PDA

View Full Version : anyone hard of hearing?

lawnwizards
12-06-2009, 08:56 PM
i am. i dont know if its hereditary or what. i wear my ear protection but my hearing seems to be getting worse all the time. i'm only 34 but i've seriously considered a hearing aid. anyone else hard of hearing? wear hearing aids? how do you like them, do they work? thanks.

randy.

Groomer
12-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Whatcha say?

deereequipment
12-06-2009, 09:15 PM
huh? What?
Yeah, gets worse every year, even with wearing protection now.

G Lovett
12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
What I have to do now is wear two pairs one plugs and muffs this will help some

thanks

DuallyVette
12-06-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm not getting hard of hearing, but I'm better at selective listening. :)

theheisk
12-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Seems to be getting worse. I have a constant ringing in my ears.
Posted via Mobile Device

exmark614
12-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Plugs and muffs as another guy said, takes the sound down to a whole new level, much quieter!

grassman177
12-06-2009, 10:51 PM
again, what?

Kutz Lawns
12-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Yes and I used to run loud printing presses so I think that's where the majority of my damage happened but running loud machines does'nt help either!

I don't wear hearing protection either because I like to hear if anything goes wrong or when the hopper is ready to dump!

Happy Mowing!

Kennedy Landscaping
12-07-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm young but now its been happening alot, one ear rings real bad for a while. I wear my hearing protection as much as possible though.

JKOOPERS
12-07-2009, 01:32 AM
my wife says i am but wtf does she know

clinicalengineer
12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
I have been cutting for 11 years now and since i purchased my WB 3 years ago i've started wearing plugs. I used to be able to hear a conversation clearly that was going on upstairs. Jump to the present, i can still hear it but its slightly mumbled.

grassman177
12-07-2009, 01:22 PM
yeah, i wear plugs all day no matter what i do, it always involves machinery . despite that i still seem to be getting hard of hearing too. i think it may me wax buildup from all the years of sweat and the nasty. i should get them cleaned professionally but i hate the thought of being super dizzy afterward!

Damian
12-07-2009, 01:50 PM
For those suffering some form of tinnitus, have you ever shifted your jaw forward or backward and found that it helps any? I find if I just mine forward, it increases, but if I try to relax or move a little back, it can provie some relief.

GPDesign1
12-07-2009, 02:08 PM
i'm only 34 but i've seriously considered a hearing aid. anyone else hard of hearing?

Took the family to the beach for a week about twenty years ago (when I was your age!) and as was always the case with any beach trip, we had "big rowdy fun" in the ocean. In the process, I ended-up with an earful of water. Didn't think much about it... happened a million times before. That night, did the whole "cupped-palm pump thing", got "Swimmer's Ear" drops, mineral oil, etc... tried everything I could think of and nothing worked- like having my head in a fishbowl. Gives ya real empathy as to what it must feel like to be deaf. This went on 24/7 and after two weeks of not being able to hear myself fart, couldn't take it anymore and finally went to the doctor. He took a look and after about thirty seconds said, "I'll be right back..."

He came back into the exam room with a nurse who was carrying this box-looking thing with an electrical cord and hoses coming out the side. Sat it on the counter and started running warm water, then hooked it up to the machine. The nurse put a towel on my shoulder and then the Doc stuck this nozzle about the size of a sharpie in my ear and started swirling it around, blasting jets of hot water until it felt like my brains were gonna come shooting out the other side. After what seemed like an hour of this cerebral "hydro-therapy", they told me (at least that's what it looked like from reading their lips) to lean my head over to the side.

Holy Man-oh-man!!! The stuff that came out (I know- this is profoundly gross!). There was thirty-odd years worth of living crammed up in there! But after the big "ear-cavity run-off" subsided, followed by a distinct "Sploik", it was like getting brand new ears! I could hear a mouse belch at 300 yards. Like having on great pair of headphones. I could suddenly hear everything again. Way cool- we did the other side too!

If you've never had your ears properly cleaned (by a doctor), I would highly recommend it. Might not fix the problem, but it's a good place to start.

Merry Christmas Lawnsite!

gp

yardatwork
12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
I am. I wear plugs all the time while using any equipment. However, I also manager a recently signed hard rock band and spend many nights in clubs and music venues...without wearing plugs. I suspect it's a combo of a motor running all day behind my head and loud music! I'm also only 34. My most used word is "what?"

lawnwizards
12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Took the family to the beach for a week about twenty years ago (when I was your age!) and as was always the case with any beach trip, we had "big rowdy fun" in the ocean. In the process, I ended-up with an earful of water. Didn't think much about it... happened a million times before. That night, did the whole "cupped-palm pump thing", got "Swimmer's Ear" drops, mineral oil, etc... tried everything I could think of and nothing worked- like having my head in a fishbowl. Gives ya real empathy as to what it must feel like to be deaf. This went on 24/7 and after two weeks of not being able to hear myself fart, couldn't take it anymore and finally went to the doctor. He took a look and after about thirty seconds said, "I'll be right back..."

