PDA

View Full Version : $ecr8ts, tricks, strategy, advice tips(making more $ by working smart not hard)

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 08:24 PM
We all operate not fully knowing if our ways are best ways, I drive by competitors and off the bat I can see other companies weaknesses and strenths. I tried to network who knows how many times with other LCO's , but only few are open minded and understand there is more bissiness that we can handle ,even if we adopt other LCO'S strategies. I wonder all the time how does Vendor choose over 10 bids right contractor, we must remember not all Clients choose over bottom line. Some get motivated or inspired over sales pitch or something Landscaper pointed out that they have been looking for for years. How can 3 people mow 1 acre with same machine and same speed , but only one can beat other two by half time and yet have best quality. How can One trim , edge , manicure lawn with trimmer in 5 minutes and it will take other 25 minutes, where are the shortcuts, Who has designed home made blades that work better then Gators. Which bagging sistem bags more, makes less mess and costs a fraction of what dealers provide. I have thousands of questions and simply interest how DO YOU DO IT. Now this Post is not for arrogant, selfish ( me, me , me type) , but LCO's that figured it out on their own, because no one would teach them, not they want to pass on olipic torch of knoweledge to other with out expecting anything in return.
How can I LCO make 100.000 of 40 lawn accounts and others make only 25.000 ( pretending accounts are similar size and dificulty)
We are all victims of daily Marketing, Advertizing on Tv, Adds, and we wonder how we got sucked in? Well my question is how can you manipulate system that we are all in, whith out loosing integrity, honesty, and craftsmenship yet making bucks with less sweat, less bleeding and shorter hours?

santafe
12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
your thought that there is more business than we can handle, I don't think that is true anymore. I live in a town where i would say the number of people trying to make money mowing a yard almost doubled in the last two years.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Where I live In a day I must see about 12-30 trucks anything from pinto pulling a home made trailer to commercial isuzus. I believe in any business there is ducks and eagles. Now the difference is once that fall in khaos and follow eash other and once the lead , thrive , enjoy no mater what competition is. To be honest with you if my bisiness was easy, I would do something else. I love the challenge , besides figuring out a better way to be sicsesfull, I enjoy every day bringing in own challenges. I had days I only made 200.00 per crew I had days I made 3000.00 now what I did different to have such different results is what I try to figure out everyday.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I signed on on this site day ago, now I start to see that most of people here are tire kickers that just sign on to pass their boring day or night up. I feel like most just want to be told what to do and how to do it , but very fiew are willing to share. 80/20 rule actually in this bisiness my opinion it is 95/5 rule 5 % make it happen and 95% ask what happends that's why this world will never be equal and there will never be one class of people some work barely to buy a case of beer and others donate them selves to unconditionaly, now I am comfirmed why rich and sussesfull dont share anything is because no one shared anything with them, everything is nagative, and depressing, only portion of professionals really know and understand that charging less then 45.00 per men, per hour is suicide. I read posts after post how guys charge 30.00 per men per hour , why , WHY, WWHHYY. I'd rather sell cellphones in the mall I would make more then that. Bring nothing to work, take nothing home , just your skill and tallent. I bet if you were to ask 80% of guys here what their true overhead with out employees it to the penny they would not know. Yet we all wake up each morning and thing we are making money.

zturncutter
12-03-2009, 09:50 PM
One trick I use when putting together a proposal using my Quickbooks program or posting on Lawnsite is to click on the spell check button before I complete the document.

greenScape09
12-03-2009, 10:02 PM
I signed on on this site day ago, now I start to see that most of people here are tire kickers that just sign on to pass their boring day or night up. I feel like most just want to be told what to do and how to do it , but very view are willing to share. 80/20 rule actually in this business my opinion it is 95/5 rule 5 % make it happen and 95% ask what happends that's why this world will never be equal and there will never be one class of people some work barely to buy a case of beer and others donate them selves to unconditionaly, now I am comfirmed why rich and sussesfull dont share anything is because no one shared anything with them, everything is nagative, and depressing, only portion of professionals really know and understand that charging less then 45.00 per men, per hour is suicide. I read posts after post how guys charge 30.00 per men per hour , why , WHY, WWHHYY. I'd rather sell cellphones in the mall I would make more then that. Bring nothing to work, take nothing home , just your skill and tallent. I bet if you were to ask 80% of guys here what their true overhead with out employees it to the penny they would not know. Yet we all wake up each morning and thing we are making money.
i see your point of view and respect it, those companys only charging 30.00 per man hr are also the ones going in and out of business, they are also hurting this industry, not only are they doing fly by night work, but they are bring the price of services down, so now everyone else must lower theres just to stay afloat.. its cat chase mouse game... now where our view points may differ is i think a new company has to come in and do work for cheap until they make a name for themselves, such as myself, i charge ( give or take,depending on the customer) about 40.00 per man hr, but i also raise prices yearly...

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Sorry about spell check, after 6 beers and first time posting forums, and to be honest with you, I didn't't really care for your approval, people that care to see through and between the misspelling are not someone you know, to take the time to respond to my misspelled nonsense and type more nonsense shows yours true intention here, at least I am not kicking tires I try to achieve something with this. English is my 4th language , sorry I didn't't try hard enough to please your approval. Merry Christmas.

zturncutter
12-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Sorry about spell check, after 6 beers and first time posting forums, and to be honest with you, I didn't't really care for your approval, people that care to see through and between the misspelling are not someone you know, to take the time to respond to my misspelled nonsense and type more nonsense shows yours true intention here, at least I am not kicking tires I try to achieve something with this. English is my 4th language , sorry I didn't't try hard enough to please your approval. Merry Christmas.

Sorry, I am not looking for your approval, I am posting a sincere answer to your questions. If you want to charge top dollar for your services you need to appear as professional as possible, one way to do that is to use the spell check. Merry Christmas to you.

XLS
12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
i must hit on this . a company can very much so charge less then $40 per hour per person . most successfull LCO's will agree it we chose not to .
its the smart opperators who come to find ways to offer lower rates and opperate more effecintlly to offset the $$$$ see i can tell a lady ill send a guy out to mow her lawn for $35.00 per hour and if it takes him 2 or 3 hours to complete it then he hasnt lost the company any money ,it is just he hasnt added much value to the company if the same guy cuts 3 out there and another man cuts 1 block over the same size lawns for 40.00
all he has done is made more profit .when time comes and a new unit is brough in and 2 guys cut them all in one day it is now prductivly creating a higher per hour rate of 120-220 per hour it is about qulity production .

we often bid a larger lawn at say $38.00 per hour with a 48" walker then turn around and mow it with a 60"z and knock it out in less then half the time bringing the per hour rate it a round 70.00 per on a one man crew

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 10:20 PM
i see your point of view and respect it, those companys only charging 30.00 per man hr are also the ones going in and out of business, they are also hurting this industry, not only are they doing fly by night work, but they are bring the price of services down, so now everyone else must lower theres just to stay afloat.. its cat chase mouse game... now where our view points may differ is i think a new company has to come in and do work for cheap until they make a name for themselves, such as myself, i charge ( give or take,depending on the customer) about 40.00 per man hr, but i also raise prices yearly...

I have learned that I will never go below my minimum no matter what last contractor did work for . I have hundreds if not thousands where my salesmanship pruve all odds wrong and I picked up account for 125 a week when someone did it for 75.00 right before me. There was a reason why they were not happy. Sorry anyone who mows 2-3 acres of turf to pickiest client for 75 is an idiot. To be honest with you those are the guys that buy deere from home depot with 0 interest and 0 payment for like a year, so first year they dont even include their equipment and overhead, they will buy trimmers and blowers from same store in one package deal and leave store with out even taking out check book. They will see a flow of more money then they ever had seen in their life and then buy new truck for 500.00 a month with out realizing insurance will be more too after they drowe a 200.00 beeter before then. Then they will go work 12 hours in the field thinking that grossing 800.00 is allot of money. but after you calculate full year of expences, office materials, field tools, employees, taxes, marketing, depreciation, dings, scratches, stollen equipment, broken equipment by employees, flats, new tires, gloves,business cards, forms,softwares, updates, stamps, and thousand other expenses they wonder how one month they get 20.000 in the account and in a week there is only 500.00 left , yet they brag to friends and family they made 20.000 in a month.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Sorry, I am not looking for your approval, I am posting a sincere answer to your questions. If you want to charge top dollar for your services you need to appear as professional as possible, one way to do that is to use the spell check. Merry Christmas to you.

