PDA

View Full Version : Business cards vs. flyers/doorhangers

Basilhayden
12-07-2009, 04:20 PM
I need your opinions on this idea. This will be my first season in the business and I am getting ready to start ordering cards and or flyers. I can get 3000 doorhangers from 3000doorhangers.com for around $200. I was thinking instead of the doorhangers, I can just have 5000 business cards printed out at around $100 and then have a rubber stamp made to stamp the back of the card with "Estimate" and write in the amount of the estimate and attatch those to peoples doors. I work in a high traffic business, so I can also slip cards into customers bags when they checkout. I am planning on having a pretty basic website, so I can put the web address on the card and they can go there for additional information. Are there any drawbacks to this idea?

T&J Landscaping
12-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I need your opinions on this idea. This will be my first season in the business and I am getting ready to start ordering cards and or flyers. I can get 3000 doorhangers from 3000doorhangers.com for around $200. I was thinking instead of the doorhangers, I can just have 5000 business cards printed out at around $100 and then have a rubber stamp made to stamp the back of the card with "Estimate" and write in the amount of the estimate and attatch those to peoples doors. I work in a high traffic business, so I can also slip cards into customers bags when they checkout. I am planning on having a pretty basic website, so I can put the web address on the card and they can go there for additional information. Are there any drawbacks to this idea?

you want to offer both of them work both for me ,

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Both. You simply can't get all the info you want across in the 5 seconds you have when you hang a card vs door hanger.

JFGauvreau
12-07-2009, 07:39 PM
This actually respond to one of my questions I had.

I had an estimate for about 2000 flyer's, laminated, both sides for 1300$ (CAN.)

I want to know how long does 2000 flyer's last for you guys in summer?

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 07:46 PM
You could pass out 2000 flier in a week here in FL

JFGauvreau
12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
alright so then it is expensive for flyer's, maybe I should go with door hangers when customers are not home or flyer's when they are home. I should get some cheaper flyer's then the laminated ones.

What method do you use for your flyer's

unkownfl
12-07-2009, 09:55 PM
one side single color I paid 750 for 25,000

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-08-2009, 08:32 AM
one side single color I paid 750 for 25,000

2 questions.

1) Where do you get yours from?
2) How well did they work for you?

I'm thinking of hitting it hard in Mar before we start back weekly

unkownfl
12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Alpha press on John young.

jdutcher003
12-08-2009, 02:35 PM
why not just get postcards instead of doorhangers? I got 5000 postcards full color on both sides for right about $200

JFGauvreau
12-08-2009, 07:25 PM
wow you guys have great deals, 750 for 25k flyer's.

So single color works? hmm

unkownfl
12-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Single color works for me at least. I know a lot of people that go the door hanger route and nobody I knew has used full color because of the price. If you really want to show your work off make a website and put the address on it.

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Did you pass them all out? If so what was the % return?

unkownfl
12-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I passed out about 5000 of them last year. It was the only way I advertised and I got about a 2% return. Most were one time deals. I ended the year with 20 annual contracts, and about 10 just mow it every week or other week until I tell you not to anymore. I got burned by a few now I only do prepaid work until after a few months. I have about 20000 left so it should last me two more year. I plan to hit it harder this year.

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-08-2009, 08:40 PM
You and me both. Last few years I was runing after comercial and I'm just tired of it.

JFGauvreau
12-08-2009, 09:41 PM
I passed out about 5000 of them last year. It was the only way I advertised and I got about a 2% return. Most were one time deals. I ended the year with 20 annual contracts, and about 10 just mow it every week or other week until I tell you not to anymore. I got burned by a few now I only do prepaid work until after a few months. I have about 20000 left so it should last me two more year. I plan to hit it harder this year.

so you got a 2% on 5k flyer's? What way were you using to "passed out" like were you just leaving the flyer's there or you actually spoke to 5000 or so homeowners, door to door?

unkownfl
12-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Had kids hang them during the day.

JFGauvreau
12-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Alright I see, i'm planning on buying maybe more quality flyer's, more than 1 color and laminated and do door to door sales, has been working for me in the past, it takes way longer to get rid of 2000 flyer's but at least you speak directly to more potential clients. Even if they don't take your service that day, they will know the services on your flyer's since you were there that day to explain/educated to them.

unkownfl
12-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Good luck no one is home during the day around here. Your possibility of staying in a neighbor hood knocking on doors is zero here as well. I can hit a whole sub of 200-400 homes in a hour and no one will know I'm there until I'm gone. When I leave I do however get some colorful voice mails most are probably LCO themselves claiming to be home owner board members or something else.

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-08-2009, 11:10 PM
You must throw them in bags to get bad calls huh. I never even take the comps add off my clients house. They never switch but they can if they like.

