PDA

View Full Version : Gift Certificate

greenchoppers
12-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Hello Forum Members,

I was pondering over the thought of offering gift certificates for this holiday season. For those of you who have already done this, may I please get your thoughts, suggestions, recommendations etc?

I searched the forum for this topic and did not really find a hole lot of pertinent information.

Thanks.

lawnsaspire
12-02-2009, 11:42 PM
I bought all of my new customers gift certificates to Panera Bread and they were very grateful. Just a way to tell them I really want you back next year.
Is this what you mean?

grassman177
12-03-2009, 12:35 AM
i think he means offering them for his business for people to buy as gifts

greenchoppers
12-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Sorry. I meant to say I was thinking of offering gift certificates to my customers that they can buy as Christmas gifts and give them to their family/friends.

cutbetterthanyou
12-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I did 5 gift certificates this summer for one of my moms friends, she thought it would be nice for her father's b-day. The only problem i saw was he waited till it got HOT in july and august to use them. He also only used one every 2 weeks, and he cut the grass on the weeks i didn't. He did NO trimming on his weeks. He also left balls of dead grass in the yard for me to deal with. Netheir of which he did prior to useing the certificates. I am not saing i wouldn't do it again, but next time the are going to be more detailed.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
12-04-2009, 05:28 AM
Yes, I offer them. I look at it as a way to spread word of mouth advertising, since usually customers buy them for friends/family. I would just say be sure the certificate is for an actual dollar amount and not for "two lawn mowings" or something like that, you know?? I also use gift certs to donate to local good causes....like school fund raising auctions for school trips and stuff. Gets you a good image in the community. Be creative.

BearWise Landscapers
12-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I think you would have to give your clients a reason to purchase the gift certificates from your business. You see this in the restaurant industry a lot. You can allow them to purchase a gift certificate for 25% to 50% off. They can buy a 100 dollar gift certificate from your business for 75 dollars or something like that. I think that will give your customers an incentive to purchase them as a gift.

Roger
12-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Remember the recipient of the certificate will redeem it for their scope of work. You won't have much choice but to do the work if somebody claims a redemption.

There are jobs that I will walk away because it doesn't fit with my business model, equipment, or capability. In some cases, I just didn't want to deal with the tough terrain. These are easy to walk, but if somebody gives you a certificate to redeem, you have no choice in the matter. Maybe this isn't a problem in your area, or what work you are willing to take. For me, I would never do it for this reason.