PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Quicks?

born again
12-03-2009, 11:19 PM
This was my first year with my mowing business and i loved it. I have been learning a lot through this webpage and i am very thankful for the time that you take to give out information. I am new to the website and my first question would be about equipment.

What do you guys think about quick mowers... i just need all the info you can give me... thankyou in advance.

JB1
12-03-2009, 11:26 PM
ahh, your talking about mowers, I thought you was talking about quickies.

SW Services
12-05-2009, 09:39 PM
ahh, your talking about mowers, I thought you was talking about quickies.

:laugh::laugh: Excellent!!!!!!!!

kemco
12-06-2009, 12:03 AM
I thought about buying one a few years ago. Talked to the owner of the equip company that services most of my equipment about it. He said biggest problem would be getting parts to get something fixed if something did break. Could put me way behind waiting for parts to be ordered and shipped. So I didnt buy. But I think they at least appear to be pretty good mowers.

born again
12-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Thankyou.... that's what i have been thinking. There is not too many places to go for service or parts.

blakerugg
12-07-2009, 10:43 PM
i have been seriously considering one lately. currently i have a 54 jd tractor and a 21 push. i have READ (not SAID) several times on this site that the only people who really appreciate the quicks are the people stepping up from 21" push mowers. now i'm looking into exmarks and scags, but i havent COMPLETELY forgotten about the quicks, who knows. personally, if i was to buy a quick it'd def be the dually.

blakerugg
12-07-2009, 10:52 PM
just to clarify, what i meant is wht ive heard is that the quicks really cant compare to the big name hydro wb's

Valk
12-08-2009, 02:18 PM
How about considering total mower length...or mower weight coupled with wheel/tire width? If these attributes are important (for any reason) - then a Quick is nearly in a class of its own.

NWALAWNS
12-08-2009, 03:54 PM
I currently have a Quick 32 single hydro that I have used for about a year and a half. It has been an excellent mower. If you get one get the service package for it so if something breaks you can fix it with out being down waiting on a part. I am getting Quick 36 Dually for 2010 and keeping my old 32. I would get the Dually if you can. Only problems I have had with mine have been operator negligence. I broke the hand controls by running it in to things, outside of that I have had no issues with it. As for belts and blades you can get them locally, you don't have to get them from Better Outdoor Products.

born again
12-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Thankyou guys... that helps a bunch.

PTP
12-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I have owned 3 of their machines and I have never had a problem getting parts. It is a good idea to get the service package but unless you cannot wait 2 days, parts are not a problem.

ox6603
12-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm liking mine so far. I got a 36 dually, but only put 8 hours on it this season, it should see more action next year though.

Only thing I don't like is it is hard to get it over curbs
Posted via Mobile Device

Valk
12-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Mine is a single hydro Q32. I mow EVERYTHING with it...no 21 needed. A Q36 would not have fit through several of my customer's gates...am VERY GLAD I took the time to physically measure them all...as I made the right choice for my applications.

All this gobbledygook about these being hard to maneuver is beyond me. I don't tear up the turf when turning...and getting back to work after a rain is facilitated by using a light-weight mower riding on dunebuggy tires. It is a solid machine that leaves a GREAT cut. It will bag grass/leaves and do a superb job...but I side-discharge 95%, mulch 4.9+%, and bag as little as I need to. This year I bagged one lawn twice (Fall leaves)...that's it! ALL other leaf jobs were mulched. We get plenty of leaves here...but if you mow over virtually anything 2-3 times...it's gone.

Any parts issues are/were professionally dealt with by BOP's crew who are there to help. The videos they have online show you how to fix your issue. The mower is VERY easy to work on...very straight forward...very easy to maintain.

For my regional grasses (fescue, KBG, zoysia, bermuda) I found that Oregon blades with the single notch in the wing do the best job of clipping dispersal. When the Fall leaves are thick AND DRY - I use Gators.

Because I choose to be self-contained (no trailer) in a small pickup truck...this is THE perfect mower for me. IMO, all other 32" mowers are either too heavy and/or are too long. My Q32 is powerful & manueverable - and my lawns receive the professional look they deserve.
$0.02 // YMMV

lifetree
12-09-2009, 08:55 PM
... As for belts and blades you can get them locally, you don't have to get them from Better Outdoor Products.

