PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up recovery/tow straps?

mowerbrad
12-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Over the past few winters I have had to pull out a few family members and friends from snowbanks/small ditches. They have been nothing major, just pulling them back to an area where they can gain some traction. I have been very fortunate in that the few vehicles I have towed out have had tow hooks of some sort on them that I could hook up to. But what if they don't have any recovery/tow hooks on them anywhere? Where is the best place to hook up to?

I won't be doing anything major and I usually only do this kind of thing for friends and family. Just trying to figure the best ways to hook up to a vehicle.

ryde307
12-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Anything solid you can get at. Frame, axle, core support, I've even hooked into stuff under the hood.

mowerbrad
12-05-2009, 11:19 PM
I thought someone told me once not to hook up to the axle, I don't remember though for sure.

unkownfl
12-05-2009, 11:28 PM
If its in the snow the car should have hooks, or it doesn't belong in the snow to begin with. All cars have a place on the sub frame around the bumpers or you may have to take a square clipped in piece of plastic off on the front or back bumpers.

GravelyNut
12-06-2009, 03:53 AM
I thought someone told me once not to hook up to the axle, I don't remember though for sure.
Correct on the front. It can damage the vehicle. Frame is the safest place.

Gravel Rat
12-06-2009, 04:53 AM
Your supposed to hook to the grill or the winshield wipers the strongest part of the car :laugh:

When in doubt call a tow truck it will save you money and save the person your pulling out damage as you yank out the front suspension.

ryde307
12-06-2009, 11:43 AM
THe axle is not really a choice for 99% of cars but trucks suvs its there if you need it. As with all the not "normal" tow points not made for jerking a burried car out just for light pulls to help them get out.

Bigred350
12-06-2009, 01:39 PM
If there arnt any tow hooks tell them to call a wrecker. Because if you dont know what your doing and you end up damaging there vehicle you may be resposable for the damage.

J&R Landscaping
12-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Usually the frame or sub frame will have "recovery slots". Check out http://www.awdirect.com/content/tow-specs.asp
www.towspec.com

Gravel Rat
12-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Watch this and you may want to hire a tow truck I pizz myself everytime I see this video :laugh:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1qJ5IT72Aw

punt66
12-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Watch this and you may want to hire a tow truck I pizz myself everytime I see this video :laugh:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1qJ5IT72Aw
hahahahahaha natural selection

unkownfl
12-08-2009, 08:11 PM
hahahahahaha natural selection

LOL with all those people, why didn't they just lift the rear up and slide it over.
Good find gravel

MarcSmith
12-08-2009, 08:17 PM
trailer hitch....

wiht many cars nowaday with so much plastic covering up the hard parts its harder and harder to find a place were you can hook to and not do any damage.

while you may find a good hard spot to grab from if the angle from the tow vehicle is too high you may end up putting pressure on the fascia's and such.

Many european cars have the "square" removable small panel in the front/rear bumpers that a tow eye/hook can be screwed into...That eye/hook is usually located with the spare tire/jack or in the glove box.

Truck axles would be safe for a gentle pull form straight behind. but if you try to pull at an angle...I doubt you'd pull an axle off, but tweaking the alignment would be pretty easy...

this jeep is doomed from the start
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJA3J--g_yI&feature=fvw

mowerbrad
12-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Like I had said before, I won't be doing any major recovery. Just pulling friends/family out of some snow banks they may have gotten stuck in. I do have enough common sense that I know if I will break any plastic cover or not and I know which way to pull from. I just want to hear where good points are to hook up to a vehicle on.

Thanks for all the info.

punt66
12-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Like I had said before, I won't be doing any major recovery. Just pulling friends/family out of some snow banks they may have gotten stuck in. I do have enough common sense that I know if I will break any plastic cover or not and I know which way to pull from. I just want to hear where good points are to hook up to a vehicle on.

Thanks for all the info.

Its obvious that you know very little about cars or anything mechanical and thats fine. I do give you credit for asking before destroying. :drinkup:

mowerbrad
12-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Its obvious that you know very little about cars or anything mechanical and thats fine. I do give you credit for asking before destroying. :drinkup:

For me being in an industry that you need to be somewhat mechanically inclined, I know very little about cars/trucks or engines. I can change filters, oil, grease things, but anything too much more than that is beyond me. I know alot of guys with diesel trucks and they all know almost everything about their engines and how to work on them, but me all I know about my diesel is it costs me a heck of a lot of money to have things fixed on it:laugh:. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the person to ask about specific engine problems. I'm a smart guy but I just never took an interest in engines as much as I probably should have. And now, I have enough going on with medic school, that I don't really have much time to learn more about this type of thing.

So yes, I am pretty mechanically "******ed" (no offense to anyone). And yes I can probably figure out good spots to hook up to on a vehicle if I were to actually look at a specific vehicle.