PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to Prune and clean Debris from Shrub Trimming

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Fastest way to Prune and clean Debris from Shrub Trimming
I have pulled up to jobs I needed to bid on some had 10 shrubs and others had 230 mature 4x4 boxwoods with freshly applied cedar mulch or lava rock, on the left there is open pool , on the right hot tub, around shrubs there is 1000 sqft of ground cover. Anyways this is not sertain situation, but example how would you beat the time of back braking and bidding not to hight to get the job. Please positive responses only.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Has anyone ever tried Vacuflow commercail grade?

zturncutter
12-03-2009, 10:04 PM
In the areas where I can't blow the trimmings into the yard to mulch I will put down a tarp and let the trimmings drop on that.

greenScape09
12-03-2009, 10:13 PM
we use the little wonder lear vac w/the hose attachment, when done trimming, run the hose vac over the bush/headge,once thats done, we shake the bush,heagde, (after we put a tarp under it) and vac that up, thats seems to work great for us.. sounds like a pain but pretty quik. other wise we hand pick everything out of the mulch

grassman177
12-03-2009, 11:05 PM
do they make little vacs just for picking up this type of debris?

greenScape09
12-03-2009, 11:09 PM
do they make little vacs just for picking up this type of debris?

not that i know of but i just use lw vac with hose attachment, billy goat has something similer,look into it ,its worth your time

topsites
12-03-2009, 11:14 PM
It's just like when a customer asks me for the simple and easy way to do leaves :laugh:

There are but so many ways I know of doing it, but ain't none of them easy, unfortunately they all involve work.

grassman177
12-04-2009, 01:01 AM
ok, so where do the trimmings go after theya re sucked into the vac hose for the lw blower? directly into a bag? a truck? not sure how this works totally

McFarland_Lawn_Care
12-04-2009, 06:01 AM
some of you may laugh, but this is the Fastest way I have found. It's old fashioned but works great for me. Go buy several of the plastic 30 gal trash bins with the square tops. The more square the top is, the better. Then grab a regular old lawn rake, lay the bin down on its side, and sweep the clippings straight into it. Then you can stack several in your truck or just empty it and get more. Works good. Good luck!!

yardatwork
12-04-2009, 07:17 AM
I lay old bed sheets down under every shrub I cut then take those sheets and dump them into a garbage can...continue process. No debris in mulch beds, etc. and the clean up part is already taken care of.

grassman177
12-04-2009, 12:15 PM
i used to use a tarp and seems like it got in the way, so we stopped and just blow the beds out now, but a sheet would not stick up like a tarp in the way. good idea, but what about the question about the vac unit some are using. where does the clippings collect

CircleC
12-04-2009, 05:04 PM
I personally use a giant tarp. Rake everything on it and drag it onto a trailer. Its seems a little hard to get every single little boxwood clipping off the ground. I have never had a client complain about a few leaves/twigs left behind. Once done raking a do blow the beds out and mow up any leaves or other debris that wasnt raked.

Question....using the vac are you picking up a lot of mulch/bark from the bed. That does sound like a good idea. Especially if you can just suck everything up without raking.

Tharrell
12-04-2009, 06:01 PM
If you decide to use a vac, checkout craigslist. I got a billygoat for $100.
They're on there pretty regular right now.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-06-2009, 12:42 AM
I have learned I don't have patience for tarps they can be used only in some situations, what if they have annuals all aroundor poolor waterfeature , then if the wind is blowing it is all over the place, I have learned how to trim shrubs more often ,prune faster, clean less, bid less and they end up growing slower because od dencity
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnRunner
12-06-2009, 09:07 AM
If there is plenty of space in between the bushes, I blow the trimmings onto the lawn, rake them onto a tarp and pull the tarp to the woods. When space is limited I rake the trimmings out of the beds instead of blowing.

I trim bushes mostly in the spring and fall and will have my Brinley tow behind lawn vacuum with me to do cleanups. If I do have the vacuum on the trailer I just run my vacuum over them and suck them up. Hope this helps.

XLS
12-06-2009, 05:07 PM
trim weekly and use a blade shield and a 6'x6' tarp to cut trips to the truck just fold in the edges and wrap a string arond it and you have reusable bags small tarps dont blow as bad as bulky tarps.

also the homemade shields we made will hold the twiggs to speed the cleanup but they cant get longer then the 4' height or they may fall over the top of it .
you just trim and sling them on the tarp and repeat .

coolluv
12-06-2009, 05:36 PM
trim weekly and use a blade shield and a 6'x6' tarp to cut trips to the truck just fold in the edges and wrap a string arond it and you have reusable bags small tarps dont blow as bad as bulky tarps.

also the homemade shields we made will hold the twiggs to speed the cleanup but they cant get longer then the 4' height or they may fall over the top of it .
you just trim and sling them on the tarp and repeat .

Post a pic of these shields if you would. I never heard of a blade shield.

Dave...

