PDA

View Full Version : small truck setup's

XLS
12-06-2009, 03:35 PM
i am wondering if anyone on here is using small rigs as their primary setup
truck's like
a small box on a standard 1 ton
a box built in the stake pockets serving as a cheap box truck
and units in open it the backs of pick ups .

we personally haul some walker mowers in rangers
walkers in fullsize trucks
and are considering walkbehinds in small box trucks or open as well

i would love to see any pics you guys have no bashing is needed
Thanks

brucec32
12-06-2009, 10:16 PM
I sometimes run a ZTR and 21" mower out of a pickup, but it's a HD long bed truck. I would assume a Walker in a Ranger would be fairly overloaded, and that is unsafe and might even give you problems with the insurance company if something happens. It would certainly be a liability issue.

With a driver, tools, gas, blower, trimmer, mower, etc you might be over the GVWR its rated for. I certainly wouldn't feel that safe with that kind of weight on a narrow stance with springs not designed for it.

For midsize wb's that fit between the wheel wells it might be fine. But they're 400 lbs lighter. It's not routine driving you have to worry about, it's what happens to a top heavy load when you have to make an emergency maneuver.

You might also repost that question so it's more understandable. Some of the words don't go together.

Alpha Property
12-06-2009, 10:33 PM
i can get my stander and a 21 in the back of my short box and still close the tailgate :)

XLS
12-06-2009, 11:13 PM
bruce quote me and show me what you mean "dont go togather."

the walkers dont overload them at all , especially no more then a 14' trailer behind the truck and it does this fine as well you guys got pics of them to show?

XLS
12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
and also what is this top heavy load ????? in my post.

MikeKle
12-07-2009, 12:42 AM
XLS, please do not try to build a "cheap" type box truck by using the stake pockets and plywood! There is a guy around here that did this and his truck looks ridiculous!! Plus the weight of all that would probably max out the truck bed? You could do it right by using steel and sheet metal , it would look more professional then.

XLS
12-07-2009, 12:55 AM
lol i am not really looking to do that lol i really want to see the setup overall . we do that with our leaf cleanups a leaf box ,so i just ask if anyone had pics of it lol.

i see it being an easy change over if they had a ramp lol

i want to see small area mowing crew rigs.

XLS
12-07-2009, 12:57 AM
i am struggling to get equipment to fit effectively into a small package and was just wanting to see pics of how others did it .

packey
12-07-2009, 09:35 AM
somewher I saw a guy using a toyota {ex uhaul truck } this looked like a good set up if you could find a truck like that.

XLS
12-07-2009, 09:40 AM
packy not looking for a truck itself , looking for how they have the equipment mounted in it effecently . i want a very effecient truck and things feel cluttered in our test truck .
thanks i am looking for rif pics on this scale.

MikeKle
12-07-2009, 09:52 AM
somewher I saw a guy using a toyota {ex uhaul truck } this looked like a good set up if you could find a truck like that.

Yeah, those little toyota box trucks would work great! I dont see many of them though. Those are duallys too I believe. Are they gas or diesel? I bet those get great MPG too! But how can a little truck like that haul alot of weight? I assume it is like those Isuzu 4 cyl. box trucks?? All in the tranny?

Killian
12-07-2009, 10:28 AM
I think Bruce32 is right...I have packed and repacked and never really gotten an effecient setup to leave the trailer home often. I have a dakota which is a little bigger than a ranger and its full and at max legal weight with a walkbehind, a 21 and all the little stuff. Just the walker would seem to put a ranger over the GVW and like someone mentioned it would be a top heavy awkward load.

XLS
12-07-2009, 10:30 AM
no it wouldnt guys ,please enlighten me and the many crews i have that do this daily what makes a walker in it top heavy gosh come on killian this is directed to you .

Killian
12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Just comparing it to things I have hauled over the years. A load of soggy mushroom soil makes the truck and tires squat but really never feels unsafe. My old cub cadet tractor in the bed with the snowblower on it setting on top of the wheel wells feels like if a tire blew or something broke the truck might go over (and over and over). Weight low in the bed is better. From a legal standpoint these smaller trucks are overloaded after 700 lbs anyway aren't they?
I don't mind sometimes pushing the envelope but regularly hauling a walker in a ranger would seem risky, both legally and liability wise.

