PDA

View Full Version : Backpack plus Handheld

GlynnC
12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
I know many of you have used the technique of using both backpack and handheld blowers at the same time, but yesterday was my first. My grandson and I were doing the fall leaf cleanup for a fairly large commercial account. I had been using a Shin 8510 almost all day to blow leaves from the grass areas--then started the 100 car parking lot. I decided to give it a try with the Echo handheld also. The results was almost unbelievable. The added volume was good, but the direction control was great.

I know Alan0354 often talks about using the combo--wow did it work great yesterday.

Thanks for the tips presented on this forum!

stevenf
12-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Funny you speak of this. Today was the first time I saw this. It seemed to work great. I always have the typical problem of leaves making a circle and coming back toward me when I blow. A handheld may fix this problem.

W.L.M.
12-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I started double wielding the blowers this fall with a br600 and a husqvarna hand blower and man it is great you have close to the power of a wheeled 8 horse blower but way more mobility and direction control. I find myself using 2 blowers for everything now, even blowing the road off at the HOA I mow. The abilitiy to just buzz through everything and fight the wind is worth the extra gas useage and believe me you use alot.

topsites
12-02-2009, 05:02 PM
It does, I started doing leaves that way about 2-3 years ago, the biggest problem is
once you start doing that crap you can't go back to doing it the old way LOL!
You won't, now that you've experienced it, you might use just the backpack once in a bit
but I can tell you it doesn't take me long to grab that hand held, yup, every time.

But if you think that's powerful?
Now it took time to build up to this next one, for me it did because I'm not that big of a guy and it takes a bit of strength...
Try using the push blower and the back pack at the same time.
I got the idea from a video on Youtube :laugh:

The hardest part is getting the nozzles to line up half way but once they do, in my case the
combination dumps out 3,000 cfm's and I promise you ain't never seen so many leaves MOVING lol

Half the time I use the bp to clean up the stuff that's stuck to the ground
as I'm pulling the push blower behind me, that works good too.

topsites
12-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Man, I was just trying to find specifications about this and I ran into this deal for the Vermont area...
$849 for a 10hp Billy Goat push blower, that's a good deal, I paid near a grand for mine (maybe 900 but 8 years ago).

http://www.newhavenpower.com/Billygoat_10HP_QVblower.html

Alan0354
12-02-2009, 05:22 PM
I know many of you have used the technique of using both backpack and handheld blowers at the same time, but yesterday was my first. My grandson and I were doing the fall leaf cleanup for a fairly large commercial account. I had been using a Shin 8510 almost all day to blow leaves from the grass areas--then started the 100 car parking lot. I decided to give it a try with the Echo handheld also. The results was almost unbelievable. The added volume was good, but the direction control was great.

I know Alan0354 often talks about using the combo--wow did it work great yesterday.

Thanks for the tips presented on this forum!

I am glad!!:waving:

STIHL GUY
12-02-2009, 10:46 PM
sounds like a good technique but i only have the BP blower and dont wanna buy a handheld

david shumaker
12-02-2009, 11:09 PM
It does, I started doing leaves that way about 2-3 years ago, the biggest problem is
once you start doing that crap you can't go back to doing it the old way LOL!
You won't, now that you've experienced it, you might use just the backpack once in a bit
but I can tell you it doesn't take me long to grab that hand held, yup, every time.

But if you think that's powerful?
Now it took time to build up to this next one, for me it did because I'm not that big of a guy and it takes a bit of strength...
Try using the push blower and the back pack at the same time.
I got the idea from a video on Youtube :laugh:

The hardest part is getting the nozzles to line up half way but once they do, in my case the
combination dumps out 3,000 cfm's and I promise you ain't never seen so many leaves MOVING lol

Half the time I use the bp to clean up the stuff that's stuck to the ground
as I'm pulling the push blower behind me, that works good too.

I was using this technique today. It was raining and leaves were stuck to the ground and muddy. Even with my BR600 and 10HP Little Wonder blowing at the same time, the leaves would hardly move once in a little pile.

Turfdude
12-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Check this out... may be available soon
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=289518&highlight=twindstorm

Alan0354
12-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Check this out... may be available soon
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=289518&highlight=twindstorm

The difference is this is all or nothing. With the hand held, it is more useful. YOu do small job with hand held, medium job with bp, and big leaves with both.

And you can buy a very small and cheap hand held like the Husky 125Bt for $149 or Echo 265? for about 160. I found the hand held is very useful when use it for blowing off chipping and loose dirt on concrete after mowing and trimming. The time it take to put on the bp, you can finish the little blowing with the hand held.

