PDA

View Full Version : Fire pit construction

Bleed Green
12-06-2009, 02:00 AM
I built a fire pit in my backyard last summer and it is working fine, but as of now it is just a hole in the ground and I was wanting to dress it up a little bit. What would you guys recommend I do? I was thinking about lining the walls with fire brick because now they are just bare dirt. I think this would just make it look a little nicer and more "finished". Any other suggestions how I could finish it off other than using fire brick?

Thanks for any help.

DVS Hardscaper
12-06-2009, 11:17 AM
can u please explain to the class what this is made out of?

Any pictures??

Right now it sounds like it's just a hole dug in the ground and that's it, which we call "A poor mans fire feature".........

Bleed Green
12-06-2009, 11:38 AM
well that is exactly what it is right now, a hole in the ground. I want to make it look a little better. I tried to post some pics but they are not working, I'll try again.

Bleed Green
12-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Here is one pic of it I have others too.

Bleed Green
12-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I am wanting to stack fire brick up the walls or something else just not sure what is the best option.

Bleed Green
12-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Here is another pic of it when I had just dug it and not put anything in the bottom yet. This one shows more of the area around it a little better.

kootoomootoo
12-06-2009, 04:31 PM
so easy a caveman can do it.

but it works

wurkn with amish
12-06-2009, 07:34 PM
I would fill it in and call it a day!

Bleed Green
12-06-2009, 10:29 PM
I would fill it in and call it a day!

If I fill it in then I would not have a fire pit.

yz250fpilot
12-07-2009, 08:20 AM
I'd fill it with water and put some fish in it. Then you have a pond!

Bleed Green
12-07-2009, 06:07 PM
I already have a pond though. Put that in a few years ago. I can upload some pics of that, you guys can see what you think of it. Hopefully more than the fire pit attempt LOL.

Lite4
12-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah, just morter in some firebrick on the sides to the top and put a stone cap on the brick all the way around it. Thats the best way I would approach it with what you have now.

Bleed Green
12-09-2009, 09:19 AM
thanks for the help tim.

Bleed Green
12-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Here is a pic of the pond I put in about 5 years ago. This pic is about 2 years old. I also did the brick work around the pond, I'm sure this is the part you guys would be most interested in.

nlminc
12-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Here is a pic of the pond I put in about 5 years ago. This pic is about 2 years old. I also did the brick work around the pond, I'm sure this is the part you guys would be most interested in.

You know you have an issue when the dog doesn't want to be in the picture! :)

Bleed Green
12-11-2009, 07:37 PM
You know you have an issue when the dog doesn't want to be in the picture! :)

ya I like to refer to it as he just happened to be passing through when I snapped the pic. LOL

4Russl5
12-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Dream a little and create something that speaks of you. This is the last fire pit I put in for a client this year. The Olivine stones sit 20" tall, and the pit measures roughly 7' x 8'. I like things that are sculptural, and don't make me feel like I am inside a house. I cut three boulders in half, polished the faces, and opposed them.

glaciator
12-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Give the guy a break. He's asking for help. So, here is the issue with fire pits...they don't work too well because of lack of oxygen coming in from the bottom. But, since you seem to want a simple solution, yes, line the perimeter with fire brick. Perhaps you could build a center "stand" to raise the fire off the bottom a bit. That would be my "poor man's" solution to it.

Bleed Green
12-12-2009, 09:03 AM
thanks for the help that is the way i am leaning i think.

2low4NH
12-14-2009, 09:00 AM
do not use mortar on the fire brick!!!!!! use refractory cement. mortar will break down extremely fast. i build actual fireplaces for a living trust me. i would take your hole fill it with some crushed gravel pour a concrete base and start fresh. you can build a fire pit pretty cheap if you use a natural stone

Bleed Green
12-14-2009, 06:47 PM
You mean put crushed gravel in the bottom of the pit and then pour concrete "floor" in the bottom or a concrete footing to set the brick on? And when you say natural stone do what types are you talking about, something other than fire brick?

Bleed Green
12-14-2009, 06:50 PM
do not use mortar on the fire brick!!!!!! use refractory cement. mortar will break down extremely fast. i build actual fireplaces for a living trust me. i would take your hole fill it with some crushed gravel pour a concrete base and start fresh. you can build a fire pit pretty cheap if you use a natural stone

You mean line the whole bottom with gravel and then pour a concrete "floor" in it, or do you mean line the bottom with gravel and pour a concrete footing around the perimeter to set the wall on. And when you say use "natural stone" what are you meaning exactly?

Thanks for the help and advice, I want to do this right because I want it to look good and be functional.

2low4NH
12-14-2009, 09:46 PM
any stone you want unless its a shale stone. we use field stone alot. you can still line the inside with fire brick if you want. but yes bring that area up make sure you have a solid surface to work on if you go dry laid stone just back fill with 3/4" crushed stone set stone over that. by shale stone i mean any ledge stone where you can see the veins in the stone the smaller the vein the easier they explode. fire brick will stop that if you want to do a dressed up ledge stone for a clean dry stack look.

Bleed Green
12-14-2009, 11:19 PM
So would it be alright if I kept it in the ground a little bit. Like how far are you saying I should fill it up with gravel? I like the hole cause I can make a fire and then leave it when it is down in the pit and not have to worry about it getting away from me. That is the reason that I like the hole concept.
I am thinking this is sounding this project you are describing is sounding tougher and tougher. I am trying to do this by myself and not have to have a pro do it. Do you think I can still do what you are proposing by myself without bringing in a pro?
Also how well would what you are proposing I do drain?

4Russl5
12-15-2009, 12:40 AM
You don't have to be a pro to build a fire pit, just make sound decisions with materials and the site. Why don't you bring in boulders you can move with a 'handcart/dolly' that you like, and make the shape you desire? The pit in the ground poses problems and more expense than necessary.
Try your pit that you have dug now and see how it functions. Cut the sides back at an angle so the dirt does not slide in.
Get a lawn chair, beer,friends/family, BBQ, build the fire you want in it, and enjoy it! You can make it pretty when you have the money.

Bleed Green
12-18-2009, 11:31 PM
I have been having trouble with water standing in the bottom of the pit. Would a 3 inch layer of pea gravel help drainage any?

I am still weighing my options on what to do to the rest of the pit to "upgrade" it.

wurkn with amish
12-19-2009, 10:43 AM
like I said before, fill it in call it a day. Unless you have drainage your going to have nothing but a mud hole.

Bleed Green
12-20-2009, 05:33 PM
like I said before, fill it in call it a day. Unless you have drainage your going to have nothing but a mud hole.

Well filling it in is not an option, I want a fire pit. The water table is pretty high in this area as well, that is part of the problem I am facing I believe. I have a drain hole dug in the bottom and it worked until the ground froze about a month ago. Now I guess i will just have to bail the water out till I get the money and a better plan to fix it up.

sunray
12-20-2009, 08:39 PM
fill it in stop trying to bury the pit,good for you for asking advice but like he said a fire will struggle for enough oxgen to keep it going.
it will end up ruining the fun of the pit having to always work to keep it going.