That's right ... BOP uses industry standard parts on their machines, therefore, you can get them at any equipment parts store !! As such, you should go ahead and get the 36" Dually Samurai, it's a very good machine.

lifetree
12-09-2009, 09:00 PM
... Only thing I don't like is it is hard to get it over curbs

Getting the Quick machines over a curb was an issue for me to ... so I just made some small 10" curb ramps out of some extra pieces of wood that I had and now it's a piece of cake !!

bryant lawn & landscape
12-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I've had three Quicks. I've never had problems getting parts. In fact, I usually get parts "quicker" from them than my local dealer. I usually keep spare cables, belts, blades etc. handy anyway, as I would for any mower, but in a pinch, I've had BOP parts on my doorstep the very next day. Their customer service is second to none. Bottom line is this: most everyone who has anything bad to say about Quicks either don't own one, have never seen one in person, or are trying to sell you something. Do a search on Quick 36 or Better Outdoor Products and you'll have plenty to read for the next few months.

brocklee
12-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Just bought the Dually 32 a few months ago and I love it. Have only used it a little so far as I got it late in the season, but I am very pleased with it. I checked on all of the other brands and compared for months, new and used, and ended up with a new dually 32.

f50lvr2
12-23-2009, 10:40 PM
I replaced a name brand 36" gear drive with a BOP 36" dually...one of the best moves I have made.

I was skeptical before ordering but have been pleasantly surprised. Excellent cut quality, effortless to run, mulches pretty well, light weight, good after rains, small on trailer, easy on fuel, easy to adjust deck height.

Negatives are availability of parts, although I haven't had any problems yet, deck can clog quickly in wet grass when mulching (due to shallow deck height), and some of the components and hardware look like they might not hold up well but could easily be replaced by gr. 8 stuff from a hardware store.

I would recommend them, and I'll be buying another one for next year!

lifetree
12-23-2009, 10:51 PM
... customer service is second to none. Bottom line is this: most everyone who has anything bad to say about Quicks either don't own one, have never seen one in person, or are trying to sell you something. ...

I agree 100 % with the bottom line here !!

Yater
12-26-2009, 07:50 PM
I agree 100 % with the bottom line here !!

I owned a 36 ninja single hydro. I'll replace it this year with a 36 metro...and add a 52" WB with sulky for the big stuff.

born again
12-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Thank you for your help.... i'll keep all of it in mind.

JawZZ
12-28-2009, 11:12 PM
I replaced a name brand 36" gear drive with a BOP 36" dually...one of the best moves I have made.

I was skeptical before ordering but have been pleasantly surprised. Excellent cut quality, effortless to run, mulches pretty well, light weight, good after rains, small on trailer, easy on fuel, easy to adjust deck height.

Negatives are availability of parts, although I haven't had any problems yet, deck can clog quickly in wet grass when mulching (due to shallow deck height)

Not just mulching, side discharge is just as bad in wet grass, the deck is clogged up before I can complete a full pass.

Valk
12-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Just my .02 when side-discharging wet grass with my Q32:

-Blades with a single-notch in the wing work best and clog less.
BOP used to sell single-notch Oregon blades...not sure if they still do.

-The factory hi-lifts clog more - the clippings remain long & are not dispersed
as efficiently.

My theory is that the notch helps to recut the clippings without over-juicing them...and they then disperse faster and better than longer clippings.

Frankly, I find the single-notch blades superior - except when mowing really tall grass.

Turning down the RPMs some will also help in wetter conditions.

Forget about using gatorblades - unless you have bone-dry conditions and a lot of leaves to deal with.

JawZZ
12-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Just my .02 when side-discharging wet grass with my Q32:

-Blades with a single-notch in the wing work best and clog less.
BOP used to sell single-notch Oregon blades...not sure if they still do.

-The factory hi-lifts clog more - the clippings remain long & are not dispersed
as efficiently.

My theory is that the notch helps to recut the clippings without over-juicing them...and they then disperse faster and better than longer clippings.

Frankly, I find the single-notch blades superior - except when mowing really tall grass.

Turning down the RPMs some will also help in wetter conditions.

Forget about using gatorblades - unless you have bone-dry conditions and a lot of leaves to deal with.

Thanks for the information will give it a try.