PDA

View Full Version : Pre emergents liquid vs granular

drobin
12-03-2009, 05:24 PM
I was talking to an experiened applicator who was saying that he gets way better results spraying pre emergents than granular. has this been anyone elses experience?

RigglePLC
12-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Dave,
Some people like liquid, (but the yellow types can stain). Dimension, as a liquid, can be costly and smelly. I prefer granular. Equipment to apply is low in cost and application speed is a little faster. You don't have to worry about the spray hose freezing during your first week in spring.

Green Pastures
12-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Liquid provides instant protection, granular is not effective till it is watered in.

I've been getting WAY better results since I switched to spraying.

ted putnam
12-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Everything i have ever been taught as far as weed control apps go is that ...When applied correctly, you will get a much more even application with a liquid app vs. a dry/granular app. This goes for post emergent apps as well as pre-emergent apps. I have gone back and forth with a couple of folks on here over this exact subject. I will not debate it again. I have been doing this 20 yrs and have had numerous reputable Turfgrass "experts' with all kinds of studies,data,etc.. to back them up tell me this in training/recertification classes I have attended. I'm pretty sure they know what they're talking about. Cost, at least in this area has been a factor in this decision also. I have used dry pre's in the past to "experiment" with good results( and still do occasionally) but my experience has been limited. With the amount of weed pressure I have here, I have not been willing to "bet the farm" on the use of dry pre's. I am presently looking into applying liquid pre's through ride on equipment only to make myself more efficient than applying with a hose & gun. JMO

hughmcjr
12-05-2009, 07:52 AM
I agree with Ted.

I use liquid Dimension 2EW and the new formula has a much lower odor. A little goes a long way @.75oz/1000sq ft. It is expensive about 160.00 a half gallon.

lawnrx
12-05-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm going to try to go to granular (again) this year. did it in the past with poor results. I think its because my rate was not high enough. Did liquid apps every year and always had great results. you can apply more in the areas where you know you had problems last year easily. And the cost is so cheap i don't mind giving my lawns a little more attention. But now for this next year, i need to keep moving (riding) to keep up. I'm hoping 2010 gives me great results.

bx24
12-05-2009, 03:28 PM
I agree with Ted.

I use liquid Dimension 2EW and the new formula has a much lower odor. A little goes a long way @.75oz/1000sq ft. It is expensive about 160.00 a half gallon.

I still use both Pre-M 3.3 and Dim2EW..Both have pros / cons. But 160 per half gall seems high..Retail I assume.

I still think Dim EC did not smell at all compared to Pred.

grass4gas
12-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Liquid provides instant protection, granular is not effective till it is watered in.
I've been getting WAY better results since I switched to spraying.

IMO, If you're doing split apps, then it is a mute point.

Granular is easier by far, and when applied correctly, is just as good as liquid. Most problems occur when under applied, or areas are missed. Turf along a street curb is the most problematic, only because of trying to keep it out of the street. The deflector does help. On sidewalks and driveways, I leave the deflector up. When done, I blow off all hard surfaces. Never had a problem with CG along the edges.

The problems I had this year was from all the rain. I did more post control this year than ever before.

Jack

JWTurfguy
12-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Dave,

Especially if your properties have considerable amounts of shade, spraying Dimension 2EW or Pendulum Aquacap on the hot spots makes a lot more sense than a blanket application of the entire property with a granular preemergent. Look up the label for Dimension 2EW on Google and you'll see that it's also significantly cheaper to apply (if memory serves me right, expect to pay something around 600 bucks for a 2.5 gal jug?).

Since you don't operate in Westchester County, you don't need to worry about the Neighbor-Notification Law that pertains to spray apps, so that's a big plus (unless your county has a similar law, but I don't think that's the case).

drobin
12-08-2009, 08:36 PM
that sounds like good advice shane, my granular results were not good at all but we did have a lot of rain- thanks

greenskeeper44
12-09-2009, 02:06 PM
i do split apps of dimension first in the early spring as a granular mixed with fertiilzer then in late spring i do a liquid dimension mixed with broadleaf weed control. Last year we used a barricade 1 app granular and had very poor results. This year we had absolutely no breakthrough and it was one of the wettest years i can remember so i will stick to the split app. Liquid probably works better if your going to only do a single app. But it makes since for us to use both in a split application form.

mdlwn1
12-09-2009, 04:26 PM
i do split apps of dimension first in the early spring as a granular mixed with fertiilzer then in late spring i do a liquid dimension mixed with broadleaf weed control. Last year we used a barricade 1 app granular and had very poor results. This year we had absolutely no breakthrough and it was one of the wettest years i can remember so i will stick to the split app. Liquid probably works better if your going to only do a single app. But it makes since for us to use both in a split application form.