I should meet you on friday or saturday night at about 12.00 am in the moring with a shot of Vodka in your hand and talk to you about being proffesional. I am not here to solicit clientelle. I am chilling and shooting the breeze with out my company shirt on and Steel toe boots. I apreaciate your advice but it didn't come as an advice more like a sissy out of the blue pinch. If you care to see some of our work and decide if it is proffesional you let me know , I had single jobs that payed more then your years worth of income.

XLS
12-03-2009, 10:26 PM
PERFECT was that ment toward me or the other guy ? who many people do you have working under you , not beside you ????

zturncutter
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
He quoted me XLS, it was meant for me.

XLS
12-03-2009, 10:30 PM
It also depends on the individual setup as to the ease of success

brucec32
12-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Was this composed using some sort of translation software?

We all operate not fully knowing if our ways are best ways, I drive by competitors and off the bat I can see other companies weaknesses and strenths. I tried to network who knows how many times with other LCO's , but only few are open minded and understand there is more bissiness that we can handle ,even if we adopt other LCO'S strategies. I wonder all the time how does Vendor choose over 10 bids right contractor, we must remember not all Clients choose over bottom line. Some get motivated or inspired over sales pitch or something Landscaper pointed out that they have been looking for for years. How can 3 people mow 1 acre with same machine and same speed , but only one can beat other two by half time and yet have best quality. How can One trim , edge , manicure lawn with trimmer in 5 minutes and it will take other 25 minutes, where are the shortcuts, Who has designed home made blades that work better then Gators. Which bagging sistem bags more, makes less mess and costs a fraction of what dealers provide. I have thousands of questions and simply interest how DO YOU DO IT. Now this Post is not for arrogant, selfish ( me, me , me type) , but LCO's that figured it out on their own, because no one would teach them, not they want to pass on olipic torch of knoweledge to other with out expecting anything in return.
How can I LCO make 100.000 of 40 lawn accounts and others make only 25.000 ( pretending accounts are similar size and dificulty)
We are all victims of daily Marketing, Advertizing on Tv, Adds, and we wonder how we got sucked in? Well my question is how can you manipulate system that we are all in, whith out loosing integrity, honesty, and craftsmenship yet making bucks with less sweat, less bleeding and shorter hours?

XLS
12-03-2009, 10:33 PM
i could shock people on how low a startup cost a true business needs , i love it on here how everyone says it cant be done and i look back long before i came to ls and its working fine at most points i love it . lol

meets1
12-03-2009, 10:34 PM
In my area market dicates all else. Skid loader for example: The top dog excavatioin contractor charges $110 / an LS175 NH. People pay that cuz he knows how to run his equipment and the people think he is faster than all the rest with skids cuz he plays in the dirt all day everyday. I charge out at $90 and hour and get balked at cuz I am an LCO/landscaper/contractor and my skid is not worth what his skid is.

I can drive 30 miles down the highway and prices change drasticly - how do I know - cuz I have another lawn care business in a neighboring town. It is what people expect to pay and what they beleive the worth is to them. Example - I ran out of greenery for our seasonal lighting that we do. I called a local nursery where I get alot from every year and they quoted me a price with my discount - I thought a little high - so I called the local flower shop - same stuff - same vender - in fact there delivery man goes from florist then to this nuresry - The floral shop at full retail price is cheaper than what the nursery quoted - now where are you going to buy the greenery if you were me?

I am in small town USA - people are going to pay so much and that is it. I wish I had 40 accounts that were 5-10 acres a piece but those type of places in my area are far and few.

XLS
12-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Perfect ill talk if you let me in on a few of your standard practices

XLS
12-03-2009, 10:37 PM
meets 1 what is to say you are worth $90 no one but you can say if you can do it cheaper but if you just aint worth it then it isnt for you , its called jumping in on a hunch

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 10:38 PM
i must hit on this . a company can very much so charge less then $40 per hour per person . most successfull LCO's will agree it we chose not to .
its the smart opperators who come to find ways to offer lower rates and opperate more effecintlly to offset the $$$$ see i can tell a lady ill send a guy out to mow her lawn for $35.00 per hour and if it takes him 2 or 3 hours to complete it then he hasnt lost the company any money ,it is just he hasnt added much value to the company if the same guy cuts 3 out there and another man cuts 1 block over the same size lawns for 40.00
all he has done is made more profit .when time comes and a new unit is brough in and 2 guys cut them all in one day it is now prductivly creating a higher per hour rate of 120-220 per hour it is about qulity production .

we often bid a larger lawn at say $38.00 per hour with a 48" walker then turn around and mow it with a 60"z and knock it out in less then half the time bringing the per hour rate it a round 70.00 per on a one man crew

I see what you saying and you brought a good point in some way, but the way I look at it, why get 1000 customers where 500 you do it for nothing and 500 make you the profit.
Guy cutting lawn with walk behind for an hour is not just loss for 35.00 , it means he can't relax or take it easy later on in the day because he needs to catch up on his slack. I know what it like to mow with walk behind for an hour. Do you start charging customer by the hour mowing that lawn for 35.00 when guys unload or when you are starting to head towards their property. 35 an hour i dont see how that account even gives you a flush you pay that customer money to do their lawn. My rule of thumb is 1.00 per men per hour. BEcause if you trully calculate overhead it is about 1/3 of that.
if your do for 35.00 then you are doing it for .25c a minute. STop stop for a secont, who drove that guy there to the job, whos trailer he came to job in, what about yearly lights, wires , welds, tires, paint, washing, you have to do to keep that trailer running.What about traveling time, what if he got stuck in traffic for 20 minutes. What if he had to stop and take a piss at gas station and buy smokes. I belive that every customer has to bring you pure profit not some. I dont live thinking that tomorrow new guys or new customers will make it better or make me money. I might not be alive tomorrow or we might have a ww3 break out, so every account every stop counts, and if you calculate in the end of year what difference it makes you will be amazed.

meets1
12-03-2009, 10:39 PM
After re-reading a few post - I think we need to know more about your operation - you do more single jobs with profits higher than what some of us make in an year? Show me the............ forget the money - show me the work!

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 10:40 PM
That replie was for ztturncutter, i didn't realize by the time i finished there was other replies in between.

meets1
12-03-2009, 10:42 PM
$90 vs $110 an hour - I know my cost - been doing this for along time and and I am sure with all the fancy IRON that the excavtor man has - he needs $110 an hour with that skid. So throwing in on a hunch - not really! As far as it not being for me - same can be said as above - not really.

Perfect touch landscapes
i could shock people on how low a startup cost a true business needs , i love it on here how everyone says it cant be done and i look back long before i came to ls and its working fine at most points i love it . lol

Ok do you know to the penny what was your overhead for 2009?
I am curious, i run same routes you do , i cut same grass, but what really opened my eyes up is not grass, Landscaping and warking with materials has really tought me great deal how precise you have to be to turn cents in to tens of thousands.

greenScape09
In my area market dicates all else. Skid loader for example: The top dog excavatioin contractor charges $110 / an LS175 NH. People pay that cuz he knows how to run his equipment and the people think he is faster than all the rest with skids cuz he plays in the dirt all day everyday. I charge out at $90 and hour and get balked at cuz I am an LCO/landscaper/contractor and my skid is not worth what his skid is.

I can drive 30 miles down the highway and prices change drasticly - how do I know - cuz I have another lawn care business in a neighboring town. It is what people expect to pay and what they beleive the worth is to them. Example - I ran out of greenery for our seasonal lighting that we do. I called a local nursery where I get alot from every year and they quoted me a price with my discount - I thought a little high - so I called the local flower shop - same stuff - same vender - in fact there delivery man goes from florist then to this nuresry - The floral shop at full retail price is cheaper than what the nursery quoted - now where are you going to buy the greenery if you were me?

I am in small town USA - people are going to pay so much and that is it. I wish I had 40 accounts that were 5-10 acres a piece but those type of places in my area are far and few.

this is a perfect example... all companys are run differently, and where your located at plays (to me) the biggest factor, great wat to put it

XLS
12-03-2009, 10:43 PM
perfect your post to me is exaclty why i can say we can do it and why you cant it was that simple ..

meets1
12-03-2009, 10:45 PM
econ 101 - marketing=%mark up on those said materials=profit. Some greater than others but still basic.

