PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way to market with very low budget.

A1Lawns
12-04-2009, 03:05 AM
I have 20,000 ads (5 1/2 x 8 1/2 postcards) ready to go out for next Spring. I realize I am halfway there as far as a major marketing campaign goes BUT right now, funds are low and there is no way I could afford to pay to have these mailed, even in bulk.

My question is this.....aside from the overly discussed "throwing ads in plastic bags with rocks in them" talk, what can I use to attach my ads to throw them on drives or next to mailboxes?
I understand some of you don't like this idea. Fine. Then don't waste my time by responding with a negative attitude because I'm not hearing it. Don't care if you don't like the idea. Just want to hear from people who are willing to help.
Anyways, frisbees seem to be a good idea but are too expensive.
Cmon guys, help me out here. Need some creative ideas.

Thanks

A1Lawns
12-04-2009, 04:27 AM
I love this site because of its creativity.
Give me some of this guys....

MarcSmith
12-04-2009, 08:48 AM
If you have areas with Home owners associations... and they put out newsletters. Place an ad in their news letters. or better yet. place and "ad" but have it be an informative article about lawn care, fert, trimming, ect... with you name and number at the bottom for "consultation"...

usually pretty cheap....usually black/white but very simple and very targeted...

once you find the prop management companies you can start placing the ads regular in all their news letters...

Lazer Cut
12-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I have about 10,000 post cards/flyers... looking to find a better way to give out also... would a customer even look inside a plastic bag on their drive way? I think they would pick it up and be more interested in it than another flyer on their mailbox... would be nice to hear what the guys have for advice...

RLS24
12-04-2009, 05:50 PM
I did about 3,000 fliers last year, and I got 3 phone calls, and 1 lawn out of it. I'm not even gonna bother doing them this year, but when I did them last year i got a few friends together, and get walking the neighborhoods and take them to a bar for a few beers after.

Barefoot James
12-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Attach to American Flags and stick in ground - logoed fresbee is a great idea!
Hire kids on bikes on craigslist - I pay 7 cents per card

kemco
12-06-2009, 12:00 AM
I have 20,000 ads (5 1/2 x 8 1/2 postcards) ready to go out for next Spring. I realize I am halfway there as far as a major marketing campaign goes BUT right now, funds are low and there is no way I could afford to pay to have these mailed, even in bulk.

My question is this.....aside from the overly discussed "throwing ads in plastic bags with rocks in them" talk, what can I use to attach my ads to throw them on drives or next to mailboxes?
I understand some of you don't like this idea. Fine. Then don't waste my time by responding with a negative attitude because I'm not hearing it. Don't care if you don't like the idea. Just want to hear from people who are willing to help.

Thanks

That's exactly what's been working for us for years. Yes, I know it is almost taboo to mention marketing that way, but it works. We put out about 4000 a year for lawn mowing about 2 months before the season really starts. We get on average 2 complaints. We get somewhere around 30-40 new accounts just from that per year. You can call my numbers BS but they are true. I've always been a stickler about knowing where my $ is going when marketing, and knowing my numbers. We have mailed before but get a much smaller new account rate. Dont really know why, but it works for us.

RigglePLC
12-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Can you cut them off till round? Sail them like cardboard frisbies.
Or Maybe glue a rock, ball point pen or small weight to each one.
Or...How is this...plastic bag with tulip bulb or large flower seed in each one, (or glue same to card).
Really there is no substitute for hand delivery. Maybe there is a school class or band group that wants to make some money. Get 30 kids together on a Saturday. You supervise and cover a major neighborhood fully. Say 50 streets.
I hope it works--in any case.

silverado212
12-06-2009, 09:42 PM
I am looking for the same answer. Sent out 200 postcards this fall for leaf removal and to get my name out there in areas I want to get into. Not one call. 3 were returned due to no one living there and one was stamped return to sender.

Barefoot James
12-06-2009, 10:59 PM
200:rolleyes:

ox6603
12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
plaster them all over your body and run naked through the streets... Seriously

As with most people I think it makes you look like a hack. The only good way to do it would be to attach it to something they will remember. (like your naked body) I would be hard pressed to come up with a memorable "paperweight" that is cheaper than postage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Juan91
12-08-2009, 01:01 PM
word of mouth gores a long way, i always use craigslist as well, for flyers, i put on their mailbox's about 5 mintues after the mailman goes by so i make sure the people will get them :)....besides that, always offer discounts for referrals....

kemco
12-08-2009, 01:56 PM
word of mouth gores a long way, i always use craigslist as well, for flyers, i put on their mailbox's about 5 mintues after the mailman goes by so i make sure the people will get them :)....besides that, always offer discounts for referrals....

We did that same thing a number of years ago and got a rather nasty call from the postmaster. He informed me that the mailbox is property of the federal goverment and against the law to put anything on or in the mailbox unless it is a piece of mail with a stamp or cleared stamp on it. Also let me know about the heafty fine as well as charging me a regular postage stamp for each and every flier I put on the mailbox should we do it again. It wasnt just a homeowner calling to scare us. It was the postal service.

Tharrell
12-09-2009, 08:36 PM
I know everyone says that mailboxes are federal property but, I had to buy a new one when a dumbass ran over mine. Can I bill the post office for that?
The federal government can kiss my white a$$. Federal anything smells bad to me. Tony
ps Can someone send this to the white house for me, I thrive on confrontation.

Grasshopper49
12-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Not being negative, but I feel (as a homeowner) that if the business owner doesn't think enough of an offering by just throwing it in my drive or lawn, it can't be that important, no matter how nice it looks.

I would suggest (as someone else did) to walk the neighborhood. I have never used friends, (but great idea) but I have driven and walked zillions of neighborhoods distributing my post cards/flyers etc., and that has worked well. Most of these things still end up in the garbage, but we have lots of people dropping flyers in paper bages with stones to weight them down. Someone else tried candy...but how many people would eat that, not knowing where it came from?

I tried mailing 3,000 oversized post cards and got nothing, but feel I did it at the wrong time of year, which was July, when I started my business. I think a nice mailing in Feb with a follow up a few weeks later would be more effective. But, the cost is so high, I doubt I will try that again.

many of the subdivisions around here have newspaper holders. You can walk around and put your cards in those (great exercise and nothing else to do in the winter), plus, it give you a chance to talk to people outside. I don't sell any service, just hand them a card, introduce myself, and apologize for the interruption. You would not believe how many people will start talking to you, if you present yourself correctly.

Flyers/cards should like nice, but do not have to be high quality. I would rather spend the same amount of money and have more flyers to distribute. My stuff looks nice. Not as nice as the post card, but still looks professional, and is just Black print on green paper.

Try different things. Some things will work better than others, and timing is important too.

Oh yea, I also put a code on each flyer. This way when someone calls you can ask for the code, and you will know what flyer they are looking at, and have a better idea what is working. I am amazed how long some people hold onto my flyers. Pretty is good, but the message is more important.

Good luck!

pararest
12-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Hand Deliver ......

Put your wife or girlfriend in charge of getting them distributed..... its gets her involved and allows her to get great exercise :laugh:

Micah Owner
Paradise Restored Landscaping
Portland Landscaping (http://www.paradiserestored.com)
Portland Irrigation Installer (http://www.paradiserestored.com/sprinklers.html)

XLS
12-12-2009, 02:40 PM
1 deliverly system would be a simple rubber band punch a hol in the card run a rubberband through the hole then run it back throught the band to pull tight them stretch it over the door knob , or hand deliver/

ChaseLandscapes
12-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Word of mouth is your best advertising..
We just had 10,000 postcards printed up. 5000 will go out within the next week or so, the other 5000 will go out between end of Jan early Feb. The feedback has been fantastic.
Professional Post cards (Full color UV Stock 12pt, with coupons) really go a long way.

ChaseLandscapes
12-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Forgot to mention www.Tangoprint.com
5000 UV coated, full color double sided postcards $119
This is the best form of paper advertisment that has proven results..

and no, im not getting any kick-backs from Tangoprint, they just have the best price for the quality.

