PDA

View Full Version : Weed Treatment

TheBryGuy
12-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey guys, just a quick question. Will the broadleaf weed killer also take care of things like clover and dichondra? I have some customers that have patches of clover popping up all over the yard and I don't want to kill off the grass around them. Thanks!

jason u
12-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Depends on what type of weed killer you are using - take a look at the label and see if it is pre or post emergent herbicide, and specifically which weeds it will target.

TheBryGuy
12-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Alright thanks. I haven't actually gotten the herbicide yet. I wanted to make sure I didn't need to buy multiple herbicides or not for sure before I made the purchase.

cod8825
12-02-2009, 06:01 PM
TheBryGuy:

I will state this once before you start applying pesticides to customers yards get certified. Clover is a little bit tricky but I almost always get it with three-way. In rare instances do I need to use something stronger like Momentum FX2 or speedzone. Make sure it will work on warm season grasses what works up here may not work down there.

Matt

Matt

mdlwn1
12-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Dicamba (spelling) is what will do the most damage to clover. Just make sure your product has this ingredient. Keep in mind that clover is a process.

TheBryGuy
12-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys.

RigglePLC
12-02-2009, 10:31 PM
BryGuy,
get licensed and talk to local dealers, experienced guys or experts. Austin, St Augustine country. Use a product that is suitable and labeled for the species of grass you are growing.
Do you mean you want to protect the dichondra or kill it?

If you are talking about a dichondra lawn--I can't help you. Shivering too much.

LawnoftheMonth
12-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Your St.Augustine lawns wont tolerate the types of weed control the northerners on here use. Clover is relatively easy but dichondra is tough to get rid of in st.augustine lawns.

TheBryGuy
12-02-2009, 11:13 PM
haha no no, it's not a dichondra lawn, there are small spots of dichondra popping up. I want to nip them in the bud before they get out of hand.

jvanvliet
12-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Try Lesco with Penoxsulum or Scotts with 1.3% Atrazine... You can put down a little more than "normal" but be sure to water it in.
FYI; I use Lesco

Ric
12-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Dichondra is a water loving weed and establishes in wet areas. Once Established it can survive in dry areas. There is no Pre emerge for Dichondra that I know of. While most any Post Emerge will suppress Dichondra quickly, I have found Atrazine Weed & Feed does the best job of controlling it in the long run. In granular form Atrazine has a longer residual than Liquid which has a quicker knock down. Dichondra is a ruff weed to control.

Clover Is best controlled by Dicamba Post Emerge and most Pre emerges.

grassman177
12-03-2009, 02:27 PM
just make sure you have a license !

txgrassguy
12-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Indicate your license number and I'll be glad to answer your question.
Also, from viewing your website, the TCEQ mandates your irrigation number be indicated in order to advertise for repair, selling or alteration.

gbock
12-03-2009, 06:16 PM
I sell pesticides for Agrium Advanced Technologies in western New York. My customers tell me a three way herbicide used at the low rate along with 1 oz of Quick Silver (Carfentrazone) per ACRE smokes clover.

TheBryGuy
12-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys, already aware of the regulations. Until you see me repair a sprinkler system, get off my case.

txgrassguy
12-04-2009, 10:26 AM
No - no I won't as your web site indicates irrigation repair.
I don't make the rules and all I did was indicate a potential problem you might not have been aware of so it could be corrected.
You don't want too, obviously that is your right - just don't whine the way you did in your response when you get caught.

TheBryGuy
12-04-2009, 12:47 PM
There was no whining any my response. What irritates me about helpful forums is you always get the guy who doesn't care anything about helping, only pointing out things you are doing wrong. Yes, you are right, I do advertise irrigation and in January I will be certified and when that happens I WILL post my number. I have already told several of my customers that I won't be able to do sprinkler stuff until January. I asked a question about weeds, not about irrigation. Please stay on subject and stop being the guy that has to be an ass.

txgrassguy
12-06-2009, 09:44 AM
I work and live just West of you - if you have a problem with me I'll be more than happy to meet with you to discuss your responses.