PDA

View Full Version : Ran over pop-up emitter for 2nd time!

Larson Lawn Care
12-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I ran over a customers pop-up emitter early summer, then I just ran it over again while mulching leaves. I knew it was there so I lifted the mower up a bit, I guess the suction pulled it up just enough to hit the blades. I bought just the green pop up part at Home Depot after the first time, now they won't just sell that, it only comes with the elbow for $10. I checked other hardware stores and they are the same. Does anyone know where I can find just the top part and not the pvc elbow?

turfrider1020
12-04-2009, 03:06 PM
i have a customer who for some reason has a pvc pipe sticking out of the ground and is capped. it has something to do with the irrigation case when you hit it water goes apesh-t everywhere, anywayabout 4 years ago i just bareley hit it with my trimmer and it snapped so i kept away from it well this year 2 different guys broke it one way or another and after fixing it the second time i was cutting the yard and hit a pine cone that hit it and snapped the pipe again

ed2hess
12-04-2009, 07:26 PM
The 4" pop-ups cost around $2 and no elbow but elbow or even swing joint is around $2. Now the rotors run around $8 .....John Deere...or Lowes or HD.

topsites
12-04-2009, 08:41 PM
One of them little orange marking flags, 8 cents.

AI Inc
12-04-2009, 08:43 PM
The 4" pop-ups cost around $2 and no elbow but elbow or even swing joint is around $2. Now the rotors run around $8 .....John Deere...or Lowes or HD.

Your getting boned on the elbow. I pay 17 cents for them.

Larson Lawn Care
12-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Home depot, Lowes or Handyman Hardware doesn't sell them without the elbow. I can't find anywhere here in St. Louis that does.

Jason Rose
12-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Lets back up a sec... What's a "pop up emmiter"? Are you talking about a sprinkler head, or a downspout drian off the house, that's buried and has a cap on it where it elbows back up and the water comes out? I'm guessing the latter...

I'm guessing that the store you went may have just been out of the emmiter caps, because I believe they should usually stock them. Sounds like you may want to just go ahead and dig it up and set it to proper grade while you are replacing it yet again. Perhaps show the customer that it's too high and that's why you hit it with the mower. I'm sure they would understand considering that it was bured under leaves. They probably wouldn't hold you responsible even...

delphied
12-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Are you telling me you want to search all over town and ask on here to save less than $10? If so, please get a life.

procut
12-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Are you telling me you want to search all over town and ask on here to save less than $10? If so, please get a life.

Kind of what I was thinking.

Larson Lawn Care
12-05-2009, 06:41 PM

If your wasting your time to respond like that, maybe you should get a life!!! Don't you have anything better to do??????????????????????????????

Why should I buy the entire thing if I don't need it. All I need is the cap, not the elbow that comes with it. That's just a waste of money.

Kartanimal29
12-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Try here. this is where we get all of our stuff. http://www.biscoirrigation.com/Irrigation.html

ed2hess
12-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Your getting boned on the elbow. I pay 17 cents for them.

Swing joint plus elbow......6" long device with two male connectors on each end made by Hunter. All heads in our area are attached with these swing joints it is the only way to keep mowers from jamming heads into ground and breaking them off.

Kartanimal29
12-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Swing Joint for a lawn head? We us Blue Flex Pipe up here in New England

Larson Lawn Care
12-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the info

AI Inc
12-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Swing joint plus elbow......6" long device with two male connectors on each end made by Hunter. All heads in our area are attached with these swing joints it is the only way to keep mowers from jamming heads into ground and breaking them off.

Make em yourself with 2 -17 cent fittings and 8 cents of funny pipe.

ed2hess
12-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Make em yourself with 2 -17 cent fittings and 8 cents of funny pipe.

I tried that but I also see a lot of those come apart after a few years when tree roots start pushing around on them. And the time to make up a 100 is significant and you still need a couple fittings on both ends. But that is better than the common low price use of just two elbows on the heads.

a plus bob
12-06-2009, 11:06 AM
He is working on a pop up on a down spout tile not irrigation heads.I have never seen the cap sold seperatly but when you replace it put it deeper so you never have to fix again.