PDA

View Full Version : mouseovers

TooLPrincessBlaze
05-18-2002, 10:40 PM
Does anybody out there know the HTML code for a mouse over? (its the thing where when you move your cursor over a link picture the picture changes to another picture) :angel: :(

DaveK
05-19-2002, 05:24 PM
It is actually javascript not html. There are many scripts on the web.

Here is an automatic script generator that works fairly well.

http://javascript.internet.com/generators/preload-images.html

heygrassman
05-20-2002, 09:56 PM
you can steal the code from my site, you will have to replace the pic with yours of course. My mouse overs are on the left panel of the frame(residential service...) . If you can not get them from there, lemme know and I will dig into the code and copy it over..

www.ascapes.net

DaveK
05-20-2002, 10:23 PM
Heygrassman, the code on your site could use a little tweaking. It doesn't preload the secondary images. After the page is fully loaded, when moving the mouse over the menu, it then downloads the secondary image. Move over another menu item, and again wait for the image.
If they were preloaded into the browser cache, the mouseover would occur instantly. Your animate.js javascript is larger in size than all the code and text on your home page. But bandwidth isn't really a concern unless it's a very busy site.

BTW, MS Frontpage does not create very efficient code.
Your pics on the "before and after" page (I clicked on the little shovel image) are huge (1280x960) and when you "resize" them in Front Page to width="300" height="225", it just displays them smaller (it doesn't actually resize the image) and the visual quality is actually much worse, not to mention bandwidth again. To view that page in actual size in full quality, you would need a monitor about 4 feet wide and 3 feet tall.

I am not trying to offend you either, just offering a few tips and advice (even if you didn't ask for it :) )

heygrassman
05-23-2002, 10:07 PM
No offense taken Dave. I honestly have not had any time to work on the site. This will be a winter project. I used Front Page in a crunch to get something up.

Thanks for the thoughts. They are appreciated.

jf