XLS
12-06-2009, 06:26 PM
its odd
do the serch echo call them debris shields we add a higher back to ours and roll it to a c

XLS
12-06-2009, 06:29 PM
we simply go off the original piece and turn up a back 4'' then turn it again back toward the trimmer itsself to have a back wall and top and it just slide out of the unit .

most companies have a shield of one kind or another.

N.TX
12-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I am having trouble finding the derbis shield ... if anyone can post a link it would be great.

XLS
12-07-2009, 12:16 AM
http://www.echo-usa.com/catalog/?Cat=HC&type=.pdf

look at the hc-225 at the bottom left , it isnt a good pic but it shows it .

Kennedy Landscaping
12-07-2009, 01:06 AM
I let them drop, blow them away, then sweep them into my trash barrel and go. Works fine, maybe not the fastest but its paid for haha

ed2hess
12-07-2009, 05:56 PM
I seldom leave a property with bush trimmings and no I don't blow them into the woods because no such thing as woods in our area. I worked all day today on cutting down dead cannas and lantana that freeze took out. I first cut it down with a hedge trimmer. I rake it up and then use the hedge trimmer to cut it up multiple times using my foot to turn the pile. I rake it again then I use a big trimmer and go into the center of the pile and mulch it into little pieces. When done I could rake it into a bag but normaly I just spread it out. If I had a mower with me I would use it to mulch the stuff down into nothing.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-07-2009, 07:03 PM
http://www.echo-usa.com/catalog/?Cat=HC&type=.pdf

look at the hc-225 at the bottom left , it isnt a good pic but it shows it .
Omg xls you have no idea what Christmas present you just gave me I will probably save 100+ hors on clean ups I just figured out how I can modify that and not have any fall on the ground, I just scetched out prodotype . Problem I have been using nothing but stihl for everything now I am realizing I have# 1 been overpaying # braking back due to weight # 3 not shopping or looking at other brands. Wow I can bid 25% cheaper now.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Omg xls you have no idea what Christmas present you just gave me I will probably save 100+ hors on clean ups I just figured out how I can modify that and not have any fall on the ground, I just scetched out prodotype . Problem I have been using nothing but stihl for everything now I am realizing I have# 1 been overpaying # braking back due to weight # 3 not shopping or looking at other brands. Wow I can bid 25% cheaper now.
Posted via Mobile Device

When you get it figured out let me know. I can't see how it works?

hackitdown
12-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Wow I can bid 25% cheaper now.

You may want to consider holding your price the same, and keeping the money for yourself. Increased productivity = increased profit.

The race to the bottom only ends up in one place.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Best way to cut cannas is with a knife or anything sharp, most states where cannas freeze over they don't come back there is only few verietys that do, if they are not planted deep and not protected by good layer of mulch they don't come back zones 5 a and b and colder, I don't ever mulch any clippings I'm to grass it screws up soil ph and just doesn't look as clean as vacuming it. Anything I cut I try to keep it in one piece easier to load then if I need to I cutit in trailer. I have gotten to the point I don't even use tarps wheelbarrows or garbage cans.
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 02:12 PM
You may want to consider holding your price the same, and keeping the money for yourself. Increased productivity = increased profit.

The race to the bottom only ends up in one place.

I allredy bid higher then I want to my goal is customer retention , I don't like to trim or clean up yard one time and never see customer because there are embaresed to tell me they want cheaper .it allredy come out for me about 75-100 per men per hour, that's why I love maintenance , more you know about plants further away it sets you apart from competition. Feels good when you walking property with customers and some will test you and when you really know what you doing, client knows they will have to pay up. My theory is this labor is just labor, but knoweldge doesn't come with licence, you have to study, learn, test and for education you charge more. That's why doctor and nurse get paid differently , but can do same work.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-08-2009, 02:23 PM
the fastest way i really know to do trimming is cut it fast and blow it out then run a walker around it to bag , they only do this on small area beds so it dont blow mulch out everywhere. if they can hit the debris and it blows out to the lawn easy they do it this away the crews without walkers is as stated above with tarps

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 02:36 PM
If i have long beds that are narrow with mulch I blow clippings parralel with the building , so let's say if bed is 100 ft long instead of contaminating turf with debris 100+ feet I push it all out on one side of building and there is only 100 sqft to clean up and there is only so much mulch out then we rake up large debris and mulch and vacuum rest I hate ruining blades sucking up wooden chips. If we r doing customer next door I blow all **** opposite way so I end up having one pile to clean up, for hard to reach areas I use stihls b85 take all attachments of and get under shrubs with any angle I want, if there are allot of junipers, rosses , spireas I suck up all remains with vacuum to make it spotless
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-08-2009, 02:43 PM
unkownfl i will be glad to post a design pic if you like to get the idea of the hedged trimmer catcher we designed

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I would be glad to see it, you need to start putting some pattens on these things as creative as you are don't let your creations go to waste
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 02:56 PM
I am just thinking once I make one if I atach it to bolts, or make a clip on for times I want to easily rake it off
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
I am just thinking once I make one if I atach it to bolts, or make a clip on for times I want to easily rake it off. What I want to see more then anything is 18 bushell bager and gator setup for walker
Posted via Mobile Device