Your missing something. Barricade will last MUCH longer than Dimension. If your results were poor...it was IMPROPER APPLICATION. Maybe too light...maybe too late...dunno. No if's ands or buts. Barricade can even be done so early that the grass is practically dormant. Dimension would not last 1/2 as long.

greenskeeper44
12-09-2009, 05:57 PM
maybe improper application on a few but who knows. i credit it to the split application instead of single app. The breakthrough was in the end of july to early august when the barricade had broken down we had hot and humid conditions (faster microbial breakdown). where this year there was none at all even towards the end of the summer season. i know about proper timing as well and i know i was within the window for our area. I know people who love barricade and have great results. We had always used dimension at Valhalla where i worked before lawncare with the split apps and loved it. When i started in lawns tried the single ap barricade because of the cost and it didnt work out for whatever reason. so went back to what i knew worked and also i hate the yellow everywhere.

lilmarvin4064
12-09-2009, 09:27 PM
I would think the best option, although most expensive would be full rate prodiamine + low-mid rate dithopyr on the 1st app (liquid of course). 2nd app would be medium rate dithiopyr granular or liquid. This should cover all your bases. From all the university studies I've read, there isn't a huge difference efficacy-wise when considering granular vs. liquid, but there are differences. Liquid will almost always be less expensive (material cost). Prodiamine powder is cheap, but you need good agitation since it has low solubility. Prodiamine granular can be problematic when you are using a high SGN and low rates. This stuff does not "move" on the ground. The biggest problem with liquid Dimension is it's volatility. You either need to use high volumes of water, or irrigate within 2-3 days or accept losing lots of it to the air in higher temps (volatilization)! In worst case senarios, i've read studies where granular dimension is more effective than the liquid since most of the AI is sitting on the soil surface (shaded) rather than sitting on the grass blades, volatilizing.

But I believe liquid is ideal when considering off-target applications; commercial sites (islands and strips) where you can keep "clean-up" to a minimum; shoot it with the hose. No need for deflectors or blowers and having to load/unload a spreader.

ant
09-04-2011, 01:25 PM
well here is why i doint do liquid.. i start doing 2 split apps or granular with fert ,one in march and the second in april.. if i did liquid it would probaly get mowed off at the spring clean ups or the first mowing.. none of my clients have there sprinklers on at that time of the year.. i would love to go liquid.. no clean up..

vencops
09-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm still new at this. But, wouldn't the caveat be whether or not your client had irrigation? I can put down granular on an irrigated client's yard and water it in at my will.

bamaturf
09-05-2011, 11:02 AM
been using granular with good results,i usually order 1/2 pre m 1/2 dimension
to keep costs down but apply a little heavy, a bag for 10k . for some new accts
this season with strips, islands etc i,m gonna spray liquid from my z-spray.
my plan is to use the hose reel for edges and small cut up areas. and get some
1 gal spray tips to spray thru the z-spray for the open areas

humble1
09-08-2011, 07:49 AM
I will go out next spring with barricade, I will be spraying the edges with liquid crabgrass control on second round and fert and grub round 2. I feel the liquid gives a 100 blanket where when you put prills down not all 100 percent of area is covered.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
09-08-2011, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=humble1;4154160]I will go out next spring with barricade, I will be spraying the edges with liquid crabgrass control on second round and fert and grub round 2. I feel the liquid gives a 100 blanket where when you put prills down not all 100 percent of area is covered.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOT

Are you saying your doing a blanket barricade on round one then "hot spot" perimeter spray on rd 2?
Posted via Mobile Device

humble1
09-10-2011, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=humble1;4154160]I will go out next spring with barricade, I will be spraying the edges with liquid crabgrass control on second round and fert and grub round 2. I feel the liquid gives a 100 blanket where when you put prills down not all 100 percent of area is covered.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOT

Are you saying your doing a blanket barricade on round one then "hot spot" perimeter spray on rd 2?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes this next season, I just think liquid gets better results on the road and driveway edge.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
09-10-2011, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=fl-landscapes;4154167]
Yes this next season, I just think liquid gets better results on the road and driveway edge.
Posted via Mobile Device

With your z or skid?
Posted via Mobile Device

humble1
09-11-2011, 10:30 AM
2nd tank on Z
Posted via Mobile Device

bx24
09-11-2011, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=fl-landscapes;4154167]
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. easy to control around edges etc...I have noticed that I need to apply 1 to 2 weeks before normal apply to control. I have Drive but I do not want to go back re-apply if I do the above.

Still do split apps using Pre-M and DimEC/2EC.