XLS
12-07-2009, 12:40 PM
nooooooo .lolthe tounge weight is 600 due to the junky bumper ours can hold 1715 lbs in bed Besides rated i never stated they were stock have i . a walker would not make it tOP HEAVY , how would it ????????? it sounds as though you had more weight in he back andit caused the front to get squirly.. killian??????????your making this a my equipment issue and not on thread lol

XLS
12-07-2009, 12:52 PM
my bad 1650

Killian
12-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Ok, you asked me to enlighten why I thought what I thought... so I did.
You didn't say it wasn't stock so used info available. With a smaller mower and probably similar other equipment it was always a headache loading, unloading,squeezing stuff in etc. I gave up and mostly use my trailer, I hope you come up with something good spacewise if you have the weight issue fixed. The aggravation of the trailer is less for me than the time spent just using the truck....but I will be glad to leave it home if you get some good ideas.

XLS
12-07-2009, 02:03 PM
lol the 1650 is stock i was just stateing i had in deed never said if it was mods because the weight wasnt the ???? i was going after the top heavy part more then the weight itself what makes a walker top heavy ?????? you said it was

XLS
12-07-2009, 02:04 PM
i want pics to see the setups

XLS
12-07-2009, 02:39 PM
guys i just want to clearify the original post has nothing to do with what is being posted i am quite upset how everyone knows things by assuming this or that i just ask if anyone run the small setups . bruce32 did and i care less if you assume the rangers ar over loaded bruce thanks man you got pics of your setup ?

see i dont want bashing i want knowlage on things like this and ...........how is a walker in a ranger TOP HEAVY . i will say why it isntand it will squash it so the thread can get back on pace.

a walker mower is low and compact its weight is all around 14"-16'' the tall part of a walker is light causing no top heavy issues .

the box and seat is real heavy i guess .

anyone using teh small setup trucks thanks

Alpha Property
12-07-2009, 03:18 PM
well i think want people may be getting screwed up on is your "ranger" in your thread "ranger/walker magnum 2" mower" the pic of the truck your turning into a walker style mower.... well it isn't a "ranger" when you say ranger i automatically think of a 1/4 ton 4 cylinder mini truck, the "ranger" in those pictures has F250 badges on the side, unless i'm misunderstanding again

XLS
12-07-2009, 03:36 PM
well i think want people may be getting screwed up on is your "ranger" in your thread "ranger/walker magnum 2" mower" the pic of the truck your turning into a walker style mower.... well it isn't a "ranger" when you say ranger i automatically think of a 1/4 ton 4 cylinder mini truck, the "ranger" in those pictures has F250 badges on the side, unless i'm misunderstanding again

POST like this .........................where does this have to do with the question man , lol i called it ranger walker because the first truck we converted was a little ranger and they wanted to see and so i started the thread , nothing to do with this one . At all it is a 250 no doubt , keep those coments on that thread.

Alpha Property
12-07-2009, 04:07 PM
hey, take a minute and collect yourself, correct me if i'm wrong but when ford switched to the OBS style did they not call it a Ranger F150? i'm trying to help you if your callin a F150 or 250 a ranger, if your actually putting a guy, a walker, fuel, trimmers and blowers into a 1/4 ton ranger, well then your a moron and looking for trouble, this is what everyone else is trying to tell you, so grow up and accept the fact that if you do something stupid and make it public knowledge, your going to get some negative response.

now for your original question, I'm going to have my stander and a 21 in the back of my truck tomorrow because i'm going to have my trailer full of leaves, I'll try and snap a pic for you, but trust me it all fits in my short box chev

XLS
12-07-2009, 04:11 PM
alpha i didnt care if they load , i want to see the pics of what you guys do and how is a rangers 1600lbs payload overloaded with a 876 lb ranger a trimmer and a blower ???????????????????????????????????????????? at best is 600 lbs short ?

XLS
12-07-2009, 04:12 PM
will i need to post the trucks to show they aint overloaded to allow this to move on ?
why is it because someon dont do it ,that someone bashes it?

