PDA

View Full Version : Which Mower setup would you choose given the scenario

RLS24
12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
About ~25 lawns, most 1/4 acre or smaller, most ungated, but a few with 4' gates, few with 3' gates, a few that are 1/2 acre or larger, and 1 1 acre.

Choose between the following options:

Finance a 48" stander (whether it be a Toro or a Wright-both are competitively priced) and the option of picking up a used 32" WB later in the summer

Finance a 36" stander (Wright or Toro-I assume the 36" Grandstand will be priced competitively to the Wright) and minimize the use of the 21"

Pay cash for a new 36" belt drive WB (either a Toro T-bar or a Scag) and maybe get something bigger next year.

Anything I finance will be paid off by summer's end. I currently have an old 48" Lesco belt drive thats on its last legs and I may or may not be able to push it through one more year.

Ronniecoleman
12-01-2009, 07:00 PM
If most of you properties are ungated I would pick a 48" stander.

How many have a 3' gate, how many 4'.

topsites
12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Don't finance, there, problem solved, you get the 36" Toro T-bar and you
won't have no explaining to do as it will fit through pretty much every gate,
then start saving your money for the next upgrade and don't be a slave.

Peace

towtruck212
12-01-2009, 07:27 PM
or buy 1 used 36 and 1 used 48 for slightly more than the new 36. Who knows you might even be able to get the used ones in hydro!

a clear difference lawn
12-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I would look at the Gravely 34Z if you have a dealer reasonably close. It sounds perfect for your needs. It is a very fast little mower with a hydro setup designed for much bigger machines. It has a 5" deep deck and discharges or mulches beautifully. I think you will save a chunk of change vs the standers - I'm not sure about the walk-behind price. This little machine can complete an acre pretty darn fast - with a great cut quality - while also getting in all of your gates, thereby eliminating the need for another mower. It is easy to service and very dependable. Just a suggestion but you may want to give it a look

towtruck212
12-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Would your lesco hold up as a back up? If not having two mowers is important.

Richard Martin
12-01-2009, 07:35 PM
No doubt about it, get the 48". Obtaining financing doesn't make you a slave to anything. You're borrowing money and paying it back. It's usually those that can't get financing that complain the most.

dhunterd08
12-01-2009, 08:03 PM
I have maybe 10 more accounts then you about the same size and situation, but i was in the same exact position last year. I bought a gravely 36 hydro with 50 hours for 2k. Best decision i ever made! Forget the stander get you a hydro it makes all the difference and save up for a bigger walk behind next year. I'll be getting a 52 or 61 with this years profits and i will be keeping my wonderful 36inch gravely!

RLS24
12-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah I am gonna look into used stuff, the problem is people around here run everything they have into the ground and finding anything decent used is like next to impossible. As much as I feel like a 36" is a step down from what I have I know that I am going to need a good reliable one for smaller properties once I get a bigger mower.

punt66
12-01-2009, 09:08 PM
No doubt about it, get the 48". Obtaining financing doesn't make you a slave to anything. You're borrowing money and paying it back. It's usually those that can't get financing that complain the most.

Yea, i always laugh at people who are scared to finance a piece of equipment that will EARN them money in a reliable and productive package.

lotsagrass
12-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Phazer, 34" wide to sneak through gates and you get to sit down? Just an idea. http://www.exmark.com/phazer.htm

Drew Gemma
12-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Fix the lesco to get you through one more year. Buy a used low hour 36 hydro and pay it off next year. the following year unload the lesco. Purchase what you need at that time a bigger wb hydro or a z or a walker who knows.

RLS24
12-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Fix the lesco to get you through one more year. Buy a used low hour 36 hydro and pay it off next year. the following year unload the lesco. Purchase what you need at that time a bigger wb hydro or a z or a walker who knows.

The problem with the Lesco is it needs more work than its either worth on a trade in or I could sell it for in good condition. It needs a carb, all new belts, 2 tires, 2 spindles, everything adjusted, and it burns about 3/4 quart of oil every 10 hours or so. Grated, I could prob fix everything myself, but its still burning oil, and that something that I can't fix so easily. I know Spindles are expensive, and a new motor would be expensive, so basically by the time I replace all that, I'm more than halfway to buying that Toro T-bar 36" and at the end of the day, the Lesco is STILL a 14 year old mower on the original transmission. SO thats my whole reasoning behind getting a new mower.

michaelee2
12-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I would say get something you can work with. If the Lesco is that old with that many problems it is not worth trying to fix. Plus you don't want something that breaks down in the field everyday. Not sure what to tell you to buy but look around at used because sometimes you can find a great deal.

RLS24
12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I would say get something you can work with. If the Lesco is that old with that many problems it is not worth trying to fix. Plus you don't want something that breaks down in the field everyday. Not sure what to tell you to buy but look around at used because sometimes you can find a great deal.

