PDA

View Full Version : How much per linear foot to edge?

harleysville7
12-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I am bidding on a large commercial job with over 7500 linear feet of curbing and side walks.
They want a 1 time cost to edge in the spring with a mechanical edger and then we will maintain with a string edging...

We normally do residential and I would like to get some input on what you guys would charge for a job of this size?

Price per linear foot?

Or charge by the hour? not sure how long it would take to edge this..

ALC-GregH
12-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Here's a idea, measure off the 7500ft and walk it at the pace you'd edge it. There's what you need to charge AND you'll need to bid it accordingly if your going to maintain it throughout the cutting season. It could take WAY longer then you thought it would and you'll lose that much more each time you maintain it.
7500ft is well over a mile. I'd imagine it would take someone at a slow walking pace a good couple of hours or more if your watching to make sure you get it all. That's a lot of time spent without income on the job. Price that much into the weekly bid.

unkownfl
12-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Should take about 30-40min of walking not counting the walk back to the truck. Then you have to figure blade changes and fueling up.

ALC-GregH
12-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Should take about 30-40min of walking not counting the walk back to the truck. Then you have to figure blade changes and fueling up.
Let me guess, you can spread 10 yards of mulch in an hour?

unkownfl
12-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Let me guess, you can spread 10 yards of mulch in an hour?

I could spray 10 yards of mulch in less then a hour. Its only 1.4 miles of edging. A 3mph walk is pretty slow so thats about 25 mins to walk it is all I'am saying. I said you have to count the time back to the truck because I don't know if it is 1.4 miles going in one direction or if it is a circle. I also said to count the time to change blades and fuel up.

harleysville7
12-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I was thinking around .15 cents per foot..
This would be around $1125.00

I am sure I will go through a ton of blades and I figure it would take 2 guys at least 4 hours..

Anyone out there charging by the foot?

harleysville7
12-06-2009, 11:06 AM
I was also including the time to blow and clean up all the debris from trimming....

Any thoughts?

WHIPPLE5.7
12-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Damn wish I could get edging jobs that big. Your figure seems OK but you will earn every penny. Maybe shoot for the .15 cent per foot deal plus a the cost of a 10 pack of blades.

unkownfl
12-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I see two guys edge a bike trail that is 8 miles long in a day so thats 16 miles of edging. Of course they have a gator with a platform sticking out for someone to stand on with the edger and they pull a tow behind blower.

Richard Martin
12-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I charge a penny a foot for regularly maintained concrete edging.

The cost to do a "first time" edging job would depend on the condition of the edging but I doubt I would try to get $281.25 per man hour to do the job. That sounds seriously high.

P.Services
12-06-2009, 11:48 AM
The most important thing is how over grown is the edge? Is there dirt hanging over the side walk you will have to shovel up and remove? Is a clean edge that just needs to be freshend up?

When I edge I don't just walk forward with it. I do forward fourfeet the pull it backwards in the same grove then forward again over it and then at the end I do one pass going all forward holding it at a slight angle to open the edge up just a little wider.

So all In all I go over it 4 times not just one 3mph pass.

What are your standards?
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
12-06-2009, 11:55 AM
That's seems a little excessive going over it 4 times. I usually hit it once and watch as I go over it to make sure it's clean. I'll back peddle if I miss any.

P.Services
12-06-2009, 12:49 PM
I bet mine looks better, far better. If it is just a clean up edge then yeah once will be fine but if you are cutting a strip of turf and dirt off then 4 passes looks good.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-06-2009, 03:56 PM
some of you guys are way off .
he said 2 guys 4 hours = 8 man hours
they must be real bad if not his estimating skills are
if one guy skilled at edging it would take 1 blade change and 1 fill up
time would be 35-40 mins to edge all and at the same time a guy taking a blower follows up 15' back and then take a mulching mower or bagger unit and mow 2 swipes to clean it up
so edging and blowing would be 1.2 man hours and then the cleanup would go .5 man hours for the unit and .5 for the guy standing around 2.2 is way less then his 8

unless it is a job where it is more walking to and from edging locations then edging itself.

Richard Martin
12-06-2009, 06:32 PM
some of you guys are way off .
he said 2 guys 4 hours = 8 man hours

My bad. I was in the car driving 325 miles at 4:00 AM. Sorry.

No matter. $162 per man hour is still too high.

harleysville7
12-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Put the estimate in at $625.00

yardatwork
12-07-2009, 07:25 AM
I've read before of people charging $.50-$1.00 per foot. Maybe shoot for the $.50 since this is a larger, bulk job. You'll have blade expense, gas expense, use of power equipment, and time spent on possible blowing off the sidewalk and picking up debris.

