PDA

View Full Version : Slow release Nitrogen product longevity-Which is best?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
12-02-2009, 04:49 PM
OK, We all know the claims, the glossy ads in landscape magazines & the reps pushing a particular product, but-..............Which slow release Nitrogen product has lasted the longest in your experience?

Over the years I've tried SCU, PSCU, MESA, MU, UFLEXX, XCU. My experience with Mesa is limited to the end of this season, but with the others none really has stood out as hands above the rest:confused:

MESA claims long term release w/ less of a flush of growth, but having applied it in the early Fall, it was hard to tell if that is the case or not...

I used UFLEXX a few years ago and it was disasterous-The granular UFLEXX fert blend would "melt" in the humidity & heat of June, then clog up the spreader & start coming out uneven:cry:

I'm always sure there is a better product out there-but cutting through the hype is always tough.

Any experiences/suggestions?:usflag:

mdlwn1
12-02-2009, 05:08 PM
IBDU. Not sure what your using it for, but its expensive. Heavy rains will acelerate the release while its raining. I don't think there is a longer lasting synthetic out there.

quackgrass
12-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Milorganite and nutri-rich are organic forms of N that last awhile.

Dakota Peat seems to last longer than anything I've seen.

mdlwn1
12-02-2009, 05:20 PM
Milorganite and nutri-rich are organic forms of N that last awhile.

Dakota Peat seems to last longer than anything I've seen.

How long would you guestimate Milorganite under normal temps? and at what N rate?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
12-02-2009, 05:32 PM
IBDU. Not sure what your using it for, but its expensive. Heavy rains will acelerate the release while its raining. I don't think there is a longer lasting synthetic out there.

How expensive compared to others? Since IBDU is dependant on moisture instead of microbial activity-Does the N get released too quickly & cause a flush of growth if there are above average rainfall? (We had an awful wet year this year) Seems like most products work OK when weather is "average" but I'm looking for a product I can count on even when things are not "average":)

tlg
12-02-2009, 05:38 PM
It's kind of like comparing apples to apples. Different types but still an apple. Of course the companies that make all these different products will say their slow release is the best and have some study to back up their claims. At the end of the day it all boils down to environmental conditions ( weather, climate etc.. ) cultural practices ( watering, mowing etc.. ) that will determine longevity, growth rates etc... When you start treating hundreds or thousands of different lawns observing a overall response becomes even more of generalization IMO. I would expect many different results. I guess what I'm saying is if the fert your using applies well, is cost effective and your lawns look good you must be doing something right. As far what performs the best? Only you will know that answer.

mdlwn1
12-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Havent used it in almost 17 years and it was 28/bag back then. Im currently paying 34 for something similar (greens grade). IBDU will flush if there is constant HEAVY rainfall....but not like traditionally available products. Kinda hard for me to compare because I used to use it for reel mowing at less than 1.75" cutting every 4th day. A flush to me was having to double cut 1.25" instead of .5-.75

mdlwn1
12-02-2009, 05:41 PM
It's kind of like comparing apples to apples. Different types but still an apple. Of course the companies that make all these different products will say their slow release is the best and have some study to back up their claims. At the end of the day it all boils down to environmental conditions ( weather, climate etc.. ) cultural practices ( watering, mowing etc.. ) that will determine longevity, growth rates etc... When you start treating hundreds or thousands of different lawns observing a overall response becomes even more of generalization IMO. I would expect many different results. I guess what I'm saying is if the fert your using applies well, is cost effective and your lawns look good you must be doing something right. As far what performs the best? Only you will know that answer.

Actually there are quantifiable differences in different synthetic forms. The variation is quite extreme in some cases.

tlg
12-02-2009, 06:10 PM
I agree. The many different types of slow release fertilizers we have to choose from offer many different types of release rates, etc...... My point is that every lawn is different, and distinguishable differences may be hard to pinpoint . The best product out there is what the individual applicator believes gives him the best response. You can apply the most expensive, controlled release product out there to 30 different lawns in one day and still not get the same results on each lawn. There are just to many other factors that effect fertilizer response.