"Don't be the common Joe with the tired old unprofessional paper flyer that ends up in the sh*t-can."

dolor
12-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I can't do the Bag/rock/ postcard here due to the Texas Litter Abatement Act. They charge you by the piece for the number they pick up plus the fine. There is also a nice $50 reward for turning someone in.;) It is the least costly way to distribute where it is legal and may be the only economical way if your housing density is too low to put them in the front door crack. As far as a delivery method pretty rocks are the least expensive gime I'm aware of and bags keep the water off the cards. You might think about splitting your cards into two distributions to the same houses. Repetition increases conversion rates and it will keep your route tighter. Think about lead capture and fulfillment. How many yards can you estimate per day? week? This method has a 1-1.4% response rate (your mileage may vary). That's 200 - 280 calls on 20,000 cards. You may not want to put them all out at once and get 200 phone calls the next morning.

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-12-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm looking into 10-20,000 this year as well. I plan to put out 5000 then re-hit the same houses 1-4 more times throught the year. Depending on the responce will determine how many times I hang them

Paradise Landscapes
12-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Here's my plan. . .
Make my own Fliers. Using Exel, I am making 3-in-1 Fliers. (They require 2 cuts to get 3)
Pay per 1000? Just have 2000 more for the price of 1000! I plan on taping the top of the flier to doors.

ChaseLandscapes
12-12-2009, 07:49 PM
I'll take 200 phone calls the next morning any day of the week..keep them comming.!

GreenPro7
12-12-2009, 08:36 PM
ok, you ask for advice on this. I have been in this business 25 years and to give you a honest answer, don't throw them in the driveway. I know it's faster and so on, but when you do this alot of people think "if they are to lazy to hang it on my door then what kind of job can I expect from this company? Get yourself several teenagers, friends or family, have a plan, target the areas you want to cover in the right time frame. You can have them out within 2 weeks if done right.Hope this gives you or anyone reading this a good thought or idea!:clapping:

MarcSmith
12-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Here's my plan. . .
Make my own Fliers. Using Exel, I am making 3-in-1 Fliers. (They require 2 cuts to get 3)
Pay per 1000? Just have 2000 more for the price of 1000! I plan on taping the top of the flier to doors.

Just make sure you use Blue Painters tape....hate for your tape to pull paint off a door...

XLS
12-12-2009, 11:02 PM
i cant see how tape is any faster then just rubber bands why not do rubber bands and walk away. i see a guy standing at a door with a card and a roll of tape
and if so the tape will be aggervating at best .

Paradise Landscapes
12-13-2009, 12:26 AM
Just make sure you use Blue Painters tape....hate for your tape to pull paint off a door...

Masking tape works. Clear tape on glass.

I put tape on flier as I walk up. put on the door, done. I'm using printer paper, not card stock.

XLS
12-13-2009, 02:06 AM
paradise i see your delivery method as a good system but what do you do about spring winds? the rubber band is slip over the knob and go if the wind blows it is absorbed int the band what keeps your piece from blowing off over the day?

ox6603
12-13-2009, 06:41 AM
If somebody taped something to my house I would be pissed. It will either tear leaving pieces behind, bring paint with it, leave a residue, or some combination of the 3... bad idea. That's right up there with flyering parking lots, there's nothing more aggravating then coming to your car after shopping, getting in to leave and then having to get back out to remove some *******'s flyer.

I think XLS wins this thread
Posted via Mobile Device

Paradise Landscapes
12-13-2009, 08:35 AM
How much are those rubber bands?
Where to get them?
What size?

I now see some points why not to use them. The tape I use don't leave any adhesive behind. It's strong enough not to break in high winds.

JFGauvreau
12-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Here's my plan. . .

I was thinking about doing that also, but for me it would be one piece of paper for 1 flyer, I would not cut them, but even tho, if you print 1000 flyer's from your own printer in color, I'm not sure how much you would spend on ink cartridge, and of course the paper quality will not be the same. But I've seen small companies around here that did that you just said, cut the paper in 3 so you save money, and I guess it works especially if its your first year trying to save some money.

zturncutter
12-13-2009, 10:43 AM
How much are those rubber bands?
Where to get them?
What size?

I now see some points why not to use them. The tape I use don't leave any adhesive behind. It's strong enough not to break in high winds.

Any of the office supply stores like Staples or Office Depot, also Walmart sells them in the office supply section. They are in bags of different quantities and sizes.

Paradise Landscapes
12-13-2009, 12:21 PM
I was thinking about doing that also, but for me it would be one piece of paper for 1 flyer, I would not cut them, but even tho, if you print 1000 flyer's from your own printer in color, I'm not sure how much you would spend on ink cartridge, and of course the paper quality will not be the same. But I've seen small companies around here that did that you just said, cut the paper in 3 so you save money, and I guess it works especially if its your first year trying to save some money.

Ok yes I make my own. > I make master copies and have a printing company copy them and cut them. A vocational School with a graphic arts program is perfect! I'm not paying &&&&&&for this.

You can also make 2-in-1 fliers to put more info than 3-in-1's.

PM me your Email address and I'll send them to you.

XLS
12-13-2009, 12:26 PM
JFG it is cheaper to print your own simple prints as long as you make them fit your standards we have used heavy stock paper and rubber bands several times

we can print them at about .01 each like your we can print 200 sheets of stock from one color cartridge so you would get close to 500-600 for a 25.00 cartridge(your cost) .04-05 so at retail it isnt bad and if you design it with a line it is simple to use a paper cutter to cut them straight . i also recomend the half page over 3-1 so it dont look like a book mark

The rubber bands , is this a trick question j/k we get them in a bag from wally world or office depot i would guess between 100-300 never counted we used blue so it dont look like the regular cheap-o bands cost like 2.00 not real sure anymore

i have personally tried every delivery method out there in 10 years and i have had homeowners and hoa's call insisting that we wash windows due to the sticky come spring when it becomes a brown dot of dust . just my thoughts

also just so you know you can print custom ink pens for $ 300 you can get 2000 pens and it looks very profesional to walk up and offer a pen for each major season changes .
these are nice pens with metal hardware in our lime color not a cheap bic

ours say extreme lawn care and the phone # other side it says '' FULL SERVICE LAWN CARE starting at $3.00 per k $25.00 minimum
thank you call 24/ 7

XLS
12-13-2009, 12:33 PM
paradise no shame i making your own if it is professional by your standars it is fine
no shame in it

we have a in house graphic designer and he designs all the layouts we use and then we print all prints to 1000 and then go to the print shop for those big prints.

the biggest benifit of printing things your self is the money savings , we have never wasted prints because we got a shipment of 2000 flyers but i have on the 5k orders, they get messed up one way or another before that can be put out .

now i can give a location a deck of 50 business cards and they can keep this low volume of papers safe untill it is used go figure .

we generally order $2000.00 of flyers for the services we order at the first of the year then we ship them to each of our locations for distribution in controlled numbers as needed.

JFGauvreau
12-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Well thx everyone for the tip, I will probably do that to save some money, i'll try different type of paper to see which one is the best.