I am still waiting for your brightness to appear so please share with us your magic by turning a penny into thousands!

zturncutter
12-03-2009, 10:46 PM
this is a perfect example... all companys are run differently, and where your located at plays (to me) the biggest factor, great wat to put it

I agree 100%.

XLS
12-03-2009, 10:47 PM
meets1 that is why i said you may be in trouble 90 an hour to opperate is high to me ( i am unsure of your equpment we have a asv-rc30 and it can opperate for 60 an hour and i can make good money on it it is how we look at it, nothing more

XLS
12-03-2009, 10:51 PM
perfect what is the details of you company ???? the biggest thing i know that small lcos do wrong is they include there overhead in every type service they offer as a whole
and they cant let go of the being small attitude of i had reather mow 40 instead of 100 . hell you are not mowing them you are manging them

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Ok for examle tell me why does skid operator or tree climer can charge 110-150.00 an hour. skid can run as much as a mower , cost of running it is about the same. Different is that you know not every joe has one and when you show up with nice trailer and skid on top they look at you like you are from different nick of the woods. Well I think in lawn or landscaping it is same thing. WHy lawyers charge 200.00 an hour or Machanic 70.00 -90.00 and hour , do they wark harder then we do? They know they can get it , because that's what it should be. Our competition or so called competion has f-up rates so bad that we gotten lost what is real and what is not. Did you know kid in 1980 with a push mower would mow grass for 20-25.00$ about 5-7.000 sf. What has changed. You show up with 7-20.000 mower and you mow for 30.00. Getting faster more expensive equipment means we need to cut our time in portion still charging what lawn should cost to cut. But I see guys with three ztr 72 inch on trailler they mow 45 yards and gross less then 1100 a day with 3 employees(boss is not even on the truck)

meets1
12-03-2009, 10:53 PM
$60 an hour is fine but my theroy is why leave money on the table? I am making good at $90. I am alittle less than he but if I land the job - what the heck - more profit - is not that the question at hand?

Now on the other end of the spectrum - I am going to high guy in the mowing world in my area - I beleive we do the best - one of the bigger outfits in my are for mowing and i have what I think is to be the best equipment on the market to be fast, effecient, and less fagtiued men at the end of the day but it comes with a price - I demand that price and 9 out of 10 times - I have the work/job/client.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 10:54 PM
perfect what is the details of you company ???? the biggest thing i know that small lcos do wrong is they include there overhead in every type service they offer as a whole
and they cant let go of the being small attitude of i had reather mow 40 instead of 100 . hell you are not mowing them you are manging them

proud to say i mowe every one of them.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 10:56 PM
For example there is formula to know if you are to cheat , priced right or to expensive.
How many accounts you all pick up out of 10 bids.

meets1
12-03-2009, 10:56 PM
It still comes down to what the market will bear in your given area! I mow alot of yards for guys that own houses in AZ, FL, TX - they laugh when they get my bill cuz 1 month bill here is like / time there. But yet are they willing to pay me more - - - NO cuz there back in small town USA.

topsites
12-03-2009, 10:57 PM
I'll tell you one secret and that's all you get: I neither touch drink nor drugs.

meets1
12-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Perfect - I have go to bed - so spill the beans. what formula do you have in your possesion?

meets1
12-03-2009, 10:59 PM
tops - your awesome!

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Some of our work.Our landscaping and my trimming

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:00 PM
meets1 see it could be you leaving money on the table you could have lowered your rate a little and had 3 units instead of 1 all working full days making you money instead of the invisible ceiling .

perfect the mechanic has alot more knowlage then your average lco and he is working as himself you have guys doing all your work or thats the way it should be

the more people you have working for you the less your overhead should beccome is how it works .

Kutz Lawns
12-03-2009, 11:00 PM
"One trick I use when putting together a proposal using my Quickbooks program or posting on Lawnsite is to click on the spell check button before I complete the document."

Welcome to the LS forums Perfect Touch!

Once you've been here enough you'll learn all the basics for posting on this site or you'll get blasted for it by the grammar police or the dredded punctuation police!

It is definitely one of my pet peeves to use and spell correct English language but I do realize that everyone is different too, so I let it slide but I just have a real hard time reading these forums sometimes, so I just read it twice & sometimes three times just to actually get it, you'll catch on!

You'll also catch onto what not to ask too!

God forbid, don't ever ask about sharpening your blades or how often either, you'll get a hundred & one different opinions on how to do it and how sharp they should be and what tools to use. Just stay away from that one OK!

How high do I mow? Here's another one to stay away from!

Have you ever heard of the disease forumitis before? It's the over compulsion to have an answer for every single question that is asked on a forum and we have quite a few members here that have it real, real, real bad! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

All kidding aside, Welcome!

meets1
12-03-2009, 11:01 PM
I would dare to say most on this site can do that - but at what cost!!??

meets1
12-03-2009, 11:03 PM
XLS - I run 2 machines at that rate - maybe around 35 hours / machine / week - give or take of course!

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:05 PM
perfect after seeing your pic i can send a guy out there and do the same thing for 35.00 hour with a 65.00 minimum and ill be good what is your outlook .( quality is no better then anyones )

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 11:08 PM
More of our work. Everything i am showing was done by me.

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:10 PM
well i feel alot of people on here dont want the help they ask for i have 20 business locations in the state and its all from our formulas and ill be glad to answer questions if asked .

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:11 PM
perfect not downing your work but what is to say someone else couldnt have done it the same way for you a lower price to pay an employee is the best method lol

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:13 PM
hey the 2nd pic up with the 10 bushes what did it cost to trim the bushes ?

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 11:13 PM
perfect after seeing your pic i can send a guy out there and do the same thing for 35.00 hour with a 65.00 minimum and ill be good what is your outlook .( quality is no better then anyones )

you think i am showing you my best jobs after 9 years Istill dont have time to take pictures from every job , what you see is jobs in last 3 month taken with my cell phone. If you say you can do the same with one of your guys I find it hard to believe , pick any picture and give me name of shrubber, propper care, what time of the year what fertilizer you you and then I will send you before picture when I got an account. See i dont just mow, 30% landscaping 40% mow and 30% mowing and other little stuff. I bet if you AND i would go head to head mowing solo with same equipment and same account I an not doubting for a sec I would be upthere. how many account have you ever done by your self, perfect cut, trim , edge, blow, bag in 8 hour day( honestly)

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:14 PM
and the first pic??? is this a regualar customer

zturncutter
12-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Is any one reminded of the Superthrive ads ?

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 11:18 PM
hey the 2nd pic up with the 10 bushes what did it cost to trim the bushes ?

beer taking affect , i havn't mastered this site yet my first two hours remember , what is the name of bushes, sorry.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 11:20 PM
One trick I use when putting together a proposal using my Quickbooks program or posting on Lawnsite is to click on the spell check button before I complete the document."

Welcome to the LS forums Perfect Touch!

Once you've been here enough you'll learn all the basics for posting on this site or you'll get blasted for it by the grammar police or the dredded punctuation police!

It is definitely one of my pet peeves to use and spell correct English language but I do realize that everyone is different too, so I let it slide but I just have a real hard time reading these forums sometimes, so I just read it twice & sometimes three times just to actually get it, you'll catch on!

You'll also catch onto what not to ask too!

God forbid, don't ever ask about sharpening your blades or how often either, you'll get a hundred & one different opinions on how to do it and how sharp they should be and what tools to use. Just stay away from that one OK!

How high do I mow? Here's another one to stay away from!

Have you ever heard of the disease forumitis before? It's the over compulsion to have an answer for every single question that is asked on a forum and we have quite a few members here that have it

my God i didn't realize i am so behind on replies, By the way I got walkers love them. slow, dusty, but they pay them selves off in about 2 months. i love the espesially for clean ups, i mulch with them, push, plow debris, i made my first stripe kit for it, now i got 4-5 ideas for mulch scoot, mulch bucket, debris vacum and other I will talk to you later.