FdLLawnMan
12-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I have used PPSCU from JDL and UMAXX from Agrotain. My son is is a golf course superintendent has used MESA.
I have had excellent results with UMAXX in both liquid and granular form. I can truthfully say that it has lasted a minimum of 12 weeks at a 1 lb/k rate. I have never applied it in extremely hot & humid weather but I found that it lasts so long that I can avoid putting it down in the middle of summer. I also have stored it for over a year and it came out of the bag with no problem.
My son loves MESA. He only applied it twice to fairways last year and they stayed green all year. He will be using it again this year due to the results he has had.
The PPSCU from JDL has lasted anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks depending on the amount of slow release. The amount of slow release I use varied from 50 to 100%.
I am in heavy clay/loam type soils in Wisconsin with less than 5% of my lawns being irrigated.

mdlwn1
12-02-2009, 07:19 PM
I have used PPSCU from JDL and UMAXX from Agrotain. My son is is a golf course superintendent has used MESA.
I have had excellent results with UMAXX in both liquid and granular form. I can truthfully say that it has lasted a minimum of 12 weeks at a 1 lb/k rate. I have never applied it in extremely hot & humid weather but I found that it lasts so long that I can avoid putting it down in the middle of summer. I also have stored it for over a year and it came out of the bag with no problem.
My son loves MESA. He only applied it twice to fairways last year and they stayed green all year. He will be using it again this year due to the results he has had.
The PPSCU from JDL has lasted anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks depending on the amount of slow release. The amount of slow release I use varied from 50 to 100%.
I am in heavy clay/loam type soils in Wisconsin with less than 5% of my lawns being irrigated.

Soil fertility and cultural practices are huge variables. To say "it" lasted x weeks does not help the OP unless you are directly comparing it to another product applied under the same conditions on the same turf site. Heck I can "make" a 1/4 urea app last 2.5 months if we get enough natural rainfall.

CHARLES CUE
12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
If your only using something with 25 -30 % slow release fert it not going to last very long most of the fert is quick release but if your doing a bunch of apps thats what you want
are you wanting to do fewer apps? if your doing a bunch of apps why worry about which is the best if your going back almost every month.

Hey mike what % of MESA fert did your son use every thing i have seen so far is 100% or only about 30% just wondering

Charles Cue

FdLLawnMan
12-02-2009, 11:12 PM
It was 30-0-0 Mesa. Soil tests in our area indicate adequate P & K.

Ric
12-03-2009, 02:02 PM
To my knowledge Urea Formaldehyde also called UM or Urea Methanal was the first Slow release and still holds the record for the slowest release rate. Any blend with UM is going to give Longevity.

FdLLawnMan
12-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Soil fertility and cultural practices are huge variables. To say "it" lasted x weeks does not help the OP unless you are directly comparing it to another product applied under the same conditions on the same turf site. Heck I can "make" a 1/4 urea app last 2.5 months if we get enough natural rainfall.

Their is no way 1/4 lb of urea per k will last 2.5 months. Straight urea will last at most 5 weeks with any kind of rainfall.

phasthound
12-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm biased.

Nutrients PLUS 16-2-3 has 5 different N sources (Urea, SCU, Ammonium Sulfate, Composted Poultry Manure, Biosolids) that evenly releases N over a 12 week period. Quick green up from some urea, steady green without flush growth.

There is more to caring for healthy turf than N. Adding organic matter improves drought tolerance, reduces disease and insect problems.

lawn order
12-04-2009, 06:42 AM
if your looking for longevity go with poly coated urea. Harrells sells it and has the distribution rights to it. the product is made by purcell. there was a golf course in NH that ferted once a year w/ a 21-2-20 with a 98%

mdlwn1
12-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Their is no way 1/4 lb of urea per k will last 2.5 months. Straight urea will last at most 5 weeks with any kind of rainfall.

I wish lco's were required to bet large amounts of money on the validity of their statements on this forum. Understand that my comment is likely WAY above your understanding of turfgrass before you make a comment like that.