I was thinking of getting 10,000-20,000 and hit the same 5000 houses a few times

unkownfl
12-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Not sure what you mean by bags? I hang them on the door knobs or roll them up and slide them into the handles. I always check when they are done and make sure there isn't a mess. I'm sure for every LCO that leaves them on the doors there is 10 others that take them down. Almost every sub I hit had no soliciting signs thats why I got a lot of nasty calls. Trust me I have been hanging door hangers for 10 years now. Of course this is the first year for lawn mowing. I use to do it all through High School for a pizzeria lol.

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-09-2009, 12:00 AM
I forgot we were talking door hangers. I was just wondering why the bad calls but now I see. A few years back I used a few fliers to write a bill on and had a few pay late cause someone took my flier down and put up theres.

XLS
12-09-2009, 04:28 AM
lol we got a call from a city when our guys didthis in a town 100 miles away it works great , yes sir how may i help you , yes we have complaints of your company passing out flyiers in a complex in blahblah...... no sir it must be a type- o we are located in blah its over 100 miles over there, this is kind of funny they are putting out flyers with our number on it , i bet they dont get any work dont you ? if your town would like to come down and see we are in fact way out of town give me a call and we will make the arangments , have a great day .

i love doing that i had one city police department TELL me i was required to pay a town tax of some kind and have a different ins for soliciting WTF so i politly told him if he felt froggy to come to blah and get the tax we wasnt in his town if not GOOD DAY it was very professional lol

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Thats one good thing about living in orlando. As long as yyou stay out of winter park and windermere the cops dont got time to mess with you. Bad calls or not I need to make a push this year. If I can get a 1% responce, I'll pay the ticket if they like

JFGauvreau
12-09-2009, 12:10 PM
I know that door to door sales don't work during the day, I was planning on doing it at around 3:30pm till 9pm when the most home owners are home.

XLS
12-09-2009, 12:50 PM
its odd how each location acts toward the door to door in some areas we cover it is the only way to sell in others its door slam i would guess we have 20k flyers that are in anygiven city dump where most take it and go sheey another cdvertising company take it ,walk in never look at it and throw it away . i feel its a lose lose lose no mater how you do it , it is the persistance that pays off lol if they throw away 1 flyer of yours its 1 and nothing but if its a card ,a flyer a newspaper add and a lot of trucks with you name they dont really ralize they want us and you day they need help and out of their head call xxxxx

XLS
12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
i also love these quotes i picked up while door to door.

I DO LAWN MOWING (i am glad he does)
I do it MYSELF ( then dont call me in augusthen its hot )
I have a Lawn Guy ( so we named certian business locations THE LAWN GUY's )
and my favorite....
do you do BI Weekly ( only if it rains a week )

JFGauvreau
12-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Yes of course their is lots of up and down about door to door, but I think they is such a bigger advantage to go door to door, talking with many potential clients then just dumping flyer's everywhere. Even if they don't want your service they will have more respect to your flyer and services since you were there that day to explain to them.

I had places were I started working at 3:30-4pm, everyone liked me and my service, came back the next day with pre book services. Some other places people are just hating on me lol.

XLS
12-09-2009, 01:39 PM
yep it is ...big difference in how they percive you when they talk to neigbors its just another lawn guy compaired to yeah it's , he talked to me and understands what i am looking for and he is a church going family buy .......they know you on a small personal level. i have people request odd things non work related because they trust us
we had a lady ask yesterday if she could ship a package to us and have us bring it to them for a surprise for her husbandfor christmas and they would be out of town a week at that time . i love interacting with the clients also

JFGauvreau
12-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Yup I agree, I don't know why not many people do it on this site, instead they just throw flyer's everywhere. Maybe its because they don't have the sales skills you need for door to door.

I've had customers once telling me the only reason they bought my service is because I actually took them outside. (I try to get homeowners on their lawn or their asphalt, depending on the service, and then I point them whats wrong and what I can do to fix it)

A homeowner that is standing in his doorway is not good, its easy for him to close the door, but if you bring him outside, your chances just double.

unkownfl
12-10-2009, 03:20 PM
It may work in your area. If you go knocking on doors in a HOA here the cops will be there to kick you out and trespass you in a matter of 5 doors.

JFGauvreau
12-10-2009, 03:34 PM
It may work in your area. If you go knocking on doors in a HOA here the cops will be there to kick you out and trespass you in a matter of 5 doors.

That's weird, maybe the laws are not the same, I live in Ontario/Canada and here you need a license to be able to go knocking on door to sell something. And only the by law officers, will check if you have a legit business and have a license to be doing door to door.

