PDA

View Full Version : Might go with a V8 Truck, need help

Rarebreedx5
12-02-2009, 11:52 PM
I wanted to go with a diesel and I still might go that route. It just seems that diesels are still pretty high on price for a nice truck. I was looking at the new V8 models from ford and dodge. It seems that you can get a nice new truck for the money. My problem is that if I take a loan out it has to be 2004 or newer so the diesels are pretty high. My price range is 15-16k so let me know what you think about the ford and dodge V8 models. Thanks guys

dave,:confused:

Clean N Green
12-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Both the 5.4 ford and the 5.7 dodge are good engines i think u would be happy with either choice. What r u planning on doing with the truck?

Rarebreedx5
12-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Im just going to be pulling a 6 by 12 enclosed trailer for landscaping and then just my every day driver as well.

Clean N Green
12-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Then you will be fine with a v8 just keep up on your maintenance and run synthetic oil... I would go with the ford just because I like the f-150 a little better then the ram but they are both good trucks

Rarebreedx5
12-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks buddy,

Hanau
12-03-2009, 02:11 AM
It sounds crazy but I actually like my 460 Ford better than my Duramax. The 460 feels like it has more power, it just doesn't quit.

Nothing wrong with a gas engine.

buttaluv
12-03-2009, 08:22 AM
IMO unless your pulling around 18,000 lbs on a regular basis, why would you spend the money on a diesel, unless you just have the money to burn...people are buying these things because it's the IN-Thing, and that's why the fuel is higher now, all the emission crap, etc. etc....but you know what they say about opinions!!!

JPsDuramax
12-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Any of the big three produce a nice V8 pick up. You might be able to find a nice fully loaded truck with the gas engine for the price range your looking at. When I bought my diesel last year, the comparable gas trucks were half the cost! I would recommend a 3/4 ton so you have room to grow your business. The 1/2 tons are little overpriced right now because people are in over their heads on them, but it may fit your needs. Best of luck in your search.

doubleedge
12-03-2009, 07:23 PM
The dodge v8 has quite a bit more power than the ford v8; if you are planning on pulling large loads, the dodge will be faster.

360ci
12-03-2009, 10:31 PM
faster is in the gearing. Towing and work don't mean you need a faster truck. Less HP generally means it'll last longer, and be more durable. It's true for the earlier diesel engines of ten years ago compared to the current ones. For gas engines, it still lies true. A truck that's geared properly will last just as long as the next. You won't need anything higher than 3.73 gears for a small enclosed trailer, so if you want to go shorter it becomes more of a personal preference. I decided on my Durango only because I don't plow, I tow heavily, and my problem was tongue weight. I can have upwards of 600lbs before the thing shows much squat, I can have a throaty 360ci V8, and I can park it anywhere, even underground! The downside, is that the wife can drive it too.

Rarebreedx5
12-04-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the info guys, really appericate it :cool2:

johnnybravo8802
12-04-2009, 09:23 PM
It sounds crazy but I actually like my 460 Ford better than my Duramax. The 460 feels like it has more power, it just doesn't quit.

Nothing wrong with a gas engine.
I'm crossed up on the V-8 versus the diesel debate. I drove an F550 with a V-10 a couple of days ago and wasn't blown away with the power. The diesels I've driven are much more responsive and will out pull and out run the V-10 I drove anyday. However, every dealer I speak with says the V-10 is the way to go because of cost. I don't know.:confused: My big concern is fuel consumption.

360ci
12-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm crossed up on the V-8 versus the diesel debate. I drove an F550 with a V-10 a couple of days ago and wasn't blown away with the power. The diesels I've driven are much more responsive and will out pull and out run the V-10 I drove anyday. However, every dealer I speak with says the V-10 is the way to go because of cost. I don't know.:confused: My big concern is fuel consumption.

Sure that was an F550? Around here 450 and 550 trucks come only with the diesel. It could be a Canadian thing(?).

johnnybravo8802
12-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Sure that was an F550? Around here 450 and 550 trucks come only with the diesel. It could be a Canadian thing(?).
No, it's pretty common around here, although the diesel is more popular. I once saw a Hemi in a 3500 but that's the only one I've seen-not enough engine in my book for a one ton. Does the V-10 stop with the F250 in Canada?

Hanau
12-04-2009, 09:52 PM

I'm assuming it was an automatic. Drive a stick, even better hunt down a mid 90's 460 Ford wth a 5 speed. Then you'll see what a gas engine is capable of.

johnnybravo8802
12-04-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm assuming it was an automatic. Drive a stick, even better hunt down a mid 90's 460 Ford wth a 5 speed. Then you'll see what a gas engine is capable of.
Yea, it was an automatic but so were the diesels. I don't want any part of a stick. I drove tractor trailers for a living in the mid 90's and my shifting days are over. Of all the engines I drove, I liked the duramax the best-it seemed to be the smoothest and fastest-it was an 08' 3500 flatbed dump.

