PDA

View Full Version : When do you retire equipment?

Bunton Guy
12-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Ok so I've got plenty of equipment sitting around that has one thing or another broken on it that has just been left till I can find parts to fix.

One is bugging me more than others I have a Robin trimmer that when I bought it new ( 5 years ago) I only used it for one complete season and when I went to start the next fresh season in the spring the gear box on the end of the string trimmer seized up. I looked the part # up 6273001006 and its $125+ everywhere I look.

At what point do you generally say ok that's to much and throw the equipment out? I'm uncomfortable with the fact that I could purchase this new part for this trimmer and the following week something else can go out. I think I bought it for around $350 new its the 30cc model

STIHL GUY
12-07-2009, 09:52 PM
when it starts getting expensive to fix the equipment and its always breaking every week or 2 i decide to get it replaced

grassman177
12-07-2009, 09:57 PM
pretty big gamble on the trimmer, but you could always sell it

mowerbrad
12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
I shouldn't be the one to say this right now, but....typically I would retire a piece of equipment when I can't find parts, it breaks down often, or it's performance has gone down due to age. But I usually sell my equipment before it gets to that point so I can get a little money out of it.

But everyone does things differently, some people replace equipment every year or every other year, even if that piece of equipment has under 1000 hours.

topsites
12-08-2009, 01:56 AM
I NEVER throw it away, I keep those for parts, never know when I might need something.

Richard Martin
12-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Your scenario is the reason I try to stick with one brand and model for so long. I've been using Shindaiwa T-230 trimmers for over 10 years now. I have 1 junk one for parts, a back up and the one I take with me every day. I don't have to buy parts very often. If I do it's usually a gasket or something like a clutch.

With my mowers I just run them until I get tired of working on them.

jkilov
12-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Your scenario is the reason I try to stick with one brand and model for so long.

You are so right about that Rich. Even if it's not the same model parts may be exchangeable within a manufacturer line.

As far as selling units it's not my thing. Once it shows signs of age I buy a new one. This gives me time to find cheap or used parts. Once repaired the old unit is used and abused for dirty tasks until it completely falls apart. After that I strip it of any useful intact parts (carbs, coils, pumps, clutches, anything) and the rest goes to a junkyard. No sense in having a back yard full of scrap. Some parts I sell, give to friends, others that fit new machines are kept as spares.

In your predicament I would buy the same trimmer again if you liked it and keep this one for parts. I you rather try something else, use the engine for something else, like making a motorized bicycle, they're very popular these days, sell over the Internet or give to the neighbor's kids to toy with.

bohiaa
12-08-2009, 10:25 PM
I retire it when I get sick of spending money on it

WalkerMike98
12-08-2009, 10:31 PM
when it cost more 2 fix than it is worth

LouisianaLawnboy
12-09-2009, 12:44 AM
I sell it!

If something is around 1/2 its value to fix I generally will sell it.

XLS
12-09-2009, 01:10 AM
i see alot of guys say 1/2 to fix they sell , In my mind this could only work on small equipment right i mean even if an engine and a hydro goes out at one time it dont cost 6 k to fix it ???? when do you replace the trucks and mawers? what parts can go out at one time that cost 14k? i may be over thinking it

RLS24
12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
if it cost more than 1/2 of the price of a new one....dump it!

LouisianaLawnboy
12-09-2009, 04:07 PM
i see alot of guys say 1/2 to fix they sell , In my mind this could only work on small equipment right i mean even if an engine and a hydro goes out at one time it dont cost 6 k to fix it ???? when do you replace the trucks and mawers? what parts can go out at one time that cost 14k? i may be over thinking it

I replace if its more than half the value. A mower with a broken motor and hydro aint worth the original selling price.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
12-09-2009, 04:46 PM
When I feel like having new toy!!!:laugh:

freshprince94
12-09-2009, 07:14 PM
I keep handhelds 1.5-2 years. I have a small business, so my handhelds don't get abused. I sell them while they can still get a good price, by the time I sell them I can usually get something better without paying out the nose.

lifetree
12-09-2009, 07:32 PM
... typically I would retire a piece of equipment when I can't find parts, it breaks down often, or it's performance has gone down due to age. ...

Sounds like a plan to me !!

AL Inc
12-09-2009, 10:33 PM
I also try to buy along specific brands, right now I have mostly Echo, Scag/Ferris walk behinds, Wright Stander, and Little Wonder w/ Honda engines. The only machine I turn over regularly (3 years) is the Stander. I will do a replacement motor on a walk behind mower or push blower, two cycle stuff usually gets used until its done. I keep the old machines to cannibalize parts for other machines, I have a decent inventory of used parts.

brucec32
12-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I consider 2 cycle equipment out of warranty as a disposable, as the repair costs and time/hassle to get it to the shop and picked up are not worth it. If it is something I can diagnose and fix myself, I will replace carbs, ignition modules, recoil assemblies, etc, but don't bother with anything inside the engine. Nothing sucks more than paying for a repair and having it die of something else a month later. But even fixing it yourself, you have to ask if it's worth your time at some point.

I try to stick to the same brand so as to use old machines for parts. Sticking with common brands also helps with parts availability via the internet.

The way I use them they all seem to cost about $100/year to operate, so squeezing out another year or two repairing them doesn't really save much. I like to retire them when they start showing signs of power loss so that they're around as backups or ocassional use. (I put an older trimmer engineon an edger and used the newer engine on the trimmer, as I rarely have to use a stick edger)

That last 50 hours you run a machine trying to max it out may kill it, leaving you w/o an otherwise nice backup machine.

With more expensive machines like ZTR's of course you can afford to repair them longer into their lives. Still, there is a 'sweet spot' there where they still bring a nice price at resale. Too many hours and the pool of buyers seems to drop, as they are nearing the time where major cost repairs may be necessary. I don't work on engines, so obviously I sell them before they require that.

XLS
12-10-2009, 08:04 PM
i found out today ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when we get ready too lol
i have a powersteering pump go out ,the pulley got play in it and the serpintine belt went off and wraped around everything ruined it and it was 3 weeks old . i said to myself dsmn you ,leave me stranded i dare you !!!! so i am geting new this weekend if weather works out . the repairs would only total $72.00 but it left me stranded