RigglePLC
12-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Flyers--average only a little above 1 percent calls. Yuck. It costs about $80 to sign up a new customer.
There is another good way to market (provided you do a good job) Referrals.
Ask your customers to refer a neighbor or relative, any time you talk to them. Ask them to refer another person in written communication. Every written communication--and on your business card. Offer a reward. Say $20 for a referral to a person who just agrees to an estimate. A free application (limit $50) if they refer someone who is sold. You can also have special promotions. For instance on Mother's Day-any customer's mother gets a free application, if they call with her name and address. If you are a good salesman--you will sign up the mother. Son is happy--mother is happy. And next month--Father's Day. And all year brother and sisters have birthdays. And then neighbor's day(which results in tighter routes. )

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-13-2009, 08:54 PM
The biggest problem with printing your own is time. I got a nice printer and man to crank out 2000 fliers, well you better have nothing but time to sit. Reload paper. Reload ink and paper. And on and on. We design our own then send it out for print

XLS
12-13-2009, 09:06 PM
ck it is just easier if you need over a small number no doubt,

ChaseLandscapes
12-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Flyers--average only a little above 1 percent calls. Yuck. It costs about $80 to sign up a new customer.
There is another good way to market (provided you do a good job) Referrals.
Ask your customers to refer a neighbor or relative, any time you talk to them. Ask them to refer another person in written communication. Every written communication--and on your business card. Offer a reward. Say $20 for a referral to a person who just agrees to an estimate. A free application (limit $50) if they refer someone who is sold. You can also have special promotions. For instance on Mother's Day-any customer's mother gets a free application, if they call with her name and address. If you are a good salesman--you will sign up the mother. Son is happy--mother is happy. And next month--Father's Day. And all year brother and sisters have birthdays. And then neighbor's day(which results in tighter routes. )

I disagree with the quote of having only a litte above 1% return phone calls.
With the add that we run 5K postcards landed us 38 weekly seasonal contracts, hardscaping jobs, and countless phone calls (hundreds). Like I've said before, dont be the common Joe with the unattractive paper flyers. Give em something with meat that they'll throw in the drawer and dwell on...Fuel for the fire.
We are fortunate to have an in-house graphic designer..as for the printing, we almost have it down to a science...

"There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else."

Barefoot James
12-13-2009, 09:52 PM
This thread is killing me. Reading about some of your suggestions is just wrong, wrong, wrong. Bottom line is if you can't spend $200 (or more) for marketing materials in 2010 then you really should not be working for yourselves. You need to work for somebody that will control you and what you do each day. cutting up a paper into three ads? Please........

Here is a tip! Use the on line design feature (FREE) on these sites or design your own or hire/barter with a real graphic design guy.

www.nextdayflyers.com
www.tangoprint.com
www.overnightprints.com

I can get 5000 4x6 full color two sided UV protected postcards for under 5 cents each - this includes shipping.

Worst case get 10,000 business cards printed and use those. 8.5x11 color paper with black ink may work but full color is much more professional and CHEAPER!
These are professional and can handle getting rained on/wet and minimize blowing out of a paper boxes.

Please stop with the "type up something and get them copied and tie a rock to them and throw them in the drive" suggestions - that is just pitiful advice for newbies and if you are having success with this then you re lucky and I bet you also don't pay taxes, insurance, etc and still probably clear just enough to pay your bills - I'm talking the lucky successful ones here - few and far between.

Newbies - do yourself a favor and follow my advice at least you will have a professional looking card - something to be proud of and it is up to you to get them delivered and do quality work, when you gt the jobs.

XLS
12-13-2009, 10:05 PM
you guys i just found a website i found its has a condom it has you name on it and can say anything you want , their printed one says roys cars if anyones going to fu** you , its better to be safe . i wish i know how to post it

Paradise Landscapes
12-13-2009, 10:25 PM
cutting up a paper into three ads?

It's giving you more ads. Isn't any different that getting a direct mail packet of different fliers. I can't see using a full sheet per flier when you can atleast have it cut twice to double up on ads. It's a waste to me.

Say, 2000 fliers for every 1000 made. Thats' 1000 more peole reached. Atleast I'm trying to save the trees too!

I don't cut the paper, my printers do, be it the local Vocational school or Staples.

Barefoot,
How much do you spend on 5K cards?

MikeTA95
12-13-2009, 10:39 PM
My idea is a little different - Definitely affordable. Throughout the season / off season I've written down addresses of the nicer homes on the blocks of the streets in the neighborhoods I want to work in. I've also noted the homes that are in prime, very visible places in these neighborhoods. I'm in the process of typing up a nice letter, I keep editing it over and over to make it perfect. It will explain basically that I am a new landscaper, I want to get my name out there, I want to have some new customers, I want to impress these people and I feel like I can do so by maintaining your property. Explain that your utmost attention will be put forth on their property and that you are more than capable and experienced to meet their demands. Explain how this opening of the new business means it's vital they receive the best possible service in the area to build my reputation. Also, I'm going to offer a discount for recommendations, signing up early, and for allowing me to place a sign in their front yard. I also might offer an incentive, like some sort of money back thing if they are unsatisfied with my work after a certain period. I think I'd be more impressed with a well written letter from someone who came off as a hard working professional who was taking this very, very seriously. That most definitely outweighs the impact of a post card or flier, so long as they read the letter. You could probably buy one pack of expensive paper, a box of nice envelopes, and type up maybe 100 letters, and I bet the amount of responses per page handed out will make all the time spent on the off season researching and typing them all up worth while. Best of all - you get to choose who you want to work for. I've handed out fliers before, and I always seem to get the worst house on the block. Why? I don't know, I think fliers or anything placed outside just looks cheap. I'm determined to get the higher grade customer who wants work done constantly. So, a classier customer wants a classier approach when it comes to advertising, at least that's my theory. I'll let you guys know how it goes for me.

XLS
12-13-2009, 10:40 PM
guys the simple truth a guy with a pen and a 3'' wide tablet can hand write a'' as evaluated'' quick quote and find work if he is a salesman if he is a solicitor reguardless your thoughts on it, the public looks down on it. good luck on you many endeavors .

zturncutter
12-13-2009, 10:56 PM
This thread is killing me. Reading about some of your suggestions is just wrong, wrong, wrong. Bottom line is if you can't spend $200 (or more) for marketing materials in 2010 then you really should not be working for yourselves. You need to work for somebody that will control you and what you do each day. cutting up a paper into three ads? Please........

Here is a tip! Use the on line design feature (FREE) on these sites or design your own or hire/barter with a real graphic design guy.

www.nextdayflyers.com
www.tangoprint.com
www.overnightprints.com

I can get 5000 4x6 full color two sided UV protected postcards for under 5 cents each - this includes shipping.

Worst case get 10,000 business cards printed and use those. 8.5x11 color paper with black ink may work but full color is much more professional and CHEAPER!
These are professional and can handle getting rained on/wet and minimize blowing out of a paper boxes.

Please stop with the "type up something and get them copied and tie a rock to them and throw them in the drive" suggestions - that is just pitiful advice for newbies and if you are having success with this then you re lucky and I bet you also don't pay taxes, insurance, etc and still probably clear just enough to pay your bills - I'm talking the lucky successful ones here - few and far between.

Newbies - do yourself a favor and follow my advice at least you will have a professional looking card - something to be proud of and it is up to you to get them delivered and do quality work, when you gt the jobs.

You tried but is anyone listening ? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Perhaps a lettered condom with a rock in it.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-13-2009, 11:07 PM
I sent out 10,000 flyers in the paper last year... 2 calls, both people that had lawn service looking for cheaper price. $700. Zero return. It was pretty cool.

I owe half of the business I have to a store in a nice area. Try asking a local store owner to give out or hang up your flyer.

Its hard to do the hand delivery in the rural areas because you have to go to far onto peoples property to leave your stuff, too intrusive. It would be fine for the little town-house areas but they're few and far between around here.

Barefoot James
12-14-2009, 12:09 AM
I can get 5000 4x6 full color two sided UV protected postcards for under 5 cents each - this includes shipping

Save trees and look cheap - LOL - I'm sure you really are concerned with trees - it is COST you should be concerned about - your flyers saving trees is ... just... what ever save a tree, if that is what you are really thinking about and your reasoning then .... I'm at a loss of words.

Barefoot James
12-14-2009, 12:17 AM
You tried but is anyone listening ? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Perhaps a lettered condom with a rock in it.

I feel like hitting myself in the head with a rock from lowering my IQ with time spent on this thread.

I'm out.....

