PDA

View Full Version : Hbl

cmturner
12-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I am working on getting my ducks in line for next year already and have been looking at the HBL products mainly because of thinking about what David has been saying about having a product that is different and one that sets you apart from the ordinary. Looking at their site I was leaning towards possibly doing the middle membership package later on in the year but I just wanted to see what kind of price differences there is between the retail side and the wholesale members only side. I also wanted to see if that membership had to be renewed every year and if so how much is it then. Thanks guys.

turf hokie
12-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Talk to Mike Marlow. Those are details you should get directly from him.

Posted via Mobile Device

addictedtolandscaping
12-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I went with HBL and also went with the middle package. THe product sells itself, and the guidance and advice I have gotten from Mike is second to none. I brought this service to an area it essentially didn't exist, and though I am no way near David's or Bryans level, I believe I did well for the first year. I still have 5 estimates between tomorrow and Monday, and expect to close atleast 2 more of them.

David Gretzmier
12-06-2009, 02:42 AM
I think HBL is the best choice right now for several reasons. The mixed noble foliage garland and wreaths are second to none. showing those on bids closes jobs, period. The starburst and blizzard light links shown as samples also show the quality of product you deal with and label you as a professional. The fact that they ratchet as opposed to bending a weld with Brite Ideas makes install and storage go about 1.5 times faster.

The catalog this year absolutely makes you look good.

HBL is not without problems, however. no paper invoices, so you better learn to print the email ones, and sometimes you do not get those. They have went through some pretty tough growing pains over the last 3 years. staff turnover, out of stock items the first week of November, wrong items shipped, and more than a couple weld issues with items breaking at the weld because they had the amps too high back in the china welding shop.

but all companies have thier issues. I buy from about all of them. and HBL has product that overcomes the negatives. If they could get rid of the negatives and continue to improve the product, which I believe will happen , HBL will continue to be my top distibution channel for holiday items.

cmturner
12-06-2009, 05:17 PM
how do the links attach to the house? Do you just hang them using all in one hangers or because of the weight do you have to screw them into the fascia board?

addictedtolandscaping
12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
They come with shingle tabs or gutter clips. Other than that, I use galvanized nails, create a point that twopieces meet, they hang on eone nail. Make sure you use galvanized or stainless, the last thing you want to do is an obtrusive mount, let alone an obtrusie mount that rsts and looks like crap on some one's 250k plus house.

onebreezer
12-06-2009, 07:27 PM
I also went with the HBL middle package. Call Mike. Tell him Ed said "Hi Yall"

turf hokie
12-06-2009, 08:47 PM
They come with shingle tabs or gutter clips. Other than that, I use galvanized nails, create a point that twopieces meet, they hang on eone nail. Make sure you use galvanized or stainless, the last thing you want to do is an obtrusive mount, let alone an obtrusie mount that rsts and looks like crap on some one's 250k plus house.

I only use the clips given in the package. The ONLY thing we use screws for is for wreaths and then we usually use alternative methods and "semi" permanent mounts when we can.

All minis, c-9's, links, garland, and most wreaths up to 48" are hung with temporary means.

I have gotten jobs based soley on the fact that we did not nail or drill when the competetion was going to.

Just food for thought.

cmturner
12-06-2009, 08:52 PM
cool guys thanks for the info. Does anyone rent the links? how are the LED links compared to the incandescents?

turf hokie
12-06-2009, 09:08 PM
cool guys thanks for the info. Does anyone rent the links? how are the LED links compared to the incandescents?

Yes, we rent them, I dont know of any one else that does, Hotrod?

Jury is still out on the LED light links.....last year there were product issues with major failure rates. They backed the product and replaced all of them, and so far this year we are at 0% fail rate, but it is early, no real snow and only 2 rain storms..

hotrod1965
12-06-2009, 09:49 PM
I dont offer links right now. Still waiting for the LED links to improve.

David Gretzmier
12-07-2009, 12:15 AM
i only rent the links that customers leave me when they move and don't want them. and those are very few.

In 9 years, I have never put in a nail for a link. use the supplied gable clips, and if you have gutter covers, use a 3/16 drill and put a hole in the top ( not front) and use a small stainless s clip similar to a swingset hook. the only exception I can see is for a clay tile roof. then I would use color matched hex head screws for metal buildings you can buy at Lowes.

newmanfan
12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Feel free to contact me, or read my other posts, but I have had much difficulty with HBL