PDA

View Full Version : Pre emergent ideas

SWEET-T
12-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Here's the deal...I only fert fescues in the fall (no pre or post) and apply pre emergent and broadleaf control in round 1. I've got a few customers that didn't aerate/overseed and their lawn is solid henbit and with no new grass you can tell . I'm gonna apply a pre emergent on those few this week now since they didn't and won't overseed but not sure which to go with since its not my normal practice. Don't think simazine is labled for fescue so which else would you guys use?

RAlmaroad
12-03-2009, 05:30 PM
To start with--Simazine IS NOT a pre-em--yes,it has a limited time use as a pre-em provided it is applied when the seeds are sprouting that hair root. To use it as a pre-em will dis-appoint. It is a herbicide and will kill fescue at the drop of a hat. I use it in TN on fence rows to clear them out during the fall where mowing hay fields can't.
You need to use barricade (Stonewall at Lesco now John Deere). Barricade is the lesser root pruner between Dimension or Barricade. Most of the time it is used in conjunction with a fertilize, but is available without fertilize.
Almost any good three-way in a liquid form will knock out that hen-bit.

RigglePLC
12-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Why a pre-emergent? It won't touch the henbit. Northerner here. Cold here, but I would expect you to apply your pre-emergent when temps hit about 65 in spring. I have heard that henbit is not easy to control, but it does not tolerate short mowing. In any case it is a winter annual--it disappears when temps get warm in spring.

Smallaxe
12-04-2009, 08:26 AM
If they don't want the aeration, which fescue doesn't usually need, why not talk them into over seeding anyways?

garydale
12-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Why a pre-emergent? It won't touch the henbit. Northerner here. Cold here, but I would expect you to apply your pre-emergent when temps hit about 65 in spring. I have heard that henbit is not easy to control, but it does not tolerate short mowing. In any case it is a winter annual--it disappears when temps get warm in spring.

Pre-emergent herb. in early fall will stop winter annuals like henbit.
Fall broadleaf control works best in fall.

Volman
12-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Simizine will work good as a pre. I've used it the last 3 years as my sole fall pre and it has done a good job, even on henbit. Just on warm season grasses though

ted putnam
12-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Simizine will work good as a pre. I've used it the last 3 years as my sole fall pre and it has done a good job, even on henbit. Just on warm season grasses though

Same here! Works great at the high rate...

If it were me, I wouldn't use anything that will provide pre-emergent control for to long because who knows, they may decide they want to do some seeding in the Spring. It's not that Simazine (will) kill Fescue, it's that it (can) kill it or at least damage it. That has been my experience anyway. I have sprayed it on Fescue and seen no ill effects at the low rate stated on the label even though it is not labeled for Fescue. In my opinion, Simazine would be the perfect choice. Pendi, prodiamine and dithiopyr are going to be giving you pre-emergent control into Late Spring at this point and could cause problems for any potential seeding to be done later. Be sure to add a 3-way type broadleaf control to it to help take out the henbit that has already emerged.

SWEET-T
12-07-2009, 05:17 PM
I usually don't do anything to my fescues except fert, but now that he didn't seed its looking bad. The henbit has got to go and if he chooses to seed later that's on him as we've discussed the matter. I've got some prodiamine in the shop to go with some broadleaf control so that'll handle it. Thanks for the suggestions as my normal fall pre-m is only simazine.