Yater
12-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I have a hard time understanding your posts. Is English your native language?

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 04:33 PM
I have a hard time understanding your posts. Is English your native language?

Here we go again.

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 04:35 PM
All Rangers have a 1,260 lb payload capacity.

I don't use a range but instead a v6 f-150
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/cobra305hp/trucksetup002.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/cobra305hp/trucksetup003.jpg

XLS
12-07-2009, 04:48 PM
that is the regualar cab std truck not the heavy duty crew cabs i have the owners book in my hand they have about 6 pages on it its 1650 but even at 1260 its just at peak not overloaded right .

thnks for pics i wanted this thread to be a place to post these small rigs without being bashed .
how do you load it ?

XLS
12-07-2009, 04:49 PM
got more pics ?

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
This is how I load it. I know it isn't optimum if you have employees. I actually find it easier with the standing mower then if you were to use a walk behind. The reason I believe this, is I can go down the ramps from the opposite side and not put my self in pinch point.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/cobra305hp/trucksetup.jpg

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 04:59 PM
I really want to do something like this guy has so I can have the bed free, but I want to put the 36 stander on that.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/cobra305hp/equipmentcarrier.jpg

XLS
12-07-2009, 04:59 PM
is the setup real effecient to you . do you also have a trailer to pull or not

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Yes I do have trailers as well. I will not use them once I get the equipment carrier built. I save a ton in gas and time looking for places to park. I find I can still do the same amount of lawns per day in the same amount of time.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/cobra305hp/trailer002-1.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/cobra305hp/toro003-1.jpg

XLS
12-07-2009, 05:07 PM
so they are efficent in other business models .
i ask you because alot of guys are simply starting this way but as i now know you do like the truck setup would you say truly that you like it over the trailer 100 %

XLS
12-07-2009, 05:09 PM
love the 150 husqvarnas and the 223/323L's by the way

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 05:14 PM
I would rather have a ramp from USAramps if I were to continue to use the bed. I do not like pulling the trailer for just mow and go its pointless. Maybe if I were to mow a lot of different sized properties I could justify it. I don't save anytime using the trailer; matter of fact it takes me longer. When I use the trailer I have the 48 and 36 w/b and when I use the truck I only use the wright 36 and I can get everything done in almost the exact amount of time on the same route. Its a 323l and I love it compared to the echo's and stihl's it so light and powerful.

Here is the ramps I would prefer to have. http://www.usaramp.com/products/saferamps.shtml

XLS
12-07-2009, 05:15 PM
i talked to him alot about it .

Lt rich has a caster wheel trailer look at it i promise you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=830Ii0-wtBI
let me know if it works

XLS
12-07-2009, 05:17 PM
i have searched for everything about being small like this need pic of what works like yours.

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Where do I buy that from? That is killer and solves my frame issues I have been wondering about with the no caster style I have been designing.

XLS
12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Lt rich should be able to line it up ,its their vid. i know when i found it i was like damn i am having my thing made i may get one myself

we designed a dovetail system the mounts in the hitch that we use on the rangers
ill take out the measurment so its a general post but here it is

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Looked that rack up. I don't think it would work for me because I travel at high speeds up to 80mph down the turnpike. I have figured a way to carry it though and thats to build a rack like above and add a second receiver tube into the passenger side. Thanks XLS

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 05:39 PM
You may have seen this thread, but if you haven't there is a lot of nice equipment rack ideas. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=264120&highlight=zspray+rack

XLS
12-07-2009, 05:43 PM
the lt rich should do 80 they just dont want you to lol
i like that one but i personally dont run 1 tons on the mowing crews so i think it would sag . i looked everwhere on here for pics like that .

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 05:47 PM
For the sag I will use air bags.

brucec32
12-07-2009, 10:37 PM
bruce quote me and show me what you mean "dont go togather."

the walkers dont overload them at all , especially no more then a 14' trailer behind the truck and it does this fine as well you guys got pics of them to show?