Hook Lawn & Landscape
12-14-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm going to say this can be a pain in the a$$. I have stuck flyers in mailboxes to only recieve letters from the post office saying i will be fined if i do it again. In or on the mailboxes are not ok. The only other thing that works is door to door. Or target a higher end community with garage doors, two guys in one truck and have your passenger stick them in the garage door. I have had more success marketing an ad at 15-20% off for the services I'm offering. Try that and see if you have a higher turn-out rate then just saying you provide these services. Good Luck

MarcSmith
12-14-2009, 10:56 AM
If you have HOA's You are misisng the boat by not using the HOA newsletters

every week I get countless amounts of junk mail, direct mail flyers, the value pack envelopes with flyers, door hangers, business cards stuck in my door, baggies with rocks on my drive way. They get a cursory glance as i drop them in recycle bin. But I always read through my HOA newsletter. which means a better chance of being kept around longer sitting in the coffee table ect.

BRENTMAN
12-15-2009, 01:26 AM
I feel like hitting myself in the head with a rock from lowering my IQ with time spent on this thread.

I'm out.....

My god I was just thinking the same thing.

Paradise Landscapes
12-15-2009, 02:49 PM
I can get 5000 4x6 full color two sided UV protected postcards for under 5 cents each - this includes shipping

Save trees and look cheap - LOL - I'm sure you really are concerned with trees - it is COST you should be concerned about - your flyers saving trees is ... just... what ever save a tree, if that is what you are really thinking about and your reasoning then .... I'm at a loss of words.

I see your point. I checked out a site you posted. Those are reasonable. 5,000 for 250? Not bad at all!
I would like to thank you for posting those sites for me. I'll definately try those! Not being sarcatstic or anything. Just want to thank you.

corey4671
12-23-2009, 10:52 PM
1 deliverly system would be a simple rubber band punch a hol in the card run a rubberband through the hole then run it back throught the band to pull tight them stretch it over the door knob , or hand deliver/

exactly what I do only I'm going to add something this year...although it'll add some time to the process. I intend to number every card and price the job while I am there. Then have a spiral notebook with the corresponding number and price written down. When the customer calls I'll ask for the card number and make sure the price matches up to what I have written down. That way no funny business of customers swapping cards around on me. Yeah it'll take a little time, but as was said above...it's winter. What else I got to do?

XLS
12-24-2009, 12:01 AM
corey ...........we do it the same way to prevent them from taking a card that was in one complex that has one price over to a higher priced complex and saying we got a card for a 50.00 mowing to arrive there and go what the hell no way .

we had a lady pass her card to her mom and it was a 25.00 card and the mom called us gave us a complex name we serviced i had the approprite crew go out to get an urgent message . it was a 65.00 lawn with a 25.00 card , we questioned the flyers they handed out then we ask the lady where she got it , she was honest and we was too ........it cost $65.00 for this size property ,she said ok and we have done her ever since.

you will eliminate having to do a generic fit everyone flyer and turn it into a on site estimate on your estimae print things like services avalible mulching ,mowing ,beds,and bushes have a line to actually price those items on the spot and when the home owner sees it , they may not want a mowing but want the mulch done , then you can up sale by going well sir we dont really do mulch with out trimming it out first to help keep you mulch neat longer. if you opt to do them both at the same visit it can save you xx $

tinman
12-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Grass seed to put in bag to throw or ink pen

commercialnetinc
12-29-2009, 10:16 AM
If you're going to create a residential flyer...

Step 1. Professionalism counts. Hire a pro, or use a professional template for your flyer. Regardless of price, don't skimp on professional appearances.

Step 2. Don't just use a flyer tell people you mow lawns. Add a "call-to-action" on the flyer. A good call-to-action would be to direct people to your Website to complete a form if they would like to receive a "no-pressure quote with 60-day guaranteed pricing". Make sure you set up a form on your Website specifically for this campaign to receive client contact information so that you can return the quote.

If you can't set up a form on your Website, then add a quote request form on your flyer. Do this by using the using the top-half of the flyer as your promotional area and the bottom-half as your form that consumers can complete (with a pen) and fax to you.

(NOTE: If they have any interest whatsoever, people will do what you tell them. If you do not introduce a call-to-action in your campaign, they will zombie-out and not take that next step. A call-to-action quote request form gives people a "next step" to take that is neither difficult or intrusive, nor is it obligating them to anything, so they remain in their comfort zone.)

Step 3. If you are so-inclined, make the back of your flyer something that people can use and keep. For example, work-out a deal with local nurseries and landscape supply stores so that they will allow you to add a few of their coupons to your flyer. They should be able to provide you with a hi-res JPEG or PNG image to add. If you can't make that happen, then go to locally-own restaurants, furniture store, antiques shop, computer resellers, coffee houses/cafes, pizza joints, etc. and ask them if you can partner with them to add coupons to your flyer.

ALTERNATE: You can actually ask local businesses to provide you with handfuls of already-printed coupons. Most locally-owned businesses are in the same boat as you and don't have big budgets to mail thousands of coupons. Create your own personal coupon pack and offer the pack IF homeowners call you for the free quote. You could also pre-insert the coupons in your flyer bag (see below) as a good-will gesture.

Step 4. Print and deliver your flyers. Be aware of litter and postal laws. The most professional way to deliver flyers is the bag-and-hang method (on door-knobs).

NOTE: Many small business owners would be willing to "chip-in" (with cash) to have you deliver their coupons through your door-to-door campaign. This alone could pay for the cost of printing your flyers and/or the teens you hire to canvas neighborhoods and hang them.

SOMETHING ELSE YOU CAN DO THAT IS A BIT MORE CREATIVE

Statistically, a large portion of insured families who visit pediatricians, dentists, and family practitioners are homeowners. Everyone needs something to do while they wait to be called.

Option 1. Download or create coloring and activity sheets for kids. Print these to standard 8.5" x 11" sheets of 24lb bond (sturdy) paper. Add your own company's coupon to them, but leave room for the medical practitioner's offer to run your sheets through their laser printers to add their own "brand" to it if they desire. Then, go online to a place like http://www.pospaper.com/restaurantcrayon.html?gclid=CJv16YDn-54CFQeenAodch64LQ#0 and order bulk crayons. You can order 500 packs of four crayons for roughly $50. Deliver them to every medical practice in your area.

Option 2. Create a landscaping "fact sheet" for adults with landscaping-related trivia, puzzles, and useful information on it. Add your coupon or a "referral rewards" gift certificate to it. Fact-sheets are more likely to be kept if they are truly useful.

Make a deal with the owner of whichever practice you visit that you will provide him or her with 1/2-price mowing (...and JUST MOWING) if they allow you to distribute your activity sheets through their offices. You'll break-even on the mow job, but that's fine. It's cheaper than paying for advertising, and you'll be hitting the right target market.

NOTE: Activity sheets can also be left at most locally-own coffee houses and cafes. In fact, many owners of these establishments welcome anything that will entertain their customers. Ask owners if you can leave a stack of 50 or so activity sheets for their guests. You could also sweeten the deal by adding customizing activity sheet to the coffee shot prior to dropping them off (as you could with medical practices).

These suggestions take effort to implement. If you aren't creative enough to put any of these plans together, then I suggest you invest some money into the future success of your business starting today by hiring a professional who knows how to put such campaigns together.

Just my two-cents for what it's worth.

-Robert-

_

commercialnetinc
12-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Here's another idea that is smart and ridiculously simple.

Turn the entire world into your sales force. Print-up a bunch of "Referral Reward Coupon Cards" that offer the bearer a coupon rate for redeeming the card for a mow (or whatever). Add a line to the card so that the "distributor" or "affiliate" can enter their I.D. code or name. (Obviously, you have this person on file.) Give tons of these cards to anyone and everyone you know, especially high school and college kids. Offer your distributors/affiliates a prize (such as a $50 iTunes card) for "X" number of cards redeemed to you with an affiliate's name on it.