The hand held is not just to add power, it can serve as directing the dirt to the main blower to blow. With the hand held, you can hold it farther from your body to direct the stream towards the main bp. With two tube as shown, you really cannot hold the tube away from you body and blow back. With the twin tube blower, you can blow a wider path, but you really cannot direct and blow.

W.L.M.
12-03-2009, 12:32 AM
sounds like a good technique but i only have the BP blower and dont wanna buy a handheld

I picked up a husqvarna 125 for $140 and it happens to be one of the most powerful handheld blowers out there. For the price I coudln't be happier with the thing. It is just cold blooded as hell.

Alan0354
12-03-2009, 01:27 AM
I picked up a husqvarna 125 for $140 and it happens to be one of the most powerful handheld blowers out there. For the price I coudln't be happier with the thing. It is just cold blooded as hell.

Just suck that all the new ones are like this!!!

carlsmower
12-03-2009, 03:24 AM
It may get better as it breaks in, 15-20 hours or so. The Stihl BG seems to spec out better than the Husky 125 and has a 2 year commercial warranty. Oh well, Husky will do

joel29m
12-03-2009, 03:36 AM
i have a backpack and handheld echo blower, i have to try that!

W.L.M.
12-03-2009, 01:48 PM
It may get better as it breaks in, 15-20 hours or so. The Stihl BG seems to spec out better than the Husky 125 and has a 2 year commercial warranty. Oh well, Husky will do

It is $100 more though, it may be a better machine but when it costs 70% more I think it is not worth it for a machine that is going to see low useage. next year if I have a good year I plan on buying a shindaiwa 802 backpack and a new 3410 handblower.

Alan0354
12-03-2009, 01:56 PM
It is $100 more though, it may be a better machine but when it costs 70% more I think it is not worth it for a machine that is going to see low useage. next year if I have a good year I plan on buying a shindaiwa 802 backpack and a new 3410 handblower.

I have the EB3410, I am not particular impressed with it. I think the spec of 399cfm and 200mph is from different tubes. I use the round tube, it is NOT 200mph!!!!

Honestly, if I were to do it again, I would not buy this one, that is the reason all the talk on this forum, I never suggested this one. It is heavier compare to the others. If I were to buy another hand held, Maruyama BL3100 would be my first choice and Stihl BG86 would be the close second.

unkownfl
12-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Let see what a walk behind and bp do lol.

Alan0354
12-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Let see what a walk behind and bp do lol.

Someone posted a video here before!!! Leaves don't just move, they looked like shooting off to the side!!!!:laugh::laugh:

One thing add to my last post on Shindaiwa EB3410: It is expensive!!! I paid $259 plus tax two years ago, and that was the cheapest price at the time. You can get a good and lighter held for under $200!!!

W.L.M.
12-03-2009, 03:09 PM
I have the EB3410, I am not particular impressed with it. I think the spec of 399cfm and 200mph is from different tubes. I use the round tube, it is NOT 200mph!!!!

Honestly, if I were to do it again, I would not buy this one, that is the reason all the talk on this forum, I never suggested this one. It is heavier compare to the others. If I were to buy another hand held, Maruyama BL3100 would be my first choice and Stihl BG86 would be the close second.

Thanks for the info alan, I worked for a big outfit 2 years ago and they had stihl bg85s and I thought they were weaker than my current husqvarna but they did have alot of time on them. At any rate I dont have a stihl dealer that is even decent around me, my dealer of choice sells shindaiwa echo and redmax so that is why I say a 3410 but I may try to shop around a bit and find a stihl dealer I can work with.

jtk47
12-03-2009, 06:49 PM
maybe someone should think of a backpack with blowers on each side. would be pretty cool and i am sure it is possible

GlynnC
12-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Okay, I'm the one that started this thread and just finished my 2nd day at this same commercial property--using both a backpack and handheld you can bet!!!

Funny thing, there is a really old cemetery on the property--dated headstones go back over 200 years and many grave markers with no writing, some are just rocks. It seems the graves were just randomly placed, however, it's possible that a lot of markers are missing. Anyway, to the funny stuff--you know how you do a lot of sidestepping and backstepping when blowing leaves, well one of the grave markers tripped me, I fell straight back on top of the backpack, and the handheld went flying into the air and back on top of me. Good thing it wasn't being filmed (at least I hope). Could have ended up on America's funniest videos.

Alan0354, you are right--the biggest advantage is the control and flexibility added with the handheld. Example--I have a hard time getting leaves to come away from a building--they just keep going down the wall. With the backpack/handheld combination, you can move them out with the handheld, then pick them up with backpack air flow.

Alan0354
12-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Okay, I'm the one that started this thread and just finished my 2nd day at this same commercial property--using both a backpack and handheld you can bet!!!