Ok, since you asked me to show you, I will. This is of course not a formal document you're writing, just a post on a web forum. We all make mistakes and typos, but yours are so numerous as to make it hard to understand what you're getting at in this thread. Proper grammar makes reading easier. It's considered a courtesy to your fellow readers to try to write coherently. Often someone will simply be lazy about it and could use the feedback. But if this is as good as you are able to write, then I apologize.

Let's see. Whew. Well, for starters, the above reply you gave has a high percentage of grammatical errors itself. There is a comma missing after "Bruce". You also failed to capitalize the first word of a sentence and/or a proper noun. There is the word "by" missing before "dont go togather". The word "dont" is misspelled. The word "togather" is misspelled. But it was more readable than your original post despite those errors.

Now for your original post.

i am wondering if anyone on here is using small rigs as their primary setup
truck's like
a small box on a standard 1 ton
a box built in the stake pockets serving as a cheap box truck
and units in open it the backs of pick ups .

we personally haul some walker mowers in rangers
walkers in fullsize trucks
and are considering walkbehinds in small box trucks or open as well

i would love to see any pics you guys have no bashing is needed

1. "I" on first line not capitalized.
2. No period at end of first sentence, or really any others for the most part, though it's unclear exactly which words are intended to be sentences.
3. Sentence fragments.
4. No commas where needed to make it more comprehensible.
5. "and units in open it the backs of pick ups" It's not clear to me what that means.
6. "We" in the next paragraph is not capitalized. Walker is not capitalized. Rangers is not capitalized.
7. "and are considering walkbehinds (walk-behinds should be hypenated or two words) in small box trucks or open as well (awkward phrasing)
8. No capitalization of "I" in final line.
9. Missing comma after "have" in final line.
10. No period in final sentence.

The individual errors are minor, but combined they make it difficult to understand and it slows down the reader as well.

As for context, you seemed to indicate that you haul "walkers in rangers". This would seem to preclude any trailers, and so you got replies indicating your little truck seemed overloaded. If you meant "we haul Walkers WITH Rangers" then that is a different thing. See how it can help if you write clearly?

Finally, read the fine type on those suspension upgrades. They usually include language urging you not to exceed the manufacturer's original rating. They do this because of lawsuits. Lawsuits like the one your insurer will likely decline to defend you in if you are involved in a serious accident because you modified the suspension beyond the original limits and their policy probably has language in it excluding coverage on said vehicles. There is more to load ratings than springs. Brakes and other components are designed to work within specific ranges and conditions. Just a hunch, but my guess is you didn't consult your policy or the underwriter of your coverage before you made those modifications. Odds are it will never matter. But bankruptcy courts are full of people who just had bad luck with things.

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Bruce,
Firstly, why does everyone have to have something to say how people write in this forum. If you don't like it, or if you can't comprehend it then move on. I see what you mean it is hard to read some of XLS's post. I'm sure he has other things on his mind then writing in such ways to please you. I'm glad you can write some what coherent, but you are far from perfect which you stated; therefore, I think you are out of line to correct someone publicly. Lastly, commas are punctuation error's.
Secondly, how is a Ranger over loaded by carrying a 4-500 lbs walk behind mower in the bed? You can look it up for yourself, and see that the payload capacity at a minimum is 1280lbs
Lastly, I know I'm no saint at grammar or punctuation for that matter, so please don't even bother wasting peoples time correcting my post.

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Oh god my transitions are horrible after editing so many times to add questions.

XLS
12-08-2009, 12:57 AM
bruce i can care less about typing, you said things dont go togather lol this is a typing issue i was looking at the question not the words of it . thinking why dont a aftermarket box go on a pickup truck i have seen the others personally so it must be the box that DONT GO TOGATHER.

the dang payload rating for the trucks are 1650 that we have not what ever you said
a walker in the bed with a weed-eated and blower will not overload it ever it may be close but not overloaded . these trucks haul the walkers in the bed and on the trailers just fine . the weigth of the walkers are 850 ish not 1000+ pounds .

all of the above had nothing to do with my OP . stick to it or leave , right ?
i dont care how or what these trucks haul i just want to see your setups or hear you info, if you cant add to theinformation then dont add post at all , none of us are in english class here.

gavin478
12-08-2009, 10:16 AM
As far as the zspray trailer,

you can find them here http://www.discount-trailers.com/swivelwheel.htm#swmobility

This site also has other 'wheelchair' carriers which these are originally designed as. You'll also see some like the hitch platform shown before too. Also check out my pic thread for my platform to hold my quick.