Richard Martin
12-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I've read before of people charging $.50-$1.00 per foot. Maybe shoot for the $.50 since this is a larger, bulk job. You'll have blade expense, gas expense, use of power equipment, and time spent on possible blowing off the sidewalk and picking up debris.

So you're telling him he should bid $3750 for 8 hours of work? $468 per man hour? I don't see those numbers ever winning a competitive bid. You know he's just edging the concrete, not laying it right?

yardatwork
12-07-2009, 04:18 PM
So you're telling him he should bid $3750 for 8 hours of work? $468 per man hour? I don't see those numbers ever winning a competitive bid. You know he's just edging the concrete, not laying it right?

Haha...I know! I'm just pointing out numbers from people on here. Sometimes the figures posted make me laugh. And at the rate of "the big guys" this is what he'd be getting.

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 04:37 PM
For $3750 Ill use flat head shovel and push broom.

XLS
12-07-2009, 04:43 PM
no kidding and do it by myself too .

OUTLANDER
12-07-2009, 05:16 PM
i'd say depending on difficulty, and possible lead of more work (of course)...i'd be anywhere from $400-$700

FBT
12-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I am bidding on a large commercial job with over 7500 linear feet of curbing and side walks.
They want a 1 time cost to edge in the spring with a mechanical edger and then we will maintain with a string edging...

We normally do residential and I would like to get some input on what you guys would charge for a job of this size?

Price per linear foot?

Or charge by the hour? not sure how long it would take to edge this..

This job has disaster written all over it.

XLS
12-07-2009, 08:48 PM
i feel if you dont have the experiance to price the job ,you will not have the experiance to complete it either

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 01:06 AM
There Is one big factor. If it is new sod and if not then,how much has grass overgrown the curb. If it never has been edged you better expect more dirt and rocks then you expect. If they want superb job , you might be walking 2 miles an hour if you are good and it will take you 2 hours to finish , but if they want just overgrowth knocked off you can do it at 4 milles per hour. Kind of edger you got will make difference and how deep you put it. 1 to 2 blades consider wasted and hopefully you want have to shovel all the crap off the curb. I would blow all **** back on top of grass and if there is no rocks or debris bag one run with bagger.got to love walker for jobs like these I got bad sets of blades just for stuff like this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Worst thing I hate about commercial lawn edging is debris, rocks, bottles, and all kinds of **** in it. Make sure you got guard on edger if there is traffic or pedestrians around , that's what slows me down more then anything on first time trmming and edging jobs. I got some dealerships when I bid them it was all turf, everyweek I mow now there is 10-20 cars on grass 10-15 signs ,and all kinds of **** , I started skipping all that **** since employees refuse to move all that out of the way, after a little while they started moving everything out of the way. I gave option and told them ither I skip all objects or charge extra.
Posted via Mobile Device

C&C Landscaping
12-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I just did a edging job that was app. 750 ft. property hadn't been edged in app. 3 years. Took 2 of us 5 hrs. and had a 18ft trailer 3/4 full of dirt, grass, and wast to haul off. The over groth was in places 8 ins. over blacktop. This edging was done around all blacktop no walkways. Hope this helps. C&C Landscaping Delaware

Stillwater
12-08-2009, 09:39 AM

XLS
12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
C&C holy crap that is not edgine it eathworks lol i feel sorry for guys doint this kind of edging .

the best thing aabout walkers on commercial jobs is you dont have to pick up trash ,plastic bottles ,beer bottles, newspapers even dead cats ( man does it stink ) lol

XLS
12-08-2009, 12:51 PM
the guys have learned too , apparently a walker will bag anything it hits.

Perfect touch landscapes
12-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I was doing leaf clean up once and I walked the property anuways sucked up pooper scooper 3.5 feet long got stuck in vacum propeller, dealer said it was bend cost me 550.00 to fix it they told me it took 11 menhours to take it a part and fix it. I don't do Bisiness with them anymore
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
12-08-2009, 02:23 PM
lol no crap a poooper scooper lol the only blower we droped took a 4" long1/2" rod to do it

the blades throwed it back and it went through the blower and didnt have enough force to blow in into the box or it couldnt make the bend , reguardless it bounced up and down for 30 seconds ..............not good

the blower was around $175.00 good call dropping you dealer lol sorry for the bad luck
a walker will also eat a cowboy boot too ask me how i know hehe