Funny thing, there is a really old cemetery on the property--dated headstones go back over 200 years and many grave markers with no writing, some are just rocks. It seems the graves were just randomly placed, however, it's possible that a lot of markers are missing. Anyway, to the funny stuff--you know how you do a lot of sidestepping and backstepping when blowing leaves, well one of the grave markers tripped me, I fell straight back on top of the backpack, and the handheld went flying into the air and back on top of me. Good thing it wasn't being filmed (at least I hope). Could have ended up on America's funniest videos.

Alan0354, you are right--the biggest advantage is the control and flexibility added with the handheld. Example--I have a hard time getting leaves to come away from a building--they just keep going down the wall. With the backpack/handheld combination, you can move them out with the handheld, then pick them up with backpack air flow.

I feel I am in cloud 9!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing::waving:

Roger
12-04-2009, 09:08 AM
I have a Stihl BG85 handheld blower that is used hard over October and November, very hard. I also have an 8hp wheeled blower. I use it on the more open areas. On rare occasion can I use them together. The terrain is just too difficult to manage the wheeled blower with one hand. Sometimes, I've worked together with somebody else using the hand blower in conjunction with the wheeled blower (moving large piles -- hand blower takes off the top, the larger blower takes the bottom). I do not have a back pack blower.

Where I have used the handblower in conjuction with something else is with my ZTR. I have a JD 717A (48" deck) and can use it in many places to "move leaves." I'm not interested in mulching them down, just moving them from one side to another (e.g. off to the woods). This means a back/forth pattern, with the discharge chute pointed in the same direction. Using the handblower pointing down at the right position in the discharge stream out of the deck, the effect is significant. Different situations require a different point of attack.

However, the other major advantage is to work the windrow around obstacles, such as trees. While moving the windrow to the trees, getting the windrow around the trees is sometimes difficult. However, having the handblower pointed off to the right will clear the leaves easily and quickly.

I just use my left hand to control the sticks, and rest the blower on the fuel tank off to the right. During a period of lull, the blower can be rested on the foot platform, between my feet.

ALC-GregH
12-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Just get one of these and be done! :D
http://vidego.multicastmedia.com/player.php?p=k26c6au2

Alan0354
12-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Just get one of these and be done! :D
http://vidego.multicastmedia.com/player.php?p=k26c6au2

Must be costing more than a car!!!:laughing::laughing:

unkownfl
12-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Could just get an air boat at least it would be fun.

Pennington Lawncare
12-04-2009, 10:24 PM

My BT 125 back pack starts great. Usually in less than 3 pulls. No priming is required usually. This might work for the handheld 125. Slide the choke to full choke and then set the locking throttle to about 1/2 to 1/3 throttle. Pull the rope a couple times and it should start and run within 3 pulls and after it's ran for a few seconds slide the choke to off. If mine has set for a few days I might have to prime it on the first yard and after that just start it the way I explained above. Let me know if that works for yours.

jtkplc
12-04-2009, 11:08 PM
I've used that technique for 80% of this season's fall clean up. I saw it on here last fall and used it on a couple of my last leaf jobs last season. I use a BR600 and BG85 which is 1171 CFM. It works awesome.

topsites
12-05-2009, 02:45 AM
Oh, I found the way to get the leaves away from the walls...
Out from inside corners, too.

Way I do it, I blow air straight at the wall itself at a slight downward angle but to where it still hits the wall above ground level.
So the air hits the wall, spreads, hits the ground, and pushes the leaves away.
Yes, have to get kind of close up to it, sort of, hard to describe exact.

The terrain is just too difficult to manage the wheeled blower with one hand.

I had to work up to it, took me 2-3 years of using the handheld and the backpack together before I had it in me to use backpack + push.
Even then it's a bear of a work load there, I also don't do it the whole time, only when the terrain is half decent.
But when I can get away with it :p
The combination puts out 3 thousand cfm's, 200 mph (that's with a 10hp BG + a br600)

TwinDooly
12-06-2009, 12:06 AM
maybe someone should think of a backpack with blowers on each side. would be pretty cool and i am sure it is possible

The TwindStorm Dooly is already created and in process of securing a Manufacturer. Possibly Little Wonder.:cool2:
http://www.lawnsite.com/vbtube_show.php?do=tube&tubeid=146#watch
http://www.lawnsite.com/vbtube_show.php?do=tube&tubeid=131%20289514#watch
http://www.lawnsite.com/vbtube_show.php?do=tube&tubeid=90%20289511#watch

hackitdown
12-06-2009, 01:29 PM
I use the walk-behind with the backpack combo all the time. I try to lift the leaves into the stream of air from the WB.