PDA

View Full Version : here is a mower im thinking about starting out with

FART HEAD
12-07-2009, 07:15 PM
seeing hows i don't have alot of income right now, guess ill start with one i found at lowes. take a look tell me what you think.http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=303531-270-12AI869F011&detail=cr&lpage=none

RJR7110
12-08-2009, 11:15 AM
How many yards do you plan on cutting every week?

punt66
12-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Will you be naming your business "FART HEAD"?

shane mapes
12-08-2009, 11:19 AM
trust me you will spend more on repairs then if you were to find an old comm. mower for sale @ the local dealer or craigslist. trust me i did the same thing back in 04.save some grief & get something that can handle more then a few hours a week.

ox6603
12-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I would definately go after a used walk behind over that. Keep in mind homeowner mowers are built to be used for maybe an hour a week and last for a few years, 30 hrs a year. A commercial mower could see that much in a week, not to mention constant starts and stops
Posted via Mobile Device

Jay Ray
12-08-2009, 12:16 PM
At least it is rear wheel drive. It's a new TB model and a new design apparently so a lot is unknown about it.

That TB will get you off the ground, probably not very far off the ground, but get you started.

The day will come soon enough when you regret buying it, however.

I wish now I had bought the good stuff right away, but it looked a lot different back then when I was hemorrhaging cash out with not much cash coming in.

Mowingman
12-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Troybilts are the junkiest of the junk. Parts are often impossible to get for weeks, if ever. Trust me, you will be lucky to get through one or two weeks with that machine before it falls apart. I was an authorized Troybilt dealer and service center a few years ago. Do not buy any type of Troybilt mower.

FART HEAD
12-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Haha, well if i did name it that, bet i would get noticed. no i need a proffesional name. i always thought they where they crapiest of crap to. when i seen it like jay ray said i noticed they have made this one different in some ways. that being said, you guys are right, commercial would be the best idea. i would like to get up to 15 yards this year.

Mowingman
12-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Check out some of the medium priced snappers, Gravleys, Ariens, toros, or John Deeres that DEALERS have available. Do not buy anything sold at Sears or a "big box" store. A dealer will have some lower priced, but solid machines. An independent dealer will also have parts and service available when you need it.

FART HEAD
12-08-2009, 02:21 PM
thanks i will do that.

Jay Ray
12-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I've been using a Snapper Hi-Vac 21" (discharge, mulch, bag) with the six-speed rear-wheel-drive for almost six years as a trim mower and for some whole yards. I've rebuilt the drive three times and put belts on two or three times, put all new wheels on it twice, and am on the third engine. But it is easy to work on (have mechanical experience) and it has a lot of hours on it, parts are easy to get locally. It was around $750 with optional swivel wheel kit ($100) which is wore slap out now. I've gotten the replacement Briggs engines from smallenginewarehouse.com pretty cheap. The flat heads seem to last better than the OHV engines but any new mower comes with OHV now, I think.

FART HEAD
12-09-2009, 12:54 AM
nice, ill give it a look.

XLS
12-09-2009, 01:04 AM
husqvarna offers a casterwheel , blade brake clutched, mulch bag discharge for less then 500 with a honda engine . but we personally have been using 7021 for $300 and they are rated for profesional use and have 700 hours on the one we tested to kill and it is flawless will be looking at the casters for future work , you might want to give them a look.

FART HEAD
12-09-2009, 12:13 PM
wow yeah i really like both those mowers. my price range too.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-09-2009, 12:18 PM
fart head, if you are serious about growing a biz, might want to change that screen name.

FART HEAD
12-09-2009, 12:18 PM
lol your cool dude. nice verse, my dad was a ww2 vet and a pentecostal preacher.

Stillwater
12-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Hey Fart head whats with that name? can you take a minute to explain the rational and thought process thats behind your decision in choosing that name for yourself

FART HEAD
12-09-2009, 12:32 PM
your also cool dude. i've read some of your post and learning alot thanks.

starry night
12-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I guess his use of language "You're cool dude" also explains his use of Fart Head as a username. But, hey, that's cool. :)

One another comment about this thread. I remember many years ago purchasing a Troy-Built rototiller. That was one heavy piece of stuff. Too bad how companies have to be sold to others who don't maintain the integrity of the original company.

hackitdown
12-09-2009, 02:01 PM
If you buy from Lowes, there is almost no warranty other than to return it. Parts will be impossible to get. I don't think Lowes offers service on anything.

Get the same POS from a dealer, and a least they will get the thing running again when it falls apart from commercial use.

That said, I have a similar POS toro 21" I use on 3 lawns, it has lasted 4 seasons. So far.

FART HEAD
12-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Right on, well i think ill go with the husq from sears and take it back no questions asked.

Barefoot James
12-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey fart head look at the wright 36 inch for sale on this site - GREAT deal for 4500 will last you for many years. They guy is in IL.

Valk
12-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Are you planning to bag, mulch, side-discharge?

XLS
12-09-2009, 09:18 PM
head you wont take it back 700 hours of hell and our test is still just fine if you go with them high end husqvarna units you are good no matter what they say you can get good under $ 1200

Barefoot James
12-10-2009, 08:00 PM
xls - go aHEAD and say his real name fart head - it's ok that's his name fart head - I laugh everytime I think about that name fart head I just like to say it - weird?? My whole family thinks I have lost it - maybe I have but we have four boys in our family and fart jokes are big around boys. Just say fart in front of a kid and they laugh - i'm laughing right now - again - yes I'm weird but so is HISname. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:.

starry night
12-10-2009, 08:27 PM
James, you've been smokin' that "compost" again, haven't you?