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:22 PM
this all goes to the size properties we are comparing friend , i never thought they was your best i am not the bashing type . if i had to guess with our ferris72" 35-40 acre location . and a 48" walker 12 locations,3/4 -1 acre 48" on smaller lawns i could go do 25-35 a day it isnt a compotition

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 11:25 PM
10 boxwoods that is my regular, i have done about 5 trims to them. See more often i Trim my shrubs better they look, they get fooler and I dont leave any mistakes so next time i prune them i can do these 10 in 20 minutes. First time I prunned them for about 45 minutes. First time prune on these would have been 150.00 , as a regular customer he is part monthly maintenance , but if I were to prune them only I would of taken 80-105 for them. Now Do you see shrubs like that all the time? Maybe wherre you from but every job i got I put my signature on it. ONE OF A KIND IN TOWN. SO THEY PAY.

greenScape09
12-03-2009, 11:26 PM
your company doesnt grow by how many accts you can do a day, it grows by quality of work that is done and weather or not the costumers are happy!!! correct me if im wrong but last i check without the costumers, you have no business, NO ACCTS=NO WORK=NO BUSINESS

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 11:30 PM
seCOND picture is 13 acre property with about 300-500 trees , we do leaf clean up in 4.2 hours two guys on that crew.( my crew lol)

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:31 PM
perfect all i see about them is the angle and it isnt any haeder to do it it just take's longer also why not follow the contor the thre on the end is bigger and they dont need to be.
green scapes your correct , i think he feels its a contest he ask for help and he has bashed at everyone who is tryingto help

Kutz Lawns
12-03-2009, 11:32 PM
your company doesnt grow by how many accts you can do a day, it grows by quality of work that is done and weather or not the costumers are happy!!! correct me if im wrong but last i check without the costumers, you have no business, NO ACCTS=NO WORK=NO BUSINESS

Obviously he's not a mow & blow type!

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:33 PM
lol those pics dont equal 13 acres .......how big is an acre ( perfect only please)

greenScape09
12-03-2009, 11:35 PM
perfect all i see about them is the angle and it isnt any haeder to do it it just take's longer also why not follow the contor the thre on the end is bigger and they dont need to be.
green scapes your correct , i think he feels its a contest he ask for help and he has bashed at everyone who is tryingto help

thats what i was thinking...

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:35 PM
heck neither are we lol also perfect what equipment are you completing this property with ???

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:37 PM
green scape i think he is a new guy who thinks no one is better then him lol

perfect how many dumps a day do you/your crew collect of grass a day with that walker ? we average around 50 a day

TMlawncare
12-03-2009, 11:37 PM

To be quite honest, those that are charging 30/per man hour are not the ones I worry about. Its those that don't even know what they charge per man hour is who I always worry about. When its all said and done some underbid so badly the whole crew doesn't make even avg $20/hr. Those are the one that screw up the bids and skew you clients perceptions. Thats who I worry about.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Green scape you said it.
I dont give a flying squirel how much i am charging an hour. I got some customers they say Alex i need first class, some say Alex I will pay you whatever you want as long as you dont do work for anybody on this street, others say you are to expensive. this spring i gave 400 commercial bids i got 12-15 accounts. ( figure it out) Out of 400 50 called me back and asked me if i can rebid it again since they got burned with joe the blow. Accounts were in such mess i new i had to turn them down , because they would not go with tripple the payment first couple month to get it back where it needs to be.
I have learned one thing in any line of work there is 10% of customers that will drench your blood energy and excitment that you will not want to do the work for the other 90%
So I target the 90% and give a steel toe boot to the 10% Statistic 10% of people make 90% of the money , so how can I try to listen and compete with 100% of Lco's if in my opinion I want to compete with the 10%. I am fed up with rat race, i am tired with competion that thinks there is only 10 kinds of grasses. Just because you got ztr, trailer, and some magnet sticker on your truck and you bid same jobs I bid I can't be compettitive with you if you are not my competition.

greenScape09
12-03-2009, 11:42 PM
To be quite honest, those that are charging 30/per man hour are not the ones I worry about. Its those that don't even know what they charge per man hour is who I always worry about. When its all said and done some underbid so badly the whole crew doesn't make even avg $20/hr. Those are the one that screw up the bids and skew you clients perceptions. Thats who I worry about.

i agree, i was just trying to make an example, every area has different client's(high,meduim,low, income) , which factors in to your bids! so yes i agree with you, we have the same overall aspect

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:42 PM
13 acres 4.2 hours x2 men = 8.4 hours or 1.5 acres an hour with 1 walker?????

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:51 PM
????? perfect??? Guys i personally like the guys who say they make 30 hr and that is really all they make ,

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 11:52 PM
(this all goes to the size properties we are comparing friend , i never thought they was your best i am not the bashing type . if i had to guess with our ferris72" 35-40 acre location . and a 48" walker 12 locations,3/4 -1 acre 48" on smaller lawns i could go do 25-35 a day it isnt a compotition)

well if you can mow that much you definately would do more then I if you go solo, I just wonder if you do any traveling at such numbers or what quality of work we talking about.

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:52 PM
see perfect ask for help on his post but hasnt given any information to allow anyone to acctually help i could show him how a 30 hour turned to 100 in a heartbeat if he would talk lol

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:56 PM
the ferris location is a nursing home and it only get about 12 mins of walker time near the door and a inside garden and the 12 locations is all in a 20 mile town and the 25-30 is 5 -7 k lawns all in a real close area you just ask lol give me your guide line

all of these are spotless lol my crews do thing different then you though , that is all

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 11:57 PM
YOU asking me what size acre is? after we mow over 230 acres a week? lol
about 4200( enought) with your ferris 72 you should do an acre in about 20 minutes

XLS
12-03-2009, 11:58 PM
oh perfect you never answered the pic with the bushes trimed on one side and not on the other. see it ? are they regular customer???

XLS
12-04-2009, 12:00 AM
4200???????what is this sq footage

Perfect touch landscapes
12-04-2009, 12:08 AM
(green scape i think he is a new guy who thinks no one is better then him lol

perfect how many dumps a day do you/your crew collect of grass a day with that walker ? we average around 50 a day )

50 a day????? and you charge only 35.00$ an hour per men per hour??? o my you realy do well. I dump 3-5 yards a day. And I dont use walker to mow big properties dummy walker is ghs if you dont know what that is ( Grass Handling System) not sh++ picker upper. I can do that 13 acre property with 60 inch ferris bring everything in to center use 6 blades on ferris, high and gattor, make midlle 3 passes by the time all leafs get to the center going thrught 6 blades there is not much left yet everything is spotless then , I mulch leafs in the center with ferris going in reverse with discharge closed about 6 times and then suck up dust with walker which equals to 30-50 bushels.( happy) use it I just saved you some more years of trial and error. When I haul Trailer to recycling. My leafs are mulchedin to compost smaller then recycling center offers.( sharpen your blades daily and you will save 1 -2 hours a day of working with doll blades, onother secret, when sharpenning your gators sharpen your sides too and after wards spray d 40 underneight deck.Then I use rope on discharge and any time i need to control the discharge in split secont i have control.Pitch your deck inthe back 1/2 inch for leaf clean up

XLS
12-04-2009, 12:08 AM
is so your 13 acres 43560 x13= 566,280 now your 4200 which i assume you mean 42000x13= 546,000 your off a haulf acre per 13 acres os in your route of 230 acres you lost 10 acres of free cutting ,biggest tip i can now give you is know an acre

Perfect touch landscapes
12-04-2009, 12:14 AM
----------------To be quite honest, those that are charging 30/per man hour are not the ones I worry about. Its those that don't even know what they charge per man hour is who I always worry about. When its all said and done some underbid so badly the whole crew doesn't make even avg $20/hr. Those are the one that screw up the bids and skew you clients perceptions. Thats who I worry abou-------------

NOW that is a statement of a entrepenuer that know what it is like to bid on a job that has been maintened by mickey mouse family.

XLS
12-04-2009, 12:14 AM
see this is your mistake , you ask why someone big wont help , remember this ????

we have 12 walkers so i know all about them friend you need to lose your hostility toward me if you want help . a told you to ask how my 30 become 100 remenber dick its we charge $2.00 per dump after 3 dumps for grass with the walkers and with leaves that equates to 200= dumps per day each , see now times that by 12 friend , now if you want help ask if not dont be a dic$ , dic&

dKoester
12-04-2009, 12:15 AM
PTL, Trimming bushes too often can and will cause problems down the road. You will eventually be left with a green shell and the plant will loose its vigor. Also it will create problems with air circulation which can lead to disease. Do you also do selective pruning? If not, I would advise it.

