PDA

View Full Version : 21' users: Do you go clockwise or counter?

Damian
12-07-2009, 02:47 PM
I've been using Snapper 21" for as long as I've worked. My mowers are old - if that matters today - so they have the "drive mechanism" or thumb drive (if you have a sense of humor) on the right side of the handlebar. Years ago, it occurred to me that by going in a counter clockwise position was most efficient because the left hand never had to leave the bar.

Over the years, especially when mowing the meeting of the turf with the payment, it seems that clockwise tends to cut the grass differently due to the direction the blade spins. Maybe I'm wrong and of course will stipulate that a flat lawn meeting a flat service is different than a curved lawn meeting a flat pavement, but still, I feel cutting counter-clockwise is less hard on the grass closest to the curb/walkway/driveway/etc., than cutting clockwise. So...

For those using 21" mowers, do you find that one method is harder on the lawns' edges than the other or not? Also, do you find, especially if using mulching blades, that less grass is left to deal with doing one way or the other?

For what it's worth, I'm predominately right handed and feel I have more control over the mower - especially on any kind of slope - than I would if I were mowing clockwise. Further, virtually all my lawns are St. Augustine, so maybe if the type of grass matters, you now know.

greenerman
12-07-2009, 03:34 PM
I am a bit confused as to what you are referring to as cutting clockwise vrs counterclockwise? I first cut the perimeter of the lawn clockwise or counterclockwise depending on which direction I did it the last time as everyone should know that it is healthier for the lawn to change your cutting directions each visit. Then I cut through the middle from one side to the next and come back and forth til the lawn is all cut. The next week when I cut across the middle, I do the cut criss-cross from the previous week, again so as to not cut the lawn the same direction all the time for reasons that you can google if you like. Mulching with the HRC216 with the blades sharpened a certain way does not make any difference which way I cut as nothing is ever left behind.

RLS24
12-07-2009, 03:55 PM
dude, you're WWWAAAAAAYYYYYY over-thinking this....

T.E.
12-07-2009, 04:01 PM
dude, you're WWWAAAAAAYYYYYY over-thinking this....

My thoughts exactly! I'm fairly intelligent, but I don't think I have the extra brain cells to spend time thinking about things like this.

ed2hess
12-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Put the mulching blade on and cut cw.......the reason is the unit will drop a little bit of cuttings on the right side and you can pick that up on the
next round.

Richard Martin
12-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Put the mulching blade on and cut cw.......the reason is the unit will drop a little bit of cuttings on the right side and you can pick that up on the
next round.

Yeah, on micro small yards with a narrow gate (the only ones I use a 21 on) I always go CW.

ae lawn and snow
12-07-2009, 09:26 PM
when i mow, i always go clockwise around the perimeter for two reasons. first my mower has a hinged cover on the right side of the deck and i almost broke it on several occasions. and second, the deck tends to suck up leaves and trimmer clippings better on that side, otherwise they tend to get blown aside. i alternate the mowing pattern but never the perimeter pass. i guess i never thought about that.

Kutz Lawns
12-07-2009, 09:40 PM
My right side sucks up better than the left side so I go counter clock wise, same with the ZTR too!

Hoy landscaping
12-07-2009, 09:51 PM
i just cut. and blow the clippings in to the yard or bag them

ed2hess
12-07-2009, 10:15 PM
My right side sucks up better than the left side so I go counter clock wise, same with the ZTR too!

Let's see.....blades go CW on most of my machines except Cougar so what kind of unit do you have:confused:

STIHL GUY
12-07-2009, 10:43 PM
for the times i do use the 21'' i see no diffrence in what direction i go and usually just go back and forth in straight lines

Damian
12-10-2009, 01:18 AM
So you see no difference in the amount grass on the hard surfaces?

dishboy
12-10-2009, 11:11 AM
next round.

If your mulching decks are leaving a trail on the right side you need to change something as you are leaving mulching performance on the table. Modern mulching technology gives even dispersion of clippings. Finding out which technology works is the mystery and secret that those who know probably won't share with the internet masses. Test , test test!
Doing a extensive patent search will also be helpful.

To the OP, rotating directions will stand up the turf better than picking one direction.

MyKisa
12-10-2009, 02:05 PM
can make a good bit of difference.Cutting in the same direction makes the grass grow into a particular direction...countering that direction occasionally can not only offset footprint (using 21" in lieu of zt), but alter direction flow of grass growth. Be sure to mow no lower than last cut, for it can prove to be a bit too revealing.....most notably on zoysia

N.TX
12-10-2009, 08:12 PM
I get what your saying. I am always telling the guys to go clock wise 2 permiter strips then back and forth after that. Here are my reasons for going clockwise.
1: Mulching mowers have a better vaccum on left side resulting in a better cut along pavement
2: Most not all but most guys are right handed and seems like the ones trying to go counter clock wise are always banging stuff up or banging the mowers on the fence because for whatever reason they cant seem to use their left hand to pull it away from the fences

WHIPPLE5.7
12-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I prefer clockwise on 21"s because my pullrope will hang up on fences the other way. I do notice that in tall wet grass the left side cut bags way better so thats another reason to go clockwise so I can do a half overlap if needed to pickup extra clippings/leaves. Even with the 36" dual-hydro WB I mostly go clockwise unless I'm striping but many smaller yards don't allow the room to mess with striping. Also if I'm side discharging I need to clockwise for the first 2 or 3 laps then switch to counter that way I don't blow wet clippings all over buildings, windows, sidewalks, etc.

Rupslawn
07-01-2012, 04:07 AM
Honda mower manual recommends counterclockwise when mulching and clockwise when bagging. HRC model series, p. 27, Operation. Not a big deal, yet, operationally, more efficient.