PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Galesburg/Peoria IL?? Or near by? How is business there?

andyslawncare
12-06-2009, 02:41 AM
I'm considering a move from Atlanta to the Galesburg IL area to have a partial change of career in farming with my uncle on over 3,000 acres. I'll be working 4-5 days per week during the growing season, and I'm planning on continuing landscaping and maintenance 2-3 days a weeks until I'm completely adjusted and secure in a new home there. I've got too much time and money invested to just sell and leave behind... I'm curious to how the market is there... If anyone lives in that area and could answer I would appreciate it. If you're nice, please PM me and I may have some additional questions for you.

Thanks

CSL&L
03-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Business is good. Recession hasn't really affected our area as it has others. We have grown 20% each year in terms of profit.

andyslawncare
03-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Recession hit here long ago... Our competition is ridiculous! That's good to hear... Do you do anything in Galesburg? That is where I will be living near if I move there. Probably closer to Cameron. I know that they got hit hard when Maytag closed, but really haven't searched around too much in town...

White Gardens
03-27-2010, 01:02 AM
Recession hit here long ago... Our competition is ridiculous! That's good to hear... Do you do anything in Galesburg? That is where I will be living near if I move there. Probably closer to Cameron. I know that they got hit hard when Maytag closed, but really haven't searched around too much in town...

I'm in the same area as Banda, and we haven't been doing too bad. I'm originally from the area west of Galesburg, little town called Stronghurst IL. Monmouth was part of my old stomping grounds.

Now, Galesburg is a totally different animal in respects to local economy. Not really a whole lot goes on there so I wouldn't think it would be the best of markets to do landscaping. There might be some lawn work to be had, but I'm sure the budgets would be lower.

When you go to Peoria, that's a different story too. Much larger than Bloomington/Normal and there is plenty of work to go around in that market.

I'm not sure you would want to commute to Peoria from Galesburg though as that is a little more than an hours drive.

Isn't Cameron where the two main east-west rail-lines intersect. It used to be two separate rail lines but the two companies merged.

andyslawncare
03-28-2010, 12:07 AM
That is good to know. The farm is between Galesburg and Monmouth area. I realize that residential jobs may be low, but I wonder how the commercial and industrial areas are doing?... Yeah Peoria is too far! DO may people get maintenance work on the larger properties; ie, farms, roadsides, farm houses, crop dividers, etc.??? That's how I got started liking the idea of mowing...while I was working for my Uncle cutting around the fields, I just don't know if many of those farmers would have the spare money.