PDA

View Full Version : Fresh face to the forum and business

Property Maintenance Plus
12-05-2009, 10:38 PM
:waving:Hey guys, so here is my story.
I am 20 years old(late blommer to the this I know), I have been following this site for about 4 months trying to get as much information I can about this business. I plan on starting my own Property Maintenance company in 2010. I have always enjoyed caring for lawns and doing things to improve the appearance of properties.
The reason I want to start a "Property Maintenance" and not a "Lawn Care" business is because I have experience in much more than just lawn care, mulching, etc. I know most will prob flame me for not sticking to one thing or the other, but I feel if I limit myself to one thing such as lawn care, there will not be that opportunity to grow my business to what I want it to be.
I worked construction while in high school and I am currently working for a painting company. I have also helped my dad for 2 years on the side with his little business. I want to have everything ready to go by march 1st as are season starts late here, about april, and ends in oct, then snow starts to fly in november. I already have a 16' landscaping trailer, I will be getting a truck within the next month, hopefully a dodge ram 2500:weightlifter: I plan on getting a JD resi 52 z-track or a Toro mower very soon. I know they are not the "best" in this feild, but that is the only brands that is local to me and I want to have that dealer support close by for parts and service. I have like 3 trimmers laying around until I can buy a $$ one. I also plan on getting a stihl backpack blower as well. I have my business cards, flyers and such ready to go. I plan on walking all 2500 flyers around to all the different areas around and hopefully i will see at least a 1% return on those but I would love a 2%. I figure 1% gives me 25 accounts and I can go full time with it with that amount and 2% give me 50 accounts and that will be just amount my max unless I hire some help. This is just a GOAL that I set for the first year and I believe I can accomplish it with quality and personal service. I hate the blow and go type service that many of the companies around here have become. If i work hard I know I can be successful in this business. Any advice for me would be greatly apperiated. Thanks and hope everyone had a good year! Time to break out the Plows for the guys in the east coast :clapping:

JFGauvreau
12-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Well good luck for you in the future I hope things go well for you.

I also called my company property maintenance but I will not do anything interior just exterior looks, since I'm also going to do asphalt sealing, thats the reason I didn't call it lawn care.

GreenPro7
12-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Im glad to see you have goals. I started in this business 25 years ago before you were born. Believe me, goals are important. I used to do all the mowing, landscaping yada...yada... and so on, but for me personally, I found the spraying business to be MUCH more profitable. I salute you for wanting to be a self employeed business owner, just remember you have to learn to accept the bad with the good and vise versa. I have owned 3 different lawn companys ( maintenance) through the years, built them up and sold them. My current company is 4 years old and do strickly lawn care ( no maintenance ). The mowing is good, however I found it's better to have commercial year round contracts over residential.You have to start somewhere, so hang in there and good luck!

DLAWNS
12-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Welcome to the site and good luck to you.

JFGauvreau
12-06-2009, 11:15 AM
but for me personally, I found the spraying business to be MUCH more profitable. [...] My current company is 4 years old and do strickly lawn care ( no maintenance ).

If you say it is much more profitable to have a sealing asphalt business well tell me why you are still doing lawn care just for curiosity ? I'm saying this because i'm starting a core aeration and asphalt sealing company in 2010 and would like an opinion on that by someone with experience.

Property Maintenance Plus
12-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Im glad to see you have goals. I started in this business 25 years ago before you were born. Believe me, goals are important. I used to do all the mowing, landscaping yada...yada... and so on, but for me personally, I found the spraying business to be MUCH more profitable. I salute you for wanting to be a self employeed business owner, just remember you have to learn to accept the bad with the good and vise versa. I have owned 3 different lawn companys ( maintenance) through the years, built them up and sold them. My current company is 4 years old and do strickly lawn care ( no maintenance ). The mowing is good, however I found it's better to have commercial year round contracts over residential.You have to start somewhere, so hang in there and good luck!

Thank you for the response, makes me look forward to the upcomming year. :clapping:

GreenPro7
12-06-2009, 05:47 PM
If you say it is much more profitable to have a sealing asphalt business well tell me why you are still doing lawn care just for curiosity ? I'm saying this because i'm starting a core aeration and asphalt sealing company in 2010 and would like an opinion on that by someone with experience.

Sorry JFGauvrea, I know nothing about the asphalt business. Good luck to you.