XLS
12-04-2009, 12:19 AM
let you do math for a while 2 men can mow a location in 4 day but prefer 5 and another 2 guys trim bushes and do bed work it grosses $11,250.00 plus bed work .
this is us friend now how many lawns a day do you think we average with 20 locations

Perfect touch landscapes
12-04-2009, 12:23 AM
------------see perfect ask for help on his post but hasnt given any information to allow anyone to acctually help i could show him how a 30 hour turned to 100 in a heartbeat if he would talk lol -----------------

I love advice , but dont insult , laught , then joke and moke me ( after that you offer your advice? what advise have you offered bud, no insult i work my ass off like you do and I do respect you only if you work in the field, but city I am in i have learned I have learned I have been braking record stakes, but to be honest with you most people in this line of work are not so bright, easy in , easy money. To some making enought to pay 600.00 rent , beer, some 8th bowls, ok some strip joints and they are happy. IN my opinion someone in this line of work should eat better then MCdonalds everyday , drive better car then a 10-25 year old piece of shi* truck , have a trailer that stayes in one piece with both fenders and lights and live a middle class or above men lifestyle. Do you really thing we work as much or as hard as guys on sallary or wage doing 50-95k a year????
I dont f 'n think so. You work your balls off day in and day out, you work before your employees do and after they do, Do you even charge your client for that time or not , or it is all a freebie.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-04-2009, 12:26 AM
4200???????what is this sq footage

sorry my bad forgot to add a zero, 43560 to be excact

XLS
12-04-2009, 12:27 AM
ok ..........perfect do you feel i have did this to you /?????? insult,laugh,and joke ?????

XLS
12-04-2009, 12:29 AM
i knew so i added this no fun was being made **** just showed you you was lossing 10 acres of fees by your figures , so you know we do it at 43500 so we only lose 60 per

Perfect touch landscapes
12-04-2009, 12:34 AM
xls men I dont know why you are being so high strong but i am not here to argue , if youhave 12 walkers Iacant understand the cost of 120.000 along just on equipment, care to know some strategies you can pass on to your guys about walkers????

XLS
12-04-2009, 12:37 AM
what would you like to know . i wasnt being i been trying to get you to drop info is all .....heck if your walker wasnt in the pic i never would have knew your equipment, this makes it hard to help when you aint willing to be helped is all .

What would you like to know? just ask

XLS
12-04-2009, 12:38 AM
give me an idea of your needs

Perfect touch landscapes
12-04-2009, 12:50 AM
**** i just finaly figured out on of the big stops of expaning or being bigger and you know what that is? wife she just came and shut computer off cause I passed the curfue time can you believe this ****???

XLS
12-04-2009, 12:52 AM
lol i guess this would do it , my wife has been a big reason behind my business plan as well

Perfect touch landscapes
12-04-2009, 01:33 AM
( dKoester
LawnSite Bronze Member Join Date: Jan 2006

PTL, Trimming bushes too often can and will cause problems down the road. You will eventually be left with a green shell and the plant will loose its vigor. Also it will create problems with air circulation which can lead to disease. Do you also do selective pruning? If not, I would advise it. )

I do selective prunning , i am starting to learn that some customers no matter how much you sell then on proper quatity of prunning of shrubs they will cutt in in betweet and others no matter how much i tell them we should give plants time to grow they want them scuplure like. Well I realize advicing some one and following up with results is two different things. By the way did you know that National Landascape Lifespan is 7-9 years, so why the f*** do we try so hard to make them live when their hearbeat has stoped long time ago?

XLS
12-04-2009, 01:36 AM
perfect touch i thought ou had to go ,sorry . what would you like to know about walkers?

topsites
12-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Look, the guy's drunk, he probably ain't gonna learn squat and all he's doing
is getting his boredom relieved so he can keep partying. How he runs any sort
of a business in this condition is beyond me but either way it's all just for kicks.

XLS
12-04-2009, 01:38 AM
got you , i missed where he was drinking lol

Perfect touch landscapes
12-04-2009, 01:39 AM
to be honest with you all which i apreciate this evening a great deal. My first night , my first time and now I believe I can struck a conversation even about something stupid as I have. I Thank you all for your time and participations even the once that tottaly dint like my spirit. I know and believe that this site realy has some true heart blooded pros and some stupid roockies that are here just to kill their missery of lonliness.
Thans again

XLS
12-04-2009, 01:46 AM
topsite appears your correct

Perfect touch landscapes
12-04-2009, 01:48 AM
To be drinking and be on this site showes mens true intentions, when someone takes that and misabusinit it is diff story. To be drinking and being drunk is two different things. As I have said before english is my 4th language. WHen I was in USA 2 years my GPA was 4.0, so dont give me any **** of being incompetent. We all have our weaknesses or addiction, ither its boose, porn, or laziness. Mine is just ability to forget day and hundreds of customers two to three times a month. Is it Ok Top cites.

coolluv
12-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Well after reading all the posts in this thread I learned one thing.

I need an interpreter.

Dave...

zturncutter
12-04-2009, 08:05 AM
It really does remind me of a Superthrive ad.

topsites
12-04-2009, 12:35 PM
To be drinking and be on this site showes mens true intentions, when someone takes that and misabusinit it is diff story. To be drinking and being drunk is two different things. As I have said before english is my 4th language. WHen I was in USA 2 years my GPA was 4.0, so dont give me any **** of being incompetent. We all have our weaknesses or addiction, ither its boose, porn, or laziness. Mine is just ability to forget day and hundreds of customers two to three times a month. Is it Ok Top cites.

Yeah but I ain't stupid, you said early on you was into a 6-pack so I figure by
the time you left this you're somewhere between a 12 and a case deep.

It's not that you're the only one who drinks in this business, you're hardly the only one who drinks and gets
on here either, but most of them don't start a conversation for the purpose of the party and that's what bugs.

So I hope the next time I catch you that you're sober because I have a rule: don't talk to drunks,
it ain't worth the waste of breath when it's bad enough trying to get a point across to sober folks lol
But if they're sober at least I can sleep knowing that if they didn't see things my way, but they were full and well awake and aware.

It makes a difference, with a drunk person I haven't a clue if what I'm saying is even registering,
or how, and then I never know what to expect...

So I don't normally entertain folks who have been drinking, and the fact that someone sees this
as mere entertainment isn't exactly making my day, all right I'm done lol.

Az Gardener
12-04-2009, 04:31 PM
I don't know why but I will try and get this thread back on track. I think the original question does have merit but I also couldn't comprehend most of the thread.

I find that being organized saves the majority of time. Making the most used tools easily accessible, carrying everything you need to complete a task. For instance when we check sprinklers, which we do every visit after mowing. We have a sprinkler box/bag that has every type of nozzle that we would need, they are all organized by manufacturer, throw distance, and spray pattern. It also has a few sprinkler heads, a hand trowel, risers and swing joints. So if a head is not spraying correctly everything is right there to do the repair without going back to the truck. The guy checking heads gets that bag before he begins.

We also task the job correctly so you don't have your cheapest guy checking sprinklers and your most expensive guy mowing grass. Each position has their set of tasks they perform at each job. I don't want my foreman picking up piles or watering pots, that is just a waste of his knowledge and time.

Routing correctly saves big time.

Having systems that are taught to new employees prior to putting them out in the field saves time. Having goals and making sure the employees know what they are and how they can achieve them will also make you money.

I'm sorry to say this for the hundredth time and no disrespect for the solo's out there but if you are not out of the field you own a job not a business. If you business can't operate without you for any length of time its not a business.

XLS I would like to hear more about your operation, to have 20 locations is no small feat. If you have a thread to direct me to that better explains your operation I would enjoy reading it. A company website would also be a good start.

zturncutter
12-04-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't know why but I will try and get this thread back on track. I think the original question does have merit but I also couldn't comprehend most of the thread.

I find that being organized saves the majority of time. Making the most used tools easily accessible, carrying everything you need to complete a task. For instance when we check sprinklers, which we do every visit after mowing. We have a sprinkler box/bag that has every type of nozzle that we would need, they are all organized by manufacturer, throw distance, and spray pattern. It also has a few sprinkler heads, a hand trowel, risers and swing joints. So if a head is not spraying correctly everything is right there to do the repair without going back to the truck. The guy checking heads gets that bag before he begins.

We also task the job correctly so you don't have your cheapest guy checking sprinklers and your most expensive guy mowing grass. Each position has their set of tasks they perform at each job. I don't want my foreman picking up piles or watering pots, that is just a waste of his knowledge and time.