He came back into the exam room with a nurse who was carrying this box-looking thing with an electrical cord and hoses coming out the side. Sat it on the counter and started running warm water, then hooked it up to the machine. The nurse put a towel on my shoulder and then the Doc stuck this nozzle about the size of a sharpie in my ear and started swirling it around, blasting jets of hot water until it felt like my brains were gonna come shooting out the other side. After what seemed like an hour of this cerebral "hydro-therapy", they told me (at least that's what it looked like from reading their lips) to lean my head over to the side.

Holy Man-oh-man!!! The stuff that came out (I know- this is profoundly gross!). There was thirty-odd years worth of living crammed up in there! But after the big "ear-cavity run-off" subsided, followed by a distinct "Sploik", it was like getting brand new ears! I could hear a mouse belch at 300 yards. Like having on great pair of headphones. I could suddenly hear everything again. Way cool- we did the other side too!

If you've never had your ears properly cleaned (by a doctor), I would highly recommend it. Might not fix the problem, but it's a good place to start.

Merry Christmas Lawnsite!

gp

thanks for the suggestion. i'll have to look into making an appointment to have that done. i hardly go out anymore because i'm embarrassed because i cant hear very well and i'm always asking people to repeat what they've said.

Alan0354
12-07-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm not getting hard of hearing, but I'm better at selective listening. :)

That sounds like old age!!! Better yet old fart!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just kidding, don't mean anything!!!!

fl-landscapes
12-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Yes and I used to run loud printing presses so I think that's where the majority of my damage happened but running loud machines does'nt help either!

I don't wear hearing protection either because I like to hear if anything goes wrong or when the hopper is ready to dump!

Happy Mowing!

same hear.....ran sheetfed Heidelberg's, and man rolands for about 12 years....printing industry is a tough gig.....decent money though.

Alan0354
12-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Speaking of cleaning ear wax, I got an ear cleaner from RiteAid. It was only about $5.95 or so. It is just a rubber bulb with a tube like opening. You suck some warm water into it by squeeze and release while holding the opening of the tube in a stream of warm tap water. Then stick it in your ear according to the direction and squeeze!!!! It is sure a funny feeling but crap pouring right out!!! I do this every 3 months just to keep my hearing.:waving:

And this I am not kidding!!!

DuallyVette
12-07-2009, 09:08 PM
That sounds like old age!!! Better yet old fart!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Just kidding, don't mean anything!!!!

HEY, HEY, HEY !!!
I represent that remark !!

DuallyVette
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I am. I wear plugs all the time while using any equipment. However, I also manager a recently signed hard rock band and spend many nights in clubs and music venues...without wearing plugs. I suspect it's a combo of a motor running all day behind my head and loud music! I'm also only 34. My most used word is "what?"

The reason they invented texting, is because of all the kids that are going deaf from using loud mp3 players.

Exact Rototilling
12-07-2009, 10:51 PM

Happy Mowing!That is what my flight instructor told me about wearing ear plugs during flying lessons. Pure BS....You can actually hear what you need to better when wearing plugs or muffs. You will adjust to muffled sounds to listen to what you need to hear. You ears will not be overloaded and you be able to hear what you need to. This job doesn't pay enough to go deaf over. You will notice that you get less tired at the end of the day wearing hearing protection. I even wear my Shure EG2 on long trips in the car or I wear ear plugs.

I wear Peltor H10A...the one that have a -30db rating. The Shure EG2 headphones that have a -25 db rating to them so yes it is fairly nice environment to listen to even classical music. The Shures were originally developed so rock stars and musicians don't have to go deaf. Many are still hell bent on it regardless. :hammerhead:

I never want to be like my dad who swears his hearing is fine 100% but his TV volume is loud enough to hear clearly from the driveway in the middle of winter.

In primitive cultures the hearing of old people in their 80's is comparable to that of a 35 year old office worker in an industrialized country.

topsites
12-08-2009, 02:10 AM
I agree, hearing loss despite wearing hearing protection is bad enough.

Alan0354
12-08-2009, 03:36 AM
HEY, HEY, HEY !!!
I represent that remark !!

I apologize. Don't mean to offend you.:waving:

Think Green
12-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Anyone whom does this business will experience some ringing of the ear at some point in time. IF you don't, then consider yourself lucky or you are still green on the green.
I use Peltnor Earprotector's and while on the Exmark, the bass rumble of the machine still vibrates within the protector's. It almost drives me crazy! I get not ill experiences while riding the Walker with the protector's on.
It is ironic that some of the panel above mentioned their past experiences with other loud machinery. The involvement with printing presses--same here! Other experiences involving excessive loud machinery............! Can't get away from 18-wheelers, dumptrucks and other excessively loud city noises during the course of the days mowing.
I grew up playing in garage bands with the influences of the late 70's and 80's hair bands. Played in clubs and other venues hat had poor sound concussion. Stage monitor's that had to be loud just to hear the other members. Anyway, our job is what it is---------loud!!!!
IF you are one of these guys that do this with their line trimmers,,, I am not picking on you but you are killing your hearing. Case and Question!!!!!!
I see alot of guys holding the line trimmer straight up with the engine resting next to their left ear. Why??? Is this a comfortable place for the use or has no other way been trained??
Just a question,,,,,,,,,,not a bashing!! None of our men use the line trimmer this way!!