ALTERNATE: There are hundreds upon hundreds of real estate agents in your area (no matter where you live). Each one of those agents has a long list of prospects and clients with whom they need to "keep in touch" (called "touch marketing"). Unfortunately, most of these agents just call their clients and prospects repeatedly for referrals, so they need something else to help them reach-out to their clients and prospect. Give your coupon cards to as many agents as possible so that they can offer a benefit to their market. Provide a "goody" to the agents in the same way as above ("X" number of redeemed cards equals a prize). As long as the prize given to the agent is not associated with the sale of property in which you were involved as a vendor, you'll avoid both legal and ethical liabilities.

If you haven't noticed, this technique allows you to use other to reach-out their warm market, so you have instant credibility as a third-party referral. Your prospects win because they receive an instant discount, your distributors/affiliates win because they can offer value and receive a reward. You win because you are working through warm markets and have a virtually unlimited "sales team".

Again....just my two-cents.

-Robert-

_

4 seasons lawn&land
12-29-2009, 07:26 PM
I keep hearing about this word of mouth. Wish that people would do that already!.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Here's my plan. . .

Keep in mind when you tape something to peoples doors they get pissed off. I got q complaint call on day. Flyer that I put inside the crack set there for a month or two ink from paper bled thrught and left a carbon copy of a flyer on shiitty door. Had to go back and fix that. Some tapes will do the same( no duct tape) lol
Posted via Mobile Device

A1Lawns
01-01-2010, 11:36 PM
To those who actually have done the ads on drives thing, what was your response/retainer rate?
Just curious.

Thanks

A1Lawns
01-26-2010, 05:17 AM
[QUOTE=Grasshopper49;3315415]Not being negative, but I feel (as a homeowner) that if the business owner doesn't think enough of an offering by just throwing it in my drive or lawn, it can't be that important, no matter how nice it looks.>>>

That is because you are stupid.

CkLandscapingOrlando
01-26-2010, 06:56 AM
No thats because people dont want you throwing trash in their yard. How you gonna call someone stupid because your to lazy to not litter

A1Lawns
01-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Forgive that comment. Been going through a pretty stressful time lately. This has been a tough winter in many regards and just last week I had to put my dog of 12 1/2 years down. It's been rough.

posterlion
01-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Go to Wal-Mart buy 100 3"x5" index cards and a roll of masking tape. This should cost you about $4.00.

Then write the following on them:

If you need someone to mow your lawn, Please call me.

your name
your address
your phone number

Tape them on the door of the nearest 100 houses and you should get at least four calls.

Anyone else know of a cheaper way than that?

:)

tinman
01-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Throwing ads on the driveway is no different than yellow pages being thrown there. That said ,,,,, that form of advertising is dying out and people are coming to realize that a Yellow Pages directory thrown on the driveway is no different than spam sent to your email address. These ads work but a very low % of calls mean you have to put out 10s of thousands to do well. They do produce paying customers so do what is necessary.
Better advertising is done by drawing the customer to you naturally.. through a blog, newsletter, facebook, informative articles in local paper....etc. You gain access to a group of people more likely to need your services that way. Example,,, a person reading an article on your website about the best place to plant a certain shrub in "Yourtown, Utah" is more likely to be a candidate for your lawn services than a random person who got a little ad thrown on their driveway by you. This type of marketing does take longer but is likely going to benefit you in the future more.

posterlion
01-26-2010, 03:11 PM
I'd pick up the yellow pages if it was thrown in my driveway because I inherently know it's not garbage, but something of value. I know it has value due to the years of training I've had watching their (expensive) ads on TV.

Luckily, they still throw the yellow pages on the porch where I live. Therefore, I don't need to walk all the way down to the end of my driveway to get it. And being that the yellow pages is an awful heavy object, it won't get blown away by the wind. :)

tinman
01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Does the yellow book have value? Not for much longer for vast majority of people.

CkLandscapingOrlando
01-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Well they set our phone books at the front door. I use it more than a web search. I type in irragation supplies orlando and get tons of crap to search through. I can just open it and turn to the page and thats exactly what I want

That being said your right, it's all but gone now adays. Just like the news paper.

CkLandscapingOrlando
01-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Hey man things will turn around. You just gotta tough it out and make a plan of action. Then follow that plan making needed changes to it as you go.Forgive that comment. Been going through a pretty stressful time lately. This has been a tough winter in many regards and just last week I had to put my dog of 12 1/2 years down. It's been rough.

RodneyK
01-26-2010, 10:21 PM
I agree, someone tapes something to my door I would go nuts.

Robert good ideas man!

posterlion
01-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Nothing is perfect, especially a declining revenue base, but still . . . $16.5 billion is $16.5 billion. Apparently some people still look at those boat anchors, But what has that got to do with the price of rice in China, or the cheapest way to advertise? What about them 100 index cards and a roll of masking tape for $4.00?

You don't need a computer or a website for that. :)

======================

05/20/2009 - In its most recent forecast effort - the "Yellow Pages Market Forecast 2009," Simba Information believes that U.S. Yellow Pages revenue will decline 0.5% to $16.54 billion in 2009. In 2008, the company estimated that the total Yellow Pages revenue in the U.S. declined 0.8% to an estimated $16.62 billion. The forecast attributes most of the drop to the struggling U.S. economy and downward adjustment of RBOC publisher rates as they faced stiff competition from independent publishers.

In the report, Simba states that revenues for incumbent publishers are expected to decline to $12.05 billion in 2009, while independent publishers will boost revenue 6.9% to $4.49 billion, which would give the independents a 27.1% share of the revenue in the U.S. yellow pages market. Independents, which represented only 6.5% of the market in 1996 when the original Telecommunications Act was passed, are projected to grow to $4.57 billion in 2010, which would represent a 27.3% market share.

YPT: What were the key underlying trends in your analysis that had the biggest impact??

Goddard: The first is that larger RBOC publisher revenues, even AT&T, have been going down because they have begun to go off their rate card and lower rates to be competitive with the independent publishers. The independents have become more established, accepted, especially Yellow Book, which has grown large enough to have a nationwide presence and become a common, known household name. That's very different from where things were even 10 years ago.

The second factor is there are some really strong niche independent publishers which have further eroded the bigger publisher's market share and revenues. Add in an economic downturn which has been far wider in scope and reach than any prior recessions, affecting everything from real estate to finance. All of this together forms a perfect storm with an impact on all advertising, including Yellow Pages.

Overall, the number of advertisers in the yellow pages industry hasn't dropped substantially; it's just that the rate cuts from the major publishers has had more of an impact on total industry revenue. Our research indicated that the independent publishers are still growing, but not as fast is in recent years. By next year we expect the price cutting will stabilize and the industry will return to its slow, low single digit growth over the next 5 years.

YPT: How deep where the price cuts?

Goddard: In some metro markets it was a minimum of 10%., but it was also not unusual to see even higher cuts being made, almost a "what will it take to make this happen" type situation. In the smaller, more rural areas there was much less cutting. I think it reflects what the marketplace is willing to pay given the options they have and the status of the economy.

YPT: Do you feel the exceptionally low stock prices of some of the majors like RHD and Idearc are a reflection of bad management decisions or just an overall industry impacted by a bad economy??

Goddard: The stock prices are more a reflection debt levels carried by those publishers. Any company, regardless of the industry, carrying heavy debt levels in tough economic times, are going to have lower stock prices in this market. And in this really bad economy Yellow Pages print advertising becomes an easy target and the industry is not presenting a united front in promoting the value of the products, both print and online. This is still a $16 billion industry in the U.S. with 90% of those revenues coming from print. And while that is an impressive total, there is no focused value message. This makes for an easy target for the media competitors to challenge the yellow pages value.

YPT: If the economy turns around is that all that's needed for the industry to also bounce back?

Goddard: I think the "glory days" as the industry knew them aren't going to return just because the economy improves, because during the "glory days" competitive alternatives like online or mobile were limited but they aren't now. The industry will still be a viable part of U.S. advertising, but not the dominant force it once was. It's the beauty and beast of free enterprise.

Interestingly, local print yellow pages were actually the only traditional media that posted positive growth last year. It was a small one, but still positive. On the other hand, newspapers were down 16% year over year.

