PDA

View Full Version : part timer hoping to eventually get to full time

laird006
12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
My name is John, and I am 22 years old. I've worked in this industry since I was 16 at a few different businesses.

I so far have an associates degree in Horticulture, as well as an associates degree in Turf Management.

I have worked for a Landscape maintenance company, have worked for a design and install company.

I currently work at a golf course/ HOA maintenance company, at this company I am the spray tech, irrigation tech, and mechanic, along with any other job that needs doing that day, basically the do all guy.

I have kind of messed around with a lawn care and landscape company the past couple years. I've done a few renovations of landscapes, and i think they've all turned out very well.

so far I have a couple trailers, a 60" zero turn, a 21 inch push mower, weedeaters, backpack blower, lots of wheelbarrows, tractors, etc. my family has somewhat of a hobby farm so I have access to some other equipment along with access to an aerator from my work.

My plan is to start to push my lawn care and landscaping business and soon get registered, and get insurance, for hire pest. license, etc.

My plan is to offer lawn care and landscaping, fertilizer and weed control, but I would eventually like to get into more dirt work and new installs, grading, etc.

My plan is to call my business Bay Property Services, due to the fact I plan on offering more than one service, and you never know what direction that you might grow in the future.

Anyone care to offer any tips or suggestions to me?

Thanks,

John

g21
12-04-2009, 04:54 PM
John,
Congrats on having a fine background that is going to put you in a great position to compete. As you grow into commercial maintenance, don't hesitate to ask for help in any area you may frustrated in...I can help!

Good Luck

Tommy

BearWise Landscapers
12-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I like the name 'Bay Property Services'. Good luck with your new endeavor.

I only offer insurance to Florida landscapers, but if you have any questions about insurance coverages, I would be glad to help. Just shoot me a message or contact me through the website listed in my signature.

Check out these two articles about the insurance I recommend to new landscaping businesses:

Landscaper with No Employees (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/2008/new-landscaper/)

Landscaper with 2 Employees (http://www.BearWiseLandscapers.com/articles/2009/small-landscaper/)

Hope those are helpful. Keep us informed with how your business grows.

laird006
12-04-2009, 08:19 PM
thanks so far guys, I'll look over some of this tomorrow when I have a little bit more time.

DLAWNS
12-05-2009, 12:10 AM
My name is John, and I am 22 years old. I've worked in this industry since I was 16 at a few different businesses.

I so far have an associates degree in Horticulture, as well as an associates degree in Turf Management.

I have worked for a Landscape maintenance company, have worked for a design and install company.

I currently work at a golf course/ HOA maintenance company, at this company I am the spray tech, irrigation tech, and mechanic, along with any other job that needs doing that day, basically the do all guy.

I have kind of messed around with a lawn care and landscape company the past couple years. I've done a few renovations of landscapes, and i think they've all turned out very well.

so far I have a couple trailers, a 60" zero turn, a 21 inch push mower, weedeaters, backpack blower, lots of wheelbarrows, tractors, etc. my family has somewhat of a hobby farm so I have access to some other equipment along with access to an aerator from my work.

My plan is to start to push my lawn care and landscaping business and soon get registered, and get insurance, for hire pest. license, etc.

My plan is to offer lawn care and landscaping, fertilizer and weed control, but I would eventually like to get into more dirt work and new installs, grading, etc.

My plan is to call my business Bay Property Services, due to the fact I plan on offering more than one service, and you never know what direction that you might grow in the future.

Anyone care to offer any tips or suggestions to me?

Thanks,

John

Welcome to the site. It sounds like with all your background in the field you will be very successful. Good luck to ya!