Yeah I just looked into that eXmark 34" Phazer that some1 suggested, but I have no idea what they cost and it seems like a lot of mower for only 34" for what I assume it costs, I think I'd be better off with a 36" stander, or maybe not?

PTP
12-02-2009, 04:26 PM
I, too, would go with the machine that you can pay cash for. I have purchased 11 new mowers this way since I have been in business and have never regretted that.

RLS24
12-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Just called up the local eXmark dealer, and that Phazer is indeed about the exact same price as a 36" stander. The Metro 36" belt with ECS controls is $3300, which is $500 less than Toro T-Bar. I'm kind of leaning towards that right now.

RLS24
12-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I would look at the Gravely 34Z if you have a dealer reasonably close. It sounds perfect for your needs. It is a very fast little mower with a hydro setup designed for much bigger machines. It has a 5" deep deck and discharges or mulches beautifully. I think you will save a chunk of change vs the standers - I'm not sure about the walk-behind price. This little machine can complete an acre pretty darn fast - with a great cut quality - while also getting in all of your gates, thereby eliminating the need for another mower. It is easy to service and very dependable. Just a suggestion but you may want to give it a look

I just looked at this online and called my Gravely dealer and they are getting about 5 grand for the 34Z. Another option to consider.

delphied
12-02-2009, 06:04 PM
My small mower is my 48 Toro Grandstand. I love it. If it wont fit a gate I dont mow it. I will never go back to any WB. If you are solo, I recommend the free financing for the new 48 stand on mower. I wouldnt want to buy a new mower for employees to use because they are very hard on equipment.

Drew Gemma
12-02-2009, 06:33 PM
We run 36 hydro wb, rotate between 52 hydro wb or 61 turf Tiger, snzpper 21's and 2 walkers over time you will never have the right mower so buy for the now and what it might do later for you.

RLS24
12-03-2009, 03:04 PM
went to my Gravely dealer (who is also a Wright dealer) to look at the 34Z. I like it, but they tried steering me towards a 36" Stander, that just happens to be on sale until 12/8 for $4800 with a Grass Gobbler. So.....there may be a Wright in my stable soon...... thoughts?

delphied
12-03-2009, 04:05 PM
went to my Gravely dealer (who is also a Wright dealer) to look at the 34Z. I like it, but they tried steering me towards a 36" Stander, that just happens to be on sale until 12/8 for $4800 with a Grass Gobbler. So.....there may be a Wright in my stable soon...... thoughts?

If you are leaning to a smaller mower, thats a hard price to beat. You wont need to buy a velke, wont have to worry about whether its hydro or belt drive, and they are a great mower.

RLS24
12-03-2009, 04:28 PM
I know, its just hard right now to finance something when I'm not going to be using it and its not going to be making me any money for another 5 months. It's just a hard decision to make. The Gravely rider on the other hand is $4850 and that will prob be the same price in the spring. This is such a hard decision to make!

delphied
12-03-2009, 04:32 PM
If you are that tight on the money you better use what you have like the other guys said.

RLS24
12-03-2009, 04:45 PM
If you are that tight on the money you better use what you have like the other guys said.

It's not that I'm tight on money at all, I just don't like the thought of sending in a payment for something thats just sitting there in the shop not being used, and thats 5 months of a warranty being wasted while its sitting there. I also have like 5 days to make a decision and I was hoping to have more time to think about it and shop around.

delphied
12-03-2009, 05:09 PM
No matter when you purchase the machine, you will get 2 seasons of warranty. Likewise, you will be paying payments for a set amount of time and you will either pay through this winter or the winter of the last year of payments. If you can get zero financing now, you may not be able to get it or the low price in the spring. Check the special pricing on the Wright site to make sure your deal is right as well. They do have off season pricing every year you know? I still recommend 48 as the smallest mower but my area has larger yards and no gates as a rule.

a clear difference lawn
12-03-2009, 07:17 PM

If I were you I would try to adjust the deck on the stander before you buy it. If I am not mistaken, they have a fixed deck which can be a real pain. Otherwise, I hear that they are great machines. Personally, I need to be able to adjust the height of my deck quickly, so a fixed deck just isn't an option. If the heght adjustment is not am issue I would say go for it - because that is a good price.

RLS24
12-03-2009, 07:40 PM
yeah, I service mainly the older part of town....like I said 80% of my lawns are 1/4 acre or less, some have gates, but a lot have trees, beds, pools, fences, all in close proximity of each other so theres a lot of maneuvering involved when mowing. Ideally, I would like to have a 36" and a 48" however, in weighing the options I am starting to think that I'm going to see more productivity in the 36" Wright given its ability to maneuver and speed over something with a larger deck. I test drove it in the parking lot and holy crap that thing flies!

