PDA

View Full Version : Lighting a play structure.

capelawncare.com
12-01-2009, 11:21 PM
I was wondering if any of you guys, have ever lit up a play structure? This would be for me personally, not a customer. I dont have much lighting experience.

Any examples you could provide, or advise would be greatly appreciated.

JoeyD
12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Downlight and make sure you dont mount any fixtures like puck lights that can get really warm to the touch.....

Terradek
12-02-2009, 10:20 AM
In my experience, I have found that there are a couple of techniques that work better than others. As kids will be actively using the structure my primary concern is safety. Consequently, I prefer to down light to these structures.
My favorite technique though is to use fiber optics...for a couple of reasons. The first again is safety. Fiber Optics allows for the light sources to be placed in and on the structure without any safety issues (e.g. Hot lamps). The real advantage of this technique is that you will introduce some unique elements to the enjoyment of the structure. The slide tunnel will be a whole new experience with a strand of fiber that changes color...Outline the structure with side emitting cable for a really unique look. Use end emitting fibers to focus light on climbing apparatus, etc. If you go with Fiber Optics for your play structure it will be the talk of the neighborhood.

capelawncare.com
12-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Thats great. I love the idea of lighting the slide. Have you guys done any of these, if so do you have pictures. I would love to see some if you do.

Terradek
12-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately I do not have photos available...but go to www.illuminfx.com and you will see some application photos of other types of installations using the fiber optics product.

Fiber Optics is also one of the best ways to light water features as there is no electricity in the line, just light. The photos will give you a feel for the illumination capability of the product and also the color capability of the system.

For the slide tunnel I would use a U track (supplied with the system) that would be attached to the top inside of the tunnel, you would then snap a single strand of 25 fiber side emitting cable into the track and you are done. This would be all that you need for that portion of the structure. Use side emitting fibers for outlining the structure and end emitting for spot lighting other areas (e.g. rope ladders and platforms). The system would be custom cut for your application and it would come to you as a plug and play install; Each illuminator has the capability of supplying 16 cables of 25 strand fibers. So with one lamp source it can provide up to 16 light sources for you project. A 25 strand fiber cable is approx. 1/4" diameter and is very flexible. The Illuminator (light source) has a 25' plug cord that connects to any 120v outlet. The fibers exit the illuminator and are installed as required. Illuminators come standard with a four color wheel and can be left to cycle on its own or a remote can be added to stop the wheel on any of the four colors.

For more information give me a call at 800-609-1130.

JoeyD
12-02-2009, 04:14 PM
The IlluminFX product is a great suggestion! I havent seen a play set lit this way but I think it would look fantastic!!!

Lite4
12-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Best lighting for playing at night would be a 120 volt pole style street light with full cutoff, say around 20' high. Maybe not as pretty but more light for play time.

Mark B
12-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I agree with Tim on this one. Here in NC they are fairly cheap as well.

The Lighting Geek
12-02-2009, 10:16 PM
I have done some unusual installations of fiber optic. It would work great for this. Also LED is a good option since you don't get the heat issues.

Terradek
12-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Tommy, Now there is an idea for a future episode of Yard Crasher...Fiber Optics on a Play Structure...It may open a whole new market segment for our industry.

The Lighting Geek
12-03-2009, 09:49 AM
I just shot an episode of Yard Crashers where i used IlluminFX fiber optic run through a square tubed steel patio cover and had 3 runs hang down over the bar to light the bar top. We cut some wine bottles with a tile saw and turned them into pendant lights. Three more runs shine down under the bar top illuminating the front of the bar and foot rest bar. One of the few times a color wheel was appropriate due to the industrial look of the bar and cover.

You could do a play structure with some planning, and there is no heat and you can hide the source of the light very effectively.

capelawncare.com
12-03-2009, 04:12 PM
My back yard would be a prime candiate for yard crashers. What is the saying about the cobblers kid, not having shoes?

BTW I loved what you did with that glass end table (cube), on that one episode of Yard Crashers . That was pretty awesome.