YPT: How was this research complied?

Goddard: Over the course of a nearly a year we talked to virtually all of the publishers that could impact the total industry number, not every single publisher, but the vast majority. We ask about where they are and where they think they are headed. We then temper that input with all of the public financial results, and further analyze the results by sector - incumbents, large independents, other independents, etc, before we rolled it all up into a total view.

YPT: When Idearc filed for bankruptcy, the courts sent information to all its advertisers informing them of the situation. How much do events such as that influence your analysis??

Goddard: Anyone who makes the news with negative results like that certainly will have some impact on the industry, and perception is more important than reality. When we compile our forecast we try to assess how events like this further impact advertiser buying decisions. Idearc will clearly have more pressure on their collections as a result of the filling. It will also be interesting to see how the recent lawsuit by the shareholders impacts their advertiser base.

YPT: It does not appear that there will be a merger of the industry associations in the near term. Do the industry associations have to merge to be able to mount an effective public relations campaign??

Goddard: Perhaps I'm over optimistic but I do believe that ultimately ADP and YPA will come together. Sieg Fisher of Valley Yellow Pages, when he was recently the Chairman of ADP, was an advocate of the two associations working together on common efforts to promote the overall industry and have all publishers support syndicated research on a percent of revenue basis. Well, we all know that didn't happen. Instead the reverse was true and now there is no syndicated research being conducted. That's not a good thing for the industry and plays right into the hands of competitors. But there is progress with ADM and YPA moving closer to a joint operation. Perhaps ADP will return to the table and we'll see more success toward a merger.

YPT: What's your read on Chris Cummings of Marquette, a CMR, now being named as Chairmen of YPA, an organization that has traditionally been viewed as a publishers group??

Goddard: I view it s a real positive step. It shows industry leaders recognize they need to work together on important issues they all face. As for the old days with antagonism between industry segments? Heck, those days are long over; it's time to move on.

"The industry had been at a constant growth rate for nearly 20 years with some pretty good spikes in 1990 and 2000. And, when it really got tough, the industry still managed to remain at 2.3% growth and 1.3% growth in 2002 and 2003, respectively, as the country recovered from the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon in 2001. But it couldn't stay at a positive rate as it got caught in the massive economic downturn that swept the U.S., crippling the housing, banking and auto industries... they all took a fiscal beating and it was passed on to the yellow pages," noted David Goddard, the forecast's author.

To get a further insight into the findings we talked with -- David Goddard, the Senior Analyst for the Yellow Pages Group of Simba Information to gain additional insights.

posterlion
01-26-2010, 10:33 PM
I agree, someone tapes something to my door I would go nuts.

Robert good ideas man!

About 4% of them will go so nutty it's like they're off their rocker because they pick up the phone and call you for an estimate. It's like . . . nutty cool man!

Can ya dig it?

A1Lawns
01-27-2010, 05:38 AM
Hey man things will turn around. You just gotta tough it out and make a plan of action. Then follow that plan making needed changes to it as you go.

Thanks for being cool about it Chuck. :)

A1Lawns
01-27-2010, 05:55 AM
Throwing ads on the driveway is no different than yellow pages being thrown there. That said ,,,,, that form of advertising is dying out and people are coming to realize that a Yellow Pages directory thrown on the driveway is no different than spam sent to your email address. These ads work but a very low % of calls mean you have to put out 10s of thousands to do well. They do produce paying customers so do what is necessary.
Better advertising is done by drawing the customer to you naturally.. through a blog, newsletter, facebook, informative articles in local paper....etc. You gain access to a group of people more likely to need your services that way. Example,,, a person reading an article on your website about the best place to plant a certain shrub in "Yourtown, Utah" is more likely to be a candidate for your lawn services than a random person who got a little ad thrown on their driveway by you. This type of marketing does take longer but is likely going to benefit you in the future more.

I actually have about 20,000 total ads left from the last few years of making ads. (Yea I know I went a little overboard-lol) Also, tons of business cards to put with the ads. So now it's just as matter of do I want to take the "easy" or "lazy" way and just drop them next to mailboxes or on drives and actually be able to get out all the ads I have wanted, or do it the "right, non lazy" way and go door to door with door handers and get out only about 1/3 of what I would the other way?

I personally find walking on ones property and putting something on their doorknob much more intrusive then just putting them in the mailbox or on the ground next to it. Put noooooo you can't do that because the law says it a felony.

Believe me, if I had the money and had any capital whatsoever, I would just use a mailing service and bulk mail them. It would'nt even be a discussion. Right now it would even be hard to afford to hire a few guys to go door to door. To get out as many ads as I _need_ to, even this will get costly.

CkLandscapingOrlando
01-27-2010, 07:11 AM
My main thing with throwing them is that alot of them never get seen. They just lay in the yard till the landscaper picks it up on his maint day. So my fear would be that the extra numbers would be a waste. I know by myself I can hang 2500 a day. 2 day's of that and I got a 5000 house pool. Wait 30 day's and do the same houses again. You may get the same return from throwing them but I've never done it so I'm not sure. But I do know I throw alot of those away every year.

A1Lawns
01-27-2010, 07:48 AM
My main thing with throwing them is that alot of them never get seen. They just lay in the yard till the landscaper picks it up on his maint day. So my fear would be that the extra numbers would be a waste. I know by myself I can hang 2500 a day. 2 day's of that and I got a 5000 house pool. Wait 30 day's and do the same houses again. You may get the same return from throwing them but I've never done it so I'm not sure. But I do know I throw alot of those away every year.

WOW. Can you please tell me how you get 2,500 ads out by yourself in one day? Please...

Paradise Landscapes
01-27-2010, 10:55 AM
WOW. Can you please tell me how you get 2,500 ads out by yourself in one day? Please...

It's called walking fast! Me and my girl can do 2500 in 1 day. A factor to play is: How close are the houses?

A1Lawns
01-28-2010, 06:23 AM
It's called walking fast! Me and my girl can do 2500 in 1 day. A factor to play is: How close are the houses?

I drove house to house for 8 hours and got out about 1,000. I can't imagine how 1 person even sprinting could get 2,500 done in a day. Even two people. Unless it's all subdivisions then maybe.

CkLandscapingOrlando
01-28-2010, 07:27 AM
It takes 10sec to walk up the drive to the door and another 10 to get back down it. Thats 20sec a house or 3 houses a min. This is my actual time not just a figure. This also depends on the lot size. We have small lots here that are usually 50ft-80ft wide as well. I also live in a place where you could drop 2500 and never move the truck if you dont want. It'a alot of work and very hard on the knees but can be done

JohnnyRocker
02-08-2010, 10:59 AM
ok, you ask for advice on this. I have been in this business 25 years and to give you a honest answer, don't throw them in the driveway. I know it's faster and so on, but when you do this alot of people think "if they are to lazy to hang it on my door then what kind of job can I expect from this company? Get yourself several teenagers, friends or family, have a plan, target the areas you want to cover in the right time frame. You can have them out within 2 weeks if done right.Hope this gives you or anyone reading this a good thought or idea!:clapping:

It's still amazing that people ask about littering yards with bags and rocks.

CrazyBlonde
02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I still say buy the door hanger bags off eBay put postcard in it and hang the post card on the door. Use some kids group, such as scouts, cheerleaders, ball team, church, etc to help you. Give them a donation to use for their activies or take em out for pizza. We do both!

Doorhanger bags: Search eBay they are cheap! $$$Sandwich Baggies are Expensive!$$$
2500 CLEAR PLASTIC 6½x16 DOORKNOB HANGER BAGS (170434174937) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170434174937&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

If you MUST throw them from your vehicle then I would make it something useful to BOTH you and the customer! Put a Business Card FRIDGE MAGNET in the bag, it's probably heavy enough. But research polls show, baggies thrown onto property are not appreciated by most customers.

