View Full Version : A little job we just finished

ppl
12-03-2009, 09:48 PM

ppl
12-03-2009, 09:52 PM
why is uploading photos this difficult

tthomass
12-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Is that a fountain in the middle? Nice size project. Is that stone dust along the border?

ppl
12-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Raised planting island
Concrete edge
total project 12500 sq ft
photos will not upload

ppl
12-03-2009, 10:58 PM
more photos

Steiner
12-03-2009, 11:08 PM
trees will die?

ppl
12-03-2009, 11:10 PM
I did not build the rockery

csl
12-03-2009, 11:57 PM
nice work. what part of seattle are you in? i just got back from bothell after thanksgiving. rained like hell all week. its cold in spokane, but not raining, i can handle that. anyway, looks good, wish we had more high end homes going in here too

ppl
12-04-2009, 12:09 AM
we are Kirkland and it has been a wet winter, double the amount of rain fall this year over last. I wish there was more high end home here too or less competition

csl
12-04-2009, 12:32 AM
yeah i here ya. my father in law helps run bodine construction, they are the top drain/sewer outfit over there. he has had some long ass weeks. give me a shout if you come to spokane.

DVS Hardscaper
12-04-2009, 10:12 AM
yeah, the trees I noticed instantly.

I am wondering why the stone work in the center of the driveway is shaped so funky, doesn't really flow?

Stillwater
12-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I most certainly would have kept the pattern straight from garage doors out and past the color transition. Stair placement is to close to the drop off unless some type of railing is planned and the pvc drain pipe should have been routed somewhere else instead of discharging onto the pad causing winter ice and future paver failure. If you plan on filling in those trees they will decline and be dead within 3 years, so I suggest installing a matching Block tree ring incorporating some type of seating and maybe some vertical lighting around the trees, Looks like it might be to late for that. Other than that great craftsmanship.

DVS Hardscaper
12-04-2009, 11:31 AM
What I'm about to write isn't really picking at the job. I'm expressing my opinion primarily to the hardscape industry. I see this stuff often and it urks me!

I agree with the trees. Regardless of whom advised the owner, or whom ultimatey decided to build up around the trees - I feel it's the responsibility of a competent contractor to make it known that this is a big no-no.

See, had I been brought to the dance after the fact - I would advise the homeowner that there is a very likely chance the tree(s) will die, or possibly fall over. And I would then advise that in the event they fall over - the pavers could potentially be up-rooted. Once an owner hears this - an intelligent listener will then either have the trees taken down, in favor of the driveway. Or, they'd ask the contractor to come up with a solution for maintaining the vitality and health of the trees.

This in my opinion, is where we as KNOWLEDGEABLE, COMPETENT, EXPERIENCED contractors must step in and address the issue. If the owner insists on leaving the trees - ok, fine - we then need to try to come up with good ideas and solutions.

Now, ok, I'll be honest. Behind my home the grade is drastically sloped. I have been filling in for 6 years, leveling the area right behind my home. I do have a tree that I have fill soil about 7-feet up past the crown!!! This was done 18-24 months ago. But - I don't care if the tree lives or dies. It's leaning away from the house, so if it falls over, most likely it's going to be ok and not hurt anything.

csl
12-04-2009, 11:42 AM
and... as a competent hardscaper you know how homeowners can be. i did two mutlimillion dollar homes next to each other last year that had a tree ON the property line. the first house put in a second house and the excavation had done a lot of damage to the tree. the homeowner however would not take the tree down, and when we insisted she STARTED TO CRY. TEARS! so we said we couldnt warranty the retaining walls and pavers that were between the house and tree. low and behold a good storm came through, took down the monster tree and we had to rebuild the wall and pavers all to the homeowners cost. not to mention the cost to remove the tree. need less to say the woman was crying for the next 5 days. :cry: this is how homeowners are, nothing surprises me anymore.

Isobel
12-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Agreed homeowners know what they want, and your experience doesn't really mean anything--once their mind is set.

Great job on the project though!

mdlwn1
12-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Those trees are doomed no matter what is done. A tree well wouldn't even suffice. The roots have been covered. overall nice work. The soldier course where they meet at an angles is a bit of a let down though.

4Russl5
12-04-2009, 01:43 PM
The trees would worry me too. 3-5 years will reveal the impact. Plus if they cut the roots on the big cedar.... with the winds we get!
What does your drainage look like. Good project.
You are in a competitive area. Same up here. It seems like everyone owns a shovel, and a truck, and thinks they can be a landscaper.

ppl
12-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I spoke with the builder about the trees, the tree are already incline. He had to leave them there until he finishes, county issues. Some rare wood duck nests in those trees. He plan to remove them once inspection is complete. Down spout have not been installed yet and pvc discharge on the patio at the rear storage area is from a dehumitifier, builder call on that one

ppl
12-04-2009, 02:55 PM
There are no cedars close to this project, I think you are talking about the hemlock on the large nursery stump. We did not run into any root when we did the excavation.

4Russl5
12-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Hemlock... I glanced at the stump with the boughs hanging close. More and more I consider the impact of those two issues with my exposure to liability. A friend of mine is an arborist and gives me all sorts of horror stories from lawsuits in Seattle. I passed on a good sized job this summer because a client wanted a raised dry stone 'bocce court' beneath his cedar grove. It would have killed them all.

kootoomootoo
12-04-2009, 05:13 PM
what thickness are those pavers...

Twitchy
12-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Nice size job, i like the the over all design. The double solder border cuts are real funky though. How wide is the turn heading toward the garage (about 12ft)? I've worked on new home construction sites before, and they were never that messy. There's crap everywhere, that makes me mental. Doesn't anybody use a dumpster.

Stillwater
12-05-2009, 04:26 AM
Nice size job, i like the the over all design. The double solder border cuts are real funky though. How wide is the turn heading toward the garage (about 12ft)? I've worked on new home construction sites before, and they were never that messy. There's crap everywhere, that makes me mental. Doesn't anybody use a dumpster.

So besides the pallets what exactly in these pictures would you put in a dumpster ?

mitchgo
12-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I'm not a hardscaper but that looks extremely good. Judging by the tree's my guess this is in Woodinville or east of?

zedosix
12-06-2009, 01:04 AM
I've yet to see someone do a large scale job and have the finesse to go with it. Over all looks good though. Are you going to cover the concrete stoop with stone or will it remain as it shows.

DVS Hardscaper
12-06-2009, 12:10 PM
I've yet to see someone do a large scale job and have the finesse to go with it.......

Good morning Zedosix,

can you please explain to the class what you mean?

Thanks

And have a great Sunday!

DVS

zedosix
12-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Good morning Zedosix,

can you please explain to the class what you mean?

Thanks

And have a great Sunday!

DVS

Whats to explain Andrew, my point is that very few people can do a large scale job like we see here and take the time to make sure every single detail is perfect. Do I need to explain further?

DVS Hardscaper
12-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Whats to explain Andrew, my point is that very few people can do a large scale job like we see here and take the time to make sure every single detail is perfect. Do I need to explain further?

Thanks for the kind reply Mr. Zedo. Yes, I do believe you're gonna have to explain further, if you don't mind.

Kind Regards,

DVS

Lite4
12-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Beautiful Job! The trees in the front are toast due to root suffocation and compaction, but you already know that. I sure miss the Pacific Northwest, it is truly a beautiful place.