PDA

View Full Version : ATV Pull Behind Mower

urbanlw
12-01-2009, 06:17 PM
I wanted to get everyones feedback on this kind of mower. I have a couple of propertys that get over grown through the winter and such. I think this might be the way to go.. I have a 650 4 wheeler that would pull this thing all day long and might be the better option than new 10k tractor and trailer package. My deere 737 can handle it but I just hate to use it in the tall stuff because I have to clean the deck and sharpen the blades after each use.

Here is what I need it for.

1) About 3 acres of milkweed, johnson grass, etc..etc

2) Those first time 3 acre plus propertys that have not seen a mower in a couple of years ( thought it might work to " Texas Term" Shred the grass.

3) Couple pass at the deer lease to clean up the buffalo grass around the feeders and blinds

Please share you comments if you used this type of mower before. Here is one for sale in my local area.
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/grd/1489545334.html :usflag:

topsites
12-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Hmmm...

It would probably work dandy but you need a low enough gear and I would
definitely check into some type of a cruise control for the ATV so you can lock
the throttle in some kind of way.

Even then I think your biggest challenge would be keeping a steady speed,
on the other hand you're just brush hogging so I think it would be all right,
but that would be the one drawback I can see, is keeping a steady speed.

Work wise, yeah I'm sure it can handle itself there.

doubleedge
12-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Hmmm...

It would probably work dandy but you need a low enough gear and I would
definitely check into some type of a cruise control for the ATV so you can lock
the throttle in some kind of way.

Even then I think your biggest challenge would be keeping a steady speed,
on the other hand you're just brush hogging so I think it would be all right,
but that would be the one drawback I can see, is keeping a steady speed.

Work wise, yeah I'm sure it can handle itself there.

ATVs do have speedometers, you know. Plus, he should be able to judge speed by cut quality or engine speed.

urbanlw
12-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Here are some pics of the 650. Its a great machine and I think would hold speed ok. A tractor would be the perfect thing but, thats a whole new set up.

N.TX
12-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I dunno....I would recommend just getting a cheap used ztr or keep a dull set of blades and a air impact and swap them out quick.

corey4671
12-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I bought one of these last spring to use with my Honda Rubicon. It was the Swisher brand from Tractor Supply. Honestly. I hate it. You have to go so slow with it to get a good cut. The low speed caused my ATV (liquid Cooled) to overheat. I'd get to run for maybe 45 minutes and would have to stop and let it cool down. It's parked out behind the barn and hasn't been run since sometime in late April

urbanlw
12-01-2009, 09:33 PM
I bought one of these last spring to use with my Honda Rubicon. It was the Swisher brand from Tractor Supply. Honestly. I hate it. You have to go so slow with it to get a good cut. The low speed caused my ATV (liquid Cooled) to overheat. I'd get to run for maybe 45 minutes and would have to stop and let it cool down. It's parked out behind the barn and hasn't been run since sometime in late April Thats what needs to be put in the brochure. I wouldn't thought of the over heating issue.. good stuff thanks .. keep them coming

browningv308
12-02-2009, 05:54 AM
I had 1 made by swisher for Polaris It had blades like a real bush hog it would not cut any kind of grass very good but it would cut small trees and stuff like that the thing weighed so much my sportsman 500 would over heat pulling it it was a pain in the a$$ to back up the tong would bend easily the tires always went flat in other words these mower look like a good idea but need some work stay away

clay duncan
12-02-2009, 09:56 AM
i have a swisher 44 rough cut mower that i pull with a honda 450 foreman. i have not had any of the problems stated above. in fact i prefer to use it instead of my tractor for bush hogging......

petroskie
02-02-2010, 05:31 PM
I have a DR brush mower with the 17HP kawi, and it eats everything, up to 3inch saplings, field grass, brush, if i could get the quad over it the mower ate it, i have a yamaha 660 and it does not oever heat, i go about 8-10mph. it has the swing blades too so if you hit a rock no propb just keep going

blakerugg
02-02-2010, 05:42 PM
i also vote that you check out the DR, i dont own one but ive heard a lot of good things about them

http://www.drpower.com/field-brush-mower_tow-behind.aspx?wb-icon

bohiaa
02-02-2010, 05:50 PM
there used all the time,,,,HOWEVER there used in larger areas ....DUH of corse.
most of the pull behinds are rough cut mowers

clean_cut
02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Not sure about the ATV, but a used tractor can be found for around 3,000 dollars. My local John Deer dealer has a ford 3000 (about 40hp) asking around 4,000, but they'll probably take a few hundred less.

So it won't be that expensive to buy a used tractor and a bush hog if you want to go that route.

Now that I think about it though, it would be hard to haul the tractor without a big trailer and a big truck.

petroskie
02-02-2010, 06:39 PM
thats why we use the quads and mowers, you can also hit the hill sides with some ease and they are pretty manuverable.

corey4671
02-02-2010, 08:01 PM
i have a swisher 44 rough cut mower that i pull with a honda 450 foreman. i have not had any of the problems stated above. in fact i prefer to use it instead of my tractor for bush hogging......

the difference between the 450 and the rubicon is that the 450 is air cooled where the rubicon is liquid cooled.