1500 Peel & Stick Fridge Magnets: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130359912932&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I also think that idea about sticking a flag with the bag on the lawn is a good one! But a bit expensive :usflag: Mini Flags http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400052305419&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Then next time, instead of printing postcards, print Door Hangers instead, and you won't have the expense of the bags. 5000 Door hangers; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350270271496&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Gotta use em up! Hope this helped a bit. Looking forward to a GREAT YEAR for us all!

lawnboy852
02-08-2010, 06:24 PM
put on some nice clothes, your walkin shoes, and get to it. You will get far more business this way, if YOU the OWNER talk to the client, tell them about their services, ASK them if they have questions, etc. Plus, then you are there, and you can negotiate. Have some numbers ready to go, I know in my case, I set my estimate a little high, so I can be "talked down" to something more reasonable. Figure out how much of a "savings" you can give people. I know that Ill start most lawns at $35, weekly service, within my own neighborhood. Then if I have to drop to 32, really not that big of a deal for me. BUT to a customer, that $3 is 12 in a month, Or one ticket at the movies, lunch etc, and over an entire season its something like $60-70+.

Marketing is basically about making people think they are saving money. Now even if your "talked down" price is higher than what they are paying, assure them that you have more to offer.
For me that means that I am IN the neighborhood, have a Flexible schedule, speak English (really, a bigger deal than you might think around here at least). Every customer gets my email and personal phone #, so Im easy to talk to, and to get things done with.

That, and colorful flyers!

froglawn
02-09-2010, 06:45 PM
hate to bring this up here but one of my first times hearing of the "ad in bag w/rock tactic"....sounds more like littering

Sweet Tater
02-09-2010, 07:09 PM
I have done flyers before and got most back for one reason or another, only got 2 lawns from the hundreds I mailed so I dont do mailer anymore, not economical, however I do door hangers and have had some great results from them. I have 2000 to put out later tis month in 3 small towns. I am expecting some good results

Sweet Tater
02-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Go to Wal-Mart buy 100 3"x5" index cards and a roll of masking tape. This should cost you about $4.00.

Then write the following on them:

If you need someone to mow your lawn, Please call me.

your name
your address
your phone number

Tape them on the door of the nearest 100 houses and you should get at least four calls.

Anyone else know of a cheaper way than that?

:)

whats so mesed up, is thatmight actually work :confused: :laugh:

A1Lawns
02-09-2010, 09:54 PM
It's still amazing that people ask about littering yards with bags and rocks.

Lighten up Francis.

posterlion
02-10-2010, 12:31 PM
whats so mesed up, is thatmight actually work :confused: :laugh:

It worked for me with a 6.5% response rate. I'm not kidding either, but I will say that the target market was for fall cleanups and I only placed the cards on houses with the ugliest nastiest looking yards you can imagine.

I've not yet tried this techinique for the edge. mow, trim, and blow market, but I am hopeful and have 1,200 of these printed and ready to go for my campaign. :)

P.S. My clean-up cards said, "If you need someone to pick-up your leaves, please call me." lol

JohnnyRocker
02-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Lighten up Francis.

Does it turn you on to call me Francis? That's hot.:dizzy:

A1Lawns
02-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Does it turn you on to call me Francis? That's hot.:dizzy:

Totally. It's from Stripes. Funny scene.

JohnnyRocker
02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Totally. It's from Stripes. Funny scene.

Oh yeah! That's classic!

A1Lawns
02-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Oh yeah! That's classic!

Yea I was just messin man. No harm intended. I appreciate and respect your opinion.

:cool2:

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 12:03 PM

Thanks

The fact that people don't like it means customers don't like it. If you want to present yourself as a disrespectful lowlife who thinks it's ok to litter on potential customer's properties, go for it. It's about the lowest of the low as far as marketing IMHO.

CrazyBlonde
02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Here is what our customers think about baggies with rocks: http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2007/02/lawn_care_adver.html

I found several HOMEOWNER BLOGS where they discuss this, and THEY DON'T LIKE IT! They are TRYING to get it STOPPED.
If Businesses keep doing it we won't be able to even do door hangers. So WHY Do it!

Here is the first 2 comments in a blog about it. The 2nd one should drive home the point that they want it stopped or they will take action to get it stopped.

1)"I would much rather have a flyer in my door than a business card for "----------Service" in a plastic pouch weighted down with rocks at the end of my driveway (and all of my neighbors' driveways). It is LITTER; these pouches can easily be swept into the sewer with the next heavy rain.

2)"---------" advertises by putting plastic bags containing business cards and pebbles in driveways near the road. It is understood that soliciting is legal, but throwing or placing plastic on the ground is littering, even if it is done in the name of advertising.
What happens when people don't pick up the "junk mail" thrown in their driveway? (I have observed that most people don't pick them up)
These bags become litter and because they are made of plastic this is a significant problem.
My intention is to politely ask this company to stop this form of advertising because it is a form of littering, Or have a relevant authority speak to the company about their advertising practices, Or if no such law exists to prohibit this form of solicitation, can we answer the question: why isn't there one?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Most state laws consider "ANYTHING coming OFF of, or FROM a vehicle, IS LITTER except: WATER and FEATHERS FROM LIVE BIRDS!"
So, you might be asking for a ticket if you piss off the right person. Put out 500 baggies and it's 500 tickets!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

People that continue to do this are going to ruin it for those of us that use door hangers. I've had 4 KNEE Surgeries, It hurts! But I put out 5000 door hangers a year. Not to mention ruin our image in the public eye!

JohnnyRocker
02-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah, that form of advertising only helps any stereotype that is out there of lawn workers being uneducated scrubs. Way to go, loser!:hammerhead:

Darryl G
02-28-2010, 02:54 PM
I think this is falling on deaf ears......

Atlantic Turf
08-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Do you get a good response from the neighborhood newsletters? We are talking now with some of the civic leagues and getting prices. The prices are affordable, but was just curious as to the actual respones.

MarcSmith
08-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Atlantic...it was the best money I ever spent. I see an ad as a legitimate form of advertising for a professional company. I personally don't see that same thing with door hangers and flyers. Your ad is being delivered to homes in a particular community in their monthly newsletter. You don't need to spend time driving around/walking around to deliver the flyers... its been over a decade since I sold the business, but it was easily the best money I spent. as a homeowner I look at the business' who support the neighborhood newsletter as companies that are willing to invest in the neighborhood...folks who toss flyers and hang door hangers, I just don't get the "warm fuzzies" from...but thats just me...

Atlantic Turf
08-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks Marc. I'll let you know how it goes.

2brothersyardcare
08-03-2010, 12:24 PM
were are you in ct?

bignamelawncare
08-03-2010, 01:22 PM
We are trying to raise our standings on googlelocal. Goggle local really seems to be a great way to gain new clients. Big Name Chemturf & Lawn Care Tulsa OK

TNGrassCutter
08-03-2010, 06:34 PM
I go to Lowes and get blank white signs like 20"x30" like an election sign but solid white and get stickers printed with just business name and phone number and put it in a few yards i do on main roads with customers approval and thats how ive gotten most of my yards*trucewhiteflag*

MowHouston
08-03-2010, 06:48 PM
We are trying to raise our standings on googlelocal. Goggle local really seems to be a great way to gain new clients. Big Name Chemturf & Lawn Care Tulsa OK

I can tell, because you put "Big Name Chemturf & Lawn Care Tulsa OK" at the end of every post.

Even then, you're not doing it right. Google likes links. Do you have a website? Link that to your website. Don't just type "Big Name Chemturf & Lawn Care Tulsa OK" at the end of everything you do. From my experience, it doesn't do much linking from these forums, although it might help a little.

JFGauvreau
08-03-2010, 06:52 PM
I can tell, because you put "Big Name Chemturf & Lawn Care Tulsa OK" at the end of every post.

Even then, you're not doing it right. Google likes links. Do you have a website? Link that to your website. Don't just type "Big Name Chemturf & Lawn Care Tulsa OK" at the end of everything you do. From my experience, it doesn't do much linking from these forums, although it might help a little.

