PDA

View Full Version : 2000 dodge ram 2500 4x4 advice wanted

redmax fan
12-08-2009, 03:01 AM

heavy duty towing package with biggest dana rear end

automatic

90,000 miles

always has ran conventional oil

just bought it , was taken good care of and only used for personal transportation . and im wondering if anyone with experience with these trucks could pass on any tips

Stillwater
12-08-2009, 05:16 AM
Got a 01 what do you want to know?

fool32696
12-08-2009, 05:17 AM
Put aside some money for when the tranny fails.

WH401
12-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Looks like it has the gas 5.9 engine, correct?

Gravel Rat
12-08-2009, 07:36 PM
If it has the 5.9 360 gas better buy shares in your local gas station you will need them. Very piggy on fuel. The rear axle is a Dana 60 its not huge by any means.

Greg78
12-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Got a '99 3500 DRW Quad Cab with the Cummins. What do you want to know?

hondarancher4435
12-08-2009, 09:27 PM
have a 96 2500 cummins. Few things to watch out for

Rusting fenders and bottom of doors

Like stated keep an eye on transmission but the dodge transmissions are alot better than what you hear all the non dodge owners seem to hear one complaint and think they are horrible transmissions but in reality mine has 170,000mi on it behind the cummins and if it failed tomorrow it owes me nothing

redmax fan
12-08-2009, 09:47 PM
yes its the 5.9 gas

all stock / has the tranny cooler

- wondering if anyones added a after market front end steering stabilizer as this truck tends to sway a bit

- wondering if when you change your tranny fluid if you ever changed throttle control / out put sensors

- read that adding a extra ground in a particularly coursed manner is said to help with the tranny problems . its coursed from a few different parts before you bolt it to frame , anyone did that

- im always shutting off the over drive unless im on highway as to me the overdrives just going to make tranny go through extra movements which cant be good imo

- i want to remove the air conditioning as i never use it and dont want the thing in the way of working on motor , anybody ever do that

- sometimes the wipers stop in middle of window when i shut them off , is that wiper motor or switch on collum . just for anyones info = i called dodge dealership about a new wiper motor and the guy was shocked when he looked it up as it went from like 150 to 500 in one year . called 2 dealerships said same thing . called auto zone and can get one for 65 with life time guarantee

WH401
12-08-2009, 10:21 PM
yes its the 5.9 gas

all stock / has the tranny cooler

- wondering if anyones added a after market front end steering stabilizer as this truck tends to sway a bit

- wondering if when you change your tranny fluid if you ever changed throttle control / out put sensors

- read that adding a extra ground in a particularly coursed manner is said to help with the tranny problems . its coursed from a few different parts before you bolt it to frame , anyone did that

- im always shutting off the over drive unless im on highway as to me the overdrives just going to make tranny go through extra movements which cant be good imo

- i want to remove the air conditioning as i never use it and dont want the thing in the way of working on motor , anybody ever do that

- sometimes the wipers stop in middle of window when i shut them off , is that wiper motor or switch on collum . just for anyones info = i called dodge dealership about a new wiper motor and the guy was shocked when he looked it up as it went from like 150 to 500 in one year . called 2 dealerships said same thing . called auto zone and can get one for 65 with life time guarantee

- Check the ball joints and steering components, loose or damaged parts in those areas can causes excessive wandering on the road.

- Never heard of doing this, but that doesn't mean no one does it, I've never had anything but a 5.9 Cummins in a Dodge. I would say just drop the pan, replace the filter, and refill the transmission with the same amount of fluid that came out.

- Not sure about this either, though adding a ground doesn't sound like it would improve the transmission at all.

- Unless your towing, I would just let the transmission do it's thing. Letting it go into overdrive isn't going to be a problem when running around unloaded, or even lightly loaded.

- I'd just leave the air conditioning in unless it really bothers you. It shouldn't get in your way with normal maintenance, and if you have to do any kind of serious repair work where the compressor and all would need to be removed than I wouldn't have bought the truck in the first place.