Barefoot James
12-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Dirt your just jealous don't be a fart head hater - :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

FART HEAD
12-11-2009, 12:37 PM
haha, makes me laugh to. think ill go with a honda model or the honda husq. or try to find and used walk behind. i will be mulching and baging, but i really just want to mulch and go.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-11-2009, 04:59 PM
You know, I came back to this thread to read up, merely because of this guy's name 'FART HEAD'. Maybe he is on to something with the name - like 'FART HEAD Quality Lawn Service' or something like that. Man, that would attract attention on the side of a truck!

Barefoot James
12-11-2009, 07:03 PM
DA....... (by the way your name is WAY to complicated - :laugh:)

How about "We know stinky service when we see it - so hire us Fart Head Lawn Service - we gas the competition"

I wish they had a farting smily face icon :farthead: - nope doesn't work

jiggz
12-11-2009, 07:54 PM
i have always used the lawnboys "insight series" with the tecumseh engine wich i dont think is available anymore, now they use brigs and honda.. the honda being the better option obviousally..anyhoo there around the same price 400$.. they are a homeowner model but i have used them HARD for 5 years at a time.. the only reason the engine died is cause it ran low on oil.. but they were used a good 5 hours a day 6 days a week

FART HEAD
12-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Ok ill go look at them, yeah funny name, if i make it in this buisness i won't be a fart head anymore, then you guess will have to call me BIG SH##.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Good luck in your pursuit, fart.

Jay Ray
12-17-2009, 01:16 AM
i have always used the lawnboys "insight series" with the tecumseh engine wich i dont think is available anymore, now they use brigs and honda.. the honda being the better option obviousally..anyhoo there around the same price 400$.. they are a homeowner model but i have used them HARD for 5 years at a time.. the only reason the engine died is cause it ran low on oil.. but they were used a good 5 hours a day 6 days a week

If they would put that Tecumseh on the old offset deck I'd buy one for Christmas. Or a Briggs or a Honda. I just like the old deck.

JMLandscaping
12-17-2009, 07:01 PM
I started with the Lowes 21" non self propelled w/ the HONDA engine. BEST motor. starts right no prob. I ran it 10 hours a week for 3 years still use it as a trim mower/ backup. 250$?? and you'll always need a small mower....

LewisLawn
12-18-2009, 04:06 PM
i still periodically use a troy-built when i mow my in-laws yard if i don't have my commercial stuff w/me. it is old, electric start, one turn of the key fires right up...father-in-law also lets me keep his troy-built HORSE roto-tiller at my place...i think it weighs more than my ZTR...i have seen similar models to it go for more on craiglist then it cost him new...i've told him to leave it if nothing else to me in his will...don't talk smack about the troy-built stuff unless you are talking about recently made stuff.

JMLandscaping
12-18-2009, 06:53 PM
yeah old real troy bilt stuff is great..the troy bilt mower that I have isnt anything special it just has the honda motor. In my eyes all of the HD and Lowes mowers are the same its all about the motor...there are no transmissions or anything important to break. When you talk about honda commercials, real lawn boys etc its another story

C-Level Lawns
12-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Hey Fart,
find a dealer your going to partner with. Tell him whats up what your looking for what you can spend. I purchased my first z from my local toro dealer. He partnered with me gave me the same deal as a new mower if it breaks I get a loaner no charge. He invested in me I invested in him I now have a 09 toro's z 48 and a grandstand 52 09 and a 08 40 walk behind all from the same dealer I get walk in service high priority repairs and loaners no problem. My dealer grew with me.
I agree with the rest commerical equipment is built to run 10 hrs a day 6 days a week. I had a resi toro z I gave to a buddy to use. They can't handle daily use without major expenses.

XLS
12-19-2009, 12:37 PM
c Level is seeing it in a good way talk to your expected dealer we will be glad to help your business brow as much as his business grow,if he is a good dealer. we buy every unit we own through the very same dealer as well and i can say its nice making a phone call and explaining what the unit is doing and hearing himsay have your guys bring in in and we will get it out while they wait if it needs parts it will take 2 days for the parts to be i and we will be on it as soon as they come in .

our dealer actual sent us a surprise 2 days back he sent us a chek it totaled $250.00 and it said hope your family as a good christmas ,a little something to help santa with the little one presents . from our family to yours, merry christmas love you guys .

the best i can figure it averaged just 3 $for each unit we had bought from him this year but ,it was his choice and a great gift.

expilot
12-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Haha, well if i did name it that, bet i would get noticed. no i need a proffesional name. i always thought they where they crapiest of crap to. when i seen it like jay ray said i noticed they have made this one different in some ways. that being said, you guys are right, commercial would be the best idea. i would like to get up to 15 yards this year.

You could call it "Flatucranial grasshortners"

FART HEAD
12-20-2009, 04:12 PM
How about greater flatulence. Wow to hard of a word to spell. Think i will go with the troy built, after reading the last guys ratings off the picture i put up. Although the dealers here are really nice, they take stubborn bolts off for me for free.