Also, I don't know if I mentioned this or not, but I can still probably get the Gravely 34Z in the spring for the same price as I can get the Wright now. The dealer was pretty much trying to sell me on the fact that the Wright takes up a lot less trailer space, but I really don't care about that cuz whatever trailer I end up buying is gonna be at least twice the size that I need, cuz I'm not buying another one in 2 years lol.

nswc101
12-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Here's what I did with my first 48" stander, I could only qualify for minimal financing on my own because I was pretty young with good, but little credit. So I paid 3500 cash and financed the rest. The stander is a very versatile mower, we have fit it between 48" gates before, its very tight but it seems like most of your yards are open. I would get a fixed deck over the rapid height too. I like our 52" fixed better, it feels like a more solid machine than the 48" rapid height. Financing is not bad if you are the kind of person who stays on top of their bills and is responsible with money, meaning you don't blow it before you pay the bills. Make things easy, buy a good machine, pay what you can now and finance/ pay off the rest.

RLS24
12-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Here's what I did with my first 48" stander, I could only qualify for minimal financing on my own because I was pretty young with good, but little credit. So I paid 3500 cash and financed the rest. The stander is a very versatile mower, we have fit it between 48" gates before, its very tight but it seems like most of your yards are open. I would get a fixed deck over the rapid height too. I like our 52" fixed better, it feels like a more solid machine than the 48" rapid height. Financing is not bad if you are the kind of person who stays on top of their bills and is responsible with money, meaning you don't blow it before you pay the bills. Make things easy, buy a good machine, pay what you can now and finance/ pay off the rest.

Yeah I'm "responsible" haha thats one thing this business has taught me for sure. The RH model isn't really an option because the dealer doesnt have any and the rebate deal is only good on dealer stock. If anything I would do the 12 months same as cash cuz I know I would be able to pay it off by this time next year for sure, so I guess that would save me some money in interest in the long run.

unkownfl
12-03-2009, 11:08 PM
I have the 36 wright stander, and love it. I also have about the same accounts as you beside the 1 1 acre property. The only thing I wish I had was the rapid height. I have a mix of St Augustine and Bahia accounts so adjusting is a pain.

nswc101
12-03-2009, 11:34 PM
I did the 12 months same as cash too, worked well. Paid the 3500 and then paid the rest off in a single payment. No interest charges, nothing to worry about.

RLS24
12-03-2009, 11:59 PM
I have the 36 wright stander, and love it. I also have about the same accounts as you beside the 1 1 acre property. The only thing I wish I had was the rapid height. I have a mix of St Augustine and Bahia accounts so adjusting is a pain.

yeah pretty much everything here is Kentucky Blue grass, or a mixture of that and weeds LOL. the only time I ever adjust the height is for one lawn I did last year that the guy I swear had TruGreen come every week cuz I have never seen grass grow like that! Theres a LOT of Standers around here, and I don't think I've ever seen a RH model...actually didn't even know they existed til I saw some on here haha.

Landscape Poet
12-04-2009, 04:12 AM

I second a this or a 36 inch z - it is what I use, cost was less than most walkbehinds, I can get into any property and get out quick. No hassle unloading from the trailers - makes life easy and simple. Most of my lots are small and this gives me the option to ride all day vs stand. Also having the ability to switch deck height easily if needed is a plus over most of the standers in this price range.
This way you always have a back up Z in the future - so no more worries when your z might make its way to the shop, just break out your old 36 or 34 z.

RLS24
12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
well, the Wright rebate was up yesterday, and theres not a new Stander in my shop.....I think I made the right choice by passing on that and I'm just gonna keep plugging away and doing more research over the winter. I think the Wright would have been more of an impulse buy, and those are sometimes regretted. I'm still really looking at that Gravely though....

delphied
12-08-2009, 04:41 PM
well, the Wright rebate was up yesterday, and theres not a new Stander in my shop.....I think I made the right choice by passing on that and I'm just gonna keep plugging away and doing more research over the winter. I think the Wright would have been more of an impulse buy, and those are sometimes regretted. I'm still really looking at that Gravely though....

If you are still looking at the Gravely over a Wright then I would agree. You need to do more research.

Killian
12-08-2009, 07:27 PM
If its the idea of financing something over the winter that stopped you from buying the Wright...you could use your available cash to buy a used 48" walkbehind and or a used 36" walkbehind. Add a velke and you are set, I do 2 that are over 1 acre with a 36" walk and velke sometimes and its not a big deal. You have all winter to look and now should be the time for bargains.

sels
12-08-2009, 09:08 PM
If its the idea of financing something over the winter that stopped you from buying the Wright...you could use your available cash to buy a used 48" walkbehind and or a used 36" walkbehind. Add a velke and you are set, I do 2 that are over 1 acre with a 36" walk and velke sometimes and its not a big deal. You have all winter to look and now should be the time for bargains.
Posted via Mobile Device

sels
12-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Zero percent financing and no off season payments.
Pay cash
Then pay yourself the payment for the next upgrade
Posted via Mobile Device