Has anyone thought about moving their operation into a van? I'm looking to do more city properties, and a nice work van could hold two wb's, an integrated ramp on the back and even the side door could hold everything. I think this setup would allow everything to remain inside and locked up, and there would be no reason to unload at the end of the day.

XLS
12-08-2009, 12:12 PM
good point GAVIN478 i forgot a VAN in the original post . my main goal with this thread is to see how they are setup . thanks fo including VANS . cool

XLS
12-08-2009, 12:16 PM
the main reason for my curiosity is we are adding several small crews and we are undecided what they will look like but they will haull either push mowers or 2 walks in full size trucks and was wanting to see other setups for this reaason.

pugs
12-08-2009, 01:19 PM
I am still confused how you are putting one of these on a ford ranger....

http://www.landscapemanagement.net/landscape/data/articlestandard/landscape/402005/183194/walker_mower_400p.jpg

XLS
12-08-2009, 01:36 PM
yep one of those.

its we use these , i took the measurments out to simplify it

XLS
12-08-2009, 01:38 PM
the wheels aint hardly that wide( different models ) you back the 3rd wheel between the wheel wells and back up untill you run out of room and its in there lol quit simple

XLS
12-08-2009, 01:39 PM
pugs what is your reason for doubting this , do you own a walker????

XLS
12-09-2009, 02:02 AM
i would be glad to post a pic in a few days when it quits raining if this will squah this situation . i just wanted to see other peoples .

ashs inc
12-10-2009, 11:35 AM
i would like to see that

XLS
12-10-2009, 07:48 PM
when i post the pics will anyone else be able to add to this thread? i just wanted a place on here the new guys could come get ideas as to small setups plus i will begin using the concept fully after this year. we will no longer pull trailers .

WHIPPLE5.7
12-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Alittle overdue for pics at this point, I've been following this project for some time now and I believe the 2nd coming of Christ may happen first. Maybe I missed it in one of the hundreds of your earlier post but are you using the collector system on the Walker if so where is the debris going without a trailer and if not collecting why on on earth use that particualr mower. I myself would love to run out the truck because trailers can be a pain. I have a Dodge Cummins dually with a 12' flatbed and have thaught about building dovetail/ramp setup. I could doing mowing only with that setup but spring/fall cleanups would still require trailers for sure.

XLS
12-10-2009, 08:34 PM
the crews running this setup has onsite dumping or they just blow out the back if its a low growth cutting situation the guys who can pull a trailer still can haul a trailer for debris for fall cleanups or to trim shrubs ect . not often but they have like previously stated they also pull 14' trailers with them .

will see if i can get tehn this week end

WHIPPLE5.7
12-10-2009, 09:20 PM
the crews running this setup has onsite dumping or they just blow out the back if its a low growth cutting situation

Unreal. I'm jelious. If i asked customers if I could dump clippings at there place they look at me like I was outerspace. I have always had to haul away debris. If you can get away with mulching/side discharge maybe add another mower or two more suited for mulching/side discharge. What size places are you doing. The operating out of the truck thing may work well with 36" WBs.

XLS
12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
the guys running the rangers also bag too just with other trucks and setups.
they will use the rangers on days when the big trucks are hauling things or they need the big trucks . the average lawns are as large as 3/4 acre and the crew may cut up to 35 houses in the same stop so walking is out for these guys overall . now i am looking to add alot of new location crews this spring that will have walks due to the startup cost in there locations and so i want pics is all. to see the walks in trucks

the walks are as my dealer says it , my option he dont have them the demand to keep them or even get them it is a paid in full ,then he orders situation . not one dealer carries walks of any size. i have never seen one in the field around here ever. and we would have no experiance in them .

XLS
12-10-2009, 09:45 PM
alot of our walker crews haul everything ,everytime as well . it just in some locations they compost so it works out good .