PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Control DD Initial Impression

buckhtr77
12-03-2009, 04:27 PM
My wife and I are currently building a house on 3 acres. The grass isn't even planted yet, we'll get to that in the spring of 2010. My only experience with a commercial mower was using my Father's 31 HP Diesel powered Kubota. I don't have a need for such a mower and considered walk behinds to save some money. There are several high visibility lawns in the area that are cut with Ferris walk behinds. My co-worker's brother own a LCO and uses a 36 inch Ferris walk behind as his primary mower of choice. Cut quality was priority #1 and price was priority #2. We purchased a Ferris Comfort Control DD 25 HP Kawasaki and 52 inch cut. I tip the scales at around 250 and the 25 wasn't that much more money so I opted for more HP. The salesman said I'd put around 50 hours a year on it when a lot of LCO put 50 hours a week on one. Yes, it's a lot of $ for home use but I shouldn't need another one any time soon. I also purchased a Bull Rider and hour meter, both of which I put on w/out a hitch.

I've only put roughly 3 hours on it cutting my current yard which is about .25 acres. I've spent most of that time going over leaves chopping them up. Fit and finish of the mower is really darn nice. I can't imagine it being built any more heavy duty than it is. Things on the mower appear to be really easy to get at. One has to massage the Kawasaki when it first starts then it's down to strictly business after that. Though the grass isn't doing a lot of growing here I've managed to get quite a good look to my yard. I'd been using a Lawn Boy 21 inch push mower which did a heckuva job as well. After some tutelage on how to stripe the grass I've managed to get some good stripes in the back yard. Nope, no pics. This thing is fast. Never using a walk behind before it took me about 1.5 hours to get comfortable with it. I can't say I'm really comfortable but it's getting much easier. The controls on the handles are very nice. I was pleasantly surprised at the handling of the mower. Overall I'm very happy up to this point and I really look forward to many years of using this mower. I can't wait to get the grass strong at the new home and put a quality cut on it.

grassman177
12-03-2009, 06:13 PM
well alrighty then, a happy customer folks!!! glad you like it, i demoed one a few eyars back and hated the drive system as i was so used to the old style pistol grips. everything i=else was great though as you have said

topsites
12-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Not to scare you but word of advice, keep your speed way down in all areas
except where it's wide open, them mowers can and will bite back.

Because it ain't like the 21" where if you smack the heat pump it jostles it a little,
the Wb about knock that thing off its foundation, but the worst of it is the
sudden stop while your body is still in motion.
The good news is they're still not quite powerful and heavy enough to kill an operator,
but they do hurt as they have just enough to really knock your senses around lol

So careful around the house, cars and trees, too, especially root systems, rocks, landscaping, most any obstacle take it slow.

Also don't forget the maintenance!
They require a bit more than your 21", about every 8 hours or so there's something needs doing,
check your owner's manual for this but take care of it and it takes care of you.

Now then, enjoy it.

chathamvahere
12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
:usflag:

Ferris is a fine mower, enjoy it!!! It should give you many years os service, and a beautiful cut!!!

f50lvr2
12-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Not to scare you but word of advice, keep your speed way down in all areas
except where it's wide open, them mowers can and will bite back.

Because it ain't like the 21" where if you smack the heat pump it jostles it a little,
the Wb about knock that thing off its foundation, but the worst of it is the
sudden stop while your body is still in motion.
The good news is they're still not quite powerful and heavy enough to kill an operator,
but they do hurt as they have just enough to really knock your senses around lol

So careful around the house, cars and trees, too, especially root systems, rocks, landscaping, most any obstacle take it slow.

You're so right, take it easy. I thought I lost my ***** once when coming to an unexpected and very abrupt stop while riding behind then swiftly into my lesco wb...stupid tree stump hiding in the grass.

Despite the dangers, I still prefer using wb's to z's for my residential accounts.