Routing correctly saves big time.

Having systems that are taught to new employees prior to putting them out in the field saves time. Having goals and making sure the employees know what they are and how they can achieve them will also make you money.

I'm sorry to say this for the hundredth time and no disrespect for the solo's out there but if you are not out of the field you own a job not a business. If you business can't operate without you for any length of time its not a business.

XLS I would like to hear more about your operation, to have 20 locations is no small feat. If you have a thread to direct me to that better explains your operation I would enjoy reading it. A company website would also be a good start.

Great post, thank you. Time to get a couple of inexpensive tool boxes.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-04-2009, 07:24 PM
I started using 25 gallon tree containers, they have handles and can be used for anything, best thing I love about them is mulching yards or steep hills with no ascess,I put debris in them and when I dump I don't even have to use pitchfork or shovel. You can stack them and they don't take place in trailer. Best use is to when I mulch straigh lines with no edjing towards grass I lay bucket sideways and just roll it
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-04-2009, 08:13 PM
AZ Gardener i must say you are dead on and i to love how the regular lco say they are a business yet they paid 6-30 k for their jobs. as far as a web site we do not have one , due to the different names and locations it is easier to just use a temporary webpage at different times of the year to handle internet volumes . have you ever heard of a temp site? they work great for the most part

topsites
12-04-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't think we're going to hear from that guy again.
Way I see things he's probably some college student who got drunk in his dormitory last night, and knowing the sorry state
he was in rather than trying to rouse any of his classmates he comes around here to try and make himself feel better in his
miserable state, at our expense... Figuring we'd be the sorriest fellows around he could think of and thus we would be the
last ones to turn him away.
That's how I see things, and maybe I'm wrong but at least now it makes sense.
Because while the guy acted like he knew something about the business, it also sounded as much like someone
so full of hot air that he wouldn't have known how to unload the first lawn mower off the trailer.

Either that or this place is really going down the tubes of late.
Tell you something, learn to spot the bull, or else someone out there will have your lunch.

Because there's a whole thread about this very subject, stickied, in the Starting a business section.
TIPS, Do's and Don'ts tips for the new guy (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=13339)

I'm sure it covers all of this and more, then again maybe some folks are just too good for that.

meets1
12-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Topsite - with you on this one man - only perfect can do this and that perfect - i would bare say there are a few of us on here that could go day in day against any of his so-called work and still be $$$$$$$$$$$ ahead of the game - since that was the orginial question - but thinking back on this he never did share any secret formula to his success?

XLS
12-04-2009, 10:45 PM
lol meets 1 if we didnt have a pic of the walker ,we never would have know what to compare his greatness to.

and to think i was willing to talk to him ,,,,,,,,,,fool such as me

meets1
12-04-2009, 10:57 PM
XLS - gotta love it! Enjoy the weekend!

XLS
12-04-2009, 11:05 PM
same to you ! trying to stay warm is in the plans this weekend here

G Lovett
12-05-2009, 12:44 AM

I agree
We all need to be more professional in everything we do and we need two be very consistent in our work and let our work speak for for who we are and
how we do business.

grassman177
12-05-2009, 01:02 AM
well, after further reviewing the evidence( all posts by the thread starter, Perfect dude) i can say, he is a real ass. he just came in here starting a loaded question. lay off pal, no competition here. just information an discussion. just lay off

ADVANCEDOHIO
12-05-2009, 11:28 AM
well, after further reviewing the evidence( all posts by the thread starter, perfect dude) i can say, he is a real ass. He just came in here starting a loaded question. Lay off pal, no competition here. Just information an discussion. Just lay off

****ditto****

grassman177
12-05-2009, 04:52 PM
i thought that the comment i posted was well deserved. thanks. there are many great companies on here that do excellent work and trying to come on here and boast how "perfect " you are and how no one can touch your so called awesome work is just downright conceded and arrogant. no need for that.

XLS
12-05-2009, 05:06 PM
guys we all know it sounds like everyone living at home, mowing off daddy's money for the equipment with little to no experiance . i know he wasnt firring on all cylinders when he really thought his bushes were special and didnt catch the hint a company can sent someone out to do as good at a cheaper price then the owner of the business.

call me wrong but i can send a guy to work way cheaper then i can go do it because i dont pay him the labor i pay myself lol

Cheffy
12-05-2009, 05:24 PM
I am 34 and work full time and also own a small LCO 60 buildings a week and about 50 lots once a month . I have some help to get it all done . My point is I do not have any money borrowed against my LCO equip. and I know my avg. fuel cost/gallon on a monthly basis . I know my cost for equip. replacement. If someone wants to mow something way cheap good for them . I'll still be here mowing for a profit when this DMF is back working in a factory and his murray or MTD is rusting out behind his house. I know my cost plus profit margin and I don't worry about the johny come lately.

XLS
12-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Cheffy help me here how was this a tip blah blah , was it addressed to something on this thread , quote it so we can compair to your words . your words seem hostile to some point and i am trying to figure out why this is .

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 12:18 AM
There was a time I wasn't I didn't know how to get mower of trailer, that was the day I came and picked up ferris 2000 . I can't say it was my first day of mowing , I didn't mow first yard for onother month after a purchase.when I started first week it rained every other day and grass was already 6-9 inches long. I almost sold accounts but decided to stick with it.I never worked for anyone or been on a ztr before, yet had to load brand new mower, I had 20 customers lined up to mow for and landscaping and maintenance was only services I have done. Iwill tell you one thing and I had allot of lco"s laugh at me when I told them I sharpen blades daily for every crew. Doll blades waste more gas,scar turf and simply don't discharge clippings the same. I almost gotten addidcted to the different sound deck makes when it is properly maintained. Time I save every day is worth alone and each set of blades loose only 5% of it's serfice
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 12:27 AM
we personally change blade daily as well but only sharpen once weekly to save shop,setup time ect.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Mowing requires more patience, more employee turn over, longer hours, brake downs and stress keeping all accounts running smooth I would say 4 times stressful then any other landscaping work that's why you see 50 mowers for every landscaper. It is allot easier to loose mowing account then landscape job or large maintenance account, it saddens me to see so many lawn technitians cut them selves so short day in day out, because they don't trully know what lawn prices range in. I don't try to build my business on lawn maintenance , I use it as a filler, and use it to get real nice maintenance accounts , most of them want package deal and I sell them the idea they will only have to blame one guy not 6 different contractors
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 12:32 AM
I get some guys that mowed for 6-8 years for pros and I have to teach them to raise the deck every time they load and unload equipment. One doofice scraped spindles so hard on deck after I payed 500$ to fix it it is still beyong repair
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Xls. I van take 6 blades of in the field with no jack , sharpen them that I can cut my self put them back on in 10 min , but I only do that if didn't have time in shop
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 12:53 AM
see i like how you speak down to people like we are stuipid .
i know how walkers work so i aint shocked you need no jack we have 12 .
and even soi know why you sharpen every day , because if you cut much grass they start showing there dulling by mid-day .....see i do know my stuff hehe .
why do they have to lift the height??? we dont hit blades on any unitswalkers can drag to no damage at all . try a longer gate or changing you trailer angle, teaching you something . j/k

ill tell you something else about walker that you only will hear from me . dont tighten the blade up the guys took a socket that fit the nut and 2 peices of 1/2" rod and made a Tee wrench they welded it all togather and it takes up about 4" in the box and this will save going to the tool box and finding things and the lose part will prevent overtightening which will kill a walker.hand tight is all it needs ,snug

another tip get a tool box and only put importan tools in it that fit a walker or any mower so it limits the number of times you pice up a socket you never needed , theres no need for a complete tool box

take a 6x6 post and cut a piece at 16" then keep it on your trailer and throw away the jack for fixing flats

need more tips i got them all day long if you just ask

kemco
12-06-2009, 01:04 AM
XLS, seriously curious, do you ever mulch with the walkers or just bag? I have 2 ZTR set up for mulching only. Been thinking about getting a walker as soon as the funds will allow. Those I see in my area are usually only bagging. Just bought a leaf loader and dumptrailer set up for leaves. I see some guys who do it just as fast with a walker and bagging. Could have bought one for the money I just threw at the leaf loader system.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:05 AM
I have more then walkers I use gate to lift ztrs, we got allot acrage lots here with walkers only I will mow some lots tillrapture, do you know how to suck anything of a turf or pavement or beds with walker? Using different hights and right pitch will do the trick, I made my own stripe kits toake stripes like you never seen, then I made after market discharcge kit for batters works like charm
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:13 AM
How many walkers gotten on fire, have you modified muflers? Have you ever filled tires with antifreeze to eliminate tires losing traction? Have you ever thought about sharpenning vac blade for better mulching? Do you think additional 3 side propeller can be added inside vac blade
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 01:15 AM
XLS, seriously curious, do you ever mulch with the walkers or just bag? I have 2 ZTR set up for mulching only. Been thinking about getting a walker as soon as the funds will allow. Those I see in my area are usually only bagging. Just bought a leaf loader and dumptrailer set up for leaves. I see some guys who do it just as fast with a walker and bagging. Could have bought one for the money I just threw at the leaf loader system.

yeah they mulch and bag /depending on the time of year . If you have mulching mowers you can mulch with the discharge side open with one guy and let the walker catch everything that comes out ,be glad to talk walker with you .