- Sounds like there's a connection issue as it seems the motor isn't able to properly register when the switch gets turned off. I would look at the switch before I looked at the motor, though it's simple enough to just slow the wiper down, wait for it to get to the bottom of the windshield, and then turn it off. If the dealer wants $500 and Autozone wants $65, than someone is giving you a wrong parts listing. Two of the same parts aren't going to be priced that far apart.

redmax fan
12-08-2009, 10:36 PM
THANX WH401

im not real mechanical , but i was reading alot about the tranny issue on line at dodge forums and guys were talking about something electrical kicking things on and off in the tranny . maybe causing it to shift at wrong times , not sure . but i saw a couple guys into it talking about a grounding pattern that stops the electrical issues . i guess the output or control sensors are effected badly some how

you see alot of guys say dont flush tranny fluid if its been in too long as the build up of grindings / sediments is kicked up by doing this and they end up clogging the filters or something in tranny , which causes over heating that toasts the torque converter

WH401
12-09-2009, 12:05 AM
THANX WH401

im not real mechanical , but i was reading alot about the tranny issue on line at dodge forums and guys were talking about something electrical kicking things on and off in the tranny . maybe causing it to shift at wrong times , not sure . but i saw a couple guys into it talking about a grounding pattern that stops the electrical issues . i guess the output or control sensors are effected badly some how

They may have been talking about the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. Those two parts cause flare or erratic shifting in the transmissions that are put behind the Cummins in those years, and even up until about early 07'. I would assume the gasser have the same parts, but that's just a guess.

jbell36
12-16-2009, 12:46 AM
# of things i replaced

-transmission
-engine
-heater core
-knuckle joint
-catalytic converter/muffler
-busted gasket in the engine that was sucking oil
-rust

I also have that steering problem that you mentioned earlier, it sways as if it almost doesn't have power steering...a/c also has a leak somewhere

it's a '99 1500 4x4, bought it in '04 for under $14,000 with 48,000 miles...given mine is the definition of a lemon but those are the things that i would tell you to watch out for...not to discourage you but this is why i will never buy a dodge again

pitrack
12-16-2009, 02:34 AM
# of things i replaced

-transmission
-engine
-heater core
-knuckle joint
-catalytic converter/muffler
-busted gasket in the engine that was sucking oil
-rust

I also have that steering problem that you mentioned earlier, it sways as if it almost doesn't have power steering...a/c also has a leak somewhere

it's a '99 1500 4x4, bought it in '04 for under $14,000 with 48,000 miles...given mine is the definition of a lemon but those are the things that i would tell you to watch out for...not to discourage you but this is why i will never buy a dodge again

I loved my 01'. Not a lick of problems.

OP: Take care of it and it should take care of you.

Panhead
12-16-2009, 03:18 AM
Any truck has flaws and don't automatically think its a lemon. I work at a used car lot and ive seen how people take care of vehicles. If you take care of it and do regular maintenance using OEM parts, it'll take care of you.

As for the 318\360 engines, they are good and make decent power. I've seen both engines last a little over 200k easily before needing a rebuilt. Use WIX filters. I would also recommend you to stick with one OIL. If you do city driving, be easy. Try to avoid using O\D in the city. Any automatic transmission doesn't like hard city driving.

jbell36
12-17-2009, 10:37 PM
I loved my 01'. Not a lick of problems.

OP: Take care of it and it should take care of you.

ya i agree, and trust me, this was my first truck therefore it was still fun to clean and change the oil etc...it definitely wasnt deprived, the problems started from day 1, shouldn't have bought it out of state...my dad told me not to buy a dodge but i thought if i take care of it then i won't have any problems...now our fords, no problems at all...only had to change the starter which makes sense because we start it about 20 or so times a day during the mowing season, 9 years too...

South Florida Lawns
12-17-2009, 11:20 PM
don't forget about the dash. the plastic likes to crack and collaps when going down a bumpy road. dont ask me how i know this lol.

S&S Outdoor Services
12-23-2009, 01:41 AM
I have a '96 2500 with the cummins, has 385,000 miles on it and is still going. Had a tranny rebuild and some other things. The guy that owned it before me was a real do it yourselfer so some things he did make me wonder WTF. It will need some oil leaks fixed next summer but other than that it's still pretty solid for that many miles. I've had Fords and they were alright but I just like the Dodges. The nice thing about those trucks is you can fix just about anything on there of your a little mechanically inclined. Anyways, good luck, I probably didn't answer any of your questions but oh well.