XLS
12-10-2009, 08:15 PM
i agree it must be different unknown they allow door to door but not soliciting by flyers with out perments the franklin location was a hos and we had 120 people before we ever found out about a hoa 9 i think a lawn guy reported us after the flyer ws left at his house) because no one ever said anything to me directly when we went to talking except 2 guys 1 was a lawn guy . which do you think turned us in lol

JayD
12-10-2009, 10:54 PM
why not just get postcards instead of doorhangers? I got 5000 postcards full color on both sides for right about $200

How do you get them out. You cant put them in mail box unless you pay postage, so tell me how your doing it. I was thinking of door hangers cause you can just hang and go.

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-11-2009, 07:37 AM
You can slip a post card or folded flier between the weather strip in the door crack

JayD
12-11-2009, 09:40 AM
You can slip a post card or folded flier between the weather strip in the door crack

Yeah, I think I will play around with that on my door and see how that works. I did find another site last night that has them with a sticky strip on the back so you just pull off the paper and stick it to the door. Its funny though, after watching their video on door hangers they talk about how many people now have storm doors and most of them have a long straight handle and they show you how a reg door hanger wont work....now they got me thinking about the reg ones. I guess I will need to drive around and look to see how many homes will be a problem.

Lawn Shark prop mgmt LLC
12-11-2009, 12:18 PM
I guess the door to door sales pitch works in Canada. In my area of Central Fla it's a waste of time. Alot of people are not home, and most of the one's that are home don't answer the door when they see it's someone trying to sell them something.

JFGauvreau
12-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Thats weird, well like I said, it worked for me in the Toronto, Ottawa area,and in the Aylmer (Québec) is a gold mine. There is a lot of different tricks to door to door, the first one is not to look like a salesman when walking to door, like with a flyer or binder in your hand :P

unkownfl
12-11-2009, 07:41 PM
The door hanger out can roll up and put behind the handle. I have been doing it for a long time and to this day I haven't came across a door handle I couldn't use a door hanger on.

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Well that easy to say but when you got 2000 to put out that day you cant run to the truck for each house. You have to have them on you. Around here for the time it takes you aint getting ahead from knocking. You can knock on 400 doors in one sub and might get 50 people to answer. If you land one thats all you'll land. Where I can hit 2000 in a day just walking and will get at least 2.

JFGauvreau
12-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Well nothing I can say but you live in Florida I live in Ontario, so I guess people are not the same..

CkLandscapingOrlando
12-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Probly not so trusting down here. I know if I get the time to really talk to a client I can sell it. It's just all the time you have to put in around here just to get a door open. Then most of those dont want to talk

pararest
12-11-2009, 09:03 PM
do both.........

and also invest in a nice website.....

Micah Owner
Paradise Restored
http://www.paradiserestored.com

JFGauvreau
12-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Ya i'm gonna create my own website, already have some experience with that, and planning on putting ads on phone book, newspaper and restaurant menu although that will cost a lot.

bulldogg
12-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I am having trouble findnig a descent online company that I can use to print the door hangers and/or postcards. I have seen a company called tangoprint.com but the website will not come up anymore and then i have seen the 3000doorhangers.com. does anyone have any suggestions on a good site that has nice products for a descent price?

Thanks

JayD
12-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I am having trouble findnig a descent online company that I can use to print the door hangers and/or postcards. I have seen a company called tangoprint.com but the website will not come up anymore and then i have seen the 3000doorhangers.com. does anyone have any suggestions on a good site that has nice products for a descent price?

Thanks

Bulldogg............YOU NEED to go to plan-itgraphics.com......
Bob has been doing guys on here for a long time and his work is great...He is also a lawn care business owner too so he knows first hand what works for us....His prices are really good too. I have just ordered from him again and waiting for them to get out of printing....He did a logo, and door hangers...Just go check his web site out...He is in Florida for a few days but I'm sure he will be checking his email and he will respond...Trust Me....

Jay

bulldogg
12-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I will check him out

igtgame
12-30-2009, 10:18 PM
when you say postcards-do hang them on doors or just get a mailing list and send them all over? How you do you obtain a mailing list?

M&B LAWN CARE
12-30-2009, 10:29 PM
i order from vistaprint.com 600 for 50.00 here is the link to my postcards
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=299684

JayD
12-30-2009, 11:50 PM
i order from vistaprint.com 600 for 50.00 here is the link to my postcards
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=299684

mike.......i cant get that to come up, did you try clicking on it to make sure it works..

M&B LAWN CARE
12-31-2009, 12:20 AM
mike.......i cant get that to come up, did you try clicking on it to make sure it works..

yes i just now tried it and it came up fine for me, wonder why its not working for you!