PDA

View Full Version : 2010 business plans, anyone?

Mike M
12-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Just wondering if anyone would like to reflect on the consumer market, and any adaptive changes you are making for your business in 2010, if any.

I may continue to stand on the sidelines with my day job, strengthening my financial position and saving up venture capital.

If anyone wants to discuss in private, just send a pm.

Thanks,

Mike

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-05-2009, 11:54 AM
1: Continue to position INTEGRA in the top tier of outdoor lighting companies in Ontario. Hire on one more full time installation tech. Hire full time office assistant.

2: Network market James Solecki Lighting Design Inc. to more Architects and Custom Builders. Develop more out of province/country work through existing network of clients.

3: Continue to develop new, innovative LED lamps and market through LED Lights Direct Inc. Develop relationships with established distributors and OEMs. Looking at standalone office/warehouse space in the new year and hiring an operations manager to run the business

That keeps me pretty busy!

Lite4
12-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Need to hire an additional lead tech and 2 more diggers.* The end of 2009 is wildly successful and looking to increase marketing and sales in 2010.*

TXNSLighting
12-05-2009, 03:50 PM
We are going even bigger into Networking. We're also going to try some door to door marketing, as well as getting in front of people with our lights. I imagine we'll be "donating" a couple systems to highly trafficed areas. Im excited about the coming year. It should be a fun one. Im considering a name change as well unfortunately..

Eden Lights
12-05-2009, 08:05 PM
"Thinking about looking for greener grass"

Mark B
12-06-2009, 02:05 PM
I will be taking the NC plumber state license exam within the month. Then hoping for a full time job at Duke Hospital. I will continue to do lighting & irritation on the side.

RLI Electric
12-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I am interested in hearing some of the techniques that you guys may use to get in front of architects and specifiers. In Connecticut you need to be licensed either with a low voltage license or a electrical license to do lighting, which is nice for me. I did do a "donated" lighting job for my town's public library which is sort of my Main street showroom. Got a lot of compliments on it which is nice not too much work though. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

David Gretzmier
12-23-2009, 01:52 AM
I have been so busy on the christmas light side I have not had time to think about growing the landscape light side that starts Feb 1.

1- I really want to give postcards a fighting chance in 2010. I have the funds currently for a monthly 4-5000 item postcard campaign for 5 months. I have said this the past 2 years and I have to pull the trigger and hope for the best. Firefly is an excellent example of if you spend it they will come.

2- building a shop for primarily Christmas Light storage but also landscape lighting expansion.

3- doubling or more our 2009 landscape light sales, and 15% or more growth in 2010 sales for Christmas season 2010.

RLI Electric
12-23-2009, 08:48 AM
I would be interested in knowing how many employees you guys have. I am a one man shop and would be interested to know how many of you are one person shops. That has always been the big question, when to take someone on. In CT you cannot simply hire a helper. They are either a registered apprentice or a journeyman. For what it's worth an apprentice is a anchor. Maybe not when it comes to digging trenches and burying wire but in the fact that it is illegal for us to leave them alone on a job.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Bobbyho. There is no shame or no crutch attached to working alone. If it makes sense for you to do so, then do so. I worked as a one man operation for 8 years, doing everything from installations, service, designs, sales, marketing, book keeping, maintenance, etc etc. It can be a very rewarding and profitable way to build a business.

That being said, I could never go back. I employ employ two full time installation/service techs and I have just made arrangements to hire a bookkeeper for 2010. You will know when the time is right to hire on help. Just be prepared in advance with strong networks to employment agencies, a firm idea of the job description, wages you are willing to pay, etc.

Merry Christmas

whoopassonthebluegrass
12-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Undercut all my competitors by 20% and maybe double or triple in size. Get a new truck and a pony.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-23-2009, 01:36 PM
I have a better idea for you Whoop... Why not raise the quality of your products and services and then increase your prices so that you are consistently 25% more than your competitors.

No point racing to the bottom.

Low price and high volume is not a great recipe for long term sucess in a service oriented business. You want to set yourself apart and be at the top of the heap.

It is awfully hard to recover from reduced pricing... Much easier to be the best in the marketplace so that people will seek you out.

whoopassonthebluegrass
12-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I have a better idea for you Whoop...

I was being sarcastic, mocking the scrubs who have no idea how to run a business. (I thought the pony part would give it away.) :waving:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Ahhh... Dry humour is so often lost on those of us who are famous for dry humour.

Mark B
12-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Whoop will you be getting a miniature or a regular size pony?

whoopassonthebluegrass
12-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Whoop will you be getting a miniature or a regular size pony?

I just figured I'd work hard and grow fast and be so successful that I'd buy a whole flock - with two of everything. :dancing:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-24-2009, 06:05 AM
Two of everything? You planning on some floods hitting the Utah area in the near future?

whoopassonthebluegrass
12-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Two of everything? You planning on some floods hitting the Utah area in the near future?

You know us Mormons... prepared for everything... (prepared for everything except that embarrassment called "Harry Reid".)

The Lighting Geek
12-24-2009, 12:45 PM
I have closed the office, moved it back home. I really cut back on everything that did not affect the quality of our work, and I like it. I have one geek in training and will add another in spring. I am planning a small radio ad campaign, and continuing in the home improvement mags I am currently in. I am continuing to develop my website, adding video next year.

I have finished 11 or 12 episodes of Yard Crashers/House Crashers, and they want me to also do 2 more new shows, Bath Crashers and Turf Wars. We will see if time allows for more shows, business comes first.

I am working on automating my trailer, 'Tactical Response Unit', to 'transform' with a remote, this should be sick! The door will open, the countertop flip out, the sign on the roof will open up, The lights in the display will sequentially turn on, all to the sound effects of a air impact gun and such, then switching to crickets while the yellow strobes on the roof flash....LOL I love linear actuators! And no, you can't have any of what I have been drinking....LOL

S&MLL
12-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Watched an episode last night.

David Gretzmier
12-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Tommy- I just finished a 3 month long radio advertising campaign. we were on 8 times, 30 second spots during the weekly radio broadcasts of all the University of Arkansas Football games, which in this state is pretty much our pro team. we also had 80 ads running on the drive time sports talk radio shows throughout each of the three months, and some others scattered throughout the sports talk shows. after about 4-500 ads running for Christmas Lights and Landscape lights, a thousand bucks later...I got....wait for it...

zero calls for bids, and several calls from ad sales guys from other radio stations.

I had great set of ads of folks talking about the lights they got, how they love them, how I have been doing thier lights for a decade or more, how the home is now wonderful to come home to in the dark, etc.

I'm not saying radio does not work. It did not work for me.

The same 1000 bucks spent on postcards would have at least gotten me a job or two.

Lite4
12-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Radio will not work for our type of service. Our electrical service side does very well with it, but they are on probably 12-15 times a day with various length spots and their signature jingle sticks so well in peoples heads that they can't help but call. They ran some spots introducing our lighting division, but they didn't produce anything. It is simply reinforcing media for all of the print you have out there bombarding folks with. Stick with the direct mail.

The Lighting Geek
12-25-2009, 01:35 AM
I am still moving forward with my print ads. I don't think it would work for everyone, but I am in a unique situation. I typically sign a couple autographs a week and I am approached several times a week due to my TV presence. My name and slogan is catchy and sticks pretty good. I am only doing 1 week a month for 3 months and my ads will be connected to my print, website and other ad material, and the TV work I am doing. I am not doing a typical add either, rather a 'did you know' type of ad with helpful info. It may or may not work, but we will see.