PDA

View Full Version : Canna any one answer this question?

robert payer
05-19-2002, 09:52 PM
Today at home I planted a tuber of Canna Tropicanna.
This was a late start in Northern Ohio. Approximately how long until it will be in bloom. It was suprising that according to the directions the tuber is only planted two inches deep.

Any help, tips or additional knowledge would be appreciated.

:rolleyes:

CSRA Landscaping
05-19-2002, 10:44 PM
Is that the tiger canna, orange, yellow, and red? They just really started growing here and it will be a few weeks before they bloom yet but will go all summer. Also, they reproduce to the tune of 3 bulbs per year! :eek:

ohiolawnguy
05-19-2002, 10:58 PM
around here, i believe they will bloom mid july, to early august depending o planting time. If im not mistaken, us northerners must pull up the bulbs at the end of each and every season.

I have one customer that plants these every year. all of my knowledge of this plant has been aquired through her. she states that they must be pulled every fall(not an issue down south). these are red cannas, getting about five feet tall by end of year.

That is about all i can tell you about them though. I could always as her a few questions about them. she has been planting them yearly for at least 15 years now.

robert payer
05-19-2002, 11:23 PM
CSRA Landscaping,

In response to your question, this is an orange variety.

Thank You both CSRA and Ohiolawnguy

BigJim
05-20-2002, 05:12 AM
Yep they spike up a flowering shoot and bloom quite quickly,divide them up in the fall/winter and you can get loads of new plants if you split them up carefully.Winter frosts cuts them back,they also grow well in a large planter,keep cutting back the leaves as they go off,as its grown for the colourful leaves not the orange flowers.There is another new variety out called "Bengal Tiger" which has a more yellowy leaf,they both look good planted together.

Lanelle
05-20-2002, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the great pic, Big Jim. That is a good way to have colorful discussions.

robert payer
05-20-2002, 10:19 PM
Yes Lanelle, pleasing and quite colorful! Thank You Big Jim. The garden at your summer home Jim? Looks tropical. Florida Keys perhaps?

Lanelle,
Bradford pear of Canna! I am sure this will leave all others just confused as all heck. (Post past humor) Search Dogwood joke.

Keep up the good work Lawnsite! Great resource here.

robert payer
10-19-2002, 06:14 PM
Months later!

The Canna's did very well. They were enjoyed!

Now to ask about Winter storage of tubers?

Overview anyone?

Lanelle
10-19-2002, 07:36 PM
These are tender tropical bulbs so they need to be taken out of the ground and stored for the winter. Either place them in a box of sawdust/wood shavings or a ventilated bag and store in a cool, dry place such as a basement or garage.

CSRA Landscaping
10-20-2002, 08:35 AM
We leave them in the ground until we want to divide them up, since they multiply so quickly. No harm done by the cold.

Lanelle
10-20-2002, 07:37 PM
There's a big difference between 'cold' in South Carolina and Ohio. How deep does the ground freeze on Beech Island in the wintertime?

CSRA Landscaping
10-21-2002, 07:28 PM
Ground freeze? Wassat?:rolleyes:

Brickman
10-24-2002, 04:06 PM
Now I will never claim to be gardener. I like the looks but would gladly let some one else do the work. But wouldn't you be able to cover the ground with a good layer of leaves, and or straw and have them ok come spring??? That would be less work than digging up every year.

CSRA Landscaping
10-24-2002, 05:36 PM
Some things are just too simple ...

Lanelle
10-24-2002, 11:25 PM
If the canna tubers are in frozen ground they are dead. They are not freeze tolerant.