I was asking myself why was he putting that at the end of his posts.

Correct me if i'm wrong but you will not get much business from this site.

bignamelawncare
08-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Great I'll try that too. www.bignamelawncare.com Big Name Chemturf and Lawn Care Tulsa Oklahoma

bignamelawncare
08-03-2010, 08:06 PM
The google thing is complicated. The more times my name and address appear on the web the higher my googlelocal listing will appear.

MowHouston
08-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Just create a signature. The link should be like this:

Lawn Care Tulsa Oklahoma (http://www.bignamelawncare.com)

You feed the keywords to google with those words acting as a link to your site and hope that google crawls those specific threads with your signature in them. That gives you an external link-back to your website, which is supposed to help your google organic rankings.

Make sure you're signed up for google analytics/webmaster tools also. It helps with tweaking your site to gain page rank.

MowHouston
08-03-2010, 09:41 PM
The google thing is complicated. The more times my name and address appear on the web the higher my googlelocal listing will appear.

That is because it is through companies like merchantcircle and yellowpages that you have yourself listed with. They have their sites all SEO'd up already so that people find them first and hope that business owners like yourself will be willing to pay for a premium listing.

Keep tweaking your website and see what works and what doesn't. It usually takes time. A good way to go about it is to view the meta tags and front page content of sites that are above you in the rankings and try to incorporate that into your metadata and/or front page.

Good luck.

bignamelawncare
08-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Ok, I worked on my signature. Will this work? Is it too long?

JFGauvreau
08-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Your sideshow on your home page is kind of to fast imo, you don't have time to read everything, just my opinion.

MowHouston
08-04-2010, 11:18 AM

I've never tried it like that but I would assume that it would be best to have it say "Lawn Care Service, Tulsa Oklahoma"

I think with your current signature, it is too many keywords bunched together, but that is just my theory, I don't have anything to back it up.

Texas Lawn
08-04-2010, 01:00 PM
just do good work, word of mouth is free

bignamelawncare
08-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the imput.

billyslawn
08-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Has anyone read the book by Sean Adams he actually suggests to do the baggies. I have even asked people how they felt about it and they dad no problem with it.

MowHouston
08-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Has anyone read the book by Sean Adams he actually suggests to do the baggies. I have even asked people how they felt about it and they dad no problem with it.

Lets get this out of the way because it comes up every time someone says "baggies".

Throwing baggies in people's yard/driveway is trashy/unprofessional/anyotherderogatorycommentyoucanthinkofhere.

That's what some people think.

On the other hand, some people think it is fine.

So before people have a piss fit over it, I've already outlined both sides.

Now directly to the subject of baggies. Yes, they work. Yes, some angry potential customers might call you to gripe you out, but rarely. If they do, act mature and offer them a discount on their fourth mowing or something. :D Yes, it may piss someone off, but you probably aren't worth their time for them to gripe you out. Yes you will get customers from them. Yes they are cheap. Yes, they are faster than flyers with about the same turnaround, and yes, there are people (potential customers or friends)who ,if you tell them of that method of advertising, will say that it is a neat/smart form of advertising.

Bottom line, it works. If the potential customer thinks it is trashy, they wont call you, so that doesn't really matter unless you're the kind of person who gives a flying flip about what people think about you. But, you will get customers from it. Try throwing 1000 and see what happens.

mikkinosweat
08-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Not funny! Why don't you do something for the community. I sponsored a team for Relay for Life and have had great response being in parades and handing out fliers and I'm doing something good for people other than dissin their girlfriends and wives.

mikkinosweat
08-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Hand Deliver ......

Put your wife or girlfriend in charge of getting them distributed..... its gets her involved and allows her to get great exercise :laugh:

Micah Owner
Paradise Restored Landscaping
Portland Landscaping (http://www.paradiserestored.com)
Portland Irrigation Installer (http://www.paradiserestored.com/sprinklers.html)

:nono: I love this business!

bignamelawncare
08-05-2010, 01:45 PM
I've never tried it like that but I would assume that it would be best to have it say "Lawn Care Service, Tulsa Oklahoma"

I think with your current signature, it is too many keywords bunched together, but that is just my theory, I don't have anything to back it up.

Checked with my web designer SEO guy. He told me that as long as there is a link from another website to my website that is good. Google crawls the pages looking for links. That many key words is fine, he said. I'm no expert just repeating what I heard. I plan on having links to my page on all of my friends webpages. I've even started a face book page where I have placed links. Really trying to get on that first page for google local. I'm half way down the second page now. Moving on up.

JTS Landscaping lawn
08-07-2010, 08:25 PM
i have been using craigslist and pretty much about 90% of my business has come from there. some have been pretty decent size jobs to

MowHouston
08-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Checked with my web designer SEO guy. He told me that as long as there is a link from another website to my website that is good. Google crawls the pages looking for links. That many key words is fine, he said. I'm no expert just repeating what I heard. I plan on having links to my page on all of my friends webpages. I've even started a face book page where I have placed links. Really trying to get on that first page for google local. I'm half way down the second page now. Moving on up.

Ah that's good news. Makes things simple I guess. I worked a few days on tweaking my website. It got me from #20 to #11. I think a few more weeks and I might be nipping up at the top three spots.

However, I'll be competing with sites like yellowpages, yahoo local, and other directory sites. I hate those guys.

Still working on more presence on googe places (google business listings) too.

MowHouston
08-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Ooh. And I just noticed I'm #1 on Yahoo for McAllen Lawn Service. If that even matters. :laugh:

Big Bad Bob
08-07-2010, 11:49 PM
i have been using craigslist and pretty much about 90% of my business has come from there. some have been pretty decent size jobs to

Been putting ads on Craigslist all year and bubkiss. Nothing. Nada. The only responses I have gotten through Craigslist were get rich quick schemes.

johnclark023
08-10-2010, 05:30 PM
We use dog bones and door hanger bags. Although not everyone has a dog in the area, you will typically find that out by walking up to the door with the hanger bag. If there is a barking dog or dog outside, etc... we will leave an organic dog bone, if no dog, no bone!

Get a lot of replies about the dog bones, which leads to a alot of quotes

HOLLYWOODHAWKS
08-10-2010, 07:27 PM
I have done flyers both in bags and on mail boxes and get the same response from both some guys dont like this method but then again they dont like the competition. If i hand out 4000 flyers i would say i will recive 40 or more calls the trick is to convert them to customers have a good pitch and return calls right away. When i do flyers i make sure to keep my phone rigth by my side for at least the next week and anwser every cal.l people like to speak with u the first call not have u call back

MowHouston
08-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Been putting ads on Craigslist all year and bubkiss. Nothing. Nada. The only responses I have gotten through Craigslist were get rich quick schemes.

Craigslist doesn't work for everyone. It is best used in larger cities. If you live in a small town, don't expect much from it.

08-10-2010, 11:47 PM
I bought a mailing list from a local printing company. I had them sort it into just residentials, in a certain area of town. I have my postcards printed from an online vendor, and I drop them off at my local printing company to do the final addressing and mailing. They end up costing me about 25 cents each... total cost, delivered. I send out about 2000 postcards at a time, over and over to the same group of houses. Its for snow removal, and I'm working on route density. By the end of winter every home owner on my list remembers FargoSnow.com :) Its also fun watching website stats the first few days after a mailing, it goes through the roof.

08-10-2010, 11:59 PM
I bought a mailing list from a local printing company. I had them sort it into just residentials, in a certain area of town. I have my postcards printed from an online vendor, and I drop them off at my local printing company to do the final addressing and mailing. They end up costing me about 25 cents each... total cost, delivered. I send out about 2000 postcards at a time, over and over to the same group of houses. Its for snow removal, and I'm working on route density. By the end of winter every home owner on my list remembers FargoSnow.com :) Its also fun watching website stats the first few days after a mailing, it goes through the roof.

Doh! I should of put that as www.FargoSnow.com

hehe