XLS
12-06-2009, 01:20 AM
I have more then walkers I use gate to lift ztrs, we got allot acrage lots here with walkers only I will mow some lots tillrapture, do you know how to suck anything of a turf or pavement or beds with walker? Using different hights and right pitch will do the trick, I made my own stripe kits toake stripes like you never seen, then I made after market discharcge kit for batters works like charm
Posted via Mobile Device

gate to lift mower , what kind of gate is this?
tillrapture????????????

yeah it will pick up great simply by dropping the deck to the last pin in the back and picking the front up to the hight that the biggest thing fits in ,( if its just sig butts drop the back and up one in the front ,and add brushes if it is thick .

making the stripe kit ?? how chains lol \

made an aftermarket discharge for what?????????????

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Discharge to add on bagged if I don't want to bag or client is cheap and grass is really tall , about gate you forgeting each trailer has ztr, walkbehind, walker I drive on opened gate sideways with ztr to get clearance of about almost two feet to take blade off or clean deck
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 01:30 AM
How many walkers gotten on fire, have you modified muflers? Have you ever filled tires with antifreeze to eliminate tires losing traction? Have you ever thought about sharpenning vac blade for better mulching? Do you think additional 3 side propeller can be added inside vac blade
Posted via Mobile Device

walkers on fire ....none its preventive maintenance ( a myth stoy of LS )
tires dont lose traction if the opperator can control it lol
sharpening vac ...... NO its called balance and the blades crush the leaves when it slaps it not as it goes around the actual fins ,watch one work .it sucks in at the middle and it goes in the gap of the fins to make it shread it would need fingers (claws pointing out )put between each fin). little wonder sees this too because of the tallon they do
instead of trying to add fins and having to ballance it to keep it from killing some one try this . gator blade , cut it down to where it fits in the housing weld it up drill a hole matching the center hole in the wheel then balance the blade like anyother mower blade and install . this gives your blower the capibility to mow (like a push mower and still be delivered into the trailer via vaccum. i also posted other things on making vacs shread in the thread on it .

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Nice to know I am not the only one knows their equipment up here I have seen guys that leave their decks onsame height year round and vacum pavement with pins on 5 have you ever installed auto height kit on a walker is it worth it or you like manual control better
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Discharge to add on bagged if I don't want to bag or client is cheap and grass is really tall , about gate you forgeting each trailer has ztr, walkbehind, walker I drive on opened gate sideways with ztr to get clearance of about almost two feet to take blade off or clean deck
Posted via Mobile Device

what mower did you design the discharge for???

you need to read your drunken ramblings i ask your equipment last night and you never answerd . i had no idea of your equipment at all .

and i guess you have an impact wrench on the trailer too .because every midmound i ever seen the nut tightens up or is tighened to the point a wrench and 2x4 dont break it lose lol . we do the same thing ,with an impact lol

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Do you have pic of gators I have been trying to figure this out since threre is so little space do you loose all the sucsion orit is still the same
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Nice to know I am not the only one knows their equipment up here I have seen guys that leave their decks onsame height year round and vacum pavement with pins on 5 have you ever installed auto height kit on a walker is it worth it or you like manual control betterImpact only I have found out the other way where I almost cut finger off I even put 2x4 and anything else you can think off but now just apply enough pressure to keep them tight by the way do your discos that blades sit on ware out on in side like 1/8 inch
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 01:42 AM
Nice to know I am not the only one knows their equipment up here I have seen guys that leave their decks onsame height year round and vacum pavement with pins on 5 have you ever installed auto height kit on a walker is it worth it or you like manual control better
Posted via Mobile Device

no we have tried them but due to the height we cut with them we cant use them on the mowing crews . we only change our mowing height about 3 times a year . we cut at 5'' all summer and no lower then 3.5 in the spring ( you will ask how ) lol

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:43 AM
got models c and d I had discharge before but for that money I'd rather get small ztr or ferris dd 48 walkbehind
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:44 AM
Have you ever looked in to making bagger bigger or you think weight of it will cause problems
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 01:44 AM
by the way do your discos that blades sit on ware out on in side like 1/8 inch
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

cant really make out what your asking here

XLS
12-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Do you have pic of gators I have been trying to figure this out since threre is so little space do you loose all the sucsion orit is still the same
Posted via Mobile Device

lol put it togather and play with it lol i canttell you all my secrets lol
you would have some but there is other part to it lol

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:47 AM
I am still trying to figure out how to have all debris espessially leafs shrewd better getting tired of prepping up leafs with bigger ztrs, my head drives me crazy I always try to find better faster ways even if machine from dealer is promisses perfect
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:49 AM
What is best and worst you like about walkers , do you use turf tires or grip ones' what would you change and have you ever added speed up kit and if you did how do you see diff
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 01:50 AM
Have you ever looked in to making bagger bigger or you think weight of it will cause problems
Posted via Mobile Device

THIS IS NOT A JOKE send a check for 40.oo ill make you sheet your pants
ill send you a design we use that gets capacity up to 18 bushels .

also contact walker and ask them if they have started developing the leaf extention we designed on the spot at the gie this year . .
do you go to the gie ???????

see the walker??

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:51 AM
by the way do your discos that blades sit on ware out on in side like 1/8 inch
Posted via Mobile Device

cant really make out what your asking here[/QUOTE]
Silver plates blades go on from inside of spindlle they wear out a bit
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 01:53 AM
What is best and worst you like about walkers , do you use turf tires or grip ones' what would you change and have you ever added speed up kit and if you did how do you see diff
Posted via Mobile Device

turf only even on our loader walker .
speed up yes ,not to spread things un true but we are testing a 8.5mph speed up now . the 6.5mph factory speed-up is marginal but it is worth the 25.00 dealer cost to change a pulley and a belt

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Leaf extention? Walker guys are slow it is the lcos who recreate half the ****, I have it in my head how I would make bigger bag just nver have time to make one I never have time especially bying husband and father most guys I can't trust worth of crap
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 01:57 AM
cant really make out what your asking here
Silver plates blades go on from inside of spindlle they wear out a bit
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

i think you are talking about the debris guards that the shearpins go in , yes they wear in the box and in thickness needing a washer if not replaced on time .$35.00

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 01:58 AM
Is it all speed up is? I don't care so much for speed on turf bit from and to makes diferrence
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 02:00 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 02:02 AM
Leaf extention? Walker guys are slow it is the lcos who recreate half the ****, I have it in my head how I would make bigger bag just nver have time to make one I never have time especially bying husband and father most guys I can't trust worth of crap
Posted via Mobile Device

we tell walker what we want and they build them overtime due to request of it . 2 years ago we showed them 12-14 bushel design we have and they said they thought it was to big due to the weight of grass in the summer.

this year at the gie i brought up an idea and we stood their bob and dean and our guys and designed it on the spot and they said GO so make a request on it . to help push the idea. we have built a loader out of one
and alot of other things walker wont acknolage as our ideas but it doesnt mater .

