PDA

View Full Version : Uniques new Centaurus 12

TXNSLighting
12-04-2009, 06:33 PM
I wanted to take a few minutes to tell you guys my experience with this fixture.

I got it in the mail a few weeks ago and have it hooked up in my back yard. I love this fixture. All the weak points from the previous paths are corrected. The new brass knuckles at the connections points are solid. It has great weight and is all around a well built fixture.

The light output is extremely great as well. The new screw in lens to make sure the hat is level is fantastic and much more secure. I recommend you all check this fixture out.

Heres some pics, Ill get some after dark in a bit.

TXNSLighting
12-04-2009, 06:38 PM
The rest of them:

TXNSLighting
12-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Night shots:

indylights
12-04-2009, 08:15 PM
It looks like it gives of decent light, but in my opinion, it looks pretty low end. Stake and stem look very cheap, hat is warped, and do not like the finish at all. Just my two cents.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

TXNSLighting
12-04-2009, 08:18 PM
How do you figure it looks low end? All your comments cant be further from the truth.

indylights
12-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Not trying to be rude, but re-read my post. I said why I think it looks low end. Just my opinion.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

Let There Be Light
12-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Guys, IMHO, I have nothing against any good manufacturer as "the style" is in the eye of the beholder (client). We engineer the line runs and artistically install it. Having said that, from an installers point of view, plastic stakes suck and plastic lens' suck. And that is why we charge more for the installation of fixtures with plastic stakes. Bottom line, it takes longer. It's important to me that pathway fixtures standup and stay vertical.

JoeyD
12-05-2009, 12:25 AM
For the record the hat isnt warped, I believe its the camera playing tricks....we check all of these products maticulously (sp?) during assembly. The Lens is Borosilicate Glass and not Poly Carbonate or plastic. The fixture as can all of our lights can be ordered with a Zero-G Docking Post aka Perma Post but our Stabalizer Stake seems to work very well as we rarely ever have RMA requests and usually they are related to abuse. Stability really increases when it is buried to the base which Ryan hasnt done yet. The stems are brass and the base has an oversized machined fitting that overlaps the stem by an inch give or take increasing rigidness and stability. Although some may not like our products rest assured that when you buy a Unique Odyssey Product you not only get a product that is Warrantied for LIFE you get a product that we designed to never get back! We want it to last!!

At the same time to each his own........

Thans for reviewing the Centaurus 12 Ryan. Glad you enjoy it!

indylights
12-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Joey,

Unless you personally handled that product, you don't know "for the record" that the hat isn't warped. In the picture it looks warped, but maybe it is the camera. In my opinion, visually, it looks exactly like all the cheap China knockoff crap we all complain about. And for the record, as I have stated previously, I use your products. But like you said to each his own, and in my own opinion, this is not Unique's best offering. Everyone else may love it, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much.

P.S. For my fellow contractors. I attended the IA show in San Antonio. Some major distributors have gone or are in the process of going under, I'm sure sticking their manufacturers with some hefty IOU's in the process. Should be another fun sorting out season in the low voltage world.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

thomkirby
12-05-2009, 11:49 AM
From a client's view...
The hat in the second picture shows to be slightly off and most likely the hat is not fully seated. Something that liquid soap might help when seating in the seal. Third picture is what is showing the distortion of the 'warp'. Part of this most likely is the camera lens distortion, most common in close up photos (aka fish eye shots tend to distort image closest to lens).
As to looks, it appears to be very simple design. Marketing hype would call this a clean line or traditional design with solid quality components. Sorry Joey but that is my first reaction. Now would I as the customer like it? Yep, looking for something just like that to throw wide beam of light at the driveway culvert apron. So it is still fine but if this is how it showed up I would reject it and make somebody make it look straight.

My two cents..

Kirby

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Ok, I will chime in here. I think that with the large hat diameter, and the relatively small stem, the fixture is not well balanced. The materials may be of decent quality but the fixture looks "spindley" Too tall, too thin stem, too wide hat. Just my opinion of course.

Also, I am not a huge fan of fixtures that rely upon a glass lens to 'secure' the top hat. Here in the great white north, these types of fixtures have had issues with snow loading. A mechanical means by which to attach the top to the stem would be best.

JoeyD
12-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I fully repsect your response. and you may be right. Being that I dont handle these fixtures during the manufacturing process I guess I was wrong to think we couldnt make a mistake. Although I wouldnt compare this light to crap everyone is welcome to their opinions.

At any rate its saturday and lighting si the last thing I am going to worry about today, I am off to play!!!!!! Enjoy the weekend!!!!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/Glamis%20Halloween%2009/securedownload3.jpg

Joey,

Unless you personally handled that product, you don't know "for the record" that the hat isn't warped. In the picture it looks warped, but maybe it is the camera. In my opinion, visually, it looks exactly like all the cheap China knockoff crap we all complain about. And for the record, as I have stated previously, I use your products. But like you said to each his own, and in my own opinion, this is not Unique's best offering. Everyone else may love it, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much.

P.S. For my fellow contractors. I attended the IA show in San Antonio. Some major distributors have gone or are in the process of going under, I'm sure sticking their manufacturers with some hefty IOU's in the process. Should be another fun sorting out season in the low voltage world.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes

Mark B
12-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Well I get a good thread to read. Joey that looks like fun.

TXNSLighting
12-05-2009, 03:46 PM
I have inspected the hat after these comments, and i assure you it is not warped. The fixture is only there temporary so thats why i did not put it in the ground all the way. Also the stake is not flemsy or cheap at all, They are very sturdy. I have yet to have a problem with the stakes breaking and mine have been hit several times hard. I do some good testing on these. But to each his own...I highly recommend it.

irrig8r
12-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Just like I don't ever put male brass, copper or galv. threads into female PVC, I think a similar connection in lighting stakes is asking for trouble, especially if the fixture is hefty and there are kids or dogs around...

JoeyD
12-07-2009, 09:47 AM
What trouble might that be? Ever try to unthread one of those brass stakes from an aluminum or metal threaded fixture? Like I said we rarely have a problem with stakes.

Thanks again Ryan!!!

TXNSLighting
12-07-2009, 10:55 PM
No no, thank you Joey.