and install new bushings every year and you will have it forever.

jtkplc
12-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Ok, so I just happened to be browsing around a local dealers website today, scrolling through the used golf and turf equipment and lo and behold what do I find? A lastec 621er.Same model that I was interested in. So I call them up to get some more info. Found out that they took it on trade from a local golf course, put new belts, bushings, couple of wheels, etc on it and are asking 6900$ cdn. Asked what a new one was worth, Around 17000 cdn. So I think I'll go see it tomorrow and if it fits the bill then she'll be coming home with me. I wish every time I was searching for a new piece of equipment it would be this easy.:)

Awesome...congratulations....:clapping:

meets1
12-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Post a few pictures if you get it. Also a great way to utilitze the kubota that "sits" during the year.

Toxic
12-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Well I bought it. Didn't take it home though. Talked the dealer into keeping it in there warehouse until the spring, didn't really want it taking up room in my shop. Did get a couple of pictures of it though. Will take some pictures of the tractor it's going behind and post them later.

Two Seasons
12-03-2009, 10:40 AM
My opinion is this:

WAM's are ok if all the customer wants is field mowing. I've seen WAM's used in commercial cutting and it's a disaster as far as the finished look/damage is concerned.

Toxic
12-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Here is a picture(sorry it is pretty crappy quality) of the tractor that I'll be using with the new mower. It's a 2005 Kubota L4330hstc. 43hp, hydrostatic transmission, a/c, radio, you know all the good stuff. It will be pretty tuff on a guy mowing with this thing on those humid and dusty days but I guess I'll just have to suck it up:p. Can't wait for spring now to try er out.

Toxic
12-03-2009, 05:50 PM
oops forgot the pic:hammerhead:

cutbetterthanyou
12-03-2009, 07:25 PM
I bought a Kunz 60" trailmower (commercial model with extra gauge wheels) to start this season (towed by a 72" dixie chopper diesel) This rig cuts about a 10.5 foot swath and does a great job.I hang this trailmower out over and down in ditches-it's saved me a ton of weed eating.Also have a 72" diesel ferris that my help rides and together we cover a stupid amount of ground in a day.put 300 hrs. on it this year; it has held up very well.check em out at www.kunzeng.com.I think mine was about $4000.

Do you have any pics of your work with this set up

mowyo
12-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Sorry, Cutsbetter no pics.The trailmower is on the left side of the dixie and discharges behind it.Also leaves a funky looking 3-legged track,because of the center gauge wheels.It will mow over almost anything without scalping though.

puppypaws
12-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Well I bought it. Didn't take it home though. Talked the dealer into keeping it in there warehouse until the spring, didn't really want it taking up room in my shop. Did get a couple of pictures of it though. Will take some pictures of the tractor it's going behind and post them later.

Looks like you have it covered, this is one of the strongest built flex mowers on the market.

Read the details, good design.

http://www.befco.com/products/flex/flex.html

cutbetterthanyou
12-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Sorry, Cutsbetter no pics.The trailmower is on the left side of the dixie and discharges behind it.Also leaves a funky looking 3-legged track,because of the center gauge wheels.It will mow over almost anything without scalping though.

I have always wondered how the tow behinds cut i had thought about getting one from the northern catlog. If you don't mind maybe this spring you could get some pics and start a thread about it. Maybe some otheirs would chime in with pics too. I don't think i have every seen any pics of this here on LS

mowyo
12-05-2009, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=cutbetterthanyou;3307752]I have always wondered how the tow behinds cut i had thought about getting one from the northern

the kunz cuts great-it is on par with my z-turns (I probly mow 7-9 mph).My productivity went up 30-40% without hiring anybody and I can still pick up trash with my pickup stick as I mow.The 18 hp Kohler made me realize how much power is lost to hydraulics on z-turns.

That's something Toxic may run into with his new mower and 43 horse kubota.I have a 32 horse kubota hydro with a 84" finish mower and it' a dog .On 10 day schedule grass ,a 60" z-turn will mow rings around it.Time will tell.

packey
12-05-2009, 11:29 PM
I wish I had not been spending as much time working as I have. I have not been watching the posts but if I had I would have advised away form the latec. We run three seprate WA< set ups. a landpride commerical tri deck, a progressive tri deck and a lastec. of all thrie the lastec is in the shop 2 two three times amonth with our mechanic beeting on it. The best performer has been the progressive. I will say this keep ontop of maintaining that lastec becasue if you don't you will have nightmares

Toxic
12-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Anything in particular that I should be looking for on the lastec maintenance wise. Other than grease able parts I dont see too much that could go wrong with it.

packey
12-07-2009, 09:26 AM
The belts wear real fast due to the constant chage in angles from the flex of the deck. The pulles on the deck wear quickly as well. basically it is just tomany moving parts for the amount of flexing it does they wear real quick so keep your eye on them.

Toxic
12-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Which model are you running. I've got the 621er, The deck only flexes in 2 spots. I had also looked at the 521 and 721 but they looked to be a nightmare, Especially in belt wear. They were basically 5 or 7 21" mowers connected with hinges that pivot up and down 30 or 40 degrees. Hopefully mine isn't to bad but only time will tell.

How do you like mowing with the landpride and the progressive? I was originally looking at the same type mower(woods batwing) but ended up with the lastec because of its compact size.

packey
12-07-2009, 04:38 PM
We used the 721