XLS
12-06-2009, 02:04 AM
if you know what the DISCHARGE shute for a walker is i can add 3 bushel in 30 mins
this is what i designed up there this year

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 02:06 AM
Men I want to see one of you walkers come on I got tons of ideas I hac ve for mulch loaders and other crap never seen one walker modified by anyone
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 02:09 AM
see post# 142 for speed up info the 1.5 they give you adds up to faster to and from when going to dump and if you know your numbers that adds up to 25%-50% of the time your mowing on job anyways it will shave off about 18 mins an hour average

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 02:10 AM
Very nice I see you are a thinker too, doesn't it make work funner to test your inventions and think them out as you work you got to show me some of your walkers I am still thinking what medium u used for bagger and if you added only heigh or lenth too , maybe rested some over a seat?
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 02:12 AM
we have a sheet load of units that walker would never clame to know about .

did you see where i said we are going 8.5mph on one??? or the 14-16-18 bushel plans????

XLS
12-06-2009, 02:17 AM
you want all my secretes at once , lol using me for ideas ....some friend lol

we had a box carrier frame off a unit we upgraded the box on ,we took it and made a hinge point and added handles then built a box 3.5' x4'x3.75' and built it inside exactly the same as walker and bolted it to the frame then just added a squrare tube down to fit the factory discharge location .

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 02:17 AM
How do I search for 142
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 02:22 AM
turf only even on our loader walker .
speed up yes ,not to spread things un true but we are testing a 8.5mph speed up now . the 6.5mph factory speed-up is marginal but it is worth the 25.00 dealer cost to change a pulley and a belt

also i missed you leaf extention post.............. have you seen the walker rear discharge attachment????

XLS
12-06-2009, 02:27 AM
do you have access to aol????????????? or verizon phone lol

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 02:30 AM
No I have not seen one looking for it on google can't find one
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 02:32 AM
I am on my iPhone
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 02:39 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Walker-Mower-No-Catch-Deflector_W0QQitemZ280431142094QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414affa4ce

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 02:40 AM
Not using u just curious and interested if I had time I would of made baby stroller out of a walker but I operate in field everyday also
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 02:43 AM
Ok bHattiehat is no catch not discharge atachment I guess I missanderstood you
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 02:46 AM
I am done for today thanks for a chat send me pic of a walker if you up for it of not I understand
Posted via Mobile Device

TreeClimber57
12-06-2009, 08:19 AM
English is my 4th language , sorry I didn't't try hard enough to please your approval.

Hey.. no worries. We all got the message. If English is your 4th language then congratulations and welcome. Wish I had four languages I could converse in.

Hopefully you enjoy your stay here.. contribute and learn. There is a lot of knowledge here, some of the ones with knowledge do not post a whole lot.. but when they do it is a nugget worth reading. Others do post more and still have lots of value.. so keep reading.

RobertProv
12-06-2009, 09:33 AM
This was one of the best threads ever, almost as good as the 'lowballers', but am I the only one that is curious as to what the three other languages are?-or did I miss that??

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Russian polish Ukrainian
Posted via Mobile Device

Az Gardener
12-06-2009, 12:50 PM
I get some guys that mowed for 6-8 years for pros and I have to teach them to raise the deck every time they load and unload equipment. One doofice scraped spindles so hard on deck after I payed 500$ to fix it it is still beyong repair
Posted via Mobile Device

Your employees are a reflection of you. The ability to hire and train good people is a calling card of a successful business. That's the difference between a business owner and a superstar technician who works for themselves.

If you have bad employees its no ones fault but your own. Every time I hear about the bonehead employees I just laugh to myself. Just announce to the world I'm a crappy owner I don't know how to run a business. Remember when you point the finger at someone else for problems there are four more pointing back at you. Good owners step up and take responsibility for employees actions.

As the owner its your responsibility to hire and train good people. They are your representatives in the community not just to your clients but to every person who sees that person in your company truck or in your company shirt no matter if they are on or off the job. As a business owner who you hire is your most important decision.

RobertProv
12-06-2009, 12:52 PM
dziekuje-mowie po polsku nie dobrze

yeah I know my Polish blows, never could get the hang of it and my grandparents disowned me when I broke off the engagement with a girl from Warsaw, even the parish Priest was po'd, at Easter he would ask what plate was mine and managed to always keep the holy water from getting anywhere near it....

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 12:54 PM
I like to be politically correct when it is time for that but if I am typing these messages on the phone it is kind of different spell checking and pleasing some guys here so I just care about sending a
a message
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 12:56 PM
off of the quote in az , i never have had a spindle hang like he spoke of ????? how is it possible nost manufacture design the blade up into the deck lol this means it just slides on the metal but should never hang ..............right?

zturncutter
12-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Your employees are a reflection of you. The ability to hire and train good people is a calling card of a successful business. That's the difference between a business owner and a superstar technician who works for themselves.

If you have bad employees its no ones fault but your own. Every time I hear about the bonehead employees I just laugh to myself. Just announce to the world I'm a crappy owner I don't know how to run a business. Remember when you point the finger at someone else for problems there are four more pointing back at you. Good owners step up and take responsibility for employees actions.

As the owner its your responsibility to hire and train good people. They are your representatives in the community not just to your clients but to every person who sees that person in your company truck or in your company shirt no matter if they are on or off the job. As a business owner who you hire is your most important decision.

This is one of the most important things to always remember as a business owner. You as the owner are always the responsible party both morally and legally. Every time a mistake was made in my company over the years I can trace the reason back to something I did or did not do.

grassman177
12-06-2009, 06:21 PM
ok, maybe i was a bit harsh on you perfect landscape guy , it makes more sense now being English is your 4th language and most likely you are an immigrant. when did you come to the USA, how old and all that kind of information? i am glad to see you are your own business owner. a great accomplishment

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 10:27 PM
I was 14 been here for 15 there are so many opportunities here and what pissed me off the most when someone who was born here gives me excuses why their life is a mess, all countries in the world you got to work your buns off but I have seen more peoople this year then in my whole life who want raises after a month of working because they show up to work expecting you buy lunch, let's put it this way my little sister generetation which just got married I worry for her and my dad I think he will be her provider till he dies.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
12-06-2009, 11:53 PM
i agree with you so much, the american young workers are pathetic, they want it all for nothing. i have worked hard all my life to be where i am and i expect all others to do the same so no raises till proven worthy!!!!!

Perfect touch landscapes
12-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Xls did you delete your contact info I can't find it
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Bidding on chain of burger kings (24) about 80 menhours for each store a year .snowplowimg separathatEhat insentives whould you offer and if they want all stores plowed in 3 hour window would you sub out .20 minute traveling between each store.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-08-2009, 01:48 AM
what will you plow with ? how long does it take to plow each stop???

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 02:28 AM
8 foot meyer only got 3 trucks to donate to those accounts, salt and plow. 1.5 hours travel 20 min if I would bid and get 125-150 an hour per plow I would send all equipment and get it done buttaking trucks from regulars and VIP that pay top notch is not worth it. Buying plow equipment here is gamble one winter it will sit onother we use it 3-5 times
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 02:32 AM
What incentive whould you offer because of quantity of stores, what whould you charge "mow,prune,mulch,weeds,perennials."
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-08-2009, 02:05 PM
NONE offer a per location price and let it be you real bid .

what you are suggesting is called buying a account . bid each one correctly, if not you are going to lose alittler to gain a few jobs . if nothing else i would do a minimum per store if they fit your Minimum fee guidlines

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 03:23 PM
NONE offer a per location price and let it be you real bid .

what you are suggesting is called buying a account . bid each one correctly, if not you are going to lose alittler to gain a few jobs . if nothing else i would do a minimum per store if they fit your Minimum fee guidlines
What you think account like that should cost 24 locations 80 menhours of labor a year , 300 of mulch per property and 500$ in chemicals each one?
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-08-2009, 03:30 PM
what was the size of turf? at each

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 03:39 PM
About 7-15k average 10k two guys 16- 20 min at the most( tall fescue with Bermuda)
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
52,800k/plus all additional cost would be the fee with our minimum for those size that is 2200 per year per place, this may cover the materials and all if not cover them also dont include snow ,dont know enough to help here

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Ok thanks I didn't know how I could bid less then 84k if you can tip me it would be great. I figured my overhead and cost of materials would run 54k alone.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-09-2009, 12:36 AM
that is that PLUS Additional cost i dont know you cost

subtract you cost out of your 84k and see what is left ????

XLS
12-09-2009, 12:38 AM
i assumed the fuel would add up to alot but i cant tell you how much it would be .
plus as said you need to add snow clean up to my price because it isnt in it .

Perfect touch landscapes
12-14-2009, 12:52 AM
Jumpstarting this thread
Posted via Mobile Device