Hanau
12-04-2009, 10:25 PM
I have 3 Duramaxes, they're decent trucks. I've owned a bunch of them and drove one to death. Repairs will drain your bank account, but they'll go a long time.

360ci
12-04-2009, 10:35 PM
The V10 can be had in F350's. I believe you can get them in every trim level still, but don't quote me on it. For a few months last year (online), you could only build a crew cab long box dually with the diesel, but SRW you could get with the V10. Even with 4.88 gears in say an F550 with the V10, I'd still rather have the diesel. The additional cost in that case would be WORTH WHILE. In a F250, a gas engine is plenty. Dodge sells the 3500 here with the HEMI, but it's derated from the 2500 series for greater dependability (less HP = more durable). Same was the case for the GMC Topkick series and the 8.1L V8. You could get it in ratings from 175hp to 300 depending on the application/truck configuration.

Automatics are becoming more common place. I know I'd prefer a manual for driving occasionally, but constantly driving around town, the automatic is the one to get. Mainly because after hours of working on lawns and other projects, the last thing I want to do is shift my own gears. Dodge is the only one that offers a manual transmission in the light duty market anyway. If I had a choice between say, a 6 speed manual vs a 4 speed auto, I'd take the manual. With today's modern 6 speed autos, manufacturers put more money into better development of automatics than manual transmissions as that's where the demand is. As far as class 8 trucks, I'll gladly take a 13 speed over ANY HEAVY duty automatic anyday. I have to admit though, the ZF-12 speed in Prevost coaches is a SWEET unit and can be programmed to NOT upshift on it's own to better and traverse hills.

I worked for a company that had a delivery van - a 1998 Savanna 3500 with the 6.5 diesel. It was still running (body was SHOT), but last I saw it had 967,000kms on it or roughly 600K with no major engine problems, but it was on it's third transmission.

Hanau
12-04-2009, 10:56 PM
I prefer a manual that I can shift clutchless. In 1998 or so Ford starting adding an interlock that prevents floating the gears. What an annoyance to have to use the clutch to upshift or downshift. Much better to just use it to get going from a stop.

topsites
12-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Concerning fuel consumption, the cost of the diesel itself is so much higher
that it's not going to make up for the savings in that fuel department.

And diesel might at times be much cheaper than gas, other times thou it's way higher, granted they do get better mileage.

faster is in the gearing. Towing and work don't mean you need a faster truck. Less HP generally means it'll last longer, and be more durable. It's true for the earlier diesel engines of ten years ago compared to the current ones. For gas engines, it still lies true. A truck that's geared properly will last just as long as the next. You won't need anything higher than 3.73 gears for a small enclosed trailer, so if you want to go shorter it becomes more of a personal preference. I decided on my Durango only because I don't plow, I tow heavily, and my problem was tongue weight. I can have upwards of 600lbs before the thing shows much squat, I can have a throaty 360ci V8, and I can park it anywhere, even underground! The downside, is that the wife can drive it too.

I like the way you think, and if I had things my way my D-2500 would have a 318cid under the hood,
those big engines all they do is suck up fuel and create wear and tear with all that torque twisting up in there.

You can't go but so dang fast towing anyhow, the faster that POS
accelerates the harder you gotta stomp the brakes later.

punt66
12-05-2009, 02:39 PM

And diesel might at times be much cheaper than gas, other times thou it's way higher, granted they do get better mileage.

I like the way you think, and if I had things my way my D-2500 would have a 318cid under the hood,
those big engines all they do is suck up fuel and create wear and tear with all that torque twisting up in there.

hahahahahahahhah

doubleedge
12-05-2009, 02:46 PM

A smaller engine would be less durable than a bigger engine that has been tuned down. Since the small engine would work harder, it probably wouldn't get very good fuel economy.

I don't see the correlation between acceleration and braking; usually braking is required after you have already accelerated to the speed limit. Conversely, greater acceleration can help with merging into traffic.

Valk
12-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Justifying acceleration is a worthy lifelong pursuit! :laugh:

Hope I get to go 0-330mph in 5.5 sec someday...:rolleyes:

jbturf
12-05-2009, 06:21 PM
suspension, gearing, and tranny
are likely more important considerations

GravelyNut
12-06-2009, 02:49 AM
With the cost of the engine to start with, a Diesel at current fuel costs locally won't pay for itself till it gets near the 250K mark. Find a GM 8.1/Ally in a 3500 with 4.10 gears and you'll have plenty of power. And the 8.1 is rated the same